scorpioxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking How much protein?

How much protein should i eat after a workout? I weigh 165

1sknnyJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1sknnyJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1sknnyJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1sknnyJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1sknnyJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1sknnyJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1sknnyJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1sknnyJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1sknnyJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1sknnyJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1sknnyJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i go for 50 grams post work out. but im a noob so what do i know.
    -Commander of the Infidel Alliance.

They say the only way to kill a lion is a rear naked choke, me personally I would just kick it in the head.
    -Bas Rutten

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward
    Whoever can not take care of himself without that law is both

Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    40-50 grams, wait an hour, then eat a real meal preferably with high protein
    The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win.
    -Roger Bannister

_ChrisL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _ChrisL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _ChrisL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _ChrisL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _ChrisL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _ChrisL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _ChrisL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _ChrisL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _ChrisL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _ChrisL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _ChrisL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I generally go with two scoops (40-45 g of protein). But my shake also includes 60g of gatorade powder and a tsp of creatine. You want to consume fast acting carbs (gatorade powder) along with your protein to help with muscle growth and the recovery process.

Truth fears no questions FlexinMike's Avatar
    FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000)
    40-50 grams right after workout
    I thought I was strong till I watched my wife fight through GBS.I could only dream to have as much strength and will power as her!

Co-owner of Flex N Style™

DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000)
    IIRC, The body can only absorb 30 to 40 grams at a time, depending on the product I'm using at the time.

So I go with anything from 20 to 40.
    Originally Posted by Lilhoose View Post
    ...wait an hour, then eat a real meal preferably with high protein
    ^^^And that
    Regards,

Duncan

Workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6716581

ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I usually workout about 6:00 pm. I'll have one scoop of whey in milk (about 35 grams of protein) and a peice of fruit with in 30 minutes post workout. Before bed, I follow up with a cup of cottage cheese. I've read that cottage cheese is a slower diagesting protein and is good to take before bed so you can supply your body protein while sleeping. (Some people also take Casein protein before bed)
    January 4th 2008 - 220lbs
    October 2008 - 170lbs

Food is for fuel, not for fun.

Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by scorpioxx View Post
    It depends. What are you overall cals?
    Genshai

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DNG View Post
    IIRC, The body can only absorb 30 to 40 grams at a time, depending on the product I'm using at the time.

So I go with anything from 20 to 40.

^^^And that

Show me a scientific study that proves that the body can only absorb 30 to 40 grams of protein at a time. You won't find one. That is an old gym myth that keeps sticking around like gum on the bottom of your shoe.

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Where do you want to take your Bodybuilding?? If you have a fleeting image of 'someday' competing...then you will restructure your question to how much protein and when?

I'm twice your age and do 60 gms whey (the body does absorb ALL the protein in this form...not right away but through out its tarvel thru the gut) before training, 10 eggs (2 yolks 10 whites) scrambled with 2 tablespoons of P Nutt butter right after. On and on and on....300+ per day for this geezer.

When you think you have had enough protein for the day...eat MORE.

Baldie

Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    45-50 grams of protein. It is better to use a powder supplement then a meal. Reason being that your body uses a lot of energy to digest food and blood is used in Absorption and Transport of Nutrients. Your muscle are full of blood after a workout busy repairing the micro tears. I would drink your protein shake after 30 mins of your workout. Be sure to drink at a gallon of water a day. As well. Also your body has a hard time absorbing more then 50 grams of protein at a time so save money and don?t make a 100 gram protein shake. Rules for building mass 1.5 grams of protein a day per lean body weight. A good workout with good form, and at least 8 hours of good sleep.

Good luck

Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gwatson101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Most Muscular View Post
    Show me a scientific study that proves that the body can only absorb 30 to 40 grams of protein at a time. You won't find one. That is an old gym myth that keeps sticking around like gum on the bottom of your shoe.

nuff said...
    one study
    jissn.com/content/5/1/10[/url]

add the http
    to it the post wont allow me to put the link in together
    Last edited by Gwatson101; 08-11-2009 at 09:44 AM.

kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Gwatson101 View Post
    I would drink your protein shake after 30 mins of your workout.
    that's not very nice of you...shouldn't you bring your own shake to the gym instead of drinking his?

Originally Posted by Baldie
    Where do you want to take your Bodybuilding?? If you have a fleeting image of 'someday' competing...then you will restructure your question to how much protein and when?
    qft

bb.com forum member #44253

Nothing in this world worth having comes easy

oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    one study

add the http
    That study validates what the previous poster stated...

"the average amount of liquid WPC (whey protein concentrate) that is absorbed may be only 15 g"

The study was being done to determine whether oral proteolytic enzyme would improve absorption, they simply used 50g in their model and no where does it suggest that it was all absorbed (even with the enzyme).
    "I only eat food in bar form. When you concentrate food, you unleash its
    awesome power, I'm told." - Homer Simpson

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    one study

add the http
    so the article says you take in 50 grams and the body only comsumes 15 grams of it? Is 15 grams enough? I don't think so.

"None of the participants were following any particular protein-rich dietary regime, muscle-toning or bodybuilding program during the study." Does this have an effect on the body's need for protein? hmmm.....

A link at the bottom of that study pointed to a study done on increased protein intake to improved weight loss

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...,f1000m,isrctn

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nuff said....

Baldie

The Rated U Superstar Ford_Power's Avatar
    Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tifflex View Post
    It depends. What are you overall cals?
    Good question to raise, Tiff.

The typical (and for all the lifters/bodybuilders I've been around as well as my own experience has proven this true) recommendation about protein intake over the course of an entire day is a minimum one gram per pound of body weight to build muscle (I know guys that go higher than that...). So what you get in the post-workout portion is somewhat dependent on what you've gotten all day long.
    "That's how winning is done. Now if you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth! But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers sayin' you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that, and that ain't you! You're better than that!" - from the movie "Rocky Balboa"

"Rome wasn't built in a day, and your body won't be either. It takes patience, hard work, and dedication." - ME.

Cbass06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    IMO, I take in about 30-40g after a workout. It depends on how much your body can digest. But I dont think there is a single study that proves that. Everyone is different.

so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I take 40-50 grams pwo, then eat a meal 1 hour after that. I don't think I am wasting any protein, because I'm hungry as hell 1 hour after that shake. That being said if I took in a 50 gram shake while sitting on my duff all day, I would be full for 2-3 hours. I listen to my body.

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just a guess but I imagine that absorption would be different for everyone based on exercise intensity and body composition in that more muscle would likely require more protein whereas less muscle wouldn't with the exception of weight loss. With weight loss higher protein would be needed as fuel instead of perhaps carbohydrates.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by kimsquit View Post
    that's not very nice of you...shouldn't you bring your own shake to the gym instead of drinking his?

qft
    If he's gonna wait 30 minutes then it's fair game.....
    David

M5eludim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) M5eludim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) M5eludim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Originally Posted by scorpioxx View Post
    30-40 should do nicely!