madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Some advice for probably personal trainer starting his own gym?

I would like some input from you guys on starting up my own gym. Here is the deal...my father owns a real esate office and it is split up into a few offices. On the side of the building their is an open office I would say about 20x15 sqft. I currently am full time employed and I was talking to him about using that side office to start up a gym and see where it goes. What do you guys think? What are some things I should start up with besides a business plan obviously. He told me he won't charge me any rent so I could if I wanted too work there as much as I want including weekends. I don't have kids and I am not married or anything so any income I generate would be extra money. What do you think I am in for with starting up this business? The business is located on a major street with a pretty good population and I would say middle class people live around here. I am curious as to what you guys think. I know that is a very vague question but I would like to know what you guys would do if you were in my shoes. I obviously have to get certified first but once I get certified I really want to give it a shot and see what happens. Can you guys give me some advice as far as marketing goes or prices and deals and maybe some thing to watch out for. I know the equipment to get and their is room for a nice squat rack,eliptical,treamill,bike, rack of dumbbells like you see in major gyms. I could get medicine balls and a nice tv or whatever so the atmosphere is right. Just some suggestions and advice. I do not want to sound arrogant but I have been told before that I should be a model and women find me attractive. I think I could generate a good amount of clients. I hate saying things like that about myself but you guys don't know me or what I look like and the world we live in, especially when it comes to personal training the better you look it helps your credibility. Thanks a lot and I attached some pictures and I know it does not explain the room perfectly but it will give you an idea. Keep in mind those desks and walls and everything else would be changed around and moved. Thanks
    Attached Images
    Last edited by madeira17; 09-30-2010 at 02:26 PM.

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No overhead!

Do it. You have nothing to lose in this situation. You can start by meeting his real estate agents, giving them a discount on training, go to all the local businesses, and go from there.
    Any trainer here would jump all over it, because there is no overhead....you're lucky

ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE
    Mastering Yourself Makes You Fearless

madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MVP View Post
    No overhead!

Do it. You have nothing to lose in this situation. You can start by meeting his real estate agents, giving them a discount on training, go to all the local businesses, and go from there.
    Any trainer here would jump all over it, because there is no overhead....you're lucky

ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE
    See that is exactly how I see it too. I am fortunate enough to not have to pay rent, this office used to be occupied but not anymore. I would have to get liability insurance and all that though right? How much would that be just out of curiousity. Anybody else care to chime in and give me some advice. I would be the owner of the gym and I work odd hours right now. One week I work 6am to 2:30pm then the next week 2:30pm-1045pm. I would love to offer gym memberships but if I am not there then I am closed. What do you think about that? Weekends I can stay there all the time and for two weeks out of the month I can be there from 3pm until whenever. Thanks MVP.

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In regards to equipment, buyas muchas you can second hand. so many people buy quality gym equipment but never use it and but it on ebay/craigslist.

With that said, you dont really NEED alot of equipment for a good workout. As your studio isnt the biggest, cramming it with equipment will not be ideal.

Do you have a nearby park?

Originally Posted by jules_d1 View Post
    In regards to equipment, buyas muchas you can second hand. so many people buy quality gym equipment but never use it and but it on ebay/craigslist.

With that said, you dont really NEED alot of equipment for a good workout. As your studio isnt the biggest, cramming it with equipment will not be ideal.

Do you have a nearby park?
    What do you mean by do I have a park near me? If you mean a neighborhood park I suppose I do. Their are a lot of schools and univerisitys within 10 minutes of this office. I hear you when you say don't add a lot of stuff. What do you guys think I should get though to apply to the masses. I know squat rack and bench and all that but then I have to worry about pleasing the middle aged woman who will come in and don't want to just do squats and benchs if you know what I mean.

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by madeira17 View Post
    What do you mean by do I have a park near me? If you mean a neighborhood park I suppose I do. Their are a lot of schools and univerisitys within 10 minutes of this office. I hear you when you say don't add a lot of stuff. What do you guys think I should get though to apply to the masses. I know squat rack and bench and all that but then I have to worry about pleasing the middle aged woman who will come in and don't want to just do squats and benchs if you know what I mean.
    as in a park where you can take clients outdoors to train as well. sometimes thats much more appealing to clients than being stuck inside.

extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jules_d1 View Post
    as in a park where you can take clients outdoors to train as well. sometimes thats much more appealing to clients than being stuck inside.
    and 20x15 sq feet isn't that big :\ even for 1 on 1 training , that is pretty darn cramped.
    [Fat Loss|Nutrition|www.MRTIMOTHYLEE.com|Training|ContestPrep]

tinyhulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) tinyhulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) tinyhulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) tinyhulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) tinyhulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) tinyhulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) tinyhulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) tinyhulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) tinyhulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) tinyhulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) tinyhulk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    See that is exactly how I see it too. I am fortunate enough to not have to pay rent, this office used to be occupied but not anymore. I would have to get liability insurance and all that though right? How much would that be just out of curiousity. Anybody else care to chime in and give me some advice. I would be the owner of the gym and I work odd hours right now. One week I work 6am to 2:30pm then the next week 2:30pm-1045pm. I would love to offer gym memberships but if I am not there then I am closed. What do you think about that? Weekends I can stay there all the time and for two weeks out of the month I can be there from 3pm until whenever. Thanks MVP.

Looking at your hours i think you would need to jump in 100%. (I.E. quit your job)

Or find other trainers to rent the space to. (with a father in real estate he could help you out)

I don't think you will find many clients who can/want to work out mornings 1 week then evening the next.

If you are speaking of gym memberships, as in people come in to work out on their own, i don't think you would get very far. I can pay $20-30 a month for the local big box gym. Open 5am-11pm mon-fri and 8-8 on weekends. They have free classes, loads of equipment, sauna, heated pool, racquetball and or basketball courts etc. For you to charge a membership fee for people to work out around your schedule in a 15x20 ft gym you would have to charge $5 a month for people to consider it.

I think you have a great opportunity to start a studio, but you have to make a sacrifice to see it work. The good news is you have no wife or kids to support and that is the time to take these chances, bad news is you have little or no experience, i assume since your not certified yet, and you don't have the time with your current job to give your clients consistency IMO.
    Your "good looks" might get clients in the door but it will not keep them there.

I would set it up and rent space, get a cert and do some fitness assessments, intro sessions and a class on weekends to see how you like it and get your face out there. If things are good and you see a lot of traffic, you can go to full time training, If the studio doesn't generate a lot of business you still have your day job and make some money from rent.

Registered User ericzimmerman34's Avatar
    ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What certifications/experience do you have for personal training?
    Obssession is a word lazy people use to describe dedication.

If your not nervous before going to the gym your probably not working out hard enough (my new favorite quote)

B.S. in Exercise and Sports Science
    Cooper Functional Trainer Cert.
    NASM CES in progress

Chris Tina Bruce Chris Tina Bruce's Avatar
    Chris Tina Bruce will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chris Tina Bruce will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chris Tina Bruce will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chris Tina Bruce will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chris Tina Bruce will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chris Tina Bruce will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chris Tina Bruce will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chris Tina Bruce will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chris Tina Bruce will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chris Tina Bruce will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chris Tina Bruce will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Cash Flow, Neighborhood Marketing, Cash Flow, Local Business Marketing, Cash Flow, Focus on Customers and oh yea, Cash Flow.

If you do not lose focus on the items above you will be 95% a head of most gym and business.

Be Bold, Be Proud, Be Yourself.
    Chris

I would like some input from you guys on starting up my own gym. Here is the deal...my father owns a real esate office and it is split up into a few offices. On the side of the building their is an open office I would say about 20x15 sqft. I currently am full time employed and I was talking to him about using that side office to start up a gym and see where it goes. What do you guys think? What are some things I should start up with besides a business plan obviously. He told me he won't charge me any rent so I could if I wanted too work there as much as I want including weekends. I don't have kids and I am not married or anything so any income I generate would be extra money. What do you think I am in for with starting up this business? The business is located on a major street with a pretty good population and I would say middle class people live around here. I am curious as to what you guys think. I know that is a very vague question but I would like to know what you guys would do if you were in my shoes. I obviously have to get certified first but once I get certified I really want to give it a shot and see what happens. Can you guys give me some advice as far as marketing goes or prices and deals and maybe some thing to watch out for. I know the equipment to get and their is room for a nice squat rack,eliptical,treamill,bike, rack of dumbbells like you see in major gyms. I could get medicine balls and a nice tv or whatever so the atmosphere is right. Just some suggestions and advice. I do not want to sound arrogant but I have been told before that I should be a model and women find me attractive. I think I could generate a good amount of clients. I hate saying things like that about myself but you guys don't know me or what I look like and the world we live in, especially when it comes to personal training the better you look it helps your credibility. Thanks a lot and I attached some pictures and I know it does not explain the room perfectly but it will give you an idea. Keep in mind those desks and walls and everything else would be changed around and moved. Thanks
    Be Bold, Be Proud, Be Yourself.
    www.ChrisTinaBruceFitness.com
    Chris Tina Bruce