Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    Perhaps it's simply an overuse issue or the manifestation of an underlying defect aggravated specifically by whatever your leg routine is at the gym. There's no rule that you can't leave out legs but it might be worth looking into leg routines that are geared towards runners. I run 40-50 miles per week and approach legs a lot differently than I used to. My objective with legs now is to maintain a reasonable base strength but more specifically to improve calf/achilles strength and flexibility, adductor/abductor/glute-med balance, and quad/hamstring balance. These three approaches are to manage and prevent injuries that I at least appear specifically prone to having as a result of running. If I tried to combine the running and a truly aggressive strength training program for legs I'd be crippled (I tried it, for a short time).
    ^^^^ This. Nobody has asked OP what kind of exercises he does on leg day, what weight he uses, what his volume is, and whether there might be any form issues. Until we know these things, I think making a distinction between running and weight-based leg exercises is premature.

If OP wants to understand the problem, and the possible solutions, he needs to be specific about what he's doing.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SwoleCPA View Post
    And if his goal doesn't relate to bodybuilding at all why is the OP on a bodybuilding forum.
    LMAO-You really ARE new here, aren't you...

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    I agree with most everything you said, my friend. I personally would not miss leg day on a bet.

But...My point is, people don't seem to read the original post anymore. They just rush to post.

We all know squatting is a cure for cancer, teh AIDS, and every sort of back malady known to man, but the OP asked a simple question. Do I need to train legs if I'm running?

No.

Nowhere did I see a bodybuilding or powerlifting goal.
    I didn't see an absolutely clear objective, either (beside losing weight)
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Gabbar99 View Post
    Kinda apples and oranges.

I've been a runner for close to 30 years at 240 to 310 lbs and have never been injured. Ran a marathon (my 5th) this past November at about 270 lbs. When I'm into running, it's hard to find the physical and mental energy to do lower-body lifting. Plus the lifting leaves your legs dead for running for the next day or longer depending on how hard you lift.

Runners refer to lifting as "cross-training" and can't imagine why you'd lift if it doesn't improve your running. Lifters refer to running as "doing cardio" and can't imagine why you'd run except for fat-burning. I don't cross-train and I don't do cardio. I lift and I run, each for its own sake.

Currently I'm squatting and deadlifting twice a week and running about 5 times per week, but only doing about 20 miles per week. I'm more into lifting currently. Plus, I lost control of my eating after the marathon and put about 20 lbs back on, which makes the running harder and the lifting easier. Last summer and fall when the weather was nice and I was ramping up mileage for the marathon, lifting fell down the priority list and I pretty much dropped it.

You can work hard at both lifting and running, but it's tricky and takes time, mental and physical energy, and planning. I've found it hard to care about both at the same time. One might help the other slightly, but not a whole lot. Doing some of both is good for general health, but you don't need to feel obligated to lift if you find yourself getting into running.
    Excellent post! Damn, couldn't have put it any better........
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    LMAO-You really ARE new here, aren't you...
    Yes I am....so i guess the OP should just listen to your expert advice of NO. Great help

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SwoleCPA View Post
    Yes I am....so i guess the OP should just listen to your expert advice of NO. Great help