Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile Redfizz is Gonna Get Fit!!!

Hi!

I am a bit nervous since I thought I knew everything I needed to know about getting my body in shape - until I came here. Obviously what I thought I knew was to be right isn't working, so here I am.

I have been doing everything wrong, and thank goodness I finally realized that! I eat so few calories (today I managed to get up to 900+ today), because I used to be ~200lbs, lost 20 with a juice fast, and another 50 with the raw diet. I am back to ~145lbs, and I guess I have to admit that I am just scared of food. (How strange to admit this!) Both my mom and grandmother are extremely obese; in fact, my grandmother had to be forklifted back into bed at the nursing home when she fell out since she's so huge. And I am terrified to follow in their footsteps! Obviously what I was taught by these two people regarding food is completely wrong, so I am trying to relearn nutrition, but there's so much contradicting info out there that I am just confused.

In addition, my aunt is in the fashion industry in NYC, so I have been heavily influenced by the distorted image of what beauty is by that industry. Thank God for BBC's Supersize vs. Superskinny's (can watch on Youtube) look at weight and what can happen when someone doesn't eat enough. It has really opened my eyes to the fact that I need to change the way I approach food and overall health. I know, I know: Eating less than 1000 calories will slow the metabolism down.

Anyway, VoxExMachina's thread Full Body vs. Split Routines really helped answer a lot of questions regarding getting started. I will also see if I can find The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess.

I am 5'4", 145lbs, ~33% bmi (morning/dehydrated measurement), 30" waist. Since I have been a cyclist, I have awesome calves. I do build muscle quickly; I just have an issue getting this stubborn fat off. : /

My goal is to lose body fat, get toned (yes, I realize toned is a bf issue - see? I have been reading bb.com & learning!), look feminine rather than squishy, and ultimately just be fit and healthy. I gain fat on my thighs, butt, and belly easily. My belly and thighs are the two places that drive me bonkers! I have an hourglass figure, and I do like that.

Thanks to this site, I realize that I need to set realistic goals, which means I hope to be fit this time next year.

I am terrified of eating 2000 calories and the whole concept of "gaining". Ahhhh! I am going to need a lot of guidance, wisdom, and encouragement as I try to learn from here on out (again I am buying the book, so I am trying to learn on my own, too). : )

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope this is the beginning of a fun experience and I get to know a lot of you who seem to be very gracious.
    Last edited by Redfizz; 04-15-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yesterday I ordered The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess and am really looking forward to reading it.

I have read the macro/micronutrient sticky thread as well the calorie intake thread. So let's see if I can get this right...

It seems the calculation is - 31 to 37 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [14-16 kcal/ pound], which I fall under, .

Hm. Okay, so I think that means 31-37 calories per kilogram of body weight? So I weight 146 pounds, which is a little more than 66 kilograms. So if I multiply 31 by 66 & 37 by 66, then I need ~2046 - 2400 calories to maintain. Is that right? Wow! Everyone on these threads kept talking about eating 2000 calories. I am concerned that I will gain weight on that. I guess that's okay so long as I am gaining muscle and not fat.

My macro/micronutrient levels have generally been really good for me in the past. I rarely eat anything processed and make most everything from scratch using whole foods.

I am scared about supplements - especially those protein shakes that I have always heard about. Being on the outside of this community, those shakes have always been some mysterious concoction.

It looks like I will be starting with a full-body routine three days a week based on what I read from VoxExMachina's thread Full Body vs. Split Routines. Since I am not that strong yet, I will probably start with ~10 reps/3 times. The weight will be based on failure by the 10th rep. Now I just need to figure out what that is.

My routine may be adjusted based on what I read in the book, but it won't be here for about a week.

We bought a BodySolid commercial-grade gym off of Craigslist for a fraction of the new cost. Therefore, circuit training (is that what it is called?) shouldn't be an issue since I won't be fighting people for the machine.

Now, when I do the 60 second rest, is that between exercise A (rep1) and exercise B (rep1), or is it exercise A (rep1) and exercise A (rep2)?

Thanks to kfisherx's thread Realistic Goals and Competing, I realize that I am not going to be cut in a year - and that's okay. I really appreciated her pointing out that amateurs work out at least two years before they are even considered close to their goals.

Alrighty, I am getting ready to head downstairs and start my first round. I guess I will mostly focus on determining my failure weight. If you have any suggestions or if I am heading in the wrong direction, please let me know! The one thing that has impressed me the most about this community is the insight and wisdom that is given and how many people regret not listening to it a year or two ago. (Plus after looking at many of your pictures, you have a lot more credibility than that squishy researcher who is spewing "should's and shouldn't's" ) I want to do this the right way.

I did one set of my exercises yesterday to determine my failure weight for each one. Today I hurt - a lot. And I LOVE IT!

Oh, and my weight bounced by 2.5 pounds, but my BMI is down by 2% thanks to my muscles hoarding water. I managed to get my calories up to a little more than 1000, and I was hungry by the time I went to bed. Hopefully this means I will be able to eat more today.

I feel fabulous, alert, and today I will take my pup out for a walk.

Tomorrow I will do another round. Since I am just starting out, should I stick with one set for this week or go into 2 or 3? I don't want to rush into this and hurt myself, but I also don't want to waste time when I should be pushing myself.

Oh, and I have a new goal thanks to all of the info on this site that stresses that it will take at least 1 year to see results and up to 2 to be fabulous: We hope to buy a boat by next summer, and I want to wear a bikini on our maiden outing on the boat!

I am ready!

dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey Redfizz, thanks for popping by my journal. Congrats for starting on the road to a fit and strong body. You seem to be sensible about where you expect to be in a years time. Too many folks expect to see great results in a couple of months. This takes time! I like to think of it as a lift style not a short term situation. Think like that and you'll do just fine.

I see you're a bit wary of protein shakes....don't be. Sure, try and eat real sources i.e.. chicken, fish, eggs when you can but it does come in handy. I add it to my porridge each day and take a scoop after my workout. It's a clean one with no sugars etc added.

Definitely start your training lifting less than your max. That way it allows your body to adjust to whats coming over the next months. I agree that following a full body workout 3 times a week is best for a newbie. Concentrate on the big lifts...squats, presses, deadlifts etc and forget the smaller isolation moves for now. Remember to get those calories up....1000 is way too little. Even when I was trying to lose weight I never went below 1450 and I'm much taller than you.

You say you're out to lose fat....eat below maintenance by 300-500 calories.......

If you eat at maintenance you may successfully recomp because you're a newbie. Rowyn's journal is a great read if you're unsure of what recomping is:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ighlight=rowyn

Good luck with your goals...
    Your body is a temple, but only if you treat it as one!

Journal 2011- "Bring On The Muscle Part II: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136157271

swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Redfizz View Post
    I am ready!
    Truly, one of the most important things.....have short and long term goals, and be motivated to achieve them. I know you can do it!
    Caring about what people think of you is useless. Most people don't even know what they think of themselves.

Stop watering dead plants

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wait...I'm confused Wasn't your journal a few pages long?? Am I going crazy????
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers

Current Journal: Adventure Time with Turkey
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170094463&p=1489770341#post1489770341

My Super Awesome SNS log- Lori Battles the Holiday Pudge (Finished):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140145363&page=2

"She's not overtraining- she just trains stupid" -Kimm4

JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sounds like you're on the right track! It's so hard to readjust the thinking after years of must. lose. weight. Eat less, more cardio thinking. I'm right there with you, but I've been lifting since January, and I LOVE it.

Glad to have a fellow newbie to keep me sane as well!

Also, I have started a new, non-whiney journal, which is at:

There's No Whining When Getting Sexy!
    ~TEAM AMAZON~ Sisterhood of Iron

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144133491
    MyFitnessPal Food Diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/perpetua3d

"Whether you think you can or you thing you can't, you're right!" - Henry Ford