mrchaikel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Go to the gym 2X a day?

I have been lifting for about 5 months and have seen some good gains but occasionally hit a plateau. For the past few weeks, about once or twice a week, I will hit the gym twice a day on my days off from work. I do a shortened modified workout on the body parts I did in the morning. I notice increased soreness the next couple of days for obvious reasons. I especially do this when my morning workout is not as intense as desired (usually because of the social butterflies who want to talk in the gym more than workout.) Was curious to know what you think of this and how many others go to the gym 2 times in a day?

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    More does not equal better.
    GOMAD!

Couthos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Couthos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Couthos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Couthos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Couthos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Couthos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Couthos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Couthos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Couthos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Couthos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Couthos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It depends on what you do really. It would make sense if you went in the morning for some cardio then later on to lift your weights. Doesn't really make sense to lift weights twice
    But that's just my opinion... Don't get all BUTTHURT if you don't like that opinion.

10/10 girlfriend crew

chefwaffles will become famous soon enough. (+50) chefwaffles will become famous soon enough. (+50) chefwaffles will become famous soon enough. (+50) chefwaffles will become famous soon enough. (+50) chefwaffles will become famous soon enough. (+50) chefwaffles will become famous soon enough. (+50) chefwaffles will become famous soon enough. (+50) chefwaffles will become famous soon enough. (+50) chefwaffles will become famous soon enough. (+50) chefwaffles will become famous soon enough. (+50) chefwaffles will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mrchaikel View Post
    I have been lifting for about 5 months and have seen some good gains but occasionally hit a plateau. For the past few weeks, about once or twice a week, I will hit the gym twice a day on my days off from work. I do a shortened modified workout on the body parts I did in the morning. I notice increased soreness the next couple of days for obvious reasons. I especially do this when my morning workout is not as intense as desired (usually because of the social butterflies who want to talk in the gym more than workout.) Was curious to know what you think of this and how many others go to the gym 2 times in a day?
    I did this for a few months during the summer time last year. in the morning i would go strength based routine (<5 reps) and in the evening i would do the same bodyparts and exercises but would reduce the weight down and do 6-10 reps. i dont really recommend this as most people would burn out quickly, and only reason i was able to do it was because i was still in my noob phase so the weights i was lifting wasnt that much.
    Last edited by chefwaffles; 05-10-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Rub some funk on it watermelon_2001's Avatar
    watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IMO, you shouldn't be lifting twice in one day. I would say the only exception is if you're following a typical 4-day split (back + biceps/ chest + triceps/ legs/ delts + traps,) hitting one part in the morning and the other in the evening BUT keeping volume in each session the same as you would if only doing a single session. That would just equate to 2 shortened sessions (albeit perhaps session which were more intense.) Overdoing the volume in each would compromise your recovery, and if returning to the gym to hit a bodypart for a second time in one day, you've probably not worked it hard enough earlier...

If intending to split up a weights session and a cardio session in the same day, just make sure you're rested enough in between so as to be able to perform at your best in each, and make sure you're eating sufficiently to fuel both sessions and recovery.
    Anorexia dragged me to rock-bottom; watch me build myself back up...

My Journal; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118286631

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.

Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i've done it before where i did chest in the morning but legs in the evening, but doing the same thing twice in a day sounds a lot like working biceps monday and tuesday.
    "Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

-Rocky Balboa

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Was curious to know what you think of this and how many others go to the gym 2 times in a day?
    My feelings can be summed up accordingly...
    If I ever felt the need, I'd take a serious look at my training and figure out what's wrong.
    If I ever felt like I actually could, for example, squat heavy twice in one day, then I'd know something is seriously wrong with my training.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would only use the gym twice a day if one visit was for lifting and the other for cardio or to participate in a sport/game

fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Twice a day to weight train is too much, if you do a cardio session one time and then weight training in the evening for your second visit that would be beneficial, cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is good because you are burning into fat. If you weight train your bodyparts 2x in a day you could be burning into that muscle you are desiring to build.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Was curious to know what you think of this and how many others go to the gym 2 times in a day?
    If you are asking this question in the context of bodybuilding, I've never done this, and never will. The only people who can do this and progress from it are Pro bodybuilders.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733