darkghostpanda is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Any experiences of using a weighted vest while having scoliosis?

Hello everyone! I wanted to ask if someone here uses a weighted vest and has scoliosis and if they have any advice on the topic or if someone knows if using it would be harmful since it compresses the spine

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don't but what exercises do you intend to do with the weighted vest? There aren't really any movements where you should incorporate a weighted vest before you are proficient with body weight only, and there may be other ways to add weight that are easier or cheaper, such as a dip belt.

If you're considering a weighted vest for jogging or running, I would add weight slowly or skip altogether to avoid damaging your joints. A better use is hiking/rucking but still don't go crazy right away, assuming the scoliosis thing isn't a deal breaker. I don't really know.

Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000)
    That sounds like a very bad ideal.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    I don't but what exercises do you intend to do with the weighted vest? There aren't really any movements where you should incorporate a weighted vest before you are proficient with body weight only, and there may be other ways to add weight that are easier or cheaper, such as a dip belt.

If you're considering a weighted vest for jogging or running, I would add weight slowly or skip altogether to avoid damaging your joints. A better use is hiking/rucking but still don't go crazy right away, assuming the scoliosis thing isn't a deal breaker. I don't really know.
    Well my main idea was to use it for push ups, pull ups, chin ups... but you're right, the dip belt might be the better option out of the two

Originally Posted by Murser View Post
    That sounds like a very bad ideal.
    Can you please elaborate on why?

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by darkghostpanda View Post
    Well my main idea was to use it for push ups, pull ups, chin ups... but you're right, the dip belt might be the better option out of the two
    Again, I don't know anything about scoliosis, but I'd go dip belt for pull ups, chin ups, and weighted dips. As far as push ups go, I'd start with elevating your feet to make them more challenging. Changing the position of your hands, incorporating bands, and using push up bars/handles are other ways to make them harder. There are a lot of ways to vary push ups without buying an expensive vest. Once you get tired of varying your push ups, I'd lean towards doing proper bench presses over push ups with a weight vest because you just can't add much weight to a vest. And even if you figure out how to add more weight to your body, getting into position becomes a challenge. If you were using the vest for rucking as well, then sure, use it for push ups too, but I wouldn't get one just for push ups.

Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by darkghostpanda View Post
    Can you please elaborate on why?
    A weighted vest puts the majority of the weight on your shoulders, and therefore compresses your spine. Your spine is already laterally curved, and extra weight on it would force it further out of place. It would be like pushing down a spring that is bent out of shape.

Originally Posted by Murser View Post
    A weighted vest puts the majority of the weight on your shoulders, and therefore compresses your spine. Your spine is already laterally curved, and extra weight on it would force it further out of place. It would be like pushing down a spring that is bent out of shape.
    Seems like a dip belt would be a safer option.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My own 2 cents is that you should really consult a doctor or physical therapist about what movements are safe to load your spine on.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    As a general pediatrician, admittedly not an orthopedic doctor, I don't think you actually need to worry about safety at all assuming you have no pain and you have been diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis. You can check with your orthopedist for sure if you have one.

Murser, it's actually extremely difficult to move the spine at all, even intra-operatively. To move it to fix scoliosis during surgery takes a tremendous amount of strength/force. Very unlikely any extra weight on the back will do anything.

Lamar Gant had significant scoliosis and he squatted 595 and deadlifted >600 pounds in the 132 pound weight class, I believe. https://www.hudsonvalleyscoliosis.co...is/lamar-gant/
    My 100% free website: healthierwithscience.com
    My YouTube channel: youtube.com/@benjaminlevinsonmd17