Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
    Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by LoadedWraps View Post
    None really. I've only really had one interview ever go "sour", and 3 interviews out of 15 didn't land me an offer.

Not the biggest sample size, but i'm well over .500, well into positive territory.

I'm more interested in any horror stories you might have, always looking to feel better about myself than I did 5 mins ago by being reminded that there are some idiots out there.

Horror stories? Hmmmm. Well I've become desensitized. I've interviewed so many so not sure what classifies as a "horror" anymore. I don't have specific examples but have general things that upset me.

I have read before on the misc that it's always best to take control of the interview and start asking the employer questions instead of the other way around. That immediately annoys me. I have very specific things I'm looking for and am not ready for a chat session. I've had candidates do that before and the interview is pretty much done at that point.

I've had a few people over the years be unapologetically late. My day at work is booked solid -- every minute of every day. I don't need to be involved in interviewing below my skip level management, but I like to for roles that I believe are critical. If someone is excessively late, I'll skip out on the interview altogether.

The most common thing is that people don't ever answer your question. They answer something else that they think is what you're asking. Although this isn't a horror story per se, it happens all too often and already ends the interview in my mind.

I remember a candidate who wanted to go into a self-sales pitch that lasted a solid 15 minutes. That needed to end ASAP.

I had a couple candidates over the years become borderline hostile when whatever they prepared for back home did not include a single thing we actually asked. I felt bad for this guy once who at the end said that we didn't ask other things that he thinks are important and pretty much began conducting the interview with himself, questions and answers.

Dre4 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dre4 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dre4 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dre4 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dre4 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dre4 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dre4 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dre4 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dre4 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dre4 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dre4 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ProboscisMonkie View Post
    Its in Wilm, I probably wont get it. I dont have a sleeve tattoo, dont surf, and im from NJ
    Have you applied for jobs outside of Wilmington? It's worth a shot. I was able to land a couple of interviews in Charlotte while living in the Triangle area, so companies shouldn't be too worried about giving you some time to relocate.

Like I said earlier, NC is a hot bed for your industry, you're just in the wrong city for a non-part-time college job.
    Oakland Raiders--Toronto Raptors--Toronto Blue Jays--San Jose Sharks
    UNC Tarheels--FSU Seminoles

Fresh BVB 09 Supporter

Canadian Crew

inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I work and grad study full time, preparing for conferral this August. Wanting to jump from hospital industry to health consulting. Two questions:

1) Achieved a lot at current first post-grad role, here now just <2yrs. Progression is strict and requires two full years to apply to higher level. Despite this, I have already onboarded to more responsibilities...with no title or pay bump... until my anniversary in late Spring. (I do feel Sr Mgt put one over me! All in the name of "fasttracking" my potential).

As I'm applying for exp. hire openings but can only start after graduating, should I wait for promotion, or send out resumes now with my added roles noted? I'm just aware hiring is a long process for the big firms and was hoping to have an out-of-cycle contingent offer by summer. Not even sure if timing is too early for August. Would HR think I'm embellishing details without official title bump?

2) I networked hard for my current role, with the Sr Dir waiving exp. req. for me. She told me this was a sr lvl job, but lowered title for my specific entry; and yet still expected the same work. Took the opportunity to prove myself and was hired in my mid20s as [still] only age <30 FTE in a Corp Div of 60. Most seniors are age 35+. My academic hospital system is T15.

May I mention those details ^ in the cover letter? Leveraging an "enterprising drive" and "ability to learn and adapt quickly" into a career pivot? Or is it overly boastful and presumptuous? Otherwise my unique success may be lost on the reviewer, since my title is not representative of my scope.

Reps in advance! Thank you OP for your continued wisdom.
    Last edited by inq; 01-15-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    ---
    ---
    Aware Thread: You know you can TRIPLE the Chipotle Bowl, right?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168524803

S&P crew
    CollegeTrad.com - "A young man's perspective on timeless and youthful style"

Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000) Pete3000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by inq View Post
    I work and grad study full time, preparing for conferral this August. Wanting to jump from hospital industry to health consulting. Two questions:

1) Achieved a lot at current first post-grad role, here now just <2yrs. Progression is strict and requires two full years to apply to higher level. Despite this, I have already onboarded to more responsibilities...with no title or pay bump... until my anniversary in late Spring. (I do feel Sr Mgt put one over me! All in the name of "fasttracking" my potential).

As I'm applying for exp. hire openings but can only start after graduating, should I wait for promotion, or send out resumes now with my added roles noted? I'm just aware hiring is a long process for the big firms and was hoping to have an out-of-cycle contingent offer by summer. Not even sure if timing is too early for August. Would HR think I'm embellishing details without official title bump?

2) I networked hard for my current role, with the Sr Dir waiving exp. req. for me. She told me this was a sr lvl job, but lowered title for my specific entry; and yet still expected the same work. Took the opportunity to prove myself and was hired in my mid20s as [still] only age <30 FTE in a Corp Div of 60. Most seniors are age 35+. My academic hospital system is T15.

May I mention those details ^ in the cover letter? Leveraging an "enterprising drive" and "ability to learn and adapt quickly" into a career pivot? Or is it overly boastful and presumptuous? Otherwise my unique success may be lost on the reviewer, since my title is not representative of my scope.

Reps in advance! Thank you OP for your continued wisdom.
    For point 1, I'm always weary of people mentioning that they're up for promotion soon. It makes me feel like the interview and potential offer is fake because this person is just leveraging an outside offer for an internal promotion. This may not be the case with you, but that's my immediate thought. Additionally, I think it's great you got additional responsibilities and you should definitely bullet them or highlight in your cover letter that your competence and hard work lead to an increase in responsibility. Make sure to articulate what the added responsibilities specifically are. I think you're in a good place now with your resume. If you get the promotion and send out your resume after spring, I'd be curious as to why you would want to jump ship after being awarded an promotion.

2. You should definitely highlight in your cover letter that you're the youngest in your organization within your role. Where I work I'm the youngest exec and carry the largest staff and for me people have always interpreted that as a positive -- that I was so competent that I excelled to a role that it may take others years to get to. And you can most definitely use your quick ability to learn as a relevant point in articulating your ability to excel despite the lack of direct experience in health consulting. I would much rather hire someone green but ready to learn/succeed than someone experienced and jaded.
    Last edited by Pete3000; 01-16-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Odin21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Odin21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Odin21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Odin21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Odin21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Odin21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Odin21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Odin21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Odin21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Odin21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Odin21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I suck at interviewing. I landed a decent job in finance after graduation but just hit my 2yr anniversary so I'm going to start hunting again.

Is there some sort of Bible you'd recommend for improving interview skills?

I would love to work at a big company with a fun culture like Google and have the experience and education but know that you need to not only do well but nail those interviews.
    Breathing in, I calm my body.
    Breathing out, I smile.
    Dwelling in the present moment,
    I know this is a wonderful moment.

inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Pete3000 View Post
    For point 1, I'm always weary of people mentioning that they're up for promotion soon. It makes me feel like the interview and potential offer is fake because this person is just leveraging an outside offer for an internal promotion. This may not be the case with you, but that's my immediate thought. Additionally, I think it's great you got additional responsibilities and you should definitely bullet them or highlight in your cover letter that your competence and hard work lead to an increase in responsibility. Make sure to articulate what the added responsibilities specifically are. I think you're in a good place now with your resume. If you get the promotion and send out your resume after spring, I'd be curious as to why you would want to jump ship after being awarded an promotion.

2. You should definitely highlight in your cover letter that you're the youngest in your organization within your role. Where I work I'm the youngest exec and carry the largest staff and for me people have always interpreted that as a positive -- that I was so competent that I excelled to a role that it may take others years to get to. And you can most definitely use your quick ability to learn as a relevant point in articulating your ability to excel despite the lack of direct experience in health consulting. I would much rather hire someone green but ready to learn/succeed than someone experienced and jaded.
    Awesome thanks for the feedback! I do say in my current-to-date resume that I am "on track" to promotion to senior. Not sure if okay to say but wanted it understood I progressed with responsibilities without the added title. So essentially, it's uncommon for my division to do this (again not sure if mgt took advantage of me or not lol). Wish I could say one other colleague carries the level of oversight I now have, and he had been a senior for over a decade and is age 43
    ---
    ---
    Aware Thread: You know you can TRIPLE the Chipotle Bowl, right?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168524803

S&P crew
    CollegeTrad.com - "A young man's perspective on timeless and youthful style"

NinjaBoots is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NinjaBoots is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NinjaBoots is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NinjaBoots is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NinjaBoots is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NinjaBoots is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NinjaBoots is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NinjaBoots is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NinjaBoots is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NinjaBoots is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NinjaBoots is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Can you talk a bit about the differences between traditional and behavioral interviewing? Specifically with the latter, what is the best way to prepare?

ajctennis is a name known to all. (+5000) ajctennis is a name known to all. (+5000) ajctennis is a name known to all. (+5000) ajctennis is a name known to all. (+5000) ajctennis is a name known to all. (+5000) ajctennis is a name known to all. (+5000) ajctennis is a name known to all. (+5000) ajctennis is a name known to all. (+5000) ajctennis is a name known to all. (+5000) ajctennis is a name known to all. (+5000) ajctennis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How often are you guys giving jobs to someone related ( friend, acquaintance, or relative)?

Is reaching out to someone who works at your company going to make a big difference?

How much pull does an associate or VP have if they want to bring someone on board?

How long does it take for you guys on average to get back after your first round interviews to decide on who to take for the second round?

Also, are there any things you an do to separate yourself in the interview?