TysonH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TysonH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TysonH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Times per week..3, 4, or 5?

Ok, My goal is to gain mass. I currently am doing a 3 day split to gain mass. I have a pass to a local gym, but am curious if I worked our 4 or 5 days a week, would I gain more? I feel that on the days I don't lift, that pass is going to waste. I know more is not better. My 3 day split builds on every muscle: working on the legs, chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps..etc. and it's mainly compound movements. I just don't understand how some guys can lift everyday. Thanks all...
    ~Tyson~

articoli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TysonH View Post
    Ok, My goal is to gain mass. I currently am doing a 3 day split to gain mass. I have a pass to a local gym, but am curious if I worked our 4 or 5 days a week, would I gain more? I feel that on the days I don't lift, that pass is going to waste. I know more is not better. My 3 day split builds on every muscle: working on the legs, chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps..etc. and it's mainly compound movements. I just don't understand how some guys can lift everyday. Thanks all...
    IMHO training that many days per week will lead to over training. Remember, growth takes place during the rest period. I used to work out 5-7 days per week (once went 14 straight days without taking a day off). It got so my lifts actually went down. Many, including me, make gains lifting only once or twice per week. I currently go to the gym only once every 5-6 days and keep making gains. Concentrate on heavy compound movements, don't spend hours in the gym and don't worry about taking 3-4 days off between workouts. Again, IMHO. Everything you read in these forums is subjective.

Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Volume and frequency will vary for everyone. Personally, I tend to do well training with low to moderate volume (10-15 sets total usually) and train in 4 week blocks. Weeks 1-3 are 4 times a week with week 4 being my deload week since by then I'm beginning to overreach (short-term overtraining causing a sort of sling-shot effect in adaptation). Experiment but take into account your level of experience and general athletic capability.
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty

Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by articoli View Post
    IMHO training that many days per week will lead to over training.
    Overtraining isn't bad per se if handled appropriately. Most people don't actually get themselves into overtraining territory, as that is a condition brought about by chronic overreaching in the range of months. If one deloads appropriately it tends to spur gains in strength and muscle mass on. Now, how to do this most effectively is once again reliant upon personal variables, but it tends to procure a similar effect upon most trainees I think provided it is executed reasonably well.
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty

TysonH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TysonH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TysonH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Gains?

Ok, so let me ask everyone this...Do you think the number of days a week you work out affect your gains? Granted you put all that you can into your workout and worked on compound movements..
    ~Tyson~

coomo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coomo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coomo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coomo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coomo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coomo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coomo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coomo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coomo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coomo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) coomo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by TysonH View Post
    Ok, so let me ask everyone this...Do you think the number of days a week you work out affect your gains? Granted you put all that you can into your workout and worked on compound movements..
    if your training as hard as you can on basic heavy movements and not progressing, more is NOT the answer.its highly probable that you are not recovering from the previous workout.therefore cut back.not everyone recovers at the same rate,other variables are to be considered as well,work, and general life stuff,can hinder your recovery.

Will2k84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Will2k84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Will2k84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Will2k84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Will2k84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Will2k84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Will2k84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Will2k84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Will2k84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    People respond differently so its worth experimenting. Personally my 3 day split is perfect for me coz anymore and i wouldnt be able to recover in time.

Im always sore for a good few days after.