Eskiimo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Swimming + Lifting Weights enough?

Starting tomorrow a friend and I are going to start swimming 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We will be swimming between 2,000 to 3,000 yards per session. (Each session will be 1 hour)

On Tuesday, Thursday,and Saturday I plan on going to the gym. Should I do full body work outs those days or should I sections per day? How long should I stay at the gym? Should I do Cardio or just lift weights?

My goal is to lose about 30 pounds.

Currently I am 5'9'' 195lb's.

How many calories should I eat per day? Will this be enough to lose 30-40 pounds in a "decent" amount of time?

Should I take any supplements or protein drinks?

I swam 2 hours per day for 6 months (Very easy swimming) and lost about 20 pounds. I wasn't dieting or any of that. So I assume I would shed the pounds if I diet and go to the gym ontop of hard core swimming.

Any help/tips would be VERY appreciated.

FloridaGator is on a distinguished road. (+10) FloridaGator is on a distinguished road. (+10) FloridaGator is on a distinguished road. (+10) FloridaGator is on a distinguished road. (+10) FloridaGator is on a distinguished road. (+10) FloridaGator is on a distinguished road. (+10) FloridaGator is on a distinguished road. (+10) FloridaGator is on a distinguished road. (+10) FloridaGator is on a distinguished road. (+10) FloridaGator is on a distinguished road. (+10) FloridaGator is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dude ... I can tell you that swimming is a great exercise. I swim a lot now because my legs can't take all the running that I want (need) to do and swimming really helps with the respiratory system as well as kicking the metabolism in. I see more transform in my body after 2 weeks of swimming 3 times a week than I have in the previous 5 weeks of lifting and running.

I swim 1600m each session (~1mile) and will up that to 2000m each session after next week. When I first started, I could only swim 50m before having to stop and take a breather. I now can swim the entire 1600m non-stop.

Incredible exercise for the entire body ... not just cardio. Though I do struggle after shoulder and back day ... but it isn't that bad now that I am use to it.

Good luck!
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." ~Henry Rollins

So your saying I should indeed shed the pounds? :P

robgordon66 is not very helpful. (-500) robgordon66 is not very helpful. (-500) robgordon66 is not very helpful. (-500) robgordon66 is not very helpful. (-500) robgordon66 is not very helpful. (-500) robgordon66 is not very helpful. (-500) robgordon66 is not very helpful. (-500) robgordon66 is not very helpful. (-500) robgordon66 is not very helpful. (-500) robgordon66 is not very helpful. (-500) robgordon66 is not very helpful. (-500)
    I read somewhere else you should atleast have a mutli-vitamin, include extra protien via whey, and cut calories in you normal eating patterns to compinsate for the whey.

Just a thought though...

jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Eskiimo View Post
    Starting tomorrow a friend and I are going to start swimming 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We will be swimming between 2,000 to 3,000 yards per session. (Each session will be 1 hour)

On Tuesday, Thursday,and Saturday I plan on going to the gym. Should I do full body work outs those days or should I sections per day? How long should I stay at the gym? Should I do Cardio or just lift weights?

How many calories should I eat per day? Will this be enough to lose 30-40 pounds in a "decent" amount of time?

I swam 2 hours per day for 6 months (Very easy swimming) and lost about 20 pounds. I wasn't dieting or any of that. So I assume I would shed the pounds if I diet and go to the gym ontop of hard core swimming.

swimming is great! i would not do full body workouts, swimming will get your shoulders and chest a great workout. so isolate body parts each workout. if you stay dedicated to this man the pounds will fly off, i would say 1800-2000 calories so you have energy to keep it up. you will be burning mad calories.

as for sups, def whey after you lift and swim, maybe some glutamine to aid recovery. i like to cycle creatine myself but everyone is diff. I would take a multi too. drink green tea, or take a green tea supp, it will boost your metabolism. i has worked for me. good luck to you bro

Thanks,

I started yesterday, did a good 45 minute swim (pretty much non stop) doing a pre made workout. Did near 2,000 yards.

I plan on going swimming again today and then hitting the gym too.

Hopefully they shed, for some reason this last month ive put on a good 5 pounds and it sucks.

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You'll definitely cut body fat as long as you create a caloric deficit.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    You'll definitely cut body fat as long as you create a caloric deficit.
    Im trying to watch what I eat. Just so happens yesterday was the day my BF wanted to bring my lunch and I really wanted to see him.
    I'll be better though. I am bringing one of those "premade" salad packages for lunch everyday. There is about 400 calories in each package. So i'll eat that throughout the day, then i'll probably have a protein shake and then just dinner.

Im going to up my swimming to everyday. I really want to lose this weight.

kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Im trying to watch what I eat. Just so happens yesterday was the day my BF wanted to bring my lunch and I really wanted to see him.
    I'll be better though. I am bringing one of those "premade" salad packages for lunch everyday. There is about 400 calories in each package. So i'll eat that throughout the day, then i'll probably have a protein shake and then just dinner.

Im going to up my swimming to everyday. I really want to lose this weight.
    you should also be careful you are getting ENOUGH calories throughout the day. eating too little can hinder your fat loss results as well. i don't think a salad and protein shake is enough food for the first 2/3rds of your day. especially if the salad is just a plain salad with no protein or nutrient rich vegetables like spinach, broccoli, beans etc.
    Rep Back 1k+ ....just sayin

"When we're in the gym, we're in this indescribable euphoria zone. It's a feeling of being on, of being completely alive and aware. If you haven't been there, then it's like trying to describe color to a person who's been blind since birth. Within this haze of pleasure and pain, there's knowledge and power, self-discipline and self-reliance."

EShip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    kamjah is right. I lost about 30 lbs the last 3 months and i my calories were definitely way too low because i lost a ton of strength. but recently i started to eat a little more but still clean, started training heavier 4 days a week, and running and swimming 5 days and im looking much better and still losing weight. Just make sure and eat enough or you'll lose a lot of muscle

Its not a plain salad. But I get your point, i'll eat some more.

I swam 2,300 yards yesterday in 45 minutes. I plan on doing that and more every day.

PLZB18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What's the standard length of one lap, at say a pool at Urban Active? I've begun to swim and love it, but I can't make it more than about 2 laps without having to rest haha.
    "Next time some **** goes down like the accord window, i will be putting a 45 barrel into someones mouth in a corn field or ill just sign the title of one of my cars over to the iron horsemen and have them drive a wonderbread truck through your bay window and kill your entire family."

1 lap = 50 yards

tjcosta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

one lap

An Olympic size pool is 25 meters. Like that at the local swim club and high schools would have. 50m pools are used more for Olympic style compitions.

TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I had huge success losing weight about 2 years ago. Would swim three times per week and play rugby two days a week. Obviously the fact that I burned more calories than I consumed resulted in the weight loss but I found swimming to be a fantastic low impact exercise for weight loss. Got all the way up to around 1.5 miles in an hours session.

Ghrer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question help with swimming and weight lifting for beginners

I'm 24 years old my height is 184cm and weight 80kg, I started to weight lifting yesterday after I quit lifting 3 years ago (I was just 2 months doing weigh lifting back then so it is like nothing) anyway I want also take a swimming lessons and training as I am a terrible swimmer, is it ok to take them together I mean with weigh-lifting? No conflicts? What about the schedule which one should I give the priority to?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Ghrer View Post
    I'm 24 years old my height is 184cm and weight 80kg, I started to weight lifting yesterday after I quit lifting 3 years ago (I was just 2 months doing weigh lifting back then so it is like nothing) anyway I want also take a swimming lessons and training as I am a terrible swimmer, is it ok to take them together I mean with weigh-lifting? No conflicts? What about the schedule which one should I give the priority to?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Take a look at the thread's starting date. Negged for necro

Fabio2906 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jvaughan08 View Post
    swimming is great! i would not do full body workouts, swimming will get your shoulders and chest a great workout. so isolate body parts each workout. if you stay dedicated to this man the pounds will fly off, i would say 1800-2000 calories so you have energy to keep it up. you will be burning mad calories.

as for sups, def whey after you lift and swim, maybe some glutamine to aid recovery. i like to cycle creatine myself but everyone is diff. I would take a multi too. drink green tea, or take a green tea supp, it will boost your metabolism. i has worked for me. good luck to you bro
    Hello, sorry bothering, i`m swimming at my school club and i would like to get better. I see you talk about lifting weights at isolates parts of the body (hope i didn`t say it wrong), but i`m quite scary about doing shoulders at the gym, cause shoulders is a common injury in swimming industry. I just want to ask you some advice about lifting and swimming at the same time, i`m a swimmer so the focus is on swimming, lifting is just to help me to get better. And i would like to know if i need to rest one day or do it all week (im asking this because i swim everyday with intense training but i don`t know if with weights i can do that). sorry for the bad english. Have a good day