CLS63AMG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Please rate my squats technique (Youtube video)!

Title says it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKiqvH2lBn8

I am wondering whether I am going deep enough or not. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!
    Last edited by CLS63AMG; 06-06-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Link fixed

LoveThePain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoveThePain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoveThePain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoveThePain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoveThePain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoveThePain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    id say try and go deeper - break parallel. also why did you step so far back? if you couldnt make it back up the squat rack might not catch the weight. you might be leaning a bit too far forward also

snoopy1505 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    form is not that great way to much back is being used try and keep head up
    My body is like breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I don't think about it, I just have it

shiner_man is on a distinguished road. (+10) shiner_man is on a distinguished road. (+10) shiner_man is on a distinguished road. (+10) shiner_man is on a distinguished road. (+10) shiner_man is on a distinguished road. (+10) shiner_man is on a distinguished road. (+10) shiner_man is on a distinguished road. (+10) shiner_man is on a distinguished road. (+10) shiner_man is on a distinguished road. (+10) shiner_man is on a distinguished road. (+10) shiner_man is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your shoulders are coming down faster than your butt. You need to focus on keeping your back as upright as possible.
    Current Cut Stack:

EC
    IDS Multi-Pro Whey Isolate
    GNC MegaMen Sport Multi-vitamin
    Fish Body Oil Pills
    Green Magnitude

Egg whites, chicken, fish, oatmeal, broccoli and brown rice.

thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It looks like you've got a ton of forward lean. Try tensing/flexing your abs/lower back before a rep and see if it's easier to keep your torso more upright. You also need to come down a few more inches imo. When people say "parallel" they mean your hips, not the tops of your quads.
    Current Supplements:
    ON 100% Whey: Extreme Chocolate
    GNC P(ricetag)ro Performance Creatine Monohydrate
    GNC Fish Body Oils 1000mg (deodorized)
    Universal Animal Pak
    Universal Animal Cuts
    Universal Animal Stak
    Lots of Tuna in Spring Water

Still small, just not as strong as I used to be.

TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGr8S1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Focus on sitting back, box squats can help you do that.

Seraphim725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seraphim725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seraphim725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seraphim725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seraphim725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seraphim725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seraphim725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seraphim725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seraphim725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seraphim725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seraphim725 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CLS63AMG View Post
    Title says it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKiqvH2lBn8

Thank you!
    Dude, you gotta quit using your back so much. Practice this by trying to look up at the ceiling as you go down for your rep. Also, man that squat rack is there for a reason! Stay inside man, if you have to bail out, you are at risk of the weight not catching on the rack...

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Seraphim725 View Post
    trying to look up at the ceiling as you go down for your rep.
    Hyperextending the neck under a load is asking for an injury.

OP, you have the barbell in the high bar position there, up on your traps? It looks as if you are sitting back into it as if in a low bar squat but with the bar higher on your traps...
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000)
    Form doesn't look too bad. You're a bit high on some of the reps I think, but it's hard to see given the camera tilt. You would get better hip drive if you looked down more and used the low bar position.

Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Forward lean is fine, but not with so much forward knee motion in the bottom 1/3 of the movement. Also make sure you're using a low bar position (bar on rear delts instead of high on the traps), I couldn't tell from the video. The bar should always be over the middle of your foot. If you'd rather be doing high bar/front squats, your back should be much closer to vertical.

bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredelts is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    like it was stated before, the bars are meant to catch the weight if you cant hold it anymore, dont step so far back, its dangerous....and the forward lean could be less, picture yourself sitting in a make believe chair, and your ass gets in first, not your back...just keep practicing, i used to practice with body squats just to get the form correct before i added weight, after that it becomes natural
    VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS " Courage Grows Strong At the Wound"

I wanna be freaky big at 6'5''

ACE certified PT

buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the weight is coming too far forward. find a video with good form and copy it.

IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Title says it all:

Thank you!
    Just to reiterate what others have said:

- Go a little deeper
    - Watch Squat Rx#1:

You should have forward lean regardless of what anyone tells you, but you have too much. You're trying to good morning the weight up instead of squat it.

Fix these errors, keep up the effort and you'll be squatting big weight in no time.

Okay, now I know what to work on.

Going deeper is no problem, I simply reduce the weight until the technique is fine.

I am not sure about the position of the bar. I though it was fine since I feel very comfortable with the current one. Anyone know some videos/pics which describe the proper position in detail?

Forward lean seems to be the biggest problem. I have trouble keeping my back upright otherwise I would just fall behind. no idea what to do about this.

Oh, and you are right about the rack......Sometimes I am just to focused on the squat and forget about security

Thanks so far

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Forward lean seems to be the biggest problem. I have trouble keeping my back upright otherwise I would just fall behind. no idea what to do about this.
    the squat rx vids should help you out, but basically its prolly due to lack of flexibility.

samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with Kik.

You tend to lean forward, which is a good thing as far as squat strength technique goes, but since the bar is placed high on your traps and not on your posterior delts (so that the bar will be directly over the middle of your foot), that's going to cause you to almost topple over forward. It'll place a lot of stress on your knees with heavier weights. Moreover, a forward lean in a high bar squat will make it very hard to hit parallel, because your knees will go over your toes too much and limit your range of motion.

The solution?

Place the bar as such:

http://stronglifts.com/images/squat/...-placement.jpg

With this style, which will allow you to use more strength, leaning forward is natural and necessary. Always look DOWN and not up, and try your best to drive with your hips out of the bottom. The best way to do this is to pretend someone has their hand on your ass and that you need to move it directly up for a few inches before you stand up out of the squat with the rest of your body.

Also, lose the gloves. And put your thumbs on top of the bar. If the bar feels like it's going to fall, tighten up the hell out of your upper back. Pinch your shoulder blades together and keep your elbows up.

Read this article when you have the time:

http://stronglifts.com/correct-bar-placement-on-squats/
    Last edited by STFUandDeadlift; 06-06-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    USAF

againstall0dds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) againstall0dds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) againstall0dds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) againstall0dds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) againstall0dds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) againstall0dds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) againstall0dds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) againstall0dds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) againstall0dds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) againstall0dds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) againstall0dds is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    -wider stance
    -push from your heels

first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If I saw you doing them in the morning I would say good morning to you.

Thanks so far, I have tried a (much) wider stance, the low bar position and pushing with the heels. I am still leaning forward, but I feel that a lot of more work is done by my hips rather than my lower back.

I am gonna post another video in a time, when I think I have improved my technique.

For now I am gonna take a deadlift video tomorrow and post it next week.

Regards

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks so far, I have tried a (much) wider stance, the low bar position and pushing with the heels. I am still leaning forward, but I feel that a lot of more work is done by my hips rather than my lower back.
    Expect to have a back angle of about 45 degrees with the low bar squat.

And feeling it in your hips is a good things.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

Dorian: Best Mr. O ever SSK1903's Avatar
    SSK1903 is just really nice. (+1000) SSK1903 is just really nice. (+1000) SSK1903 is just really nice. (+1000) SSK1903 is just really nice. (+1000) SSK1903 is just really nice. (+1000) SSK1903 is just really nice. (+1000) SSK1903 is just really nice. (+1000) SSK1903 is just really nice. (+1000) SSK1903 is just really nice. (+1000) SSK1903 is just really nice. (+1000) SSK1903 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Are you training for leg size?

If yes, ignore all advice on sitting back.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112301641&page=3

"Training is 100%. Nutrition is 100%. Recovery is 100%." - Dorian Yates