dom89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dom89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

arm pump but no growth

since ive started lifting my arms have grown really well but now they seemed to have REALLY slowed down, i new they would but its doing my head in. the problem is when i work out arms i get a great pump and after my arms are completely nakerd and alot bigger than usual, i get this with all muscles obviously but with my arms they never seem to be able to keep any of the size, its mainly in my tricep on the long head, the short one isn't as bad but because the long one is lagging it makes my arms look alot smaller when just relaxed. ive been taking glutamine because it stops excess muscle break down and i think thats worked really well but not with my arms, i seemed to make a big difference on my back i think tho. can any one suggest any thing that might help.
    my current arm workout is:
    BB curls
    alternate DB curls
    preacher curls
    dips
    single arm tricep ext
    press downs
    rope pull downs

moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    that discourages me because I tend to rely on my pump for a good indicator of growth however;

a) lose the arm day, just do more compound ****
    b) throw your arm exercises AFTER the compound ****, and don't do too much, like only a few sets, or
    c) EAT MORE.

shock the muscles
    Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible - Frank Gaines

dom89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dom89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeh the thing is ive thought about changing my routine but this one has always wrked fine and really works my arms well and gets a good pump but the actual long term growth has just really slowed down, i say really lowd down insted of stopped because im clearly no way near my limit and they just wudn't stop growing.

moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) moosaman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    how long have you had this routine going for?

a few months

HELLO. YES, THIS IS DOG. ironstrife's Avatar
    ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    u can try OVT- http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459276
    i like to bring alterations to my routines every month whether it's the different types of excercises or sets and reps....

Coheed and Cambria Conanthebarbell's Avatar
    Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your doing WAY TO MUCH! lessen it. i am a huge advocate of mike metzer, and my routine consist of no more than 2-3 sets for biceps and 2-3 sets for tris, but usually i will jsut do one set (thats total, not per exersise. i only do one exersise) . if you give your all, you got the job done. remember, your arms are small muscles and can be overtrained easily. please dont follow what you read in FLEX unless you are on steroids, you will not grow to your potential. avoid drop sets, and dont do too many forced reps. jsut my 2 cents
    May 6, 2006. Ronnie Coleman Classic. I will be ready, will you?

Reactive Training Systems xahliftinracerx's Avatar
    xahliftinracerx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xahliftinracerx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xahliftinracerx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xahliftinracerx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xahliftinracerx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xahliftinracerx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xahliftinracerx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xahliftinracerx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xahliftinracerx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xahliftinracerx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xahliftinracerx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have found that Reverse Grip Rows have helped the most in my arm growth. My arms aren't big by any means, but they have grown more from the rows than from my arm day workout.

EDIT: Do triceps first, because IMO, triceps is what make your arms look bigger and fill out the shirt sleeves more. Do 12-10-8 with skull crusher/cg bench combination. Just do 12 reps skull crusher, move your hands in closer, and do 12 reps cg bench. Then 10 then 8 reps. Then do 3 sets of 12-10-8 for pushdowns. After that I usually do overhead extensions w/ a tricep bar 3 sets of 12-10-8. Then kickbacks, 15-12-10.

After that, do biceps. I do medium grip curls, 12-10-8. Then dumbell curls 10-8-6. Then tricep bar curls (hammer style) 12-10-8.

Make sure you squeeze like hell when you are doing bi's and tri's. That helps me the most is slow, controlled, and squeeze at the top and continue to squeeze to the bottom.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by xahliftinracerx; 09-30-2005 at 03:57 PM.
    Sponsored by Reactive Training Systems
    www.reactivetrainingsystems.com

What is your dream? What have you done today to get closer to reaching that dream?

Have fun with whatever you are doing. Otherwise, what is the point of doing it?

HELLO. YES, THIS IS DOG. ironstrife's Avatar
    ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Conanthebarbell
    your doing WAY TO MUCH! lessen it. i am a huge advocate of mike metzer, and my routine consist of no more than 2-3 sets for biceps and 2-3 sets for tris, but usually i will jsut do one set (thats total, not per exersise. i only do one exersise) . if you give your all, you got the job done. remember, your arms are small muscles and can be overtrained easily. please dont follow what you read in FLEX unless you are on steroids, you will not grow to your potential. avoid drop sets, and dont do too many forced reps. jsut my 2 cents
    what works for mike metzer might not work for you... what works perfectly for me might not work for him... 2sets are plenty for some.. i've seen some monstrous guys doing 8-10set pyramid sets and supersets... it's hard to find the boundaries of over training just from a bystander's view; u can't simply say he's overtraining...
    ur muscle has adjusted to ur routine.. go try different workouts and time to get creative...

Thumbs up

thnx for the help, i think first ill just try doing my tricep routine before biceps because they seem to be growing ok but i want my tris to grow more. also to the person who said just do like 3 sets, thats no way near enough for me. after ive done my first exercise, which is three sets, my bis are pumped but there no way worked enough. but like the other guy said what might work for you wont neciserilly work for someone else. oh btw i never use workouts i see in the magazines lol im not that thick. the gym manager at my gym did this work out for me a while ago. i dont really see her much now though because of different training times and things.
    thnx for the help.

irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    close grip bench press is amazing for triceps...

**Under Construction** E_Scapegoat's Avatar
    E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by moosaman
    that discourages me because I tend to rely on my pump for a good indicator of growth however;

a) lose the arm day, just do more compound ****
    b) throw your arm exercises AFTER the compound ****, and don't do too much, like only a few sets, or
    c) EAT MORE.

shock the muscles
    this worked for me. and pump still gives growth. i grew 2/3" in 3 weeks after i dropped arm day and constantly changed it up. if you get a pump where you grow, you can get bigger. you need nutrition though, like i like taking antioxidants, multivitamin, whey, and dextrose after workout, works great!
    NPTI Certified PT

Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Conanthebarbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by skyline1731
    what works for mike metzer might not work for you... what works perfectly for me might not work for him... 2sets are plenty for some.. i've seen some monstrous guys doing 8-10set pyramid sets and supersets... it's hard to find the boundaries of over training just from a bystander's view; u can't simply say he's overtraining...
    ur muscle has adjusted to ur routine.. go try different workouts and time to get creative...

i agree with you. i followed many routines, high volume ect. My training partner used moderate to high volume for months with no gains. Finaly i read some of metzners stuff and tried it. the resutls were amazing, not only for me, but for my partner. I train people who have quit making gains on high volume routines, and get them on the low volume kick, and every one has made substantial strength and size gains, bar none. it may not work for every body, but the people who are doing high volume and not seeing progress, give this a try for a few months.

SollyOlly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SollyOlly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SollyOlly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SollyOlly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SollyOlly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SollyOlly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SollyOlly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SollyOlly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SollyOlly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SollyOlly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SollyOlly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stop with the " YOU NEED TO DO THIS EXERCISE" ****.

Odds are , if you're not gaining with the bread and butter of bicep/tricep exercises, it won't change THAT MUCH if you use "max-ovaoiuqiot".

Eat more.

Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000)
    The 'pump' isn't an indication of growth.
    Hai guise.

Originally Posted by Trappy
    The 'pump' isn't an indication of growth.
    not saying it is, but it definitely means you've got the blood flowing.

i'd say you know you're gonna grow/get stronger if you can feel the tear in the muscle the next day.

off subject, Trampy, i love that movie.

What does mister wallace look like?
    Does he look like a bitch?
    Then why are you ****ing him like a bitch. Mister wallace does not like to be ****ed by noone other than misses wallace.

Squat till you puke Addicted 2 Oats's Avatar
    Addicted 2 Oats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Addicted 2 Oats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Addicted 2 Oats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Addicted 2 Oats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Addicted 2 Oats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Addicted 2 Oats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Addicted 2 Oats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Addicted 2 Oats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Addicted 2 Oats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Addicted 2 Oats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Addicted 2 Oats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Diet?!

post your diet, im willing to bet thats the problem.... also, how many grams of protien are you eating, and what do you weigh?

JayeTheOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayeTheOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayeTheOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayeTheOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayeTheOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayeTheOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayeTheOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayeTheOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayeTheOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayeTheOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JayeTheOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

i'd say you know you're gonna grow/get stronger if you can feel the tear in the muscle the next day.
    Yea, I feel kinda depressed when I'm not sore the next day.

Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by dom89
    since ive started lifting my arms have grown really well but now they seemed to have REALLY slowed down, i new they would but its doing my head in. the problem is when i work out arms i get a great pump and after my arms are completely nakerd and alot bigger than usual, i get this with all muscles obviously but with my arms they never seem to be able to keep any of the size, its mainly in my tricep on the long head, the short one isn't as bad but because the long one is lagging it makes my arms look alot smaller when just relaxed. ive been taking glutamine because it stops excess muscle break down and i think thats worked really well but not with my arms, i seemed to make a big difference on my back i think tho. can any one suggest any thing that might help.
    my current arm workout is:
    BB curls
    alternate DB curls
    preacher curls
    dips
    single arm tricep ext
    press downs
    rope pull downs
    Barbell Curls
    Incline Dumbbell Curls
    Chin ups

Close-Grip Press
    French Press
    Dips

Not really having anything to deal with your workout as much as diet. Improve your diet and eat more and your arms will start to grow more.
    “Methods are many,
    Principles are few,
    Methods often change,
    Principles never do.”

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodybuilding.html

I heard this place, I r o n M ass was a pretty good place , they got (no G&N) pervs.

Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000) Trappy is just really nice. (+1000)

Now, I'm not hating or flaming whatever, we can have a good sicussion on this, I'm open to hear your opinions. The only way I tend to feel a pump, is if I go with higher reps, which I have done in the past, and found little to no growth from. When I focus on the 5-8 range I don't get pumps from it particularly.

Also grow/get stronger are two completely different things, if you're getting the 'pump' like I said you're probably going reltively high in rep range, so strength isn't going to be a big factor. Do you class feeling the tear in the muscles as soreness? Or something different? If it's a soreness I'm willing to bet it's from the lactic acid energy system in which you went.
    Hai guise.

Originally Posted by Squats
    Barbell Curls
    Incline Dumbbell Curls
    Chin ups

Close-Grip Press
    French Press
    Dips

Not really having anything to deal with your workout as much as diet. Improve your diet and eat more and your arms will start to grow more.

If you're going to do an arm workout, you can't beat this one. All the essentials. Also bump on upping the calories. You aren't going to get bigger if you'e at maintenance levels.
    Hai guise.