swimnini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Fascinated by the result of upping calories

Hello everyone,

I only joined the forum couple of weeks ago, and I have to say I have absolutely been blown away by how much useful information and positive energy this place can offer. I am just so glad that I found this place!

Now to the topic, I have been trying to build muscle and strength for only a good few month. I am 5'4 around 141lbs (64kg), lifting 4 times a week, full body workouts, currently being put on low reps heavy weights.

I had been on and off diet for God knows how many times, I am pretty sure my metabolism is damaged from all those incorrect diets I been on in the past. Therefore when I first saw advises on upping calories to fix up metabolism, I was intrigued!! Following some searching on the forum for information on increasing calories, I started eating around 1500-1600, and was amazed by how stable my weight has been this whole week, most importantly how much leaner I have become. Huge difference I can tell from the mirror and my cloths. My lifts are improving and its amazing!! I feel like I have gained back control of my own body (just how many times have I used the word AMAZE?) LOL

So here's my question, can anyone be kind enough and explain to me why I am getting leaner from eating more than I have been instead of putting on fat/weight? I am just very interested to hear everyone's opinion!! Thanks in advance if anybody who even intened to reply to my thread!

I am thinking about upping the cals to over 1700 starting next week and see how my body feels. This experience is so new to me that I am without speech at times!

shmalex4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmalex4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmalex4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmalex4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmalex4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmalex4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmalex4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmalex4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmalex4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmalex4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shmalex4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I cant explain why, but I know it happens! and good luck!!

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There is this thing that we call "beginner gains" that happens when people are either just starting out or starting after a long lay off. During this "magic" time you can both lose fat and gain muscle at the same time if you eat at or just slightly above maintenance. Congrats and enjoy. The book called, New Rules of Lifting for Women really explains this better.

Originally Posted by kfisherx View Post
    There is this thing that we call "beginner gains" that happens when people are either just starting out or starting after a long lay off. During this "magic" time you can both lose fat and gain muscle at the same time if you eat at or just slightly above maintenance. Congrats and enjoy. The book called, New Rules of Lifting for Women really explains this better.
    Thanks! I ordered NROLW and still waiting for it to arrive I ma excited!!

StannaRad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StannaRad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StannaRad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StannaRad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StannaRad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StannaRad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StannaRad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StannaRad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StannaRad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StannaRad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StannaRad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Originally Posted by swimnini View Post
    Hello everyone,

I only joined the forum couple of weeks ago, and I have to say I have absolutely been blown away by how much useful information and positive energy this place can offer. I am just so glad that I found this place!

Now to the topic, I have been trying to build muscle and strength for only a good few month. I am 5'4 around 141lbs (64kg), lifting 4 times a week, full body workouts, currently being put on low reps heavy weights.

I had been on and off diet for God knows how many times, I am pretty sure my metabolism is damaged from all those incorrect diets I been on in the past. Therefore when I first saw advises on upping calories to fix up metabolism, I was intrigued!! Following some searching on the forum for information on increasing calories, I started eating around 1500-1600, and was amazed by how stable my weight has been this whole week, most importantly how much leaner I have become. Huge difference I can tell from the mirror and my cloths. My lifts are improving and its amazing!! I feel like I have gained back control of my own body (just how many times have I used the word AMAZE?) LOL

So here's my question, can anyone be kind enough and explain to me why I am getting leaner from eating more than I have been instead of putting on fat/weight? I am just very interested to hear everyone's opinion!! Thanks in advance if anybody who even intened to reply to my thread!

I am thinking about upping the cals to over 1700 starting next week and see how my body feels. This experience is so new to me that I am without speech at times!
    Interesting responses you got. That's why I love this forum! There really isn't anywhere to ask cause most women don't seem to lift :-(.

I am no expert by any means but I wonder if it could be a change in your macro breakdown. Have you upped the protein and reduced your carbs? I agree that your calorie intake is the deciding factor but i know I never in my life have eaten protein at this high a level. The American diet is just that way ( gosh look at the food pyramid- lol ).

I never noticed my body fat going down all that much but I was lean to begin with ( too thin actually ) but had this stubborn stomach fat which i keep hearing is VERY hard to get rid of and is a creature all its own.

Originally Posted by StannaRad View Post
    Interesting responses you got. That's why I love this forum! There really isn't anywhere to ask cause most women don't seem to lift :-(.

I am no expert by any means but I wonder if it could be a change in your macro breakdown. Have you upped the protein and reduced your carbs? I agree that your calorie intake is the deciding factor but i know I never in my life have eaten protein at this high a level. The American diet is just that way ( gosh look at the food pyramid- lol ).

I never noticed my body fat going down all that much but I was lean to begin with ( too thin actually ) but had this stubborn stomach fat which i keep hearing is VERY hard to get rid of and is a creature all its own.
    Hi StannaRad,

I have never had any idea about how the macros can do to your body, and I was like one of those many people who thought..."oh, stay away from fats!" Although I am aware that there are good and bad fats, but the concept was only vague. Therefore I'd say I have upped my fats intake, also finally taking in the right amount of protein. I am pretty sure I have upped at least 3 times of fats cos I didn't realize how much fat I should be eating :P

after hovering around this forum and did the math according to the stickies I become truly conscious of the importance of choosing the right food to eat! another good thing, I am now having a better relationship with food, knowing that as long as I am eating clean and within range, nothing is gonna come to harm (but seriously, I am eating a LOT more than I used to...sometimes I think I am scaring my co-workers at work) HAHA

uk3mi is on a distinguished road. (+10) uk3mi is on a distinguished road. (+10) uk3mi is on a distinguished road. (+10) uk3mi is on a distinguished road. (+10) uk3mi is on a distinguished road. (+10) uk3mi is on a distinguished road. (+10) uk3mi is on a distinguished road. (+10) uk3mi is on a distinguished road. (+10) uk3mi is on a distinguished road. (+10) uk3mi is on a distinguished road. (+10) uk3mi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm also having that newbie gain experience.
    I started at 1500-1600, upping month after month up to > 2000 cal a day, sometimes even close to 3000. At first I actually lost weight by eating more, then the weight loss itself decreased but measurements went down (and lifts went up). Its quite an amazing thing really.

Now I'm not counting cals anymore, not cutting not bulking either. Just focusing on lifting heavier and eating as needed. I know if I go under 2000 cal a day, I start loosing weight. But I will do that later I think, I've got some proper muscle to grow first
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125294131

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by uk3mi View Post
    I'm also having that newbie gain experience.
    I started at 1500-1600, upping month after month up to > 2000 cal a day, sometimes even close to 3000. At first I actually lost weight by eating more, then the weight loss itself decreased but measurements went down (and lifts went up). Its quite an amazing thing really.

Now I'm not counting cals anymore, not cutting not bulking either. Just focusing on lifting heavier and eating as needed. I know if I go under 2000 cal a day, I start loosing weight. But I will do that later I think, I've got some proper muscle to grow first
    I just want you all to know that all of us "not newbies" are jealous as hell!

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your maintenance cals should be around 2200 cals, so you'd like to be around 1700 for fat loss. What happens when you eat too little is your body stresses, cortisol rises, and it adapts to survive. You also lose energy and your workouts suffer. Fat loss just seems to go nowhere. Plus you have nowhere to go in term of lowering your cals when you finally do drop weight. This is beyond the normal plateau that everyone can experience when dieting.

I'm not a believer in macros effecting fat loss unless your fat intake it too low. Good fats are essential for the body to function properly. Including losing fat. Macros are important to your other goals like gaining muscle, sports performance, etc.

Congrats on your progress!

Thank you for everyone's input!

I am upping my cals by another 100 starting next week to 1700-1800 ans will see how things go. In terms of upping cals, which macro should I increase my intake on? or is it best to kind of equally distribute across the three?

Also, I ordered The New Rules of Lifting for Women and its expected to arrive in a few days.
    I am currently on the program that my trainer wrote for me. Once I have the book, is it wise to follow the programs in the book? I have no idea what the book is like but I am super duper excited, it cost me AUD$28 I am gonna have to get the best out of it!!

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thank you for everyone's input!

I am upping my cals by another 100 starting next week to 1700-1800 ans will see how things go. In terms of upping cals, which macro should I increase my intake on? or is it best to kind of equally distribute across the three?

Also, I ordered The New Rules of Lifting for Women and its expected to arrive in a few days.
    I am currently on the program that my trainer wrote for me. Once I have the book, is it wise to follow the programs in the book? I have no idea what the book is like but I am super duper excited, it cost me AUD$28 I am gonna have to get the best out of it!!
    I wouldn't go above 1700 cals. What are your macros now?

NROLFW is a very good book. Both for the workout and nutrition. Whether you decide to follow it or your trainer is up to you. It's still a good reference book even if you don't follow the program.

Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    I wouldn't go above 1700 cals. What are your macros now?

NROLFW is a very good book. Both for the workout and nutrition. Whether you decide to follow it or your trainer is up to you. It's still a good reference book even if you don't follow the program.
    Hi freebirdmac,

I am have been eating 141p 100c 64f, this was where I started two weeks ago. For the past week I have been trying out different combos in order to bring the cals up to 1600+, so on workout days I will up carbs; on off days I'd either up protein or fat depending whats more convenient at the time. I dont know if this is the right way to do in terms of upping cals, just trial and error I guess :P Any suggestions?

Hi freebirdmac,

I am have been eating 141p 100c 64f, this was where I started two weeks ago. For the past week I have been trying out different combos in order to bring the cals up to 1600+, so on workout days I will up carbs; on off days I'd either up protein or fat depending whats more convenient at the time. I dont know if this is the right way to do in terms of upping cals, just trial and error I guess :P Any suggestions?
    I'd keep it simple and adopt a daily plan. Like 170g protein, 127-170g carbs, and 38-56g fat. Find a comfortable place for the latter two and do it every day. You can use carbs on rest days. Sometimes it's just as important for recovery as for energy. Save carb cycling for later. Only use the wiggle room for special circumstances.

Oh, those numbers are for 1700 cals.

I'd keep it simple and adopt a daily plan. Like 170g protein, 127-170g carbs, and 38-56g fat. Find a comfortable place for the latter two and do it every day. You can use carbs on rest days. Sometimes it's just as important for recovery as for energy. Save carb cycling for later. Only use the wiggle room for special circumstances.

great advice thanks! You are right, I probably should have a simple daily plan just so I don't steer myself off the track. Can you explain to me how you came up with the numbers? just so next time when I try to change the marcos I'd have a basic idea how to play with the numbers.

great advice thanks! You are right, I probably should have a simple daily plan just so I don't steer myself off the track. Can you explain to me how you came up with the numbers? just so next time when I try to change the marcos I'd have a basic idea how to play with the numbers.
    I used 40/40/20 and 40/30/30 for the macros, thus the range for carbs and fat.

chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kfisherx View Post
    I just want you all to know that all of us "not newbies" are jealous as hell!
    VERY jealous! Fantastic changes you're making swimnini... keep it up and the newbies will be jealous of you!
    "The more you tell me I can't do something the more successful I will be at making you look like a fool" - C. Cutting

"There will always be reasons not to do something... will there ever be enough to do it?" C. Cutting

"Waiting for motivation to come to you may work sometimes but the most successful people always go looking for it when it is lacking" C. Cutting

I used 40/40/20 and 40/30/30 for the macros, thus the range for carbs and fat.
    Got you! Thanks!

My ultimate goal is to loose around 10lbs, but I am taking it slow, want to get everything right and do the right thing before I start cutting down on cals.

How high do you suggest me to increase my calories to before I start eating lower cals to loose some weight? Or please correct me if me talking about the scale weight is nonsense :P I really appreciate your replies to my seemingly endless questions freebirdmac. You have been a great help!

Talking

Originally Posted by chelly88 View Post
    VERY jealous! Fantastic changes you're making swimnini... keep it up and the newbies will be jealous of you!
    Thanks Chelly, I should say us neewbies are jealous of you all for having achieved to much and we are only just getting started.....

Got you! Thanks!

My ultimate goal is to loose around 10lbs, but I am taking it slow, want to get everything right and do the right thing before I start cutting down on cals.

How high do you suggest me to increase my calories to before I start eating lower cals to loose some weight? Or please correct me if me talking about the scale weight is nonsense :P I really appreciate your replies to my seemingly endless questions freebirdmac. You have been a great help!
    @1700 you should lose bf. Use how your clothes fit, measurements, and progress picts. Not the scale. It lies. You can gain muscle, gain muscle pump, and otherwise retain water (think hormones). It is not the way to judge progress.

Since you are already seeing signs of leaning out I think your metabolism is ok. You probably did enough yo-yoing not to hinder it. Focus on your weights and increasing lifts. Take your mind off losing bf

@1700 you should lose bf. Use how your clothes fit, measurements, and progress picts. Not the scale. It lies. You can gain muscle, gain muscle pump, and otherwise retain water (think hormones). It is not the way to judge progress.

Since you are already seeing signs of leaning out I think your metabolism is ok. You probably did enough yo-yoing not to hinder it. Focus on your weights and increasing lifts. Take your mind off losing bf
    It really is amazing how eating the right food and macro numbers can do to our body. I am eating so much more than before and it feels like I am always eating but still getting leaner.
    I am much happier too. I just focus on my diet now knowing what I put in my mouth is only doing good to my body and I have also come to learn what are the right choices of food. Totally enjoying the experience!!

I have been trying to eat 1700cals since this week and so far so good, except I feel like I am stuffing myself everyday... sometimes simply meeting protein and fat makes me full. Is it ok if I try upping fats to bring up the cals more, and whats the highest grams of fat can I take in a day? Or is there any better strategy for me to meet my cal target without feeling stuffy all the time? Thanks!!