JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000)

POTS strength training

Hey guys, i'm currently going through a program called POTS exercise program.
    https://www.dysautonomiainternationa...se_Program.pdf
    I'm in month 3 and I've been skipping the strength training regime because of life stuff. I'm finally adding it back in and I want to alter the twice a week strength program to a three day split which I would do after the cardio section. I'm thinking of a Upper/Lower/Full body split, but was looking for suggestions.
    I used to lift heavy from 2012 to 2017 but stopped for health reasons(stomach issues preventing me from getting anywhere close to my weight goals, which regressed during COVID, so now I can actually eat.)
    Once I'm done with the POTS program in six months, i'm going to move to a 4 fay split, focusing on strength and only do cardio twice a week(maybe three times if I feel like it)

So far I was thinking this - https://muscleevo.net/upper-lower-full-body/
    I'll probably make some modifications, like adding some ATG exercises and switching out leg presses as my knees hate them, but that's the one I'm looking at.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Instead of further modifying a program you already aren't following as written, maybe just switch to a different program that matches your goals?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000) JalexM is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Instead of further modifying a program you already aren't following as written, maybe just switch to a different program that matches your goals?
    Well, I need to finish the POTS program to help with my POTS(Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) but I figured switching out the strength portion with another portion would work fine.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JalexM View Post
    Well, I need to finish the POTS program to help with my POTS(Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) but I figured switching out the strength portion with another portion would work fine.
    Sorry, didn't realize POTS was a medical condition and I don't usually click links. What did your doctor say you should do in terms of strength training? If they recommended this program, I wouldn't have assumed that switching out the strength portion was OK unless your medical professional gave the all clear.

I'm not aware of any doctors who post here regularly, so the advice you're most likely to get is to follow your doctor's recommendations. We can't be responsible for recommending programming that jeopardizes your health.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If a program was recommended by a doctor... and you aren't following it... that's not ideal. "Life stuff" getting in the way of your health sounds really... not ideal and I would highly suggest NOT doing that. Prioritize as best you can.

As for programming in general, it sounds like you need a more flexible routine. Full-body training or upper/lower training is the best for this IMO because even if you miss a few days here and there, the muscles are still getting stimulated. Given your condition, I would argue a full-body routine with a focus on GPP, mobility, and health would be far superior to just a typical gym rat training program.

As for knee pain... I can't recommend box squats enough for the vast majority of athletes with knee pain. If an athlete can bodyweight squat, my next step is to get them to goblet squat to a box.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Sorry, didn't realize POTS was a medical condition and I don't usually click links. What did your doctor say you should do in terms of strength training? If they recommended this program, I wouldn't have assumed that switching out the strength portion was OK unless your medical professional gave the all clear.

I'm not aware of any doctors who post here regularly, so the advice you're most likely to get is to follow your doctor's recommendations. We can't be responsible for recommending programming that jeopardizes your health.
    The strength section is just a recommendation since my POTS isn't dire and I started it to see if it helped other issues I had(idiopathic hypersomia). She basically gave me free reign to do whatever with the strength section.

Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    If a program was recommended by a doctor... and you aren't following it... that's not ideal. "Life stuff" getting in the way of your health sounds really... not ideal and I would highly suggest NOT doing that. Prioritize as best you can.

As for programming in general, it sounds like you need a more flexible routine. Full-body training or upper/lower training is the best for this IMO because even if you miss a few days here and there, the muscles are still getting stimulated. Given your condition, I would argue a full-body routine with a focus on GPP, mobility, and health would be far superior to just a typical gym rat training program.

As for knee pain... I can't recommend box squats enough for the vast majority of athletes with knee pain. If an athlete can bodyweight squat, my next step is to get them to goblet squat to a box.
    Thanks for the advice!

The life stuff was me basically being homeless thanks to the SAG and writer strike's, still in a bad situation but I'm managing it a lot better now.
    The program I'm following is based on my doctor's recommendation but there isn't a dire need to follow it. She basically gave me free reign to do whatever with the strength section. But I want to finish it out because of how much Cardio it has. Back when I was lifting heavy, endurance and cardio were my weakest point. Even though I feel like it's hasn't helped much of anything until, I started the strength program last week and I noticed my rest periods are significantly shorter than when I used to lift, and I was breathing way easier than before, so there was massive improvement in that.
    For the knee stuff it's strange, i'm fine rowing for 50 mins going in deep, but leg press just ****s them. Although genetically I think I just have crappy knees. I seem to be able to squat normally for the most part(I do get knee popping from time to time), maybe it's because I'm doing the lifting after rowing. I'll look into replacing that with box squats.

So, i'll still to the three day plan I have above(since it's upper/lower) and maybe switch out some days of Knees over toes training(knee flexibility) and switch out leg press for Box Squats.
    Last edited by JalexM; 05-21-2024 at 08:00 PM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Was there an actual question anywhere in this thread?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Was there an actual question anywhere in this thread?
    I'm thinking of a Upper/Lower/Full body split, but was looking for suggestions
    Only if you can read

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As much as I like both upper/lower and full body, I probably wouldn't put them together. Unless other reasoning exists why one can't, i'd set up my week like this:

For full body i'd go mon/wed/fri lifting, 1 hour cardio on non-lifting other days.
    For upper/lower i'd go mon-upper, tues-lower, thu-upper, fri-lower, 1 hour cardio on non-lifting days.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Only if you can read
    Actually I can, it sounded like - which you confirmed - you were going to do exactly what you planned to do regardless of what suggestions you're given.

There's nothing wrong with doing whatever you want especially when you believe you have reasons for doing so, but there's no point posting for suggestions when all you want is validation.

So, i'll stick to the three day plan I have above
    (corrected your wording for you so it'd make sense to readers)

Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    As much as I like both upper/lower and full body, I probably wouldn't put them together. Unless other reasoning exists why one can't, i'd set up my week like this:

For full body i'd go mon/wed/fri lifting, 1 hour cardio on non-lifting other days.
    For upper/lower i'd go mon-upper, tues-lower, thu-upper, fri-lower, 1 hour cardio on non-lifting days.
    Thanks for the suggestion. With two full body suggestions, I might change it to that. I like the idea of working out a body part more than once a week which was why I was thinking upper/lower.
    I might save the upper/lower until after the cardio program is done and go with full body three times a day.
    I'm guessing you'd suggest the full body routine in your sig?
    With the dips, i'm guessing you would start with unweighted and move up to weighted and for the set amount?

(corrected your wording for you so it'd make sense to readers)
    Nice moving goal post.

Actually I can, it sounded like - which you confirmed - you were going to do exactly what you planned to do regardless of what suggestions you're given.

There's nothing wrong with doing whatever you want especially when you believe you have reasons for doing so, but there's no point posting for suggestions when all you want is validation.
    Let me spell it out for you since your reading comprehension isn't that good.
    I posted asking for a 3-day split and stated what kind of workouts I was thinking about.
    Other members kindly offered suggestions, with myself saying, I'll change the last day into a more mobility-focused day and change one of the exercises in the lower day based on those suggestions, which you conveniently left out of your quote.
    So no ****, I'm looking for validation on my workout; that's how forums work, and specifically, this forum 'Workout Programs - What workout is best for your goal?' works.
    I do my research and find something I'm not 100% sure on, then I post looking to get validation for that idea, and if I don't get that validation, then I alter my workout based on people's suggestions, like I already did above.
    I haven't posted on this site in 8 years, and I already have someone (you) up my ass.
    Go Away.

Thanks for the suggestion. With two full body suggestions, I might change it to that. I like the idea of working out a body part more than once a week which was why I was thinking upper/lower.
    I might save the upper/lower until after the cardio program is done and go with full body three times a day.
    With the dips, i'm guessing you would start with unweighted and move up to weighted and for the set amount?

Nice moving goal post.

Let me spell it out for you since your reading comprehension isn't that good.
    I posted asking for a 3-day split and stated what kind of workouts I was thinking about.
    Other members kindly offered suggestions, with myself saying, I'll change the last day into a more mobility-focused day and change one of the exercises in the lower day based on those suggestions, which you conveniently left out of your quote.
    So no ****, I'm looking for validation on my workout; that's how forums work, and specifically, this forum 'Workout Programs - What workout is best for your goal?' works.
    I do my research and find something I'm not 100% sure on, then I post looking to get validation for that idea, and if I don't get that validation, then I alter my workout based on people's suggestions, like I already did above.
    I haven't posted on this site in 8 years, and I already have someone (you) up my ass.
    Go Away.
    Sounds good, good luck!

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In one's beginnings, I think full body is beneficial because the body is worked and recovers at the same time, as a unit - as it was meant to be. And, exposing as much of it to good hard sets multiple times a week is a good call - the extra volume you get from upper/lowers isn't yet as necessary at the start because most anything done will spark development at that stage. As for the exercises I used in my first routine, I started out with the lowest resistance on them and gradually worked my way up as I got stronger and better able to handle more weight. It also helps because it allows you to develop your efficiency at a movement, which will become more important later on when loads get more challenging. No shame in starting at the bottom, I think it's an intelligent way to train.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261