Thread: Slow gains

Plethorix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Slow gains

I just started bodybuilding about a year ago. At first, I went on and off, trying new things and fading in and out of routines.

Now I've been doing the wotw #1 for skinny beginners and it's been working pretty well. This is the first time I've taken any athletic activity seriously, and I'm somewhat satisfied with the gains.

When I first started out, for example, I couldn't bemch the bar. Now I can bench around 70 for about 5 reps. considering where I started and where I am now, that's close to double my previous strength.

However all my weights are still really, really low. My dad who is a bodybuilder training for competitions said that as a beginner I should be putting on muscle very fast. I've been working hard every workout - sometimes over 3 hours a day, long rest periods, eating lots of protein and sleeping well.

While my upper body strength has nearly doubled, I'm still super scrawny. My triceps are visible now but very tiny. I can almost do dips unassisted and still can't do pullups without assistance. In short, I'm much stronger but still very weak. Is this normal?

I want to get to the point where I can do all the bodyweight excerizes (pull ups, chins, push ups, etc) with considerable ease, and I get the feeling that after 6 months, I should already be there. Any insight on this?

ChrisLB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisLB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisLB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisLB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisLB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisLB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisLB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisLB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisLB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisLB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisLB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd recommend changing your routine.

Eat more and get a better routine

Mitchy321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchy321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchy321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchy321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchy321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchy321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchy321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchy321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchy321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchy321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mitchy321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you talk about your diet you say that you 'eating lots of protein'

This is probably where the problem lies. If your following a good solid routine then the only reason you're not making as much progress as you could is probably your diet.

Count your calories. See how many you eat in a day.
    Then work out how many calories you need to consume each day (theres calculators everywhere for this) and eat at least 500 over what your maintinence is.
    What i find strange is that if your dad is a competitive bodybuilder, he should have told you most of this?

Also, going to 70 from benching the bar only is still good progress, so dont be to disheartened.

pottsy09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottsy09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottsy09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    two things jump out at me,

1. 3 hour workouts? they are unnecessary and could be your problem. overtraining is not good and is detriemental to progress.

2. a lot of protein? this could not be enough even if its a lot to you also do you have any caarbs? heal;thy fats etc?

Plethorix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    @responders:

My maintainance is about 2400 kcals a day, and I usually eat 3000-3500. So that's not the problem I've put on about 25 lbs since I started - some muscle, some fat. Protein is anywhere from 0.5g-1g+ per lb, it varies. I'm not obsessive about my diet but I make sure to eat plenty

I'm using the winner for this wotw program:

bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw1.htm

It's been about an hour a day up until now, where the workouts are pretty damn long. I seem to experience minor gains the first 1-2 weeks of every swap, and then 2-3 weeks of plateu. Gains are okay, but I know they can be faster.

XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    try cutting your gym sessions down to an hour, and eat more and eat better (as far as macros/timing, and more protein if your not eating enough already)
    Staple Supplements:

Allmax Nutrition Isoflex
    Universal Animal Pak
    Universal Animal Rage
    iForce Hemavol
    Thermolife C-bol
    Orange Oximega Fish oil
    Every time you don't give 100%...
    You make it that much easier for me to beat you... -Anonymous