Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    * My life has been stressful.....my excuse for late updating of journal
    * Mum back in hospital. They've found a growth in her intestines and they are operating today....prayers!

Thank goodness I have the gym. It keeps me sane

Lower Strength/Hypertrophy: Week 4C (Shock Loading) - Tuesday 20th September
    Working sets only:

Couldn't get near the squat rack to begin with:

45 degree Leg Press - 120Kg:10, 140Kg: 8,8

Back Squats - 72.5Kg: 3,3,3,3 PB

RDL: 75Kg: 6,6,6,6

Lying Leg Curl: 35Kg: 5,6,5...less reps than last week

Rotary Calf Machine: 42.5Kg: 22,17,12

Hanging Leg Raises: 19,19,17 (turned around after I'd finished my sets and this guy was standing staring at me.....freaked me out...had he been watching the whole time?

* Workout Time: 1Hr 15mins

* Cals: 2441

Originally Posted by BrandyTKO View Post
    I'm with you on the cardio, not a big fan, I'll use it when I want to cut. Good for posting your bulking stats, you have gained some and I think you will be surprised how much is muscle once you cut. I envy your assisted chins, I really struggle with them, but I think its my shoulder problem.

I'm kind of enjoying the bulk phase right now, no cardio, eating lots (more than that measly 1700 my PT had me on), just going with it and noticing that my lifts are getting stronger really fast. YES! BUILD! Looks like you are doing well in they weight room. Keep going, Dawn!
    I won't be impressed with my chins until I can do them unassisted. I could probably knock out 1 at the moment. Good for you taking the decision to bulk. I'm loving the strength I have and I'm sure my legs are growing, albeit slowly, at long last. Keep me posted on your bulking progress. It's fab that we're both doing it at the same time.

Went to the gym early today so that I could visit mum tonight. She's out of surgery, responding well and no complications to speak off. Can't wait to see her.

Upper Hyper Week: 4C (Shock Loading) -Thursday 22nd September
    Working sets only

U/H Bent Over Rows - 42Kg: 9.8,8,8

Assisted Pull-Ups (5 sec Neg) - 17.5Kg: 7,7,7

Straight Arm Pulldowns - 32.5Kg: 7,7,6 ( I wish I had micro weights...)

Floor DB Press - 16Kg: 7 (gave up on this one today...shoulder said NO)

Chest Press Machine - 35Kg: 10,10 (did this one instead of above)

Pec Flye Machine: 25Kg: 12,8,9 (2 sec squeeze)

Push Ups: 12,11,10

[b[Tri-set[/b]
    DB Front Raise 7Kg: 10,9,8
    Bent Over Lat Raises 7Kg: 10,10,10
    Lat Raises: 7Kg: 10,8,6

Assisted Narrow Grip Tricep Dips 15Kg: 12,12,12

Assisted Chin-Ups: 17.5kg: 10,7,7

* Workout Time: 1hr 20mins
    * Cals: looking for 2500
    Your body is a temple, but only if you treat it as one!

Journal 2011- "Bring On The Muscle Part II: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136157271

BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Firstly, sorry to hear abour your Mum, but glad she is done her surgery and recovering.

LOL about the squat rack, seems to be a problem getting near one in my gym as well, I had a bit of an issue about that yesterday. I think some guys get freaked out watching girls do hanging leg raises it looks so hard core, but sometimes I find it easier than resting on elbow as my shoulder usually gets tired holding me up before the leg raises wear me out. Weird that guy was staring at you though.

A few times this week I've wanted to go run around madly to burn off fat because I don't like the excess weight, but then I think of you doing your bulk at the same time as me and I just say to myself, well if Dawn is bulking then so can I! Then I go and eat some more...ha, ha. I read recently that to get legs to grow you need LOTS of protein so make sure you are getting your 1.5 grams per pound of body weight.
    Brandy
    Kicking the @*%$ out of fat, one day at a time!

Competition Thread 2009 - 2011: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117554221&p=808044511#post808044511

dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dawndm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's hardly worth posting last nights workout. In the 2 years that I've been hitting the gym seriously, never have I felt so burnt out at the gym. I'm not even sure if it's all in my head, with all that's been going on this week, or if my body is just spent! I had to give up during the 2nd set of my squats. I just wasn't right. I managed a few small exercises after that but then decided to call it a night.

Anyhoo, this is the end of the 3rd cycle of this workout....12 weeks in total. Next week, I will either have a complete week of rest of go for a deload with very light weights. After, I'm going to decrease my workouts from 4 to 3 days a week. I'm looking at a pull/push/legs routine. It looks as though I'll have to move in with mum for a while once she gets out of hospital and it'll be more practical to get there for just 3 days.

Monday, I'll weigh in and hopefully take progress pics to see if I've made progress these past 12 weeks.

Here's last nights poor workout:

Lower Hypertrophy: Week 4C (Shock Loading) - Friday 23rd Sept
    Working sets only:

Squats: 67.5Kg: 12,5 then that's all folks

RDL: 67.5Kg: left these out

Bulgarian Split Squats: 24Kg: 10,10,10 at least more reps on these

Standing Calf Raise: 43Kg: Toes centre 22, Toes Out 12, Toes In 14 (Hold for 2 secs at top of move)

Hyperextensions: 17.5Kg: Left these out too

I stretched and contorted myself on one of those vibrator machines for about 10 minutes. Don't know if it did much but it sure felt good.

* Tonights Workout Time: Probably no more than 45 minutes

* Cals: 2326

Firstly, sorry to hear abour your Mum, but glad she is done her surgery and recovering.

LOL about the squat rack, seems to be a problem getting near one in my gym as well, I had a bit of an issue about that yesterday. I think some guys get freaked out watching girls do hanging leg raises it looks so hard core, but sometimes I find it easier than resting on elbow as my shoulder usually gets tired holding me up before the leg raises wear me out. Weird that guy was staring at you though.

A few times this week I've wanted to go run around madly to burn off fat because I don't like the excess weight, but then I think of you doing your bulk at the same time as me and I just say to myself, well if Dawn is bulking then so can I! Then I go and eat some more...ha, ha. I read recently that to get legs to grow you need LOTS of protein so make sure you are getting your 1.5 grams per pound of body weight.
    Thanks for your kind thoughts re-mum. We won't know for 2 weeks whether the growth is anything to worry about. She's had such a hard time. Mouth cancer 12 years ago, tongue cancer 3 years ago and now this. How much more can she take.

I'm so happy that I'm inspiring you to keep going with the bulk. I'm going to find it very hard when I cut....I so used to more food now.

I'll try your leg extensions in my next routine and let you know how I get on.

Journal 2011- "Bring On The Muscle Part II: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136157271

BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandyTKO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well good for you for at least getting into the gym. Sometimes you never know, you don't feel like it, but then it goes really well. I had a similar workout on Saturday for arms, had some trying personal issues going on and was mentally exhausted, the workout didn't go so well. I think the mind plays a huge role in how it all goes down at the gym.

The vibrating machine sounds good. I was going to use the sauna at my gym the day of my poor workout, but it was closed for repair. Drat!

Keep your chin up, Dawn!
    Brandy

Competition Thread 2009 - 2011: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117554221&p=808044511#post808044511

Not posted in a while. I've moved in with mum for a while until she gets back on her feet. The growth they removed from her colon was cancerous....we need to wait now to see what happens.

I'm still working out, albeit, reduced to 3 x weekly for now. I've lost a little weight....not intended....but life gets in the way. So for now, eating healthily but not counting cals. I won't be posting again for a while as mum has no internet. Hoping 2 weeks maximum and she should be back on her feet.

Well good for you for at least getting into the gym. Sometimes you never know, you don't feel like it, but then it goes really well. I had a similar workout on Saturday for arms, had some trying personal issues going on and was mentally exhausted, the workout didn't go so well. I think the mind plays a huge role in how it all goes down at the gym.

The vibrating machine sounds good. I was going to use the sauna at my gym the day of my poor workout, but it was closed for repair. Drat!

Keep your chin up, Dawn!
    My chin is high Brandy........

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. I am sure she appreciates having you stay with her, it will be a huge comfort. Yes, life gets in the way of our plans sometimes, but you just have to go with the flow. Best wishes to you and I will look forward to reading your posts again when you are able to.
    Brandy

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've been wondering about you and your mum! So sorry to hear of her condition. Life has a way of throwing curve balls! I believe difficulties will always present themselves, but more importantly is how we respond to them. Seems like you are doing an excellent job at finding balance and dealing with the circumstances with dignity and grace.

Hang in there and let us know how things go.

Okay, back in here. I've been good at keeping my gym schedule.....at least 3 times a week but usually 4. However, my motivation hasn't been at its greatest but at least I've done what I can.

Hopefully, getting my ass back in here will make me accountable again.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. I am sure she appreciates having you stay with her, it will be a huge comfort. Yes, life gets in the way of our plans sometimes, but you just have to go with the flow. Best wishes to you and I will look forward to reading your posts again when you are able to.

Originally Posted by thepowerwithin View Post
    I've been wondering about you and your mum! So sorry to hear of her condition. Life has a way of throwing curve balls! I believe difficulties will always present themselves, but more importantly is how we respond to them. Seems like you are doing an excellent job at finding balance and dealing with the circumstances with dignity and grace.

Hang in there and let us know how things go.
    Thanks for your support girls........lets do this!

So glad to see you back, Dawn. Glad to hear you've managed to keep up your training. Definately, LET'S DO THIS!
    Brandy

thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    3-4 times a week is excellent. I've been known to drop off from Thanksgiving through New Year's. Life just gets a hold of me. Looking forward to following your training and progress. Yes, let's do it!

Been away from the site for a while. In short, I've never stopped attending the gym, still 4 times weekly, but my shoulder was causing major problems for me so I stopped logging my workouts as so many exercises were out for me. Majority of shoulder and chest exercises were causing me pain...even squats were out as my shoulder couldn't handle the weight. I still worked out 4 times a week but just doing what my shoulder would allow on the night. I lost a lot of strength and spent a lot of time doing shoulder rehab. I'm now on the mend and strength is coming back again...happy days. Squats and BB presses are out and I really need to be careful with all other chest exercises, making sure I connect with my scapulas. I still can't do overhead presses but most other shoulder work is okay with a little change to the ROM. I've replaced squats with the leg press machine until such time my shoulder can handle them again. I'm still not following a set routine just going with what my shoulder can do on the night. Happy to be back in here though.

I have thought about you countless times! I have a shoulder I have to baby as well, but doesn't sound quite as bad as yours. And, yes, when it's aching, back squats are excruciating!! I have to put at least 2 days between chest and squat day, as I find it's particularly inflamed after any kind of chest pressing, whether BB or DB, but better with DBs.

Did you have any studies such as x-ray or MRI or CT of the shoulder? What was the diagnosis? What did they have you do in rehab?

Oh, about leg presses instead of BB squats, I did that for about 2 years since my gym only had a Smith, and I was able to make excellent progress. I also did horizontal presses on the Smith, but I found the vertical leg press much more effective overall.

Anyway, so glad you're back!!

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dawndm View Post
    Been away from the site for a while. In short, I've never stopped attending the gym, still 4 times weekly, but my shoulder was causing major problems for me so I stopped logging my workouts as so many exercises were out for me. Majority of shoulder and chest exercises were causing me pain...even squats were out as my shoulder couldn't handle the weight. I still worked out 4 times a week but just doing what my shoulder would allow on the night. I lost a lot of strength and spent a lot of time doing shoulder rehab. I'm now on the mend and strength is coming back again...happy days. Squats and BB presses are out and I really need to be careful with all other chest exercises, making sure I connect with my scapulas. I still can't do overhead presses but most other shoulder work is okay with a little change to the ROM. I've replaced squats with the leg press machine until such time my shoulder can handle them again. I'm still not following a set routine just going with what my shoulder can do on the night. Happy to be back in here though.
    Welcome back. You've been missed!

On squats, don't feel guilty. Leg Presses can be just as good as squats, I've found the last few months. I gave up squats and deadlifts because they were bad for my physique( squats= big butt!!). Leg presses, hack squats and Smith Machine front squats are making my legs bigger, harder and with more sweep.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

I have thought about you countless times! I have a shoulder I have to baby as well, but doesn't sound quite as bad as yours. And, yes, when it's aching, back squats are excruciating!! I have to put at least 2 days between chest and squat day, as I find it's particularly inflamed after any kind of chest pressing, whether BB or DB, but better with DBs.

Did you have any studies such as x-ray or MRI or CT of the shoulder? What was the diagnosis? What did they have you do in rehab?

Oh, about leg presses instead of BB squats, I did that for about 2 years since my gym only had a Smith, and I was able to make excellent progress. I also did horizontal presses on the Smith, but I found the vertical leg press much more effective overall.

Anyway, so glad you're back!!
    Hi you, thanks for not forgetting me. I didn't go to the doc, just self-diagnosis and reading up on rehab. Best exercises were for strengthening my scaps, especially this one:

I struggled with no weight to begin with but now I'm using 4kg's DB's. I know self diagnosis isn't a good thing but the health service here in the UK isn't too good when it comes to things like sports injuries and there's no way I could afford to go private. I had a shoulder injury in the past and recovered with rehab exercises so I'm well used to these problems.

Good to hear the leg press won't hold me back. In fact if anything, my legs have really grown the past few months. I'm not sure if it's because I'm spending less time in the gym (I was probably over training in the past).

Originally Posted by egoatdoor View Post
    Welcome back. You've been missed!

On squats, don't feel guilty. Leg Presses can be just as good as squats, I've found the last few months. I gave up squats and deadlifts because they were bad for my physique( squats= big butt!!). Leg presses, hack squats and Smith Machine front squats are making my legs bigger, harder and with more sweep.
    Hey Bill, yes I've definitely noticed an improvement in my sweep. Squats and big butts! That's the last thing I need to make bigger LOL! I usually do them single legged....not for any particular reason apart from it means lifting less weight onto the press.

PS. Thanks for missing me

I have similar shoulder issues, OH presses are almost impossible. I have been using the smith machine for squats because I cannot hold the bar with my left hand as it causes too much pain in my shoulder. I just get into position, hold with the right hand only and do my squats. I find I have to go a bit lighter on the weight though as it puts too much demand on the right shoulder/traps. I think despite my effort not to twist toward the bar when I stand, it still happens a bit. I think my shoulder is getting worse, but found that doing pushups of all things, made it seem a bit better. I don't know what the issue is. I have yet to get any physio on it. What did you do for rehab? Glad to see you are back in here!
    Brandy

That shoulder rehab exercise looks difficult. No way you can cheat .

I do the leg press unilaterally too. I sometimes thrown unilateral leg extensions and I do a lot of shoulder work unilaterally too. Not sure why, but I feel like I can make a mind-muscle connection better that way.

I, too, have not been in the gym as much. My co-worker went to London for about 1 month, and I was working nonstop. Now that the weather is so nice and I am trying to lose a few lbs, I've started doing long and short bike rides and skipping lifting for 1-2 days a week. I am probably lifting 3 times a week now. It's a little unnerving, but a nice change .

I have similar shoulder issues, OH presses are almost impossible. I have been using the smith machine for squats because I cannot hold the bar with my left hand as it causes too much pain in my shoulder. I just get into position, hold with the right hand only and do my squats. I find I have to go a bit lighter on the weight though as it puts too much demand on the right shoulder/traps. I think despite my effort not to twist toward the bar when I stand, it still happens a bit. I think my shoulder is getting worse, but found that doing pushups of all things, made it seem a bit better. I don't know what the issue is. I have yet to get any physio on it. What did you do for rehab? Glad to see you are back in here!
    Shoulder injuries suck, I'll never take mine for granted again. You use them in so many exercises but I'm getting my strength back.

Try the following exercises, all with light weights 3 x 15....I've been doing them once a week for 9 months now:

1. Cable internal and external rotations
    2. Prone W to L - The exercise in above post ^^^^^^^^
    ....do this exercise thumbs up for one set then down for one set
    4. Not sure what to call this one...but hold a light DB (or none if there's pain) at shoulder level 45 degrees and drop your arm till your forearm is parallel to the ground and raise back up...slow for this one.
    5. Scapula rolls, forwards and back...not sure of correct name but kinda like shoulder rolls but really squeeze your scaps together in middle of move.

However, I will add, that I only did exercises that didn't hurt my shoulder. No: 4 exercise caused me problems so I started with no weights and used my good hand to support my opposite upper arm until I got stronger. Also, I think with me, my problems stemmed from my scaps so I spent a lot of time working them, even between exercises on non shoulder days.

That shoulder rehab exercise looks difficult. No way you can cheat .

I do the leg press unilaterally too. I sometimes thrown unilateral leg extensions and I do a lot of shoulder work unilaterally too. Not sure why, but I feel like I can make a mind-muscle connection better that way.

I, too, have not been in the gym as much. My co-worker went to London for about 1 month, and I was working nonstop. Now that the weather is so nice and I am trying to lose a few lbs, I've started doing long and short bike rides and skipping lifting for 1-2 days a week. I am probably lifting 3 times a week now. It's a little unnerving, but a nice change .
    Yep, I'm trying to lose a few pounds too...too much pasta the past few weeks. I'm going to add some HIIT to the end of my workouts......keep up the good work.

Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Buffycat3 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey Hi

I've come back to journaling too
    I thought I would journal my prep to a July Comp that I will be doing.

I haven't read through your journal yet...but I will soon.

Just wanted to give you support and continue strength!
    In this world, there is Real and Make-Believe. To fear is one thing. To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around is another. ▪█──────█▪

Originally Posted by Buffycat3 View Post
    Hey Hi

I've come back to journaling too
    I thought I would journal my prep to a July Comp that I will be doing.

I haven't read through your journal yet...but I will soon.

Just wanted to give you support and continue strength!
    Hi Joan, I'm so pleased to read that you're doing another comp....you belong on that stage...own it!

Tonight was a good night at the gym, my shoulder is great and I'm feeling my strength returning. So much so, that I think I'll be ready to follow a proper programme in another couple of weeks. Assisted pull-ups were strong for me....@ 22.5kg...ready to drop to 20kg next week.

I'm Happy

Happy Days...I felt awesome in the gym last night...shoulder was wonderful. Still lifting less than before my shoulder injury but I don't care...my strength will come back in time. For the past couple of weeks I've added in 25 mins of HITT at the end of each workout apart from legs day....I struggle to even walk after my leg workouts. Eating fairly clean but tend to treat myself at the weekends. Weighing in at 137 pounds and I think I look quite solid. I'm going to try squatting tonight....as I said before they haven't been in my workouts for a while due to shoulder. I'll keep light, starting with the bar and see how it goes.

Over and out!

I can't express how happy I am....I hit the squat rack with trepidation and went with the empty 20kilo bar first off......success!

Added 10 Kg.......success

Added another 10kg...now at 40kg overall....success....8 reps

Got a little cocky and went for 50kg....somewhat of a success....but due to my lack of squatting over the past few months I seem to have lost strength so only attempted 5 reps. But that was due to my overall fitness...not my shoulder....yippeee!!

So from next week squats will now be back in the programme. I'm going to take it easy and start with 40kg on the bar...a far difference from my PB of 72.5 kilos!

The only exercise that's out for me now is the overhead press....haven't tried it for a while so I'll see how my shoulder performs on Friday and who know's, they may be back on the programme too...

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can't express how happy I am....I hit the squat rack with trepidation and went with the empty 20kilo bar first off......success!

Added 10 Kg.......success

Added another 10kg...now at 40kg overall....success....8 reps

Got a little cocky and went for 50kg....somewhat of a success....but due to my lack of squatting over the past few months I seem to have lost strength so only attempted 5 reps. But that was due to my overall fitness...not my shoulder....yippeee!!

So from next week squats will now be back in the programme. I'm going to take it easy and start with 40kg on the bar...a far difference from my PB of 72.5 kilos!

The only exercise that's out for me now is the overhead press....haven't tried it for a while so I'll see how my shoulder performs on Friday and who know's, they may be back on the programme too...
    Really good sign that you can squat withot a problem.

Overhead, is this with a barbell? If so and there is a problem, try a Smith Machine or Standing DB Presses? Barbells were too much strain on my rotator so I had to drop them.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000) Redfizz is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're doing great!
    ~TEAM AMAZON~ Sisterhood of Iron

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144133491
    MyFitnessPal Food Diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/perpetua3d

"Whether you think you can or you thing you can't, you're right!" - Henry Ford

Good work with the squats. When you've been away from it for awhile, its best to start of lighter, trying not to let your ego overtake you. Its always surprising to me how quicky you can get back up to the heavier weights once you start at it again with regularity. Starting again after a long break makes me feel like a beginner again, but you know its only short term. Nice to see you posting again.
    Brandy

I'm still here and working out strong, just don't find the need or time to post. Anyhoo, for anyone interested, my shoulder is 100% healed and getting stronger.

Squats are light but good form.

I'm 50 in 2 weeks time.....3 years ago I set myself a goal that I knew would be hard to achieve with my puny upper body and large hips. That goal was to manage 10 unassisted pull-ups by my 50th birthday! I know that some folks would be surprised that I set my goal so far ahead. I mean, 3 years is a long time and most people would probably be able to achieve it in 3 months or. Well, I know my body, I know how bottom heavy I am so I knew 3 years would be it. However, I wasn't planning on 2 separate shoulder injuries in this time which took out 1 year of that time.

Anyhoo, for the first time since my last injury I thought I'd try a dead hang this week and see how far I could lift myself up. Now, keep in mind that the last time I was at my fittest I could probably manage a 2 inch lift........

So, I gripped the bar, clenched my teeth and pulled...I went up 1 inch, 2 inches, 3 inches and kept going...

now don't get too excited at this point......I didn't make it all the way up, but I did manage 3 quarters of the way....I was ecstatic.....beside myself....

so I have 2 weeks to go and I know that 10 pull-ups is probably too much at this late stage, but if I could only do one on the day I turn 50 that will make my half century extra special. I reckon if I practice every 2nd day between now and my 50th I'll hopefully hit that one un-assisted pull-up.

I am fitter and stronger now that at any other time in my life...age is nothing! My husband says I look amazing and look better than the 20 year olds out there. I feel great and eat healthily. I love to lift and I'll continue till the day I die. It's become a part of my life and I couldn't see a time I don't do it. I don't know how much longer I can continue adding weight to my lifts but as long as I'm doing my best that's okay with me. I don't feel the want, need or desire to compete, I do this for me and how it makes me feel. I admire those that do compete...Buffycat3, Brandy and Anne-Marie and others....you all look amazing and are great role models for us more mature ladies. You all rock.

Originally Posted by Redfizz View Post
    You're doing great!
    Thanks Redfizz, anyone can achieve this, you only need to do it.

Good work with the squats. When you've been away from it for awhile, its best to start of lighter, trying not to let your ego overtake you. Its always surprising to me how quicky you can get back up to the heavier weights once you start at it again with regularity. Starting again after a long break makes me feel like a beginner again, but you know its only short term. Nice to see you posting again.
    Thanks Brandy, I'm with you there...the tortoise and the hare comes to mind.

Hey, I've got all the time in the world to build them up.

You bet! Take your time, there's no rush on anything.

With the pull ups, I still have the game shoulder, still working with it, around it. Those pull ups have been my nemesis as well. The only time I found it easier to do more was right before my competition when I was leaner, lighter and probably at my strongest. I think I got 4 done. Now I'm back to almost 1, but mostly because my shoulder is worse, not better. I've heard people say they try to do a few pull ups every time they work out, or do a few assisted pull ups, and eventually it just happens.

I'm going to have to re-read your shoulder exercises you did to fix the problem. I need to work on getting that better before I can move forward on a lot of other things.

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday!
    Brandy

50Female will become famous soon enough. (+50) 50Female will become famous soon enough. (+50) 50Female will become famous soon enough. (+50) 50Female will become famous soon enough. (+50) 50Female will become famous soon enough. (+50) 50Female will become famous soon enough. (+50) 50Female will become famous soon enough. (+50) 50Female will become famous soon enough. (+50) 50Female will become famous soon enough. (+50) 50Female will become famous soon enough. (+50) 50Female will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Congratulations on the 3/4 pullup & good luck towards the 1 ! And Happy forthcoming birthday Pullups are a goal for me too. I like your energy, I also feel that at 50 I am just getting better AND stronger.

Originally Posted by 50female View Post
    hey congratulations on the 3/4 pullup & good luck towards the 1 ! And happy forthcoming birthday pullups are a goal for me too. I like your energy, i also feel that at 50 i am just getting better and stronger.
    "like"!!!!
    Brandy

Just stopping by to say Hello! Hope all is well with you.
    Brandy

Just stopping by to say Hello! Hope all is well with you.
    All is great, just turned 50 but sure don't feel it......and hope I don't look it.