Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Calf Training for a Hardgainer

I've read that hardgainers or naturally skinny people shouldnt directly work their calves in a workout, but they should concentrate on coumpound lifts only...what is the reason for this?? The rest of my bodyparts seem to be growing nicely except my calves, so why is it not recommended? How do i get my calves bigger without doing the usual squats/deadlifts/benchpresses etc??

I've tried calf raises but they dont seem to make a difference...any advise??

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Direct work done for high reps (yes painful) multiple times per week.

Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brad7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Canadian Iron View Post
    Does anyone know if, for example, on a deadlift or squat, I raise my toes at the top of the movement, will this also help build my calves??

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by fl3x7 View Post
    Does anyone know if, for example, on a deadlift or squat, I raise my toes at the top of the movement, will this also help build my calves??
    Perhaps, but it's still not a good idea. For squats, focus on squatting. For deads, focus on deadlifting.

axewars is on a distinguished road. (+10) axewars is on a distinguished road. (+10) axewars is on a distinguished road. (+10) axewars is on a distinguished road. (+10) axewars is on a distinguished road. (+10) axewars is on a distinguished road. (+10) axewars is on a distinguished road. (+10) axewars is on a distinguished road. (+10) axewars is on a distinguished road. (+10) axewars is on a distinguished road. (+10) axewars is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Spot on. I consider myself a hard-gainer and the only way I ever finally got to see results in my calves was by doing this. In fact it is one of the few things I did correctly in my previous lifting life...

Perhaps, but it's still not a good idea. For squats, focus on squatting. For deads, focus on deadlifting.
    Underdog couldn't have said it better himself. have no fear....
    << Keep your eye on the avatar...it will be steadily improving.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've read that hardgainers or naturally skinny people shouldnt directly work their calves in a workout, but they should concentrate on coumpound lifts only...what is the reason for this?? The rest of my bodyparts seem to be growing nicely except my calves, so why is it not recommended? How do i get my calves bigger without doing the usual squats/deadlifts/benchpresses etc??

I've tried calf raises but they dont seem to make a difference...any advise??
    Train the MF'ers every workout day. Alternate Standing/Toe Press/Donkey with Seated for as many sets as you are doing for your other exercise.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Train the MF'ers every workout day. Alternate Standing/Toe Press/Donkey with Seated for as many sets as you are doing for your other exercise.
    Thanks, I think im gona try that from 2morrow, i work out like 4 times a week so that should provide enough stimulation for my calves to grow!

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    [arnold voice]bad idea[/arnold voice]
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

Vartuli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vartuli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vartuli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vartuli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vartuli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vartuli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vartuli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vartuli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vartuli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vartuli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vartuli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    there are some compund squats that you can do that work calves as well:

- Jump Squats (without weights or with dumbells; not recommened with heavy barbell...der!)
    - Barbell Step Ups
    - Hack Squats

Also leg press machine also assists calves development if you put your feet at the top of the leg press plate.
    Vartuli's Blog -

http://blog.bodybuilding.com/Vartuli

funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Defiant1 should be listened to as his advice sounds good. personally, i don't train them more than twice a week but i do the same thing by just doing a set of a calf exercise between each other set that day. i generally do them until i can't do more than 6 reps, takes about 5, maybe 6 sets. also i found something weird: doing multiple calf exercises in one workout is not as effective for me as doing one calf exercise to absolute exhaustion. this is merely anecdotal evidence from my personal experience but my calves aren't naturally gifted either so maybe it'll work for you.
    finally got back into the weight room today to see where I'm at a lil over a week from the injury. I got good and warm before attempting anything, but I noticed in certain lifts I had to pay extra attention to keep from crapping myself...

-tony_mid