AC792 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

3 weeks to cut...need help

Hi guys, I have been working hard the last 5 months to gain some weight and size. Back in January I was sitting around 158lbs and not in great shape. Fast forward to now and I'm fluctuating to around 168-170. I've been doing the starting strength workout and a little bit of cardio before each workout to get warmed up.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with where I've gotten size wise but now I'd like to get my abs showing. I've always struggled with having a lower pouch, no matter how in shape or skinny I was. I'd like to get rid of this and need some input from you guys. Hoping to have a nice 6 pack within a few weeks if possible

In terms of diet, I haven't really been tracking what I eat other than making sure I eat clean and get enough protein. If I had to guess, the carbs is where I am over indulging.

I've attached a couple of pictures. Any diet or workout suggestions are greatly appreciated! Also, any idea what BF % I might be at?

Btw, today I weighed in at 169 and I'm 5'11".
    Attached Images

Nealislas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You look pretty good dude. For ab workouts I usually try to find one of those hyperextension machines that's inclined where you can assume get into a sit-up position with your legs snug and then bang out a few sets. I do reps until I feel my abs burn. Another exercise is sit-ups on a mat with a medicine ball and a friend to catch the ball as I throw it to them when coming up on the sit-up. The final exercise I'd recommend is if your gym has cables with triangular handles hanging in the air, I put both my feet through the cable handles and assume a pushup position, then I bend my knees and bring my legs, extend my legs back out, do a pushup in that position, and repeat. Most of the exercises that Jon Jones does in this video: www youtube com/watch?v=rgEq7iDk0iw and similar ones work for me.

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looking good man, would advise against a cut right now. You are pretty low bf%.

The reason your abs aren't popping is because you haven't developed them enough yet.

Highly recommend lean bulk for 6-8 more months, and focus on compound lifts, as well as isolation work for your core.

Hanging knee/leg raises, Halos = decline bench and go around in circles, bracing your core entire time, different variations of planks, wood choppers.

but honestly abs hypertrophy like a mofo during heavy squats/deads.

Good luck man! You are in a great position.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I will definitely focus on heavy compound lifts and start to isolate the core more during workouts. I'll admit, I haven't spent a lot of time working on the abs. Hopefully with some focus on core workouts, I can get the abs to start showing.

Would you guys advise against running? I have started to run about 2 miles about 3 times a week. Simply makes me feel great and I like being in decent cardio shape.

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AC792 View Post
    Thanks for the positive feedback! I will definitely focus on heavy compound lifts and start to isolate the core more during workouts. I'll admit, I haven't spent a lot of time working on the abs. Hopefully with some focus on core workouts, I can get the abs to start showing.

Would you guys advise against running? I have started to run about 2 miles about 3 times a week. Simply makes me feel great and I like being in decent cardio shape.
    If you do more cardio, you are forced to eat more, so if you love to eat loads of food, then yes, running is a good idea for you. If you have a hard time hitting your caloric goals, then running isn't the best idea.

It's really that simple. You should probably be bulking around 2600 calories, (guessing) so if you add in running 3x a week, maybe up that to 2,700 or so.

I never did cardio. I find it boring, rather just have very little rest between sets, or chase my daughter around, but straight up cardio is too boring.

Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would agree there is a certain caloric intake you should be at in order to achieve a certain look. I would incorporate re-feed days considering you are in a low enough bodyfat %

Please be careful of metabolic damage because sometimes it takes months if not years to make it return to its normal capacity.

thanks and looking Good!!!
    "You Must Show No Mercy..Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you.. For your greatness will silence them all"

Instagram @allbusinessfitness

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeRichBuffalo

[QUOTE=Jrich54338;1506687671]I would agree there is a certain caloric intake you should be at in order to achieve a certain look. I would incorporate re

Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on a refeed day?

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AC792 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on a refeed day?
    Very likely you will not need a re-feed; that would be more from being on an extreme type of diet.

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/refeed-podcast/
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Just an update guys.

I've continued to maintain my regular routine, except I've cut down on Cardio and put that time into ab workouts. I have focused on my diet a bit more and am eating more protein/fat, but less carbs. My body has responded quite well over the last week. My abs are starting to show more and I'm maintaining my weight.

I will post progress pictures up here in a couple of weeks. Feeling good with where I'm heading right now!