Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Deadlifting every other week

I am currently running 531 and my deadlift has been stuck at around 500 for almost 2 years. I have ran the coan program and the ortmayer program without any success. I have recently come to terms that I can't pull every week, that I need to pull every other week. Should I continue to follow 531 or should I change the deadlift portion? I need as much help as I can get on my deadlift, I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I need to improve. I have a video pulling 510 no belt and my form goes to sh!t, if that will help, I'll post it.

p19blackmetal is on a distinguished road. (+10) p19blackmetal is on a distinguished road. (+10) p19blackmetal is on a distinguished road. (+10) p19blackmetal is on a distinguished road. (+10) p19blackmetal is on a distinguished road. (+10) p19blackmetal is on a distinguished road. (+10) p19blackmetal is on a distinguished road. (+10) p19blackmetal is on a distinguished road. (+10) p19blackmetal is on a distinguished road. (+10) p19blackmetal is on a distinguished road. (+10) p19blackmetal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Try.Hard View Post
    I am currently running 531 and my deadlift has been stuck at around 500 for almost 2 years. I have ran the coan program and the ortmayer program without any success. I have recently come to terms that I can't pull every week, that I need to pull every other week. Should I continue to follow 531 or should I change the deadlift portion? I need as much help as I can get on my deadlift, I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I need to improve. I have a video pulling 510 no belt and my form goes to sh!t, if that will help, I'll post it.
    What is your weak point? The vid may help. you are around 2.5 times bodyweight or more for the deadlift already. If you want to get stronger you may have to either eat more or fix your sticking points. I dont know what your nutrition is like so i actually cant say, but eating more may help. On the matter of pulling every week, some can do it, some cannot. I personally squat and deadlift alternating weeks on a 5/3/1 template. If you feel that every week burns you out then i would suggest alternate as i do. There is always a reason why someone stopped making much gains. Where is your squat compared to your deadlift? That info may help as well.

Crazy as a **** house rat YoBigFatMomma's Avatar
    YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You could try this program below, credited to Louie Simmons. It uses submaximal weights up until the last workout so there really isn't the issue of overtaxing yourself training once a week.

"The program started with the lifter having achieved a max single in the deadlift coming into the program. In the first week, the lifter was then to perform 15 singles with 65 percent of that single with short rest periods. For the next week, the percentage was raised five percent and the amount of lifts dropped to 12. This goes on until the fifth week when the lifter has reached 85 percent and performs six singles.

So 65%x15x1, 70%x12x1, 75%x10x1, 80%x8x1, 85%x6x1.

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.ca/2012...dead-even.html
    385/245/485 @ 210

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
    <|>
    ┌8====D
    ⌡ \

johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    148# class Masters 50-54
    100% RAW Fed.
    Squat 290
    Bench 205
    Deadlift 370

Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Try.Hard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by YoBigFatMomma View Post
    You could try this program below, credited to Louie Simmons. It uses submaximal weights up until the last workout so there really isn't the issue of overtaxing yourself training once a week.

"The program started with the lifter having achieved a max single in the deadlift coming into the program. In the first week, the lifter was then to perform 15 singles with 65 percent of that single with short rest periods. For the next week, the percentage was raised five percent and the amount of lifts dropped to 12. This goes on until the fifth week when the lifter has reached 85 percent and performs six singles.

So 65%x15x1, 70%x12x1, 75%x10x1, 80%x8x1, 85%x6x1.

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.ca/2012...dead-even.html
    Have you tried this? So instead of pulling every other week, I would be pulling every week just sub-maximally? All I want is my deadlift to go up, it's my one lift I just can't seem to increase.

This is how my pulls have gone:
    week 1ff
    week2:495x1
    week3:495x1,510x1
    week4:465x1,500(miss)
    week5:405x3,425x1,465(miss)

Currently my squat is 475,bench 350.

portobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) portobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) portobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) portobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) portobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) portobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) portobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) portobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) portobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) portobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) portobro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think the main problem is deadlifting every week, but you basically tried to max or failed in a lift for 4 weeks straight. I don't think its the deadlifting, but maybe the amount being used. Maybe you need 2 weeks off total from deadlifting, then find a program where you aren't using such heavy percentages too often, while working on your weak points to help your pulls as well. Also have you been losing weight during this time? Maybe losing weight caused your deadlift to decrease.

brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) brodygeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you could do a cycle of 5/3/1 where you replace the deadlift portion every second week with an assistance exercise depending on your sticking point. either way, i think deloading and focusing on some assistance exercises may be the answer. look at something like this www[dot]elitefts[dot]com/documents/supplemental_exercises.htm

Originally Posted by portobro View Post
    I don't think the main problem is deadlifting every week, but you basically tried to max or failed in a lift for 4 weeks straight. I don't think its the deadlifting, but maybe the amount being used. Maybe you need 2 weeks off total from deadlifting, then find a program where you aren't using such heavy percentages too often, while working on your weak points to help your pulls as well. Also have you been losing weight during this time? Maybe losing weight caused your deadlift to decrease.
    My weight has been the same for awhile now. Two guys I train with are able to pull 500 every week, one is 185 the other 220, and I have always been able to out pull them until a few months ago.

I'll try a lower percentage program and stick to it and see if it doesnt anything. Any recommendations besides the few posted above?

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I started becoming proficient in the deadlift, I had to move training heavy back to only once a month. Anything more than that is just too stressful. Assuming your form isn't garbage, you may be in the same boat.

Originally Posted by HamburgerTrain View Post
    When I started becoming proficient in the deadlift, I had to move training heavy back to only once a month. Anything more than that is just too stressful. Assuming your form isn't garbage, you may be in the same boat.
    What did you deadlift days look like set wise?weight? Etc...

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is how my pulls have gone:
    week 1ff
    week2:495x1
    week3:495x1,510x1
    week4:465x1,500(miss)
    week5:405x3,425x1,465(miss)

Currently my squat is 475,bench 350.
    What is your dead training max set at?
    You say you're doing 5/3/1 but this doesn't look like those numbers at all.

Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
    What is your dead training max set at?
    You say you're doing 5/3/1 but this doesn't look like those numbers at all.
    I was following the 531 template but got weaker so I switched to pulling singles in hope to get stronger.

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I was following the 531 template but got weaker so I switched to pulling singles in hope to get stronger.
    I don't even think it's possible to get weaker if you were following it correctly.

Nothing wrong with pulling singles as long as you figure out a method to the madness instead of just trying to pull a new max every week.
    Find your weak points, work on sticking points, try band pulls to work on your speed, etc.
    There's lots you can do to improve your deadlift, other than just doing conventional deads week after week and attempting to break 500.

Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
    I don't even think it's possible to get weaker if you were following it correctly.

Nothing wrong with pulling singles as long as you figure out a method to the madness instead of just trying to pull a new max every week.
    Find your weak points, work on sticking points, try band pulls to work on your speed, etc.
    There's lots you can do to improve your deadlift, other than just doing conventional deads week after week and attempting to break 500.
    Trust me I got weaker. I use to be able to hit 500x3, now I can barely hit it for a single. But after reading a few things and watching some of my videos, I think it comes down to my form and where my hips are. But I'm going to try the 6 week of singles at submaximal weight and incorporate narrow box squats and see if that helps. I need to go back to the beginning which sucks. thanks for the help though

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What did you deadlift days look like set wise?weight? Etc...
    Work up to the heaviest thing I could pick up then go on with my day. I never do regular deadlifts in training. So, its usually a reverse band or against bands/chain. My last meet I smoked 815. I started training deadlifts once a month when my best competition pull was around 700.