Nick87123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

6 months of working out..lifts and weight have gone up but I feel like I look the sam

I have been working out for the past six months and continue to make strength progress on my current routine and my weight has gone up from 130-145 (I'm 5-7 and an ectomorph) but I don't feel like i'm making the kind of gains ( appearance/size wise) that I could/want to be. My friend who I lift with weekly keeps asking me what i'm doing to make these gains...and i just think "what gains?" It's very frustrating for me. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic?

Here is my routine.

Monday- Chest/tris

Db flat- 3 sets
    Db incline- 3 sets.
    chest dips- 3 sets
    skulcrushes- 3 sets
    pushdowns- 3 sets.

Tuesday- Back/bis

Pullups- 3 sets.
    bentover barbell row- 3 sets
    chin ups or machine chin downs- 3 sets
    barbell curls- 3 sets
    hammer curls- 3 sets

wed- off

Thursday- shoulders
    Shoulder press- 4 sets
    side raises- 3 sets
    rear delt flies- 3 sets
    shrugs- 3 sets.

Friday- legs
    Squat- 3 sets
    romanian deadlifts- 3 sets
    lunges- 3 sets
    calf raises- 3 sets.

saturday- off.

sunday- repeat.

Is this a good frequency/volume or should I have a routine where I hit the same body part more frequent?

also, I eat between 2500 and 3000 calories a day and feel like my diet is pretty much in check. I have a feeling my routine is what I am looking to change.

PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First off, you've gained 15lbs in half a year, that's pretty darn good progress. You wouldn't sign up for 30lbs in a year? Secondly, how much have your lifts gone up? Are they continuing to go up?

As for your routine, in my opinion it's not optimal for a natural trainee (especially a beginner) to train each muscle group less than twice per week. Therefore I'd recommend you switching to more of a full body routine or at the very least an upper/lower, push/pull type of split so that you hare hitting the muscle with more frequency. As a beginner, you want to take advantage of the fact that you CAN do this because you are lifting light enough weights where it won't burn out your CNS. More opportunities frequent workouts per muscle group means more opportunities to get stronger which in turn will bring you faster results.
    Online Training Services available. PM me for details.

Nick87123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post
    First off, you've gained 15lbs in half a year, that's pretty darn good progress. You wouldn't sign up for 30lbs in a year? Secondly, how much have your lifts gone up? Are they continuing to go up?

As for your routine, in my opinion it's not optimal for a natural trainee (especially a beginner) to train each muscle group less than twice per week. Therefore I'd recommend you switching to more of a full body routine or at the very least an upper/lower, push/pull type of split so that you hare hitting the muscle with more frequency. As a beginner, you want to take advantage of the fact that you CAN do this because you are lifting light enough weights where it won't burn out your CNS. More opportunities frequent workouts per muscle group means more opportunities to get stronger which in turn will bring you faster results.
    Can you give me an example of a push/pull with more frequency? I set mine up so I hit each body part less than 7 days apart but I'm assuming you mean everything hit twice with in 7 days of the first workout?

PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Nick87123 View Post
    Can you give me an example of a push/pull with more frequency? I set mine up so I hit each body part less than 7 days apart but I'm assuming you mean everything hit twice with in 7 days of the first workout?
    Something like Iron Addict's Simple Power Based Routine is something that I know has worked well for a lot of people. You can have a look at it here http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8050.
    Online Training Services available. PM me for details.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^^^^

Nice link.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Nick87123 View Post
    I have been working out for the past six months and continue to make strength progress on my current routine and my weight has gone up from 130-145 (I'm 5-7 and an ectomorph) but I don't feel like i'm making the kind of gains ( appearance/size wise) that I could/want to be. My friend who I lift with weekly keeps asking me what i'm doing to make these gains...and i just think "what gains?" It's very frustrating for me. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic?
    It only marginally matters what you 'feel'. Look at the actual results. Did you take pictures when you first started? Compare those to pictures you can take now. Do you look the same or different?
    Did you take measurements of your arms? Waist? Legs? Did you write down your body fat? What are the new measurements of your arms, waist, legs? What is your new body fat %?

Don't go on feelings. Go on the numbers and pictures. They will show you if you made any progress or not.

vick0148 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vick0148 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it might be ur diet u should eat healthier, i can always workout and will always just look solid until i start eating healthy i start looking really trim.

http://totalfitnesstrainer.com/
    http://totalfitnesstrainer.com/

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
    Willing is not enough; we must do."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You don't look the same...you put on 15lbs in 6 months.
    OG

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As others have said 15 lbs of muscle in 6 months is a lot and clearly everyone else is noticing it. Sometimes we are too self critical to notice our own progress and need others to do it for us.

Also as others have said your routine is highly inappropriate for a natty and you could be making better progress in the coming months on a more suitable routine, read through the stickies.

dvck will become famous soon enough. (+50) dvck will become famous soon enough. (+50) dvck will become famous soon enough. (+50) dvck will become famous soon enough. (+50) dvck will become famous soon enough. (+50) dvck will become famous soon enough. (+50) dvck will become famous soon enough. (+50) dvck will become famous soon enough. (+50) dvck will become famous soon enough. (+50) dvck will become famous soon enough. (+50) dvck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A lot of it has to do with the body dis-morphia that people seem to develop on these forums. There's tons of images of people who've trained for years, naturally and unnaturally. When you compare yourself to them of course you're going to feel like you look the same.