bzysoo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fierce 5 incline bench press instead of flat

im doing fierce 5 for 1 month , and im not complete beginner, my squat is 100 kg . I was doing dips before but i injured my sternum , so now when i try to attempt for 1 dips im having sternum pain for atleast 3 days. anyway the question is i dont want to do flat bench, i practice my form more then 3 months but still cant progress on it. my bench stalled at 60,62 kg. Im gaining 1 kg per week , im making progress on my other lifts but not on the bench, and i hate flat bench press, its just dosent feel right excersise for me , can i do incline bench instead of flat ?

I dont want to change incline for over head press bacause i love ohp, its my favorite excersise.

tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sure

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    if you were practicing your form and couldn't progress for 3 months you were doing something terribly wrong which goes beyond the scope of just bench press. what makes you think the same chit isn't going to happen on incline?

do what you will, but incline isn't really a viable substitution for flat bench in the context of this program.. if you don't like bench and don't want to do it then don't do it. but you probably don't like it because you haven't made progress on it and don't know how to do it properly just sayin.

Originally Posted by sooby View Post
    if you were practicing your form and couldn't progress for 3 months you were doing something terribly wrong which goes beyond the scope of just bench press. what makes you think the same chit isn't going to happen on incline?

do what you will, but incline isn't really a viable substitution for flat bench in the context of this program.. if you don't like bench and don't want to do it then don't do it. but you probably don't like it because you haven't made progress on it and don't know how to do it properly just sayin.
    everyone saying the same thing but im gaining weight per week , and im using leg drive, retracting scapula medium grip on bench still no progress. still cannot make progress . And i dont like it anymore , its just drops my motivation .
    Incline bench looks good thought because i love overhead press, its looks similar to it

I check on the posts for incline bench on fierce 5 and davis (the creatior of the program) says its okay. i can post the link if you want.

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bzysoo1 View Post
    everyone saying the same thing but im gaining weight per week , and im using leg drive, retracting scapula medium grip on bench still no progress. still cannot make progress . And i dont like it anymore , its just drops my motivation .
    Incline bench looks good thought because i love overhead press, its looks similar to it

I check on the posts for incline bench on fierce 5 and davis (the creatior of the program) says its okay. i can post the link if you want.
    have you reset when you stalled? have you posted a form video?

have you reset when you stalled? have you posted a form video?
    yes more then 3 times.
    yes, ppl told me my form was ok just eat more, and i did but didnt work.
    I really want to give it a try to incline press

yes more then 3 times.
    yes, ppl told me my form was ok just eat more, and i did but didnt work.
    I really want to give it a try to incline press
    then do it, nobody is stopping you and see how it goes

maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Giving up when something gets tough is no way to go through life. How much do you weigh.

Bench is one of those lifts that take practice.
    What's your warm up look like. Make sure you are doing enough but not so much is wearing you out. Another thing may be some light sets in your ohp day. 3x10 at 35kg. Make sure to focus on form. This is not supposed to add to your fatigue.

Originally Posted by maddog352002 View Post
    Giving up when something gets tough is no way to go through life. How much do you weigh.

Bench is one of those lifts that take practice.
    What's your warm up look like. Make sure you are doing enough but not so much is wearing you out. Another thing may be some light sets in your ohp day. 3x10 at 35kg. Make sure to focus on form. This is not supposed to add to your fatigue.
    my warmup sets pretty good i weight 175 lbs.
    everyone keep saying same things but really i practice form for months and months with light weight i hate it now.
    I dont think the problem is ohp, the reason i pick this program was seperating days with ohp and bench press, and i cant keep up the form if i go more than 5 rep on ohp. otherwise i could just run allpros, but i dont like high rep for ohp.
    Last edited by bzysoo1; 08-17-2018 at 05:21 AM.

n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sternum pain during dips is because you are letting your chest fall forward and not keeping it high. Maintain thoracic extension! Lift your ribcage upward and hold it there when you are doing the set.

Originally Posted by n64bomb View Post
    Sternum pain during dips is because you are letting your chest fall forward and not keeping it high. Maintain thoracic extension! Lift your ribcage upward and hold it there when you are doing the set.
    i said i injured my sternum .
    i cant even do 1 dips if i try usually im having so much pain on my sternum for days. nothing bad about my form, its my injury causing

n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Also, keep your shoulders externally rotated. Screw your hands into the bar and pull your shoulders back!

"Your pecs are responsible for stabilizing your shoulders into an externally rotated position. Because the dip requires a high level of stability from you shoulders, your pecs have to work extra hard to keep your shoulders locked into a stable, externally rotated position. If your shoulders roll forward or shrug, your pecs will pull off axis, which pulls the sternum apart--the reason why some people experience intense pain in the sternum when they dip." -- Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett

ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottawatim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you did a search and found that Davis says it's ok to do, what are you looking for here? If you want to change it up, do it. I do the same thing. I'm no expert, just a fat guy trying to get in shape.

Also, keep your shoulders externally rotated. Screw your hands into the bar and pull your shoulders back!

"Your pecs are responsible for stabilizing your shoulders into an externally rotated position. Because the dip requires a high level of stability from you shoulders, your pecs have to work extra hard to keep your shoulders locked into a stable, externally rotated position. If your shoulders roll forward or shrug, your pecs will pull off axis, which pulls the sternum apart--the reason why some people experience intense pain in the sternum when they dip." -- Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett
    do you even read what i write,
    yes i was having slight sternum pain when doing dips but when started doing more dips i get less pain but some day i accediently injured my sternum, i lose control and go too deep on dips and i heard a popping on my sternum, even if i dont do dips anymore but if i do something similar with my arms , pushdown when getting up on the floor etc , im having this pain for days .

do you even read what i write,
    yes i was having slight sternum pain when doing dips but when started doing more dips i get less pain but some day i accediently injured my sternum, i lose control and go too deep on dips and i heard a popping on my sternum, even if i dont do dips anymore but if i do something similar with my arms , pushdown when getting up on the floor etc , im having this pain for days .
    I understand you hurt your sternum. How about getting it healed up, and then after that you can lift on it using correct form. My recommendations still stand. Sounds like your might have not been using full range of motion normally, and then tried full range of motion once and got hurt. Try to train in full range of motion in the future when you start back up. Get healed, then start low and slow, with full range of motion.

I understand you hurt your sternum. How about getting it healed up, and then after that you can lift on it using correct form. My recommendations still stand. Sounds like your might have not been using full range of motion normally, and then tried full range of motion once and got hurt. Try to train in full range of motion in the future when you start back up. Get healed, then start low and slow, with full range of motion.
    so how can i make my sternum heal ?
    its been 3 months i think since i injured it but stil didnt healed.
    Usually i have this pain everyday but its little not a problem for me , but if i try to do somethink like dips or l sits, i mean pushing down my body the pain comes back .
    but i dont feel pain on pressing movements like ohp or bench pres

what about changing my workout program to allpros ?
    https ://foru m. bodybuilding. com/showthread.php?p=1376160513#post1376160513

the creatior of the program make an updated 1 year version of the program. instead of medium ,light days , everyday is heavy day.
    I didnt see that before , it looks better for bulking .

I know program hopping not good but maybe i can break my bench plateu by adding reps instead of weight ? and i wont need to change to incline.

what about changing my workout program to allpros ?
    https ://foru m. bodybuilding. com/showthread.php?p=1376160513#post1376160513

the creatior of the program make an updated 1 year version of the program. instead of medium ,light days , everyday is heavy day.
    I didnt see that before , it looks better for bulking .

I know program hopping not good but maybe i can break my bench plateu by adding reps instead of weight ? and i wont need to change to incline.
    but you just said you don't enjoy or like to do bench at all. What's the point in continuing a lift if in the end you are just going to resent doing it every time. And you literally just said you wanted to do Incline?

Which is it, you don't want to do bench because you don't like it? You don't want to do bench because you keep stalling or you don't like bench because you are stalling? Your reasoning is contradictory.

but you just said you don't enjoy or like to do bench at all. What's the point in continuing a lift if in the end you are just going to resent doing it every time. And you literally just said you wanted to do Incline?

Which is it, you don't want to do bench because you don't like it? You don't want to do bench because you keep stalling or you don't like bench because you are stalling? Your reasoning is contradictory.
    its true , but i make some reasearch i have long arms and ppl saying you might get injured by doing incline press if you have long arms , idk its true or not , i quess i need to try and find it my self.

actually both, i dont like the bench because im having too much time to retracting my scapula , and leg drive. plus i kept stalling .
    but on incline its easy to do these.
    i think im overthinking
    ill just add incline and eat more thats it .

maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A sternum injury could be hindering your bench. The main head of the pectoral attaches to the f***ing sternum. Switch to incline and see if that helps, since that uses more the clavical attachment of the pectoral more. You need to heal that injury before trying to increase any weights in the bench. Talk to a PT or find some band work online that can help heal that area.

At 175lbs your bench is pretty bad, and if it was this bad before the injury, there are only 3 other reasons it would suck. Your too weak, your too skinny or your form. Sounds like you've worked on your form, but maybe you are focusing too much on advanced techniques and not just pushing the weight. Leg drive, arch, pulled shoulders are all great advice but they don't stop noobs from adding weight to their bench. You said 175lbs, are you 5'6" or 6'4". If its a good weight for your height and have appropriate body mass then it wouldn't be that. That leaves being too weak. Bench is a compound exercise that takes strong shoulders, arms, back, core and legs to do. If you aren't getting stronger in those areas than you bench won't go up.

its true , but i make some reasearch i have long arms and ppl saying you might get injured by doing incline press if you have long arms , idk its true or not , i quess i need to try and find it my self.

actually both, i dont like the bench because im having too much time to retracting my scapula , and leg drive. plus i kept stalling .
    but on incline its easy to do these.
    i think im overthinking
    ill just add incline and eat more thats it .
    Incline uses the exact same setup as flat. Arms tucked, lats tight, and leg drive. They are just as important so you don't drop the weight on your head. Leg drive is easier on incline since you can push against gravity.

A sternum injury could be hindering your bench. The main head of the pectoral attaches to the f***ing sternum. Switch to incline and see if that helps, since that uses more the clavical attachment of the pectoral more. You need to heal that injury before trying to increase any weights in the bench. Talk to a PT or find some band work online that can help heal that area.

At 175lbs your bench is pretty bad, and if it was this bad before the injury, there are only 3 other reasons it would suck. Your too weak, your too skinny or your form. Sounds like you've worked on your form, but maybe you are focusing too much on advanced techniques and not just pushing the weight. Leg drive, arch, pulled shoulders are all great advice but they don't stop noobs from adding weight to their bench. You said 175lbs, are you 5'6" or 6'4". If its a good weight for your height and have appropriate body mass then it wouldn't be that. That leaves being too weak. Bench is a compound exercise that takes strong shoulders, arms, back, core and legs to do. If you aren't getting stronger in those areas than you bench won't go up.
    my bench was worse before i get sternum injury , i dont think its about the sternum injury, i dont feel any pain when pressing .

i will change to incline, i will start with light weight really focus on form . i hope it helps

Incline uses the exact same setup as flat. Arms tucked, lats tight, and leg drive. They are just as important so you don't drop the weight on your head. Leg drive is easier on incline since you can push against gravity.
    well i will try it , my gyms incline bench look like this i dont know its 45 degree or not

http ://tinypic.com/r/28bba08/9

sorry for the angle, only picture i able to found in my gyms site.
    how much weight should i start it ? i didnt do incline for long time idk how much weight i can lift on it , is 10 kg less on my bench press weight enough ?

well i will try it , my gyms incline bench look like this i dont know its 45 degree or not

http ://tinypic.com/r/28bba08/9

sorry for the angle, only picture i able to found in my gyms site.
    how much weight should i start it ? i didnt do incline for long time idk how much weight i can lift on it , is 10 kg less on my bench press weight enough ?
    Angle doesn't matter much. Start with your normal bench warm up and you should feel when it gets tough. For an experienced lifter is about 10-15% less.