Thread: Help on pullups

traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Help on pullups

can you guys recommend a routine that will help me do pull ups.. i can not do a single pull up and i really want to.. any suggestions ... ( Already trying negatives, and assisted pull ups )
    Veni Vidi Vici.

I will smack your hand. HighFivan's Avatar
    HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    already trying negatives and assisted pull ups.
    how long? stick with it. There is no cheat code to get pullups, it sounds like you already have a good idea what it takes to get them done.

traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) traind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by HighFivan View Post
    already trying negatives and assisted pull ups.
    how long? stick with it. There is no cheat code to get pullups, it sounds like you already have a good idea what it takes to get them done.
    i just started yesterday just wondering if there is anything else i could be doing... also how long do you think it will take to do a couple pull ups
    Veni Vidi Vici.

Liftn2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftn2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftn2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftn2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftn2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftn2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftn2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftn2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftn2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftn2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftn2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by traind View Post
    i just started yesterday just wondering if there is anything else i could be doing... also how long do you think it will take to do a couple pull ups
    check out www.twentypullups.com

T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you have access to a weight-assist pullup machine? That's where I would start.

Originally Posted by T1969 View Post
    Do you have access to a weight-assist pullup machine? That's where I would start.
    I have not seen one at my gym but i will make sure to check!

@ Liftn2011 thanks man looks like a great program!
    Veni Vidi Vici.

hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500)
    I have not seen one at my gym but i will make sure to check!

@ Liftn2011 thanks man looks like a great program!
    If you do find it, you gotta actually use it. A lot of people **** on it, but it works for getting your first chinup. Okay? Your first fuking chinup, that's all that matters.

Now go do 400 to 450 reps on the assistance machine with 140-150 pounds of assistance. Finish off the workout with some tough negatives. Do this again tomorrow. This will take a long-ass time. That's how hard you have to work.

You'll get your first fuking chinup the day after. I hope you like being able to do a chinup after 2 days of hard work. Do that, and then do negatives all fuking day. Do a negative for 1 or 2 seconds, do another one 5 minutes later. Get 110 total seconds worth of negatives. If this feels impossible after a while, just jump up to the bar like you're desperate. Or rest. Rest a while, don't be afraid of taking naps.

Now say bye-bye to 1 chinup and say hello to 2 chinups. Now you can fuk around daily doing 6-8 chinups and get stronger or you can just repeat with all-day negatives. It's up to you because you're not too fuking weak to do a chinup no more.
    "ham boy"

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Aim for 1 rep, then 2reps, then three reps etc.

Its as simple as that. I have never liked assistance machines unless it is for people that are overweight.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey man, these exercises are all for improving lat width and strength.
    I read these in a magazine a few weeks back and i saved it. I am currently doing this workout 1 a week and have allready seen some improvement.

Wide Grip Assisted Pull Ups 4 sets for 10,8,6,6, reps
    Bent Over Barbell Rows 4 sets for 15,8,8,10 reps
    Wide Grip Front Pulldowns 4 sets for 15,8-10,8-10,8-10reps
    Wide Grip Seated Cable Rows 3 sets for 10,10,10 reps

The first set is a warmup in the first 3 exercises.

Do this 1-2 times a week(atleast 3 days inbetween) for 6 weeks and you WILL be able to do atleast a few pullups.

Good Luck!
    --------------March 23th-----------------Goal--------Deadline
    Weight--------168lb---------------------172lb-------April 1st
    Biceps---------14.5in----------------------15in------July
    Chest 1RM----225lb---------------------250lb------April 17th
    Squat 1RM----285lb---------------------300lb------April 17th
    DeadLift 1RM-300lb---------------------325lb------April 17th

I will review almost any supplement. Just PM me.
    I rep back!!

Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by hamworld05 View Post
    Now go do 400 to 450 reps on the assistance machine with 140-150 pounds of assistance. Finish off the workout with some tough negatives. Do this again tomorrow. This will take a long-ass time. That's how hard you have to work.
    I completely disagree with this advice. Yes, the assisted pull-up machine is great. However, treat it like any other exercise. Don't do 400 reps a day and don't do it everyday. OP, if you did 6 sets of 8 to 12, and give your body time to rest and eat right you'll see big gains. Sometimes less is more when getting stronger.

Bararuloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was also in a similar situation 5 weeks ago. I could not do one pull up. I started with negatives. I would try to do each rep for 8 seconds. I first started with 2x4.. then 2x5.. and so on. I did it alternate days. After I was able to get 3x5, I started doing proper pull ups. I think it took 3 weeks or something like that to do my first proper pull up. Now I can do 3x5 pull ups.

This worked for me. I guess it could work well for others also

All the best!

AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wide Grip Front Pulldowns.

.... +1 to this.

Originally Posted by LiveRipped View Post
    Hey man, these exercises are all for improving lat width and strength.
    I read these in a magazine a few weeks back and i saved it. I am currently doing this workout 1 a week and have allready seen some improvement.

Wide Grip Assisted Pull Ups 4 sets for 10,8,6,6, reps
    Bent Over Barbell Rows 4 sets for 15,8,8,10 reps
    Wide Grip Front Pulldowns 4 sets for 15,8-10,8-10,8-10reps
    Wide Grip Seated Cable Rows 3 sets for 10,10,10 reps

The first set is a warmup in the first 3 exercises.

Do this 1-2 times a week(atleast 3 days inbetween) for 6 weeks and you WILL be able to do atleast a few pullups.

Good Luck!
    Thanks man, im gonna do this routine. def repped.

and i don't think im gonna go crazy with 400 reps day after day... i was told muscles need time to repair in order to get stronger
    Veni Vidi Vici.

LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10)

and i don't think im gonna go crazy with 400 reps day after day... i was told muscles need time to repair in order to get stronger
    ya, your welcome.
    400 reps a day isnt good for building muscle/strength.
    --------------March 23th-----------------Goal--------Deadline
    Weight--------168lb---------------------172lb-------April 1st
    Biceps---------14.5in----------------------15in------July
    Chest 1RM----225lb---------------------250lb------April 17th
    Squat 1RM----285lb---------------------300lb------April 17th
    DeadLift 1RM-300lb---------------------325lb------April 17th

I will review almost any supplement. Just PM me.
    I rep back!!

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    can you guys recommend a routine that will help me do pull ups.. i can not do a single pull up and i really want to.. any suggestions ... ( Already trying negatives, and assisted pull ups )
    What are you using for assistance? How slow are your negatives? Are you able to pause at any point?

Would it be right to assume you don't have access to a lat pulldown?

Originally Posted by hamworld05 View Post
    do 400 to 450 reps on the assistance machine with 140-150 pounds of assistance. Finish off the workout with some tough negatives. Do this again tomorrow. This will take a long-ass time. That's how hard you have to work. You'll get your first fuking chinup the day after.
    Coolest post I've ever read.

hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500)

And where does your body find the time to repair your muscles? During sleep! That's how much rest you need! It's not just about going crazy or doing 400 reps. It's about doing a specific amount of work to train your muscles to get stronger. Whether it's 200 or 400 reps, the only difference is time. Within a week, that amount of volume will get you stronger.

Tyciol, thank you. I am just suggesting(aggressively too lol) what worked for me. Just ask Pavel, he can attest to daily lifting making him stronger.

Your muscles are not gonna completely recover, of course not. If they did, you would doing chinups like they're nothing by now. But they will adapt and get stronger. That's all you can ask for.
    "ham boy"

Biggity068 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you haven't been told about them, there are giant rubber bands (Superbands, I believe they're called) at PerformBetter.com. I have a couple myself, and when I'm not around a weight-assist machine, or a helpful spotter, the bands make all the difference in getting reps when I can't do effective pullups anymore. Other than that, really it's one of those "you just gotta do them" exercises. Best of luck to you.

Also, I sent a hotlink for the Superbands to your messages.

BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey OP, I was in the same position as you a few years ago. Just don't give up on negatives and chinups (if you can do them). It took me a month, but I worked my *ss off and got to three pullups. Then, I bought a $30 pullup bar for my door from walmart and started doing pullups to failure whenever i would walk by. Within a month i was able to pump out 15 no problem. Best of luck and remember: perseverance pays off bro

jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This isn't really an exercise, more like a workout, but go find a pool and swim. Look up some swimming technique first though so you know how to swim correctly. Then, start with a few hundred yards and build up from their. ALWAYS USE PROPER TECHNIQUE. I can't stress that enough. I am an extremely good swimmer (not olymic quality or anything) but after swimming for just a year and a half, I worked my way up to 17 at a time (around 8th grade). If you do (proper technique), it works your lats really well. If you do everything right, you should get your first chin up after no more than a month.