Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by healthyChick25 View Post
    what is ironic, is that when I bartend, I notice the men tip WAY more than the women, and usually ask for very simple drinks or beer. The women, on the other hand, want all these complicated drinks, and rarely leave more than a quarter, if that. Thank goodness men drink more than women haha
    I usually get even tips from both, some women hook it up some men, but the men tip more because you're a cute girl. Pretty much the only reason, I've done it too. My ex used to be a terrible cocktail girl and she would still bankroll. I'm talking $400 a night, she was just so damn good to look at.

tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by irishjackmp View Post
    Again... another guy talking out his a**. You say they "will not leave" but they do... you obviously don't know what you are talking about. Anyone who has ever worked in a restaraunt will tell you there is incredibly high turnover among waitstaff. Usually because they take the job... realize it's not as easy as they thought it would be and move on to something else. If they "were getting paid much more than they deserve" (i.e. they knew they were getting paid good $ for easy work) they would rarely, if ever, leave... but the opposite it true. Seriously... why would tunrover be so hight for a job that had good pay with easy work? Virtually every new waiter I trained would utter some version of "this is alot harder than I thought it would be" in their first few weeks. None ever said "this was easier than I thought"

Ah... and the whole "spit in the food" argument. Sorry... never saw anyone ever do anything innapropriate with someones food.

Never been a batender but I hate that too. Bartenders (when they have a packed bar), seem to refill beers in the following order...

1) guys who tipped them really really well on their first order
    2) hot chicks
    3) their buddies who happen to be at the bar that night
    4) everyone else.

That bothers me too... just serve people in the order they came to the bar.
    I suggest you read some of the threads on thsi board b4 saying "spit in food argumetn". EVERY single waiter has threatened that ppl who don't tip get semen/spit in their food. EVERY SINGLE ONE. when you haev a dozen *******s repeatedly "threaten" you ur not going to feel sorry for any of these ****s.

Just do a search on tipping and you'll see what I'm atlkina bout.

healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tmac4real View Post
    I suggest you read some of the threads on thsi board b4 saying "spit in food argumetn". EVERY single waiter has threatened that ppl who don't tip get semen/spit in their food. EVERY SINGLE ONE. when you haev a dozen *******s repeatedly "threaten" you ur not going to feel sorry for any of these ****s.

Just do a search on tipping and you'll see what I'm atlkina bout.
    I have read the entire thread and don't remember reading anything like that. I don't understand why someone would do that... not only is it gross and disgusting and disrespectful, but we could lose our jobs in a split second over something like that. Gross.

Either quote to back yourself up here or admit you made that one up.

tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tmac4real has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SpiderSense View Post
    but I bet food prices in a restaurant in Japn are also considerably higher.

It's been broken down before:

America= Cheap food prices, so that you the customer can experience great service and tip. Not to you can be some greasy tight wad and get over on people.

Other places= Pay our high food prices whether you like the service or not.

So it sounds like American customers are really losing out
    asgain you don't seem to understand that the service is GOOD at the restaurants that pay their workers properly. So where does this like it or not come from? Other servers don't have these entitlement issues that ppl in our country have and aren't like dogs who need treats to do their JOB, which they IN FREEDOM OF CHOICE SIGNED UP FOR.

Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000) Sach is just really nice. (+1000)
    yeah, any reputable place would fire you on the spot for pulling some intentional spit in food or any type of foul play like that.

Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Jaw-Knee View Post
    I'll tip well if A) I can afford it and B) the waiter/waitress/server/bartender/whatever deserves it. ****ty service and a bad attitude warrants zero tip.
    If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to go to a restaurant.

Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Sach View Post
    yeah, any reputable place would fire you on the spot for pulling some intentional spit in food or any type of foul play like that.
    Yes, at our restaurant we dont do that. Diners are infamous for that.

I am not sore because I lift and am healthy, so waiting doesnt make me sore. However, it is not my career. People in construction obviously have it as a career, and your not smart enough to do anything else anyway. so shut up and tip.

Sponsered by Monster appleman44's Avatar
    appleman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) appleman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) appleman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) appleman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) appleman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) appleman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) appleman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) appleman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) appleman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) appleman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) appleman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Don't think I've ever tipped less than 15%... I ALMOST did tip a small amount a few weeks ago cause we had a waiter that completely ignored us for 1/2 hour, then screwed up our meals and was horrible at refilling drinks, didn't introduce himself or anything... but he realized how slow it was so gave us 1/2 price meals so I figured he deserved his tip for that atleast.

And for Irishjackmp with the bartenders.. the guys who tip big like to get their drinks first.. thats why we tip big And they will often serve people who actually make it seen that they want to order, lean in and tell them what you want before they even ask you!
    Last edited by appleman44; 08-26-2008 at 12:11 AM.
    Sept 06: 195lbs 31% bf || Sept 07: 145lbs 8% bf
    Jan 08: 169lbs 13% bf |Nov 08: 178 10% BF
    Feb 11: 185 13% BF
    Motivated again after 2 years off!

█♣█ █♣█ █♣█ █♣█ █♣█

Riceboi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riceboi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riceboi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riceboi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riceboi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riceboi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riceboi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riceboi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riceboi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riceboi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riceboi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I tip 15%-20% always. If I get bad service I still usually give at least 10%. I'm talking about a restaurant though, I never go to bars to drink.

Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've always wanted to tip someone $100 just for the fun of it.

SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000)
    asgain you don't seem to understand that the service is GOOD at the restaurants that pay their workers properly. So where does this like it or not come from? Other servers don't have these entitlement issues that ppl in our country have and aren't like dogs who need treats to do their JOB, which they IN FREEDOM OF CHOICE SIGNED UP FOR.
    Dude honestly next time you quote my post, actually read it. I broke it down nice and simple if you had trouble with that you have serious problems with reading and comprehension.

Let me break it down one more time. These are generic examples:

In America you might get a burger and fries for $5. Sweet deal if you ask me. The reason you get it so cheap is because your server is making $2.15/hr. The thing with that is that if your server is giving you good service, you're pretty much expected to leave at the very least a 15% tip. That comes out to .75 or lets just say $1 cause I would never leave a tip that jingles.

Now in Japan, you may (highly unlikely though) get that same burger and fries for $5.75 though I'd say more realistically something like $6.25 (probably more TBH) and that is regardless of how good or ****ty your service is. But in reality, you're also paying that extra .25 too. So you're automatically paying the tip and then some whether you like it or not.

What is so hard to figure about that?

Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's not hard to figure out. It's just that if you have to pay, you have to pay. If you don't have to pay, nobody should be able to force you. Freedom FTW.
    Last edited by Jaw-Knee; 08-26-2008 at 02:28 AM.
    Virtus Vera Nobilitas Est

Pure gold does not fear the test of fire.

SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's not hard to figure out. It's just that if you have to pay, you have to pay. If you don't have to pay, nobody should be able to force you.
    Nobody does force you. That's why greasy tight wads don't tip despite great service.

You don't have to say thank you if somebody holds the door open for you while you're walking into a store. Just manners and class compel some to do it anyways.

Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jaw-Knee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nobody does force you. That's why greasy tight wads don't tip despite great service.

You don't have to say thank you if somebody holds the door open for you while you're walking into a store. Just manners and class compel some to do it anyways.
    Well yeah, but if my waiter's a total and utter douchebag I shouldn't have to tip him because he "lives on tips." If he's gonna be an asshole, he deserves a taste of his own medicine, and I never eat at the establishment again.
    Virtus Vera Nobilitas Est

Pure gold does not fear the test of fire.

randomguy20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randomguy20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randomguy20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randomguy20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randomguy20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randomguy20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randomguy20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randomguy20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randomguy20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randomguy20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randomguy20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol @ this thread and all waiters... how much money u average per month? how many hours u work? if waiting has been ur hardest job, uve had it easy. maybe for a woman its considered hard... lol. btw lol @ the massive exaggeration of waitresses carrying 60+ lbs of food at once. what'd ya feeding the whole restaurant huge steaks at the same time carrying 20+ plates? lol. cry more pls. i h8 all these waiter threads crying.

healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthyChick25 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by randomguy20 View Post
    lol @ this thread and all waiters... how much money u average per month? how many hours u work? if waiting has been ur hardest job, uve had it easy. maybe for a woman its considered hard... lol. btw lol @ the massive exaggeration of waitresses carrying 60+ lbs of food at once. what'd ya feeding the whole restaurant huge steaks at the same time carrying 20+ plates? lol. cry more pls. i h8 all these waiter threads crying.
    do it for a week and then come back with that reply.If you still feel that way, then your opinion will be taken seriously. Until then, I hope you come to my resturant so I can shove your burger up your ass and still ask you if you'd like fries with that.

Don't talk about something you don't know anything about.

irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have read the entire thread and don't remember reading anything like that. I don't understand why someone would do that... not only is it gross and disgusting and disrespectful, but we could lose our jobs in a split second over something like that. Gross.

Either quote to back yourself up here or admit you made that one up.

Agreed. This whole "they'll just spit in my food anyway" BS is something cheap SOB's make up to justify not tipping. Doing something like that is not only disgusting and potentially dangerous (communicable diseases) but it is also CRIMINAL. If you get caught... management will call the cops... and you will get charged with assault.... and you should. Most kitchens are a packed madhouse.... there is no point you are ever "alone" with someones food.
    Originally Posted by Weekling View Post
    If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to go to a restaurant.
    Dude honestly next time you quote my post, actually read it. I broke it down nice and simple if you had trouble with that you have serious problems with reading and comprehension.

Let me break it down one more time. These are generic examples:

In America you might get a burger and fries for $5. Sweet deal if you ask me. The reason you get it so cheap is because your server is making $2.15/hr. The thing with that is that if your server is giving you good service, you're pretty much expected to leave at the very least a 15% tip. That comes out to .75 or lets just say $1 cause I would never leave a tip that jingles.

Now in Japan, you may (highly unlikely though) get that same burger and fries for $5.75 though I'd say more realistically something like $6.25 (probably more TBH) and that is regardless of how good or ****ty your service is. But in reality, you're also paying that extra .25 too. So you're automatically paying the tip and then some whether you like it or not.

Good breakdown.

It's not hard to figure out. It's just that if you have to pay, you have to pay. If you don't have to pay, nobody should be able to force you. Freedom FTW.
    Because you are paying someones actual salary... not giving them something "extra". I don't like the word "tip" because it implies something "over and above"... as if they were getting a salary in the first place.... you are the salary.

It's not a perfect analogy... but imagine there is a kid in the neighborhood who mows laws/shovels snow for some extra cash. You ask him how much and he says "you can decide what to pay me when I am done... but the average is about $15". After he is finished, would you tell him, "you missed trimming a spot along the driveway... therefore I am not paying you anything... besides... I really can't afford to pay you anyway". Of course not.

I think alot of people get annoyed with the idea of tipping becasue there has been an explosion of jobs recently where the workers actually do get a salary... but have started expecting tips anyway (i.e.... you walk in to an ice cream store and there is a tip jar on the counter by the register, you get your dry cleaning done and there is another "tips appriciated" jar sitting there even though it is the owner behind the counter, etc...). People get annoyed with this... and should. But don't confuse them with servers... your tip is the "salary".

Originally Posted by randomguy20 View Post
    This whole "waiting is easy stuff" always come from guys who have never actually done it. I didn't start waiting tables until my mid 20's so I went through a 'what's so tough about it" phase... until I did it. Again... I have trained plenty of new waiters... the next one who doesn't utter "man.. this is alot tougher than I thought it would be"... will be the first

As for what I made. Any average Saturday night (working at a national chain restaraunt) was about $70 in tips (after tipping bartenders/hostesses). Throw in the $2.80 I was making for an 8 hour shift and I was making $12 or so an hour. Keep in mind, that was on the best night (saturday)... plenty of $30 nights on tuesdays/wednsdays, etc...

As for the "exageration of how hard they work"... you say that because you only see what is going on in the eating area... not what goes on in the backroom. Every server is assigned a large amonunt of what is called "sidework"... sometimes it is taking trashcans so heavy with half eaten food out to the dumpster you can't even pick it up and need to drag it out. Sometimes it involves contiually taking 40-50 pound boxes of soda syrup out of the refridgerator and replacing them in the soda machine when the syrup runs out. Sometimes it involves going in to the refridgerator and bringing out giant vats of premade soup for the cooks, sometimes it involves taking huge baskets of heavy silverware out of the dishwasher (think a lage container heavy enough that you can barely lift... not the little thing in your own dishwasher) and carry it back to the backroom for sorting/wrapping, etc...

I'll say it again... if waiting was so easy (i.e. great pay for little work)... why is turnover so high? It goes against human nature to say "man... this job pays great... and I don't have to do much work... I have it made here..."

I'll never work as a waiter again so I have no self interest here (i.e. make sure you tip well)... but for those who think servers make great $$$ and do little work, they simply are wrong.
    F*ck Kidney Cancer

"The only thing that gives you strength is pain" - Higher Peaks

"I am wounded but am not slain. I will lie down to rest awhile, but will rise to fight again." - Anonymous

irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000) irishjackmp is just really nice. (+1000)
    do it for a week and then come back with that reply.If you still feel that way, then your opinion will be taken seriously. Until then, I hope you come to my resturant so I can shove your burger up your ass and still ask you if you'd like fries with that.

Agreed... when i first got the job and found out I would be done @ 10:30 each night I thought "great.... I can go out drinking with my buddies afterwards..."

When I started doing the job though, reality set in. By the time I was done at night, I stank from the food, pretty much was caked in sweat (most kitchens are saunas), and had my feet/back throbbing. I don't think there wa s a single night I was asked by friends to go out drinking after work where I didn't say "no thanks... I just want to go home, get a shower, and go to bed"
    F*ck Kidney Cancer

"The only thing that gives you strength is pain" - Higher Peaks

"I am wounded but am not slain. I will lie down to rest awhile, but will rise to fight again." - Anonymous

TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TMaG82 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    but I bet food prices in a restaurant in Japn are also considerably higher.

It's been broken down before:

America= Cheap food prices, so that you the customer can experience great service and tip. Not to you can be some greasy tight wad and get over on people.

Other places= Pay our high food prices whether you like the service or not.

So it sounds like American customers are really losing out
    Not true. Maybe in Japan where everything seems to cost more, but in Korea you can go out to dinner and eat very well for cheap. Especially if it's a Korean restaurant and not a western place. The TGI Friday's there is really expensive as is Pizza Hut ($20+ for a medium pie). But you can go to a Korean restaurant and eat well for 2 for $10-12. Beef costs roughly $5 per serving whereas the same portion of beef at a Korean restaurant in the US costs anywhere from $20-25 per serving. You can eat at a food court for $3-6 per person, etc. I ate out almost everyday when I was in Korea and never spent more then $12 a day on food. No tips on top of that.

LumpyGeek is not very helpful. (-500) LumpyGeek is not very helpful. (-500) LumpyGeek is not very helpful. (-500) LumpyGeek is not very helpful. (-500) LumpyGeek is not very helpful. (-500) LumpyGeek is not very helpful. (-500) LumpyGeek is not very helpful. (-500) LumpyGeek is not very helpful. (-500) LumpyGeek is not very helpful. (-500) LumpyGeek is not very helpful. (-500) LumpyGeek is not very helpful. (-500)
    I'm from the UK, so tbh, unless i get awesome service, i won't tip. I understand that in America (not so sure about canada) it's expected of the customer to tip... but here, no, and i don't feel guilty either. And i've always thought that if a waitress isn't earning enough money waitressing etc... get another job that pays better!

Atreyu_Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atreyu_Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atreyu_Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atreyu_Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atreyu_Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atreyu_Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atreyu_Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atreyu_Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atreyu_Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atreyu_Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atreyu_Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

ur a waitress calm down its not brain surgery, if you want to complain about low money get another job, waitresses are a dime a dozen its a job you can train a monkey to do lawl
    Live Love Burn Die

Captain Harris is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Captain Harris is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Captain Harris is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Captain Harris is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Captain Harris is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Captain Harris is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Captain Harris is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Captain Harris is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Captain Harris is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Captain Harris is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Captain Harris is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Unless the service is EXTREMELY bad, then I always tip at least 15%. If my drink is filled up every 5-10 minutes or so, then I tip much more generously.

When I only have like 3 tables or something its not that bad, but when I have like six tables that have 3 or more people at them each it starts to get pretty stressful, especially when everyone in the kitchen is mad and people demand food like crazy.

I have to admit, I dont work at a chain restaurant so I dont have to deal with corporate bs, etc. It is an easy job, even when its busy. I can see how older people could have a tough time though. You need to move very quickly when you have a lot of tables or your tips go down. I am always tired after my shifts.

Everyone here is saying its so easy and blah blah blah cry more......then why arent you doing it? Oh yea, your too much of a bitch. Get out of thread plz.
    Last edited by Weekling; 08-26-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Originally Posted by LumpyGeek View Post
    I'm from the UK, so tbh, unless i get awesome service, i won't tip. I understand that in America (not so sure about canada) it's expected of the customer to tip... but here, no, and i don't feel guilty either. And i've always thought that if a waitress isn't earning enough money waitressing etc... get another job that pays better!
    Do every restaurant here a favor and go back to the UK

Originally Posted by irishjackmp View Post
    Agreed. This whole "they'll just spit in my food anyway" BS is something cheap SOB's make up to justify not tipping. Doing something like that is not only disgusting and potentially dangerous (communicable diseases) but it is also CRIMINAL. If you get caught... management will call the cops... and you will get charged with assault.... and you should. Most kitchens are a packed madhouse.... there is no point you are ever "alone" with someones food.

Good breakdown.

Because you are paying someones actual salary... not giving them something "extra". I don't like the word "tip" because it implies something "over and above"... as if they were getting a salary in the first place.... you are the salary.

It's not a perfect analogy... but imagine there is a kid in the neighborhood who mows laws/shovels snow for some extra cash. You ask him how much and he says "you can decide what to pay me when I am done... but the average is about $15". After he is finished, would you tell him, "you missed trimming a spot along the driveway... therefore I am not paying you anything... besides... I really can't afford to pay you anyway". Of course not.

I think alot of people get annoyed with the idea of tipping becasue there has been an explosion of jobs recently where the workers actually do get a salary... but have started expecting tips anyway (i.e.... you walk in to an ice cream store and there is a tip jar on the counter by the register, you get your dry cleaning done and there is another "tips appriciated" jar sitting there even though it is the owner behind the counter, etc...). People get annoyed with this... and should. But don't confuse them with servers... your tip is the "salary".

This whole "waiting is easy stuff" always come from guys who have never actually done it. I didn't start waiting tables until my mid 20's so I went through a 'what's so tough about it" phase... until I did it. Again... I have trained plenty of new waiters... the next one who doesn't utter "man.. this is alot tougher than I thought it would be"... will be the first

As for what I made. Any average Saturday night (working at a national chain restaraunt) was about $70 in tips (after tipping bartenders/hostesses). Throw in the $2.80 I was making for an 8 hour shift and I was making $12 or so an hour. Keep in mind, that was on the best night (saturday)... plenty of $30 nights on tuesdays/wednsdays, etc...

As for the "exageration of how hard they work"... you say that because you only see what is going on in the eating area... not what goes on in the backroom. Every server is assigned a large amonunt of what is called "sidework"... sometimes it is taking trashcans so heavy with half eaten food out to the dumpster you can't even pick it up and need to drag it out. Sometimes it involves contiually taking 40-50 pound boxes of soda syrup out of the refridgerator and replacing them in the soda machine when the syrup runs out. Sometimes it involves going in to the refridgerator and bringing out giant vats of premade soup for the cooks, sometimes it involves taking huge baskets of heavy silverware out of the dishwasher (think a lage container heavy enough that you can barely lift... not the little thing in your own dishwasher) and carry it back to the backroom for sorting/wrapping, etc...

I'll say it again... if waiting was so easy (i.e. great pay for little work)... why is turnover so high? It goes against human nature to say "man... this job pays great... and I don't have to do much work... I have it made here..."

I'll never work as a waiter again so I have no self interest here (i.e. make sure you tip well)... but for those who think servers make great $$$ and do little work, they simply are wrong.
    win

Sport Nutritionist :) WannaBbig!'s Avatar
    WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Waiting is very hard work, I've done it myself many times so I always tip after a meal.

It's not common enough in the UK though which I find irritating.
    "This game, this iron warfare... S**t, it's all about progress and conquest. Bettering yourself, besting the weights, evolving at a constant, regular pace toward your ideal physique." - Animalpak.com

Fail to Plan...then Plan to Fail.

Dialene 4 review: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=95389043#post95389043

tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    man, you guys need to hook up with better kitchens. When I was waiting, I was taking home like $250-300 a night. Up scale steak houses with monster wine lists. Alcohol sales is where you get the hi check averages.

People are going to tip what they tip. Some are cheap some are generous. Most will tip 15-18%. My biggest problem is customers who are rude to wait staff. Seriously... why would you Fuc* with some one handeling your food?

The worst is when Im introducing myself and im like "hey how are you all doing" or something like that and they just go "ok cokes all around please and more bread".

Like seriously, im a person. And then the same people dont tip anything. Like its ok if you treat me like crap as long as you tip i dont mind.

And by the way, tampering with food happens a lot less than you think it does. Most waiters dont wanna lose their jobs, and rarely are they left alone with food in a crowded kitchen. Like I said before, I dont even carry the entrees out, so its impossible for me. I could jizz in someones salad or something but I would never be able to live with that.

I read those and they are threads just like this one, dumb people who don't know how the system works and are bitching about it. I see no threatening.

I dont get it. If waiters were paid a regular salary, the food would be more expensive and in the US at least the service would suck major ass because they would still be getting paid the same no matter what.

Would you rather have that, or have a person that performs good service all the time because he/she needs a good tip, and the customer gets cheaper food.

Yea americans are really getting screwed over.

By the way, for most restaurants, waiting is a dead end job. We never get raises or anything, and because the economy sucks we are making less money now. And since most of america consists of fat dumb people, we have to deal with their **** and then get stiffed and have to pay for serving them.

Most people tip normally, but to the people who dont....educate yourself on the system before you go out to eat. either that or dont go to the same restaurant because believe me im serving you last.