Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by White Prince
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that you have 15.5" arms
    yet you can pull up 200lb bodyweight + 160lb? If that is the case, that's
    ****ing unbelievable. How tall are you dude?
    6 feet tall. And yeah, that's what I'm saying. For some reason I'm much stronger with weighted pullups and chinups than I am with anything else. My weakpoint is at the top of the motion and I've started training them with chains and bands. So hopefully I'll be shattering those numbers sometime soon.

imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister
    u do actually
    besides pullups and dips (only for a short time) tell me what else its good for ?
    squat
    -Mortality-

Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here's the thing, they're both necessary exercises and they're both designed for completely different things. For widening your lats, wide grip pullups all the way, preferably weighted. But, if you're looking to thicken your back theres really no substitute for barbell rows. It's kind of hard to say one's better than the other cuz they're both quite necessary.
    Blue jays/Spartans/Colts

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do them both, but since you want me to pick one I said pull ups. Many people will tell you that the key to big arms is a great back routine. So if ya want those arms to grow, focus on your back, doing pulls and rows superset, with high intensity.

bobsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    barbell rows

bobsy

gkeki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Door pull-ups??

Hey guys, I assume that most of you prefer pull-ups Would you go for it even it is a "door pull-up" ? Just wondering...

bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by momotheglutton
    6 feet tall. And yeah, that's what I'm saying. For some reason I'm much stronger with weighted pullups and chinups than I am with anything else. My weakpoint is at the top of the motion and I've started training them with chains and bands. So hopefully I'll be shattering those numbers sometime soon.

Is that starting at a straight arm hang? I can push out 4 reps w/ 90lb attached and Im 170.

momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bgzee
    Is that starting at a straight arm hang? I can push out 4 reps w/ 90lb attached and Im 170.
    Yeah. But like I said I haven't actually tested the 160 and can only claim an easy 145. With 4 reps with 90 you could probably move a decent amount of weight though.

tonytartufo will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonytartufo will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonytartufo will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonytartufo will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonytartufo will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonytartufo will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonytartufo will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonytartufo will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonytartufo will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonytartufo will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonytartufo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Pull-ups are the best exercise you can do for your back. I do 10 sets of 10. Slow and strict about 3 times per week.

Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by nads786
    jus wondering if u had to do one or the other which one would u guyz chose and why
    It's not an "either or" question dude. Pull-ups "wide" will hit the lats for your width, Barbell rows will hit the trap and give you the "Thick" back.

Personally I prefer Cable & T-bar and dumbbell rows for a thick back.

Door pull ups?? anybody?
    One Life * One Chance
    -----------------------
    6' 3"
    211 lbs

Neck 17,3"
    Arms 16,7"
    Chest 44"
    Waist 35"
    Thighs 26"
    Calves 16"

Odin87 is not very well liked. (-100) Odin87 is not very well liked. (-100) Odin87 is not very well liked. (-100) Odin87 is not very well liked. (-100) Odin87 is not very well liked. (-100) Odin87 is not very well liked. (-100) Odin87 is not very well liked. (-100) Odin87 is not very well liked. (-100) Odin87 is not very well liked. (-100) Odin87 is not very well liked. (-100) Odin87 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by gkeki
    Door pull ups?? anybody?
    i use to do door pullups, until i found out that the door could break off if its not strong enough to resist your weight.
    Odin
    I have all of the characteristics of a shaman:
    I can transform into any shape desired
    I blind my enemies in battles, makes their swords and knifes blunt and is able to disappear at will.
    I'am master over all of the berserks
    I have has a perfect control over the weather.
    I can wake the dead and talk to people which have been hung
    I knows the verbal as well as the written magic
    I can open the graves and the earth

yeah but I have chin up bar outdoors only So have to look for some alternatives and that's what I got Is that ok to do till the weather gets better so can pull-ups can be done outdoors? Tks, Gery
    One Life * One Chance
    -----------------------
    6' 3"
    211 lbs

Neck 17,3"
    Arms 16,7"
    Chest 44"
    Waist 35"
    Thighs 26"
    Calves 16"

Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    weighted pullups any day. It's a lot harder than it looks.

miche13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miche13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miche13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miche13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miche13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miche13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miche13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miche13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miche13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miche13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miche13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Weighted Pullup pic

some of you might have seen this sending it out there again

http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/Extre...t/workout.html

The first back exersice I do is weighted pullups the next one is lat rows

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tonytartufo
    Pull-ups are the best exercise you can do for your back. I do 10 sets of 10. Slow and strict about 3 times per week.
    That seems like too much. Maybe if you're not doing a strict lifting routine, but if you're doing that on top of a split routine, that's definitely overkill. 300 pullups a week? lol wow, way too many. Sounds like you might be overtraining. But like I said, if all you were doing for "lifting" was pullups, I guess it would be ok.............................
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    pull ups

F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Very ambigious question as they focus on different kind of developments, it is analogous to asking whether leg presses are better than hacks.

mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    what is the purpose of behind the neck chins(thats pronated grip right?) and how often should I include them in the routine? I did 2 sets of 5 reps today.

imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) imageek is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    pullups no questions asked
    -Mortality-

mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    what is the purpose of behind the neck chins(thats pronated grip right?) and how often should I include them in the routine? I did 2 sets of 5 reps today.

Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Like many others said, both are essential. However, i feel my back working more when i'm doing chins/pullups. They're also my favourite exercise.

BTW, i'm wondering how to differentiate between a pullup and a chinup?

I do them with my palms facing away from me.

JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JBDW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mattman
    I wouldn't recommend doing pulls behind your neck. IMO there's no extra advantage doing them and you could possibly hurt your neck and shoulders.

I was doing behind the neck chinups right, cause my hands were facing away from me? I can get hurt doing them?

Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I always include both in my workout. I'm finally getting to the point where I can add a pretty decent amount of weight on my pull-ups. All the way up, all the way down - feels great.
    Kicking gravity's ass.

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    There is no "king". One is for thickness, the other is for width. Both are ESSENTIAL for complete back development.

agreed

Exclamation That's tuff

Guys, try to do pull-ups/chins to your abs it is fvkin' cruel! Also you can try L-hang combined with pull-ups, in prisons called "blasters". Man that's tha ****!
    One Life * One Chance
    -----------------------
    6' 3"
    211 lbs

Neck 17,3"
    Arms 16,7"
    Chest 44"
    Waist 35"
    Thighs 26"
    Calves 16"

tredaway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know this is an old thread however after reading all the posts that say wide grip pull ups/chins do you realise that wide grip isn't the best option as your actually shortening the range of motion, and a neutral grip is probably the best as its much kinder on your shoulders and wrists.

Oh and to answer the question pull ups/chins all the way.

GZAakaGENIUS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I hate these types of questions. But if I can add my 2 cents if u got the powah u can turn a pull up into a bodyweight row by leaning back.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tredaway View Post
    I know this is an old thread however after reading all the posts that say wide grip pull ups/chins do you realise that wide grip isn't the best option as your actually shortening the range of motion, and a neutral grip is probably the best as its much kinder on your shoulders and wrists.

Oh and to answer the question pull ups/chins all the way.
    Greater ROM doesn't necessarily mean more work is done by the target muscle. You might be better off using shorter ROM and heavier weight depending on your goals. Hope this helped.