Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Trap Bar

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

New Trap Bar

I just ordered a CAP high/low handled trap bar on Amazon, it should be here in a week or so. I really wanted it for deadlifts, since my doctor told me I can't do regular DL's anymore. If I only end up using it for that, that's fine.

I was wondering, however, if anyone else uses a trap bar for anything besides DL's and shrugs....I'm just trying to get maximum use out of the pieces that I have!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    I just ordered a CAP high/low handled trap bar on Amazon, it should be here in a week or so. I really wanted it for deadlifts, since my doctor told me I can't do regular DL's anymore. If I only end up using it for that, that's fine.

I was wondering, however, if anyone else uses a trap bar for anything besides DL's and shrugs....I'm just trying to get maximum use out of the pieces that I have!
    That's all I've ever used mine for (and I use mine on a weekly basis). Some people use it for bent-over rowing and standing overhead presses if you can rack it and have the ceiling clearance. I tried doing seated presses but the bench's backrest got in the way. I have one of the diamond-shaped original Gerard trap bars, but the newer shrug bars may give you the necessary clearance. An incline bench with a short backrest would probably work as well.

Of course, I'm not sure standing OP's or rowing are a good idea if you have a dodgy back. I do chest supported rows myself.
    Last edited by weisgarb; 12-03-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    you can use it for a slightly modified farmers' walk. Only modified because you lose the balance aspect of it.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It can be used for an overhead press, but the CAP doesn't fit racks, so it's a little hard.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    you can use it for a slightly modified farmers' walk. Only modified because you lose the balance aspect of it.
    I have used mine for walks. It works really well on an even grade. It kind of sucks to set down on a hill, though...I'm sure you can imagine why.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    THanks for the input, guys. I kind of knew that there are limited exercises that can be done on a trap bar, I was just kind of wondering if anyone was doing anything really outside the box with theirs. I'll certainly be happy just being able to do deadlifts again. I usually try to avoid equipment that only does one thing, but in my mind, DL's are a pretty critical thing to be able to do.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

I've tried two other movements with my trap bar, but the only ones I do regularly are deadlifts and shrugs. I'm actually doing deficit deadlifts which provide for a range of motion similar to that of a squat.

The other ones that I tried are lat shrugs and overhead press. I really liked doing overhead press with the trap bar, but it's cumbersome to set up unless you have a rackable trap bar. When I tried lat shrugs, I had some interference with my Ironmaster Super Bench. If you want to do them, it's easier to use heavy dumbbells.

Paul Kelso has a chapter about the trap bar and the various movements that you can do with it in his book, Kelso's Shrug Book
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yep.^ Kelsos shrug book is a must read if you have a trap bar, its a great book even if you just read it once and sell it on.

I've never used my bar for anything but shrugs and deadlifts/squatlifts. In the case of shoulder presses I cant really see any benefit that is worth the awkward setup and take down, and its always seemed a bit dangerous to me. I tried bent over rows once but I much prefer a straight bar.

Whats wrong with the back mate? You've made a great equipment choice in gettting a trap bar, its a solid movement to have in your armoury.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have a sorinex rackable bar. It wasn't cheap, but I don't regret it one bit as it makes shrugs and OH presses so much nicer. I believe Black Widow and Edge both offer rackable bars now for much cheaper, but they didn't at the time. I know you've already ordered your bar, so no worries. After you've had it for awhile, if you decide you might want a rackable one, you can always sell yours. They will fetch at least $100 on cl. Not saying you should do this, but since you've decided this is your deadlift bar, you might as well be able to do as much with it as possible....just an option. Ironically, one of the main reasons I went with the Sorinex rackable bar was that my back is a pussy, so I've pretty much sworn off barbell deads as well.

Anyway, I have used the bar for a number of things:

-Deads
    -Shrugs
    -Overhead Presses
    -Farmers walks
    -In a landmine for rows. It is nice for this because it gives you a nice handle and you can stand inside the bar, unlike a barbell (obviously).

Just some thoughts, hope that helps. Here's some pictures of mine:

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I use my trap bar for standing wrist curls in my forearm training as its handles rotate.

Attached Images

You know, I briefly thought about getting a rackable trap bar, but I didn't see the point at the time. I am thinking of getting a Swiss bar in the near future, which should hopefully do a lot of the other stuff....

I have a strained tendon in my lower back on the right side. I forget which tendon it is, but it basically connects my spine to my pelvis. I hurt it a few times several months ago doing squats, deads, and finally on a T bar row (separate occasions). I did physical therapy in August/September, and am just now getting back to a point where I am doing squats again in excess of 200 lbs--I've been taking things really slowly.

I don't mind having a trap bar for one purpose only--as I mentioned above, deads are a pretty critical item as far as I am concerned. I might try to do farmer's walks with it, I can see that being beneficial to my routine. I'm not as sure about overhead presses--that seems like it would put a lot of strain on my shoulders.

Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    I use my trap bar for standing wrist curls in my forearm training as its handles rotate.

That's really cool! I don't think I have ever seen a design like that for a trap bar!

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Trapping in the rack. Jeebus. Could be worse. Like curling in the rack. . . .
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Gonna have to do a set of trap curls in the rack tomorrow...... we shall name them "atty curls"

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    Gonna have to do a set of trap curls in the rack tomorrow...... we shall name them "atty curls"
    That would be entrapment.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Those are done in descending order with open bottles of Johnny Walker Blue Label. . . .
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post

LoL.....

Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    Those are done in descending order with open bottles of Johnny Walker Blue Label. . . .

Not in my gym.....not anymore.

The whiskey reference makes me thirsty though.....

But not for JWBL...at this price:

http://www.amazon.com/Johnnie-Walker.../dp/B0077DS8GG

I'd have to flip some Jack Daniels bottles on Craigslist for awhile in order to afford it, good lord!

On a side note related to this..... I heard Ron White (Blue Collar Comedy Tour) do a radio interview a few months ago and he was asked about his choice of whiskey. He said that for years he'd brought a bottle of JWBL on stage with him and it was widely known that that was his drink. One show they did was close to the place its made and he asked for a tour or something and they basically told him to pound sand. He couldn't believe how they reacted since he'd always given them free advertisement and was genuinely drinking it because he preferred their product. He immediately switched to a lesser brand and I guess those guys were ecstatic to take care of him. Unfortunately I cannot remember the brand, but he was laughing because while he could afford the JWBL, the new brand was like $30 a bottle.

Thought that was interesting, although not anywhere near on topic. Sorry OP.....

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    while we're off topic.

Keet if you haven't already try this:

it's my new favorite and I have had JWBL (although we are comparing bourbon to scotch and that's totally different).

I am actually looking forward to some JWBL on the cruise next month, I can afford it down there.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

I don't pay that price either. The bottle I have now, I got from a duty-free shop. Much cheaper. It is remarkable stuff, which is why Gordon Gekko drinks in the sequel to Wall Street, no doubt. But too expensive.

jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    That's hilarious!!!

I don't pay that price either. The bottle I have now, I got from a duty-free shop. Much cheaper. It is remarkable stuff, which is why Gordon Gekko drinks in the sequel to Wall Street, no doubt. But too expensive.
    Funny cause that is actually the best price I have every seen on it outside of duty-free / foreign lands.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

while we're off topic.

Keet if you haven't already try this:

it's my new favorite and I have had JWBL (although we are comparing bourbon to scotch and that's totally different).

I am actually looking forward to some JWBL on the cruise next month, I can afford it down there.

I'm not going to pretend I can hold my own in a discussion of Scotch vrs Bourbon.... I cannot. I'm a social drinker, but mainly low-brow! I enjoy very good beer, but I have filled plenty of garbage cans with Pabst cans! As far as whiskey goes, I don't drink that much of it in general, but I do so like to sip on a glass from time to time.....and kill a fifth of jack at Christmas parties.....but I digress.

I have not heard of that Whiskey....is it on the high end or average of price, and where would a Columbus native acquire some?

Ah...the duty free, wasn't even thinking about that! I usually grab some Crown when I leave Canada, but perhaps I'll splurge on the Blue next time! Hell, maybe I'll just splurge on a nice bottle of something-something this month, wrap it, and put it under the tree from Santa.......brb, running to the border!

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

oh sorry, I forgot the most important part, Bulleit is like $20-$25 a bottle. And I am like you - I don't know anything about them, but I know what I like. And I like this stuff. A LOT.

Also, despite the Paris-talk spelling, they pronounce it "Bullet"
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well, since we are so off-topic, I'm gonna throw in my malted 2 cents here.

I'm not a big drinker, but not far from me is the Mississippi River Distilling Company. They are small and do a lot of limited run stuff. They are very selective in their choice of ingredients and, as a result, turn out some if the cleanest, smoothest liquors I've ever had the pleasure to try. If you all ever have the chance, give them a try.
    If God had wanted us to be weak, He wouldn't have given us iron.

[]---[] Equipment Crew #28 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #28 ()---()

oh sorry, I forgot the most important part, Bulleit is like $20-$25 a bottle. And I am like you - I don't know anything about them, but I know what I like. And I like this stuff. A LOT.

Also, despite the Paris-talk spelling, they pronounce it "Bullet"
    +1 on the Bulleit! I only have it occasionally, but it is definitely one of my favorites.

Alright.... with respect to rlundregan, because its the Christmas Party Season, and because I'm really feeling thirsty......

I propose that we take this discussion to the slut's thread...... I want to branch out and learn new things...about whiskey.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Alright.... with respect to rlundregan, because its the Christmas Party Season, and because I'm really feeling thirsty......

I propose that we take this discussion to the slut's thread...... I want to branch out and learn new things...about whiskey.
    Whiskey for my brothers and beer for their horses. . . .

Alright.... with respect to rlundregan
    for some reason, I don't think he minds...
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

for some reason, I don't think he minds...
    Not one bit! THis is a subject I can get behind!

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not one bit! THis is a subject I can get behind!

Did someone say behind?

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||