caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

jumping, basketball training

I am a 19 year old freshman college basketball player at a small college in Michigan. I am being asked to play power forward this year despite being only 6'4" (I am backing up a 6'7" player). I weigh 230 pounds and I'm pretty muscular but I can barely get my fingers over the rim when I jump. There are guards on my team that are 6'0" and can dunk, so its pretty embarassing. I've trained steadily since the end of my junior basketball season for football/basketball and followed a good diet. I've gained about 15 pounds of muscle that I've kept, despite pretty steady cardio. I was just wondering what the best way for a quick boost in jumping ability would be. I have plenty of time to train but limited money supply. Any advice would be appreciated.

Pro is just really nice. (+1000) Pro is just really nice. (+1000) Pro is just really nice. (+1000) Pro is just really nice. (+1000) Pro is just really nice. (+1000) Pro is just really nice. (+1000) Pro is just really nice. (+1000) Pro is just really nice. (+1000) Pro is just really nice. (+1000) Pro is just really nice. (+1000) Pro is just really nice. (+1000)
    Pylometrics, getting a six pack, and getting in shape.

caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caveman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what are plyometrics? I am in excellent shape from playing AAU basketball and other camps all summer long. I don't quite have a full sixpack but you can see the separation at the top middle. Does anyone have any specific advice that I could actually use?

Yeti has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah go to www.netfit.co.uk/plyometrics-web.htm
    for some basic plyo info
    you need to do the lower body plyo like 2 or 3 times a week keep your diet really clean and lower your b/f
    your coach should have a lot of plyo drills for you if you ask
    my friend plays and they always have to do box jumps and **** like that
    "i eat ya children"-Mike Tyson

another good exercise is frog leaps
    get down like a frog with a heavy dumbell and explode up and forward keep doing that go like down and back across gym floor

Iamthebullgod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    squats, bench press, dead lifts. Explosive movement lifts

yeah and do power cleans too, you can alternate with deadlifts

Thanks Yeti, I'll check out that website. But I've never done powercleans and from what I understand they are dangerous. Anyone have any advice on how to get started doing them?

HighPeak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Olympic lifts are great for explosive power and acceleration, the pros have incredible verts at 300 pounds.
    Whoever said that bodybuilders aren't athletes has never been a bodybuilder!!!

ex banana-eater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by caveman
    Thanks Yeti, I'll check out that website. But I've never done powercleans and from what I understand they are dangerous. Anyone have any advice on how to get started doing them?
    powercleans wont really help your jumping ability, but will help with overall strength. they are not dangerous, people who dont know how to excercise properly are dangerous.

i am following a sport routine and this is what id suggest to you:

3 days a week to work on explosive olympic lifting and powerlifting methods. go 3 x 5 for all excercises except calves. and for your bench, squat, and deads, for 4 x6. these will give you explosive speed and strength if perfored correctly.

endurance days: should be two or three a week.
    endurance days you should work a great deal on speed, flexibility, agility, GPP, and plyometrics.

here are the excercises i use, you may want to sort through them because i my routine is designed for rugby or football, not basketball

tire pull
    chute pull
    sled pull
    log pull
    tire flip
    log flip
    shuttle run
    dot drill
    med ball
    10 yard sprints
    40 yard sprints
    tuc jumps
    bounding
    hop overs
    con work (incorporate hip and trunk movement)

your best bets to increase vertical are bounds, hurdle hopping, single leg hopping, box jumps, depth jumps, tuck jumps, and bunny hops. all increase jumping height. instructions on how to do these here: http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/legplymo.htm

for your routine, weightlifting movements that you must have:
    squat
    deadlift
    clean
    clean and jerk (alternate with the clean)
    snatch
    bench
    other olympics lifts are up to you, they can only help you!

Also, as far as plyometrics go, should I try to do alot of volume or keep it low? I'm not worried about losing too much mass.

1 to 3 sets for each excercise, 5 to 10 repetitions per set. you wont lose muscle from this bro, especially if you are eating properly. id say that GPP and plyometrics have helped me out even more with muscle.

that site also shows how many repititions to do for plyometrics and GPP

wow you've been registered for a really long time.

doctorben@cyber-rights.ne BigBenn's Avatar
    BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000)
    stand, jump, stand, jump. I used no plyos and I can throw down a few...

Get the feel for it
    [email]doctorben@cyber-rights.net[/email]

krisrogers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    here is my lower leg **** for kick speed and strength which will apply to jumping as well

Double Foot Hops
    Astride Jumps
    Compass Jumps
    Rat-a-tats
    Calf Raises
    Squat Jumps
    Squat Kicks
    Static Squat

Your legs should be like jelly by the end of thisbut it should really give u some explosive leg strength and speed
    sneaky_ferrit@hotmail.com -> msn

BULKING.....Again....

krisrogers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Pro
    Pylometrics, getting a six pack, and getting in shape.
    Obviously lowering BF would help but what does a six pack have to do with anything?
    sneaky_ferrit@hotmail.com -> msn

BULKING.....Again....

iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i think he just means hav strong abs and good core body strength
    ((((()-----------((((()

http://www.********.com/skinnyaaroncurtis

Calorie Surplus + Progressive Overload x Years Training = Continuous Gains. UMAD GH15?

"My BeNcH pReSs BrInGs All ThE GirLs To ThE yArD, n ThEy'Re LiKe, YoUr PeCs ArE LaRgE, dAmN rIgHt My PeCs ArE LaRgE, u CaN tOuCh ThEm, bUt IlL hAvE tO cHaRgE."

Originally posted by ex banana-eater
    wow you've been registered for a really long time.
    I originally registered before senior football, and after my first few months of lifting to brag about my progress. After reading for like a day I found out everyone gets huge gains in their first few months, heh. Thanks for all the help though.

Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by ex banana-eater

powercleans wont really help your jumping ability, but will help with overall strength. they are not dangerous, people who dont know how to excercise properly are dangerous.

*actually powercleans will help you jump higher... they help develop rate of force same as plyometrics. The increase of rate of force will increase the ability to jump higher and run faster.

i am following a sport routine and this is what id suggest to you:

3 days a week to work on explosive olympic lifting and powerlifting methods. go 3 x 5 for all excercises except calves. and for your bench, squat, and deads, for 4 x6. these will give you explosive speed and strength if perfored correctly.

endurance days: should be two or three a week.
    endurance days you should work a great deal on speed, flexibility, agility, GPP, and plyometrics.

here are the excercises i use, you may want to sort through them because i my routine is designed for rugby or football, not basketball

tire pull
    chute pull
    sled pull
    log pull
    tire flip
    log flip
    shuttle run
    dot drill
    med ball
    10 yard sprints
    40 yard sprints
    tuc jumps
    bounding
    hop overs
    con work (incorporate hip and trunk movement)

your best bets to increase vertical are bounds, hurdle hopping, single leg hopping, box jumps, depth jumps, tuck jumps, and bunny hops. all increase jumping height. instructions on how to do these here: http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/legplymo.htm

for your routine, weightlifting movements that you must have:
    squat
    deadlift
    clean
    clean and jerk (alternate with the clean)
    snatch
    bench
    other olympics lifts are up to you, they can only help you!
    figured id give my little imput on things.

FYI..the average vertical in Divison I mens basketball is only 21inchs...some of yall will find that hard to swallow.

Another bit of info... some olympic lifters, iam talking ones over 250-300lbs, have recored a vertical jump of over 30-40 inchs.. they have also been know to out sprint olympic sprinters in the 20m.

Some food for thought.

deftonezlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

i found some great instuctional videos

check out this link i think it'll be of great benefit
    http://www.worldclasscoachingllc.com/

and check out what olympic lifting has done for this guy
    "I have been Olympic-style weightlifting and competing since 1996. I have always trained in a way that would make me stronger as well as making me a better athlete. At 5'9" and 360 lbs, I can do a standing back flip, dunk a basketball, and run under 5 seconds in the 40 yd dash. I attribute my athletic ability to training the right way. Stretching and using the right techniques are the most important things to me."
    Shane Hamman
    Power Lifting 92-96
    3 time National Champion
    2 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze in World Championships
    14 total world records
    Current world record Squat 1008 lbs
    Best lifts 1008 Squat, 551 Bench Press, 733 Deadlift, 2259 lbs total

Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do believe i have featured him into my article on olympic lifting.

lifter