Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by spyxter View Post
    Any examples of beginners OL routine?
    Here is Pendlay's beginner program: http://www.pendlay.com/A-Training-Sy...ers_df_47.html

Here is the Q&A: http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=2521
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ProfDrBeareagle View Post
    Last I checked, OL was a strength sport, not a technique sport. The person who lifts the most weight wins, not the person who has the nicest technique.

While it's true that you need good technique to lift efficiently, there are in my opinion way too many amateur weightlifters who spend way too much time obsessing about technique and not enough time getting stronger.
    Thus proving that you are not a weightlifter... Obviously we are all trying to get stronger. It is also obvious that the strategy of concentrating on strength and not technique is a losing position. Think about this, there are literally thousands and thousands of men all over the USA who can pull 200kg high enough to get under it, but how many can clean it? Strength alone does not win in Olympic lifting. In fact, it doesnt medal, get you in the top 10, or even qualify you for the meet most of the time. You have to know how to display your strength.
    Pendlay.com

slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000) slowman41 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
    Thus proving that you are not a weightlifter... Obviously we are all trying to get stronger. It is also obvious that the strategy of concentrating on strength and not technique is a losing position. Think about this, there are literally thousands and thousands of men all over the USA who can pull 200kg high enough to get under it, but how many can clean it? Strength alone does not win in Olympic lifting. In fact, it doesnt medal, get you in the top 10, or even qualify you for the meet most of the time. You have to know how to display your strength.
    I think his piece about "amateurs too worried about technique" is a valid point though. Too many Americans work more on technique and low percentages instead of putting weight on the bar. Glenn's program at Cal Strength is a good example of guys going heavy often, and its obviously paying off.

The thing with percentage based programs (and a lot of great lifters/coaches say this) is that some days you are supposed to go heavy yet you feel awful. Other days you're supposed to stay light yet the weight is going up easy. Why not add more weight to the bar on that light day? Maybe its even a PR day?

I like to go as heavy as I can until technique breaks down or I miss lifts. Either I go to 1RM's or close and its a good day, or technique falls off early, in which case I take the weight down and work on technique. Listen to what your body is telling you, and go with it.
    Misc Strength Crew
    Russian Program Weightlifting log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=707588271

glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000) glennpendlay is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by slowman41 View Post
    I think his piece about "amateurs too worried about technique" is a valid point though. Too many Americans work more on technique and low percentages instead of putting weight on the bar.
    I hear this again and again, yet I don't know any lifters who don't try as hard as possible to get stronger. And I know a lot of weightlifters.
    Pendlay.com

champion w8lifter in prog boykid28's Avatar
    boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
    You have to know how to display your strength.
    this leads me to my 2 cents in the thread: strength is a skill. and skill is the ability to bring about some end result with maximum certainty and minimum outlay of energy or of time and energy. A begginer could conceivably execute a flawless snatch, yet not be able to perform it consistently, or with as little effort relative to an expert.

science
    -we are what we repeatedly do. therefore, excellence is not an act but a habit.
    -sollevatore di pesi campione in corso
    -"that guy is running in shorts"Dr.House
    "he's not running, he's trolling"Dr.Wilson

gym PR's:

snatch:90kg
    clean & jerk:117.5kg
    total:202.3kg

oly squat:179.5kg

journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130985093

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ProfDrBeareagle View Post
    Olympic lifts are great for displaying strength and power, they are crap for building strength.
    Kind of like multiply gear....
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    Kind of like multiply gear....
    Very clever response.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think the good doctor professor got owned.

OP: Start Oly now. Good luck!
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    I think the good doctor professor got owned.

OP: Start Oly now. Good luck!
    Yup who is that guy anyway?
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Yup who is that guy anyway?
    I believe he was Mezzie's arch nemesis.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    I believe he was Mezzie's arch nemesis.
    O'rly? he should come around more often, the oly forum needs more excitement. And I love to play.

Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Still on SS. Tried power snatching (under a coach) yesterday, right shoulder was killing me today.

What shoulder exercises would you recommend to strengthen them? Rotator cuff rehab? Shoulder broomstick stretch? What else?
    *** MISC Strength Crew ***

"If you can front squat it for three, you can clean it."

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Still on SS. Tried power snatching (under a coach) yesterday, right shoulder was killing me today.

What shoulder exercises would you recommend to strengthen them? Rotator cuff rehab? Shoulder broomstick stretch? What else?
    Actually, the best thing is to stay light while learning the technique. Sore shoulders after snatching usually means you were learning the movement and doing them wrong.

Most lifters I know (myself included) have sore shoulders when first trying to snatch - this usually comes from doing explosive front raises instead of pulling correctly (launching the bar up with the hips).

Just be patient with technique while continuing to push your strength with the SS lifts.

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Agree with JLC. Your problem is most likely poor flexibility and/or poor execution of the lift. Direct shoulder work is pretty rare in weightlifting.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spyxter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Had a 'snatch day' yesterday. Shoulders are okay. Managed to power snatch 45 kilos. Felt good.

Another question: what do you weightlifters do for cardio and to keep the fat levels low? 5k runs, interval runs, sprints or something else altogether? Since I started SS I noticed some fat gain and low endurance and stamina.

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Had a 'snatch day' yesterday. Shoulders are okay. Managed to power snatch 45 kilos. Felt good.

Another question: what do you weightlifters do for cardio and to keep the fat levels low? 5k runs, interval runs, sprints or something else altogether? Since I started SS I noticed some fat gain and low endurance and stamina.
    Control their diet or do complexes. What is this "running" you speak of??

Seriously, just control your diet. If you start seeing yourself put on weight, up the amount of work you do.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

Originally Posted by olyw8lifter View Post
    Control their diet or do complexes. What is this "running" you speak of??

Seriously, just control your diet. If you start seeing yourself put on weight, up the amount of work you do.
    so not a single **** is given about endurance?

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Generally, NO. I know some coaches will do stuff like on the minute snatches

It depends on what kind of endurance you are talking about. Most high level weightlifters have a lot of stamina when it comes to weightlifting. Being able to do a lot of sets in a short period of time, even with heavy weights. There is Joe Mills 20/20 and Pendlay's 20 reps in 20min that will both work endurance of a certain level.

Just to be clear, SS is not a weightlifting program and it is designed for gaining weight.

jesus thinks youre a jerk ehlpitel's Avatar
    ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    raffiki, care to elaborate on the Joe Mills 20/20 and Pendlay's 20 reps in 20 minutes?
    How many gymrats does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Seven. One to screw in the bulb and six to say, "Bro, you're huge, man! Ripped!"

Originally Posted by ehlpitel View Post
    raffiki, care to elaborate on the Joe Mills 20/20 and Pendlay's 20 reps in 20 minutes?
    Not Raffiki, but I've done both programs.

Joe Mills 20/20 is:

Warm-up
    70% for 5 singles on the minute, rest 2-3 min
    +5kg for 5 more singles on the minute, rest
    +2-3 kg for 5 more singles, rest
    5 singles increasing weight each lift until you hit about 90%

Rest about 10-20 min

Repeat for Clean & jerk (except you can take about 1:15 to 1:30 between lifts

Pendlays version is warm up to a weight and hit 20 singles on the minute with same weight across, rest about 10-20 min, repeat for CJ (except lift on the 1:30).

With either one, you can then rest again for about 10-20 min and squat, but you probably won't want to.

Once you hit all 20 reps in a lift WITHOUT missing, you increase the weights.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    No reason to delay learning technique while you are still developing strength.

Start practicing!
    This. I know you aren't in this boat but most competitive countries start thier athletes out young so I can't see how arbitrary strength numbers should effect your training really. The first time I decided to leanr and perform the full olifts as part of my regular routine I was 15/16 years old and could squat 350+ above parallel, bench 245x2 and deadlift about 365 at 5'9" 155 lbs. At my best I did a full clean with 235 and snatch with 175, I could onyl jerk around 185 at the time though (my pressing has always sucked) I'm sure if I had started on the olifts sooner and placed a higher priority on them in my training I would have been handling heavier weights with better form.

I'm not saying load up a bar and go to town but I don't think there are really any numbers you "should" be hitting before learning and performing the olympic lifts if you are interested in them, the sooner the better.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Its not like you see a ton of marathon runners hitting new squat 1rm's on a regular basis right? Doing some cardio probably won't ruin you but there is always something else to do. Sprinting and jumping would be more applicable then long distance running (anything over 200m is long distance to me :P)