can't see my feet (bulk) c-diddy's Avatar
    c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Did Arnold do Power Cleans?

just doing some research on power cleans and how much impact it has on a body building program. some guy at the gym said i'm not doing serious lifting if i'm not squatting (i do), deadlifting (i do), and power cleans (i don't). also curious if arnold did power cleans. i thought power cleans were more of an exercise for sports athletes.
    Last edited by c-diddy; 06-13-2007 at 10:32 AM.

MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ive never seen a pro bodybuilder in all the lifting videos i have seen power clean, i am sure a few do but its more of a power movement instead of muscle building u could say..
    MET-Rx/Pure Protein Board Rep

*Disclaimer: The thoughts and opinions of this rep are of his own and does not reflect MET-Rx/Pure Protein as a company. This user is a Bodybuilding.com board representative and is not an employee of MET-Rx/Pure Protein.*

Iron Mulisha Athlete

Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm fairly certain he recommended (and, by extension, did) Cleans and Presses, as he recommends them to beginners. I believe he also mentioned that when was training sometime early on in his career, he did not have access to an incline bench that allowed him to lay down to press, but rather, he and his lifting partner had to clean the weight up first. As for Power Cleans, I cannot say, but I would not be surprised if I learned he did or didn't do them.
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Serpens Aeon View Post
    I'm fairly certain he recommended (and, by extension, did) Cleans and Presses, as he recommends them to beginners. I believe he also mentioned that when was training sometime early on in his career, he did not have access to an incline bench that allowed him to lay down to press, but rather, he and his lifting partner had to clean the weight up first. As for Power Cleans, I cannot say, but I would not be surprised if I learned he did or didn't do them.
    He did do them, like you said, for clean and presses and to get the weight up she he could get into the starting position for the inlcine bench press...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think he also did them for back, he did recommend them, as they gave him explosive power.

can't see my feet (bulk) c-diddy's Avatar
    c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    also i was told if i can't deadlift 500lbs, i'm not serious. being only 150lbs, if i tried to deadlift 500lbs, my spine would break off and rip thru the skin of my lower back.

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by c-diddy View Post
    also i was told if i can't deadlift 500lbs, i'm not serious. being only 150lbs, if i tried to deadlift 500lbs, my spine would break off and rip thru the skin of my lower back.
    Tell him you''re just starting, what a a-hole! When I jsut started I could barely do anything, was skinny and weak as sh*t, the numbers will come in time...

DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't think that somebody with a bodybuilding goal needs to powerclean. A lot of the lift is learning a technique that doesn't carry over to the stage. I can see some carryover to the deadlift numbers for a powerlifter though, but not a bodybuilder. Power cleans are great for olympic lifters and athletes and that is why they do them.

I have no idea whether Arnold power cleaned or not. He did event half the **** you see around gyms so the fact that he learned all the olympic lifts and their assistance lifts (like power cleans) would not suprise me at all.

KowboysUp will become famous soon enough. (+50) KowboysUp will become famous soon enough. (+50) KowboysUp will become famous soon enough. (+50) KowboysUp will become famous soon enough. (+50) KowboysUp will become famous soon enough. (+50) KowboysUp will become famous soon enough. (+50) KowboysUp will become famous soon enough. (+50) KowboysUp will become famous soon enough. (+50) KowboysUp will become famous soon enough. (+50) KowboysUp will become famous soon enough. (+50) KowboysUp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think a bodybuilder has to do cleans, obviously. However, I think that the overall muscular development that can be caused by a good cleaning program can be enjoyed by atheletes, bodybuilders and whoever else does them.

You can't tell me that someone who can cean 300 for reps won't have a great muscular base, and after you've achieved the base, how you look is all about diet.

PumpingIron88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpingIron88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpingIron88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpingIron88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpingIron88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpingIron88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpingIron88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpingIron88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpingIron88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpingIron88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpingIron88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Me personally dont like to involve muscle groups I have already hit hard throughout the week used in a exercise