norm92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post workout question

This happens to me often, and I wanted to get some feedback to see if anyone knows why or if it happens to anyone else. After an intense workout, I usually drink a protein shake and have to sleep for at least an hour. After the workout I feel fatique and tired. I usually workout from 8-9AM and need an hour nap afterward to recover. Those this seem natural? I'm thinking of moving my workouts to 8-9PM so I can go to bed afterwards.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
    Norm

TheLedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not enough sleep prior,not enough carbs prior (day before) or overtraining would be my guesses. Very strange though, I have never felt like that before.

ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think it depends on what that post workout drink entails, sounds to me as though you are getting a big insulin surge and that is putting you to sleep.
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the ILLUSION of knowlegde! - Stephen Hawking

Tampa, FL
    NSCA CSCS, BS
    twitter @maxwellob

[ ] Bulking [x] Cutting RayneOrShyne's Avatar
    RayneOrShyne is a name known to all. (+5000) RayneOrShyne is a name known to all. (+5000) RayneOrShyne is a name known to all. (+5000) RayneOrShyne is a name known to all. (+5000) RayneOrShyne is a name known to all. (+5000) RayneOrShyne is a name known to all. (+5000) RayneOrShyne is a name known to all. (+5000) RayneOrShyne is a name known to all. (+5000) RayneOrShyne is a name known to all. (+5000) RayneOrShyne is a name known to all. (+5000) RayneOrShyne is a name known to all. (+5000)
    One thing to consider may be the way your body is handling oxygen. I've seen people with exercise induced asthma that have the same sort of issue. It wouldn't hurt to see a doctor, there are breathing exercises that could lessen if not totally resolve the issue (depending on how severe it is).

tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by norm92 View Post
    This happens to me often, and I wanted to get some feedback to see if anyone knows why or if it happens to anyone else. After an intense workout, I usually drink a protein shake and have to sleep for at least an hour. After the workout I feel fatique and tired. I usually workout from 8-9AM and need an hour nap afterward to recover. Those this seem natural? I'm thinking of moving my workouts to 8-9PM so I can go to bed afterwards.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
    Norm
    Sounds like a clear-cut case of not cooling down after your workout. Cooling down gradually brings the heart rate back to the resting rate; this is important because if you just abruptly stop working out when you're finished with your exercises, your heartrate will go down too quickly and your blood will pool in your extremities. This means less oxygen for the brain which = exhaustion.

Try getting on a cardio machine after your workout for 5 minutes, starting at a fairly intense level and every minute gradually reduce it till you're at a moderate level. Finish off with some foam rolling and some static stretching—shouldn't take more than 10 extra minutes total and you will not experience this anymore. If I don't cool down the exact same thing happens to me every time.

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lay off the high-GI carbs post workout.
    Just a weight lifter

Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    1hr before: protein & slow digesting carbs
    directly after workout: protein
    ~45mins after: carbs to cause insulin spike

Sounds like you are also not cooling down correctly, if you're lifting after your last set allow some time to taper down, walk around a bit, keep blood flowing, do some stretching.

Start taking your resting HR in the morning, if you see it rise then that is a sign of a taxed CNS and over training.
    Daily Trading FX - HA - S&R

Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Maverick777 View Post
    1hr before: protein & slow digesting carbs
    directly after workout: protein
    ~45mins after: carbs to cause insulin spike

Sounds like you are also not cooling down correctly, if you're lifting after your last set allow some time to taper down, walk around a bit, keep blood flowing, do some stretching.

Start taking your resting HR in the morning, if you see it rise then that is a sign of a taxed CNS and over training.
    Your Pre workout advice is good - 1-1.5hrs before workout Protein + Carb Meal (amounts of each are dependant on total calorie intake for that day)

HOWEVER it is shown that carbohydrates BY THEMSELVES do NOT give and anabolic response in adults. Therefore a protein + carb meal post workout would be more optimal in generating an anabolic response then just a protein meal immediately post then carbs soon after.

In saying that you dont need a tonne of high GI super fast digesting carbs post workout to create this anabolic response (forget about spiking insulin really high for a moment, that is trash) It has been shown that you only need a moderate amount of carbohydrates PWO to give you a good anabolic response in order to create protein synthesis and give the body the growth signal it needs.
    Stay humble. I will never see myself as even an above average bodybuilder. Regardless of how many shows you win, stay grounded and aim for improvement.

-Brian Whitacre

Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Exa123 View Post
    Your Pre workout advice is good - 1-1.5hrs before workout Protein + Carb Meal (amounts of each are dependant on total calorie intake for that day)

HOWEVER it is shown that carbohydrates BY THEMSELVES do NOT give and anabolic response in adults. Therefore a protein + carb meal post workout would be more optimal in generating an anabolic response then just a protein meal immediately post then carbs soon after.

In saying that you dont need a tonne of high GI super fast digesting carbs post workout to create this anabolic response (forget about spiking insulin really high for a moment, that is trash) It has been shown that you only need a moderate amount of carbohydrates PWO to give you a good anabolic response in order to create protein synthesis and give the body the growth signal it needs.
    I lag the carbs Post-Workout because Insulin is not anabolic, hence you want to get the most out of the GH/IGF-1 that your body is releasing while in an anabolic state, hence why only consume the protein immediately post-workout. The carbs are then introduced later after the protein has been moved to the dueodenum and blood stream to stimulate the liver to release insulin and store the carbohydrates as muscle or liver glycogen

Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I lag the carbs Post-Workout because Insulin is not anabolic, hence you want to get the most out of the GH/IGF-1 that your body is releasing while in an anabolic state, hence why only consume the protein immediately post-workout. The carbs are then introduced later after the protein has been moved to the dueodenum and blood stream to stimulate the liver to release insulin and store the carbohydrates as muscle or liver glycogen
    Correct insulin by itself (unless taken in supraphysiological amounts - like some top IFBB pros) is NOT anabolic, however it has been proven time and time again that Protein + Insulin (carbs) is HIGHLY anabolic. This is the way i think of it - Lyle McDonald explains it perfectly - this is taken from this article http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...nutrition.html

1.Protein synthesis > Protein breakdown = Muscle mass increases
    2.Protein synthesis = Protein breakdown = No change in muscle mass
    3.Protein synthesis < Protein breakdown = Muscle mass decreases

AND THEREFORE

1.Protein (amino acids) stimulate protein synthesis but have no impact on protein breakdown.
    2.Insulin (secondary to carb consumption) inhibits protein breakdown with no impact on protein synthesis.

Certainly increasing protein synthesis appears to be relatively more important than decreasing protein breakdown but the simple fact is that you get the biggest overall effect if you target both at the same time. Which means a combination of protein and carbohydrates.

I dont beleive that the theory of carbs blunting the body's releasing GH/IGF-1 as in the fact that a PRO+CHO combo will create MORE of an anabolic situation then the above mentioned.

This is my beleif and has been proven many times over, HOWEVER each to their own mate we may agree to disagree.
    Stay humble. I will never see myself as even an above average bodybuilder. Regardless of how many shows you win, stay grounded and aim for improvement.

-Brian Whitacre

Haha exactly, the thing we have to remember is that the body is never purely in a anabolic or catabolic state, the balance is only tipped in the favor of one.

I'd much rather ingest proteins, let the body break them down, and then have insulin to use those amino acids in protein synth. It doesn't take long if ingested liquidly to break down and hence why I believe it if more beneficial to have protein, then wait a short amount of time for carbs.

In the 30-45mins post workout that your body has no carbs in it, it will not be catabolizing muscle, you have more glycogen stored in your body than you realize and it will be using that. Its just something I've found more benefical to do if you have the time/patience for it.

Haha exactly, the thing we have to remember is that the body is never purely in a anabolic or catabolic state, the balance is only tipped in the favor of one.

I'd much rather ingest proteins, let the body break them down, and then have insulin to use those amino acids in protein synth. It doesn't take long if ingested liquidly to break down and hence why I believe it if more beneficial to have protein, then wait a short amount of time for carbs.

In the 30-45mins post workout that your body has no carbs in it, it will not be catabolizing muscle, you have more glycogen stored in your body than you realize and it will be using that. Its just something I've found more benefical to do if you have the time/patience for it.
    I agree with you on the last past actually, if you have a GOOD SOLID Pre workout meal then you wont need something super fast straight away as there shoudl be some glycogen stll present. I beleive in BCAA's Intra workout as well (some people scoff at that idea but research again will prove otherwise) and i dont actually eat a solid meal until around 30 mins post workout as i will be finishing off my Intra Workout Branch Chains, so in actual fact what you and i are saying is almost similar BUT have different reasonings behind it

-Brian Whitacre

Originally Posted by Exa123 View Post
    I agree with you on the last past actually, if you have a GOOD SOLID Pre workout meal then you wont need something super fast straight away as there shoudl be some glycogen stll present. I beleive in BCAA's Intra workout as well (some people scoff at that idea but research again will prove otherwise) and i dont actually eat a solid meal until around 30 mins post workout as i will be finishing off my Intra Workout Branch Chains, so in actual fact what you and i are saying is almost similar BUT have different reasonings behind it
    Yup I don't eat a full meal till 30+mins after workout is because I ride my motorcycle to the gym ~20mins away haha. I do have my protein though right after, and I haven't used BCAA's in forever lol

ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Would like some input on this protocol.

Pre-workout: 5g EAA's
    Intra : 5g BCAA
    Immediately Post 5g EAA's
    30 min PWO - Solid meal of CHO, PRO, Low FAT

Started doing this recently and it feels great. I used to use a method espoused by Poliquin and was taking in 200g of fast CHO and 40g PRO immediately post workout and don't think that was resulting in best success.

Great Thread
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the ILLUSION of knowlegde! - Stephen Hawking

Tampa, FL
    NSCA CSCS, BS
    twitter @maxwellob

Originally Posted by ob205 View Post
    Would like some input on this protocol.

Pre-workout: 5g EAA's
    Intra : 5g BCAA
    Immediately Post 5g EAA's
    30 min PWO - Solid meal of CHO, PRO, Low FAT

Started doing this recently and it feels great. I used to use a method espoused by Poliquin and was taking in 200g of fast CHO and 40g PRO immediately post workout and don't think that was resulting in best success.

Great Thread
    yeah 200g Fast CHO is definately OVERKILL! Nice work getting rid of that, Poliquin has some good theories but sometimes he just overshoots things (like his megadosing of fish oil theory!!) In my honest opinion mate (and this varies from person to person) but what i usually do and reccomend is the following:-

Pre - Solid Pro+CHO Meal (Fats under 10g or as low as possible) --> 1.5 hours prior
    Prior Workout (30 Mins) - Preworkout drink (if prefered) - i love Quake by Scivation + some extra creatine Monohydrate (2.5g)
    Intra - 10-15g BCAA
    Immediately Post - 5g BCAA (or just finishing intra BCAA's)
    WHen you arrive home - Solid Pro+CHO Meal (Fats under 10g or as low as possible)

BCAA's are preferred over EAA's for mine. Hope that helps

-Brian Whitacre