orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench improvement.

Well tentative about posting because of the sarcasm to help ratio. i am fluent in sarcasm and appreciate it but looking for some solid tips.

I continue to progress in dead, row, overhead press and squats. I am not progressing on bench. I do a 5x5 workout 3 times per week and some iso stuff on the 4 day, cardio on the day 5. Not always in that order.

I have hit a ceiling and cant get past it on bench. I have been lifting for 18 months now and have not hit my bench goal.

My nutrition is good, my growth on all the above ref lifts are improving just the bench is weak.

Any tips would be appreciated.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    is the goal strength or size?

lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    its probably your form. I videotape myself and see what im doing wrong. I am too doing 5x5 and my form was bad and i corrected it and my bench has been skyrocketing.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you hitting bench 3 times per week on your 5x5?

orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orvieto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well size matters.. I figure if my strength improves the rest will follow. Is there a different approach?

video tape hmm will try that. I worked very hard on form for squat dead and row so that would make sense.

2days

Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    Are you hitting bench 3 times per week on your 5x5?
    yeah 2 day flat bench and 1 incline bench day

lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lestat1510 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i do pull ups and chin ups too and i believe some exercises build up the acessory muscles so you can bench more. Just my 2cents worth.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Describe in a little more detail what you mean by hitting a ceiling. Are you speaking about your one-rep max, or not hitting the full five reps for all five sets, or something else? There are different strategies you can employ depending upon what the "ceiling" is.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I see you're nearly hiting 90 kg in the bench. In my opinion thats heavy enough to be allowing longer recovery than what you get with bench 3 times per week. Especially at 40+.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    plenty of things you might try, but not enough info is provided.

if you are using the same weight for the 5x5, you might simply reduce it to 4 x 5. just that one less set might do the trick. or eliminate one of your bench days altogether. or switch one of them to a light weight day.

my first thought is that recovery is an issue, and your choice is either to permit a bit more recovery time, or else reduce the workout stress a bit so that more recovery is not needed.

as the other lifts are progressing, i'd guess nutrition is ok for the time being, else you wouldn't be seeing that progress.

Over the last 18-24 months I have moved my 1rep max from 135 to 195. I have been at 195 for the last 3 months. I really want to break the 200 hurdle and move on.

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are doing way to much and you are not giving your body time to rest and get stronger. I suggest keeping your bench days to two a week. No more. Form is critical, any video would help.

Here is what I do, and my goals is strength 1st, and I figure size will happen.

Right now I do a 5x5 routine . On the 1st 5x5 of the week (Tuesday) , I will do 5x5 at the same weight, 2-3 minutes rest between sets. Then I will do some DB work (4x8), followed by some tris (two exercises, 4x8) and shoulders (One exercise 4x8)

On Friday I will do 5x5 but ramp the weight up in 30 pounds increments finishing with a 5 rep max. It looks something like:
    270x5
    300x5
    330x5
    360x5
    390x5

I then do some dips, shoulder work (two exercise) and tris (One exercise)

If I can complete a full cycle (that is, make every rep) I go up in weight, typically 5# increments. If I cannot do the full cycle for two weeks, I go down in weight for both days and start ramping back up.

Good luck.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I agree with the above about your rest days. You need more.

Also take a look at this dave Tate video.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...nch_press_cure

At around the 4 minute mark he talks about a quick fix for your set up. i tried this and the first time out set a new pr by about 20 lbs.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

Originally Posted by crupiea View Post

At around the 4 minute mark he talks about a quick fix for your set up. i tried this and the first time out set a new pr by about 20 lbs.
    Thanks

Originally Posted by Smelly bull View Post
    You are doing way to much and you are not giving your body time to rest and get stronger. I suggest keeping your bench days to two a week. No more. Form is critical, any video would help.

Right now I do a 5x5 routine . On the 1st 5x5 of the week (Tuesday) , I will do 5x5 at the same weight, 2-3 minutes rest between sets. Then I will do some DB work (4x8), followed by some tris (two exercises, 4x8) and shoulders (One exercise 4x8)

On Friday I will do 5x5 but ramp the weight up in 30 pounds increments finishing with a 5 rep max. It looks something like:
    270x5
    300x5
    330x5
    360x5
    390x5

If I can complete a full cycle (that is, make every rep) I go up in weight, typically 5# increments. If I cannot do the full cycle for two weeks, I go down in weight for both days and start ramping back up.

Good luck.
    I will make some adjustments thanks for the response

alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm having a similar issue with bench press and 5x5, let me know how you go.

Thanks for the Tate vid/ article, that was great, definately have a few things to try next benching day.

Great post with a question I think many ask themselves.
    Taking the "less is more" approach to cardio...

backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Think you need a bit more rest between bench days.If you want to bump your one rm a great way to go is some heavy negative work.Get on a rack with a spotter you trust and bring down 205 as slowly as possible acouple of times,take a long rest(4 min or so) and go again.The power lifting fourm will be full of ideas.
    If you think you can or think you cant, your right.

David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Several good comments.. SmellyBulls' response addresses several areas for you.

My added opinions - too many occurrences during the week. Pushing twice a week is tough if you are hitting it hard. 3x is too much.

Assessment of technique - Video for us or anybody you trust is needed. I do suggest more of a power lift type bench for you to increase poundages (belly up, a little lower contact on the chest, elbows tucked more). You don't need to forever bench this way, but it will teach and help you handle more weight.

Choice of exercises - For a while focus on "big moves", i.e. flat bench, incline, DBs, etc. Save flies, cable cross overs, and pec dec type exercises for later down the road. Focus all your energy on the moves that handle the bigger weights, and then GO HOME.

It is very easy to overtrain with near max poundages. Don't be concerned with getting the "pump" as much as increasing poundage during a strength cycle.

Originally Posted by alkell View Post
    I'm having a similar issue with bench press and 5x5, let me know how you go.

Thanks for the Tate vid/ article, that was great, definately have a few things to try next benching day.

Great post with a question I think many ask themselves.
    I like the 5x5> When it comes to progression I find it helps incremental improvement. HOWEVER. I have recently taken breaks from 5x5 and mix in some high rep work. I have also found that the 5x5 I am never sore ...which concerns me. when I change up for a week I am sore.....for example took a break this week from 5x5 and did some wide grip pulls ups. Damn I am sore...and liking it btw.

It may be my age but the 5x5 progresses fast for me and I tend to sacrifice form. I lowered the set interval from 12.5% to 3% to lift more toneage.

IDK seems the more I learn the worse off I am...stick to compound lifts until I figure it out.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You got some good tips, but how is the most important thing, your diet? How much protein and fat do you get per day? And total cals?

*STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by orvieto View Post
    My nutrition is good
    I agree with the above posters BUT whenever i see a person post this ^ Im 100% sure that its not anywhere near "good".

alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I like the 5x5> When it comes to progression I find it helps incremental improvement. HOWEVER. I have recently taken breaks from 5x5 and mix in some high rep work. I have also found that the 5x5 I am never sore ...which concerns me. when I change up for a week I am sore.....for example took a break this week from 5x5 and did some wide grip pulls ups. Damn I am sore...and liking it btw.

It may be my age but the 5x5 progresses fast for me and I tend to sacrifice form. I lowered the set interval from 12.5% to 3% to lift more toneage.

IDK seems the more I learn the worse off I am...stick to compound lifts until I figure it out.
    IME any change in program will result in DOMS and is not necessarily a sign of progress, just a sign of a change to what your body is used to. Progression = more strength and bigger muscle NOT DOMS= more strength and bigger muscles.

I use the spreadsheets as a guide only and fill in my own number (took me a while to realise that's what the intention is, I've been doing 5x5 for nearly a year).

You are 100% right, stick to the compounds! Find a solid periodisation/ progression plan too though, can go too far wrong with what you learn from 5x5
    Taking the "less is more" approach to cardio...

Freedom's Last Hope™ EctoCanuck's Avatar
    EctoCanuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EctoCanuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EctoCanuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EctoCanuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EctoCanuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EctoCanuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EctoCanuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EctoCanuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EctoCanuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EctoCanuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EctoCanuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    .....tentative about posting because of the sarcasm to help ratio. i am fluent in sarcasm and appreciate it but looking for some solid tips.
    Don't hear much sarcasm from these people.....so relax.

My two cents.....your working your chest to hard to recover from the last w/o.

I made my best progress in my 30's by working my chest 3 times in 2 weeks.Here's what I did.....

3 sets BenchPress......last set to failure.
    2 sets Incline DB Press......last set to failure.
    2 sets PecDec......higher reps.

May look simple(and outdated)but it worked.My chest grew bigger than any other body part.To be honest I've never been concerned with how much I could lift-only results.

Blakkfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakkfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakkfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakkfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakkfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakkfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakkfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakkfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakkfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakkfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakkfox will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by crupiea View Post

thanks for the link...Im only about 4 months into lifting and when it comes to bench my max is 300x2 but always thought it should be more...but I just lay down lose and bench...I work out at home so (never been in a gym longer than 5 minutes) never seen anything other than what I have been doing...cant wait to try it the proper way!!
    9-1-2010 302lbs
    10-1-2010 285lbs
    11-1-2010 268lbs
    12-1-2010 261lbs

graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000) graybeard is just really nice. (+1000)
    Strong triceps will also help with your bench. I believe Tate advocates doing some pull downs in the evenings using tubing 4-5x per week, 100 reps per session. After 3 weeks of doing this, you should see your BPs increase.

Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Smelly bull View Post

270x5
    300x5
    330x5
    360x5
    390x5

Good luck.
    I think he's pretty much dead on here. The main thing I see with the OP's workout is the rest issue. The best gains I ever made were when I was only doing a body part once every 10 days. Even doing power-lifting comps now, I still don't train a body part but once every 7 days. I will do assistance exercises instead.