Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Kelei-Style

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jooceman View Post
    I don't really set goals for lifting or physique anymore, I'm really just trying to take it as far as I can go. The rdls are getting scary though, at this rate I'll be repping 4 plates by the 2 year mark.
    You like the front squat + RDL combination yet? Most people hate ditching standard squats/deadlifts but they come around eventually.

Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Considering running a little experiment. I've been going 3 days on 1 day off for a while now. But this time I might try 5 days straight with 2 days off to see how I bounce back. I'm expecting my lifts to drop quite a bit on the 4th and 5th day. But hopefully I strike gold when I come back to the gym.

Originally Posted by Kelei View Post
    You like the front squat + RDL combination yet? Most people hate ditching standard squats/deadlifts but they come around eventually.
    I'm still terrified by the front squats going in but that always goes away by the 4th rep or so. And I never really liked regular deadlifts in the first place, I feel much safer with the RDLs. I definitely prefer this combo over the back squat, deadlift one though. The fact that I'm making such quick progress might have something to do with it lol. And I like not having to worry about getting trapped at the bottom of a back squat or snapping my spine in half because I messed up on my deadlift form.

blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your front squats are impressive man

I've been stuck at the same weight for around 3 weeks give or take

Incredibly hard for me to add weight to them, and I'm lifting less than you on them haha

Do you do each rep successfully after another without a pause?

Or do you pause after each rep for a couple of seconds and then keep going?

I find that after rep 4-5 I begin to rest at the top for a few seconds before going back down.

Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jooceman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by blestsystem View Post
    your front squats are impressive man

I've been stuck at the same weight for around 3 weeks give or take

Incredibly hard for me to add weight to them, and I'm lifting less than you on them haha

Do you do each rep successfully after another without a pause?

Or do you pause after each rep for a couple of seconds and then keep going?

I find that after rep 4-5 I begin to rest at the top for a few seconds before going back down.
    I have also been at the same weight for almost a month, I don't think its anything to worry about tbh. I also pause before going back down for the last few reps but thats honestly more just to give myself time to toughen up lmao.

You also have to keep in mind that I'm heavier than you, 205 is more impressive for you than it is for me. How much weight are you working with anyway?
    Last edited by Jooceman; 11-06-2012 at 06:41 PM.

AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Considering running a little experiment. I've been going 3 days on 1 day off for a while now. But this time I might try 5 days straight with 2 days off to see how I bounce back. I'm expecting my lifts to drop quite a bit on the 4th and 5th day. But hopefully I strike gold when I come back.
    I don't remember exactly, but I think the most I've done was 5 in a row. I want to do the whole 3/1 cycle, I have a feeling I might get stronger when I come back.

I'm still terrified by the front squats going in but that always goes away by the 4th rep or so. And I never really liked regular deadlifts in the first place, I feel much safer with the RDLs. I definitely prefer this combo over the back squat, deadlift one though. The fact that I'm making such quick progress might have something to do with it lol. And I like not having to worry about getting trapped at the bottom of a back squat or snapping my spine in half because I messed up on my deadlift form.
    I find it the opposite with RDLs. I can control better the weight better with deadlifts and I've never been afraid of any back injury, but heavy RDLs are more challenging. If anything will snap my spine in half, it'll be these lol. Fingers crossed for 2 plates soon. I also prefer to start the RDLs by lifting the bar dead rather than unracking it..I know I can deadlift it safely, but I'm not sure I can rack/unrack it safely. I'm a DL lover for sure lol

I used to be dead scared of failing on back squats and getting stuck in the hole, so I did it on purpose. The safety bars were set, I got out nicely, and from that point on, I wasn't afraid of it anymore. Front squats are nice, I don't miss back squats at all right now.

AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AD1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm curious about something. You're doing leg extensions with your bw for each leg, and your front squat is roughly 1xbw. I do leg extensions with my bw for both legs and my front squat is 1xbw...How can this be?

Originally Posted by AD1984 View Post
    I also prefer to start the RDLs by lifting the bar dead rather than unracking it..I know I can deadlift it safely, but I'm not sure I can rack/unrack it safely. I'm a DL lover for sure lol
    Yeah, the squat rack in my gym has a platform that I used to use to load the bar for deadlifts. Then I would start my reps from the top. But I only did that because it was a pain to load and deload the weights with the bar on the ground. Since I got well above 2 plates, it got harder to rack the weight so I learned a trick for taking off the plates. I don't bother with racking and unracking anymore. Now I start from the bottom with a regular deadlift and just count the reps after that one as my RDL reps.

I'm curious about something. You're doing leg extensions with your bw for each leg, and your front squat is roughly 1xbw. I do leg extensions with my bw for both legs and my front squat is 1xbw...How can this be?
    Thats something I've been wondering as well. Maybe some other muscle besides my quads is holding me back. One day when I was doing front squats I noticed my lower back contracting a little harder than my other muscles and I was thinking maybe it might be the weak link. I don't really know though. The upper half of the rep has never been difficult, its always getting out of the hole that tells me when I need to stop.

It could also be that I'm stronger than I think and that I'm just psyching myself out and stopping too early. Because since I've gotten to 205 my front squat progress has really seemed to slow down.
    Last edited by Jooceman; 11-06-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I remember getting pinned during a snatch once, I don't know what happened exactly, it was really strange, it only ever happened once in all my years of OL. My coach and fellow lifters couldn't stop laughing for an hour and as punishment I was assigned to pack up duty for a month.

Anyone who's got experience with OL will know what I'm talking about lol.

blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blestsystem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I find it the opposite with RDLs. I can control better the weight better with deadlifts and I've never been afraid of any back injury, but heavy RDLs are more challenging. If anything will snap my spine in half, it'll be these lol. Fingers crossed for 2 plates soon. I also prefer to start the RDLs by lifting the bar dead rather than unracking it..I know I can deadlift it safely, but I'm not sure I can rack/unrack it safely. I'm a DL lover for sure lol

I used to be dead scared of failing on back squats and getting stuck in the hole, so I did it on purpose. The safety bars were set, I got out nicely, and from that point on, I wasn't afraid of it anymore. Front squats are nice, I don't miss back squats at all right now.

Ha I'm still scared of failing on back squats, definitely love front squats more even though they're a **** load harder.

I've tried racking and unracking for RDL's and deadlifting it up and then doing them.

I prefer the latter. It's easier to get into position and my form is definitely better from the first rep whereas unracking/racking I need 1-2 reps to figure out the form.

I just deadlift the weight up with standard deadlift technique, then I start my RDL reps. So in a way I'm still training my regular deadlift technique a little bit although the weight is lighter than what I'd use for standard deadlifts.

I remember getting pinned during a snatch once, I don't know what happened exactly, it was really strange, it only ever happened once in all my years of OL. My coach and fellow lifters couldn't stop laughing for an hour and as punishment I was assigned to pack up duty for a month.

Anyone who's got experience with OL will know what I'm talking about lol.
    They punished you for getting pinned during a snatch? Is everyone in russia this brutal? I can see why you love these high volume routines so much considering the kind of people you've trained with lol.

So it's not just me who prefers to DL's off the floor, good! And this way, we also get about 10 reps of DL in I think that's going to be the hardest part with adding weight to RDLs, it'll be more challenging to get the weight up.

Thats something I've been wondering as well. Maybe some other muscle besides my quads is holding me back. One day when I was doing front squats I noticed my lower back contracting a little harder than my other muscles and I was thinking maybe it might be the weak link. I don't really know though.

It could also be that I'm stronger than I think and that I'm just psyching myself out and stopping too early. Because since I've gotten to 205 my front squat progress has really seemed to slow down.
    It could also be the machine/question of leverage. I remember I went to Goodlife with a friend once, and the machine for leg extensions had such a weird angle, I couldn't even do them with 40lbs. I thought my knees would snap! I'm short, that probably didn't help..that's why I do the weighted rope crunches on the floor, my feet barely touch the ground on the machine lol.

Have you tried failing on front squats? Setting the pins and going all out?

I remember getting pinned during a snatch once, I don't know what happened exactly, it was really strange, it only ever happened once in all my years of OL.
    Only once? That's good, I think lol. The snatch scares the **** out of me. If I ever want to commit suicide by weights, it's either this or clean and jerk. I'm too much of a klutz to do OL.

Russians don't fck around, man.

I have not tried failing lol. I'll practice failing with just the bar one of these days and then go all out with 205 and see how many reps I get. Who knows, I might surprise myself.

Russia?

I thought Kel was from Aussie lol

Originally Posted by blestsystem View Post
    Russia?

I thought Kel was from Aussie lol
    I was born and raised in Russia, I moved to Australia around 6 years ago. Life is better here although the weather is so hot it's ridiculous. My first summer here I thought I was going to die of heat stroke.

I was born and raised in Russia, I moved to Australia around 6 years ago. Life is better here although the weather is so hot it's ridiculous. My first summer here I thought I was going to die of heat stroke.

There we go, I remember you mentioning you lived in Aussie so I figured you were born there.

That would also explain why you're pale as fuark lol

You're one of them cold winter brahs

Only once? That's good, I think lol.
    Lol obviously you and Jooce don't know much about OL, getting pinned during the snatch is probably the most embarrassing/shameful thing that could happen. The overhead squat part of the snatch is just a formality, you're only squatting like 75% of your overhead squat 1RM, all you need to do is stand up, the other parts of the snatch are the difficult parts. Your snatch is never limited by your overhead squat strength.

Getting pinned during a snatch is akin to getting pinned under the bar during your first rep of bench press with a 10RM etc.

I've got no idea what happened, I just couldn't stand up, it only ever happened once in all my years of OL but that's all it takes, after that you never hear the end of it lol.
    Last edited by Kelei; 11-06-2012 at 07:30 PM.

This morning I woke up with an insane headache and just an overall feeling of weakness so I skipped the gym today. I've been resting all day, and I feel like I could be good to go tommorow but I'm not sure where this came from as I rarely get sick in general and I don't really get headaches...ever...

I haven't taken any real time off from the gym since December so maybe its just my body telling me it needs a break. I may take off until Monday or I might just go and hit it tommorow. It will be a game time decision.

At least you have the option to hit the gym

last week I had to miss 4 days because of hurricane sandy

and right now we have a Nor'easter storm going on right now, supposed to get 8 inches of snow so no gym for me today.. ****

lol at least you have the option to go

How have you been feeling, Jooceman?

How have you been feeling, Jooceman?
    Pretty good. Think I might hit it tommorow actually. I thought maybe I should give myself some more time, its been a while since I've had a break. Last December I took a couple weeks off and since then the longest I had been out of the gym was about 4 or 5 days. I know most people say its good to give yourself a week every few months or so. But I'm bored and I feel good. How often do you guys take breaks from the gym?

ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Pretty good. Think I might hit it tommorow actually. I thought maybe I should give myself some more time, its been a while since I've had a break. Last December I took a couple weeks off and since then the longest I had been out of the gym was about 4 or 5 days. I know most people say its good to give yourself a week every few months or so. But I'm bored and I feel good. How often do you guys take breaks from the gym?

3 weeks on, 1 week off

i didn't like going 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off

deloading for 2 weeks was so boring lol

Originally Posted by ThatOneLurker View Post
    3 weeks on, 1 week off

i didn't like going 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off

deloading for 2 weeks was so boring lol
    Deloading yeah, but I meant actually taking time off from weight lifting.

ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ah, I take none if I can help it.

I had to take around a 2 month break from the gym in may/june and part of july to let tendinitis in my elbows and knees heal (****ty form from bench and back squatting)

I doubt they've healed 100% because my right elbow still feels strain if I lock it out without weight

and my knees feel strain on the first 2-3 sets of front squats and then it goes away

but it's whatever, it's manageable now at least lol

Ah, I take none if I can help it.

I had to take around a 2 month break from the gym in may/june and part of july to let tendinitis in my elbows and knees heal (****ty form from bench and back squatting)

I doubt they've healed 100% because my right elbow still feels strain if I lock it out without weight

and my knees feel strain on the first 2-3 sets of front squats and then it goes away

but it's whatever, it's manageable now at least lol
    Yeaahh, I think I'll just hit it tommorow then. By the way you don't have a log do you? Hasn't it been 3 months by now, I remember you being one of the first ones to jump on this. How has your progress been so far?

Yeaahh, I think I'll just hit it tommorow then. By the way you don't have a log do you? Hasn't it been 3 months by now, I remember you being one of the first ones to jump on this. How has your progress been so far?

Nah I never made a log on here, I log my stuff in a notebook

I love my progress honestly

Every muscle is fuller, more defined and my chest is finally getting gaining some muscle (used to be my hardest muscle to increase mass), and my mind-muscle connection with the exercises are only getting better with time

lol I actually had a pump in my lats after my last pull ups/chin ups D2 session.

The weight increases are somewhat slow but that's only because I don't increase the weight until I can comfortably get 12 reps on my first set

slow bulking my way to 200.. hopefully I can hit that weight by july 2013.

Good to hear you aren't coming down with anything. It's fine to deload if you feel the need for it...just hit the gym every 3 days, it'll give you some time to rest and let your body recover.

A break? Well, I took 3 weeks off at one point, but it wasn't by choice. I had a different training going on, more endurance based, and after training for 8h a day all I wanted to do was shower and crawl into bed lol. Luckily, I'll never have to go through it again. Apart from that, I've never taken time off. The gym is a stress release for me, I don't see it as something that I have to do, it's something I genuinly enjoy and look forward to. I also don't like the strength drop after a break..it feels like starting from scratch and it's so demotivational. It's just easier to keep a certain continuity to my training.

Glad to see you back. Flew too close to the sun? lol

Have you taken any supplements for tendinitis? I think it's the worst in terms on healing period..I'm pretty sure mine will take a long time to heal as well.

Glad to see you back. Flew too close to the sun? lol

Have you taken any supplements for tendinitis? I think it's the worst in terms on healing period..I'm pretty sure mine will take a long time to heal as well.

Ha, yeah.

Yeah I did but I can't remember the name of it.. fuark

It had Cissus and a bunch of other stuff in it, not sure if it helped or not but it's whatever.

I mean mine's not bad anymore but a certain (small) level of it is still there, I'm hoping it'll get better with time.

I'm just taking the Orange Triad multi now since it has a joint complex, and fish oil since it's also good for the joints.

Ha, yeah.

Yeah I did but I can't remember the name of it.. fuark

It had Cissus and a bunch of other stuff in it, not sure if it helped or not but it's whatever.

I mean mine's not bad anymore but a certain (small) level of it is still there, I'm hoping it'll get better with time.

I'm just taking the Orange Triad multi now since it has a joint complex, and fish oil since it's also good for the joints.
    I'm taking Cissus and Animal Flex. All my joints were sore at one point, just walking and standing around was killing my knees, my elbows would hurt just carrying groceries. They helped with that, but the left elbow is still flaring up. With this routine, and all the volume, I won't stop taking them anytime soon..eh, what can you do.