Page 122 of 125 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 3735
    sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by milkbar View Post
    My inner chest is seriously lacking. I've read that you should do dumbbell bench presses, close-grip barbell bench presses, and/or "tighter" pec flyes. Yesterday I tried squeezing more during pec flyes. I'm hoping that will help, but maybe I should also drop a barbell press for a dumbbell one? Or change up my grip on barbell bench press?
    Google "anatomy of the chest" and look at the muscle and how it inserts.
    You will be happy to see that the inner chest doesn't exist, and simply getting a larger chest (probably upper) will fill you out.
    Been playing with shafts and balls since '75.

SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jones2020 View Post
    What do u guys think of this workout, I dont like the legs being on seperate day

Day 1

*Chin-ups*
    Wide Grip Bench press (Elbows flared, no arch)
    Inline Bench (Low, moderate grip, no arch)
    Flyes/Crossovers
    Rope Pressdowns
    Leg Extensions
    Side lateral raises
    ab rollouts

Day 2

Wide Grip pullups (pulldowns)
    Seated rows
    Reverse flyes/crossovers
    Incline dumbbell curls
    Preacher Curls
    (romanian) deadlifts
    Side lateral raises
    ab rollouts

Il be incorporating the squats later on, but how does it look now ?
    That looks mostly fine. You should have calf raises in there. When you add squats you'll eventually want leg curls as well.

milkbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkbar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sonnydfrizzy View Post
    Google "anatomy of the chest" and look at the muscle and how it inserts.
    You will be happy to see that the inner chest doesn't exist, and simply getting a larger chest (probably upper) will fill you out.
    Yeah, I read some comments about that as well. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and eat more. Thanks!

liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Been doing this for a while now and really enjoying it.

Only problem is the reverse flyes. Is there another exercise I could do for rear delts that would be a good substitution? Face pulls maybe?

Thanks in advance

liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) liamhendy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anyone have any ideas? Much appreciated!

SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000) SXElifter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by liamhendy View Post
    Been doing this for a while now and really enjoying it.

Only problem is the reverse flyes. Is there another exercise I could do for rear delts that would be a good substitution? Face pulls maybe?

Thanks in advance
    Facepulls can substitute for reverse flyes.

davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i know i shouldnt self-diagnose, but my shoulders in a lot of pain these days and google suggests its maybe rotator cuff. im over 50 and work out most days so that doesnt help. its been like this for 3 or 4 months now, i just had 2 months off due to holidays/work/family etc and it eased a little. first session back and the pains as bad as ever again. just had 4 days on the trot, forcing through the pain and its awful again. got to accept this isnt going away.

ill go to the docs, but im sure he'll just say pack in lifting. if thats what i have to do, thats what i have to do, but thought id ask here first as im sure a few of you will have had similar problems in your lifting careers.....

funnily enough the pain doesnt seem to bad when i get going, just certain exercises hurt such as dips, flys and bench to a certain extent. i feel ok just after the session, but then it comes back and stays. tried ibuprofen but nothing works well. typing this with bad pain in shoulder at present, hurts to even lift my toothbrush! :-)

should i be packing the weights in til it goes (thatll be months), doing light exercises, concentrate on cardio, or just keep on keeping on?

thanks
    Kelei routine log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148907233

sirc80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by davo26 View Post
    i know i shouldnt self-diagnose, but my shoulders in a lot of pain these days and google suggests its maybe rotator cuff. im over 50 and work out most days so that doesnt help. its been like this for 3 or 4 months now, i just had 2 months off due to holidays/work/family etc and it eased a little. first session back and the pains as bad as ever again. just had 4 days on the trot, forcing through the pain and its awful again. got to accept this isnt going away.

ill go to the docs, but im sure he'll just say pack in lifting. if thats what i have to do, thats what i have to do, but thought id ask here first as im sure a few of you will have had similar problems in your lifting careers.....

funnily enough the pain doesnt seem to bad when i get going, just certain exercises hurt such as dips, flys and bench to a certain extent. i feel ok just after the session, but then it comes back and stays. tried ibuprofen but nothing works well. typing this with bad pain in shoulder at present, hurts to even lift my toothbrush! :-)

should i be packing the weights in til it goes (thatll be months), doing light exercises, concentrate on cardio, or just keep on keeping on?

thanks
    Davo,

Don't continue to lift weights until you see a doctor! Three weeks ago I tore my bicep tendon (long head, connecting the shoulder), had surgery and now I have to take a 6 month break from the gym to fully recover. It sucks!!! I wish I have been been wiser, listen to my body and not push through the pain and lift weights, but now is too late. If I would have taken maybe a 3-4 weeks break maybe I wouldn't had to go through this.
    Be wiser than me and do the right thing, go to the doctor and see what is the problem with your shoulders. Otherwise you might cause an injury that you might not ever fully recover from. Don't be stupid like I was. I regret it so much now. I wish you all the best!

davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sirc80 View Post
    Davo,

Don't continue to lift weights until you see a doctor! Three weeks ago I tore my bicep tendon (long head, connecting the shoulder), had surgery and now I have to take a 6 month break from the gym to fully recover. It sucks!!! I wish I have been been wiser, listen to my body and not push through the pain and lift weights, but now is too late. If I would have taken maybe a 3-4 weeks break maybe I wouldn't had to go through this.
    Be wiser than me and do the right thing, go to the doctor and see what is the problem with your shoulders. Otherwise you might cause an injury that you might not ever fully recover from. Don't be stupid like I was. I regret it so much now. I wish you all the best!
    thats what i feared the advice would be. makes sense i spose but soooo frustrating. appointment made with the doc.

2Secondss is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile What routine?

Hey guys,

If I'm only able to hit the gym 3-4 times a week, which Kelei routine would you recommend? I'm kinda lost on the following:

1. Do the "Kelei revision 1" whereas I do a full body everytime, but with different exercises of course.
    or
    2. Do the "new" routine with a D1 (Chest, front delts, triceps) and D2 (Upper back, rear delts, biceps) and then split the D3 (Thighs, lower back) between the D1 & D2 - mostly D2.

Thanks in advance guys! I am confident that I will do a Kelei setup, since it gave me great results in the past.

Cheers, Michael

Originally Posted by xxx_jfb_xxx View Post
    Alright, well why are people so hell bent on using barbells? For strength reasons, I kind of get it... but if your focus is pure hypertrophy, I feel like dumbbells are the way to go. I feel the targeted muscle contract, get pumped up way more, range of motion increases, more natural movement so less joint pain...

Maybe I'm just getting old and realizing the increasing joint stress isn't worth it.
    Well, somewhere a in the jungle Kelei mentioned he just didn't like all the hazzle with getting DB's up and going when doing rest/pause compared to just having the bar ready .

Originally Posted by 2Secondss View Post
    Hey guys,

If I'm only able to hit the gym 3-4 times a week, which Kelei routine would you recommend? I'm kinda lost on the following:

1. Do the "Kelei revision 1" whereas I do a full body everytime, but with different exercises of course.
    or
    2. Do the "new" routine with a D1 (Chest, front delts, triceps) and D2 (Upper back, rear delts, biceps) and then split the D3 (Thighs, lower back) between the D1 & D2 - mostly D2.

Thanks in advance guys! I am confident that I will do a Kelei setup, since it gave me great results in the past.

Cheers, Michael
    3 days = full body
    4 days = upper/lower

That's a general guideline. The main point is that hitting each muscle group twice per week (most of the time) or every 3-4 days works best for most people. The way you split it up isn't all that important; what matters is that you maintain a good frequency.

Originally Posted by SXElifter View Post
    3 days = full body
    4 days = upper/lower

That's a general guideline. The main point is that hitting each muscle group twice per week (most of the time) or every 3-4 days works best for most people. The way you split it up isn't all that important; what matters is that you maintain a good frequency.
    Thank you for your reply. I actually PM'ed ThatOneLurker but I guess i might just as well post it here for everyone to comment on. I'm leaning more towards a Push/Pull program and then aiming for the 4 days a week. I'm a little confused about some things regarding chest and shoulder in general and how to feel about the 15' incline. Here goes - feel free to comment on whatever you feel like:

D1: Push:
    1. Squat - 35 reps
    2. Flat bench (no arch) - 35 reps
    3. Incline bench (15' no arch) - 35 reps
    4. DB Flyers - 35 reps
    5. Lateral raises - 35 reps
    6. Dips (straight, no forward lean) - 35 reps
    7. Seated calf raises - 35 reps

D2: Pull
    1. Chin ups - 35 reps
    2. RDL - 35 reps
    3. Wide grip upright rows - 35 reps
    4. EZ Chest-supported rows on bench (widest grip possible) - 35 reps
    5. EZ Preachers - 35 reps
    6. DB bulgarian split squat - 35 reps

What do you guys think? I've got my own gym in my garage, so creativity is always a key factor for me. I thinking about maybe swapping a chest exercise with DB military press, but not quite sure.

Cheers, love reading the thread(s).
    Last edited by 2Secondss; 10-27-2016 at 04:28 AM.

Originally Posted by 2Secondss View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I actually PM'ed ThatOneLurker but I guess i might just as well post it here for everyone to comment on. I'm leaning more towards a Push/Pull program and then aiming for the 4 days a week. I'm a little confused about some things regarding chest and shoulder in general and how to feel about the 15' incline. Here goes - feel free to comment on whatever you feel like:

D1: Push:
    1. Squat - 35 reps
    2. Flat bench (no arch) - 35 reps
    3. Incline bench (15' no arch) - 35 reps
    4. DB Flyers - 35 reps
    5. Lateral raises - 35 reps
    6. Dips (straight, no forward lean) - 35 reps
    7. Seated calf raises - 35 reps

1. Chin ups - 35 reps
    2. RDL - 35 reps
    3. Wide grip upright rows - 35 reps
    4. EZ Chest-supported rows on bench (widest grip possible) - 35 reps
    5. EZ Preachers - 35 reps
    6. DB bulgarian split squat - 35 reps

What do you guys think? I've got my own gym in my garage, so creativity is always a key factor for me. I thinking about maybe swapping a chest exercise with DB military press, but not quite sure.

Cheers, love reading the thread(s).
    The upper body push/pull looks imbalanced. You got flat bench, incline bench, flyes, and dips, and then you only got one row. Rowing and/or reverse flyes are the exercises that balance out all of the pressing and flying. Having it imbalanced can lead to posture issues/shoulder injuries.

SteElmox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So Push Pull legs workout. Im wondering if im doing too much or could i do even more sets? Legs are only once a week

Push A:
    Incline dumbbell press 4x6-8
    Incline machine press 3x8-12
    Incline flyes 3x12-15
    Military press 3x6-8
    Seated lateral raises 3x12-15
    One arm cable tricep extensions 4x8-12

Pull A:
    T-bar row 4x6-8
    Lat pulldowns 4x10-12
    Seated clable row 4x10-12
    Face pulls 4x12-15
    One arm preacher curl 3x8-12
    Shrugs 15-20

Legs:
    Squats 4x6-8
    Hack squats 4x8-12
    Leg extensions 3xfailure
    Leg curls 3xfailure
    Walking lunges 3x10

Push B:
    Cable flyes 3x12-15
    Flat dumbbell press 3x8-12
    Military press 3x6-8
    Cable lateral raises 3x12-15
    Triceps pushdowns 4x8-12

Pull B:
    T-bar row 4x6-8
    Close grip latpulldowns 4x10-12
    Machine row 4x10-12
    One arm cable rear delt raise 4x12-15
    Cable bicep curl 3x8-12
    Shrugs 3x15-20

Originally Posted by SteElmox View Post
    So Push Pull legs workout. Im wondering if im doing too much or could i do even more sets? Legs are only once a week

Push A:
    Incline machine press 3x8-12
    Incline flyes 3x12-15
    Military press 3x6-8
    Seated lateral raises 3x12-15
    One arm cable tricep extensions 4x8-12

Pull A:
    T-bar row 4x6-8
    Lat pulldowns 4x10-12
    Seated clable row 4x10-12
    Face pulls 4x12-15
    One arm preacher curl 3x8-12
    Shrugs 15-20

Legs:
    Squats 4x6-8
    Hack squats 4x8-12
    Leg extensions 3xfailure
    Leg curls 3xfailure
    Walking lunges 3x10

Push B:
    Cable flyes 3x12-15
    Flat dumbbell press 3x8-12
    Military press 3x6-8
    Cable lateral raises 3x12-15
    Triceps pushdowns 4x8-12

Pull B:
    T-bar row 4x6-8
    Close grip latpulldowns 4x10-12
    Machine row 4x10-12
    One arm cable rear delt raise 4x12-15
    Cable bicep curl 3x8-12
    Shrugs 3x15-20
    so push/pull/legs/push/pull and repeat?? no 2nd legs day? on set days of the week? nooooooo........ if youre doing P/P/L you need to forget about how many times per week youre doing it and set days, and just go P/P/L P/P/L P/P/L etc etc no matter what day of the week youre training. if you did PULL last time, do LEGS next.

apologies if ive got your intentions wrong.

SteElmox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    so push/pull/legs/push/pull and repeat?? no 2nd legs day? on set days of the week? nooooooo........ if youre doing P/P/L you need to forget about how many times per week youre doing it and set days, and just go P/P/L P/P/L P/P/L etc etc no matter what day of the week youre training. if you did PULL last time, do LEGS next.

apologies if ive got your intentions wrong.
    Yeah so i meant i would take one rest day after pull b workout so i would workout 6 times a week. But im more curious about how many sets should i do? And one leg day since theres more muscles in upper body that needs to be worked than lower body but i guess i can do second leg day. So is the idea that i do push pull legs for 3 weeks without rest days and then take week off? Sorry for being unaware

Antaxious is just really nice. (+1000) Antaxious is just really nice. (+1000) Antaxious is just really nice. (+1000) Antaxious is just really nice. (+1000) Antaxious is just really nice. (+1000) Antaxious is just really nice. (+1000) Antaxious is just really nice. (+1000) Antaxious is just really nice. (+1000) Antaxious is just really nice. (+1000) Antaxious is just really nice. (+1000) Antaxious is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tomorrow Ill be done with my last Macro of my first GST workout, so I will need to switch things up !

I haven´t decided yet wether Ill stay with GST, or go back to Fierce 5 or start something completely new for me like Keleis method.

Ive found a template on this topic but changed/added some exercises. let me know what you think

It will be in the 40 rep range and ABS/Calves 80 reps

D1: Push
    Wide Grip BP (Wich is what Kelei recommends but ive read it might be bad on the shoulders? I find it intresting to try out though)
    Dips
    Cable Crossover (not sure if standing or on flat bench)
    Dumbbell Pullover
    Tricep Pressdowns with V Bar
    Side Raises
    AB Machine
    Standing Calf Raises

Deadlift
    Wide Grip Lat PD
    Seated Cable Rows
    T-Row (Not sure its the correct name, basicly horizontal row with chest support )
    Reverse Flies (Machine or dumbells)
    Standing/Laying Cable Curls
    Side Raise
    Hanging leg Raise

D3: Legs
    Squat
    HyperExtensions
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls
    Sit Calf
    Side Raise
    Cable Crunch
    Wrist Curls

jedema will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedema will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedema will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedema will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedema will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedema will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedema will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedema will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedema will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedema will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedema will become famous soon enough. (+50)

thanks
    I've been gone for around 2 years due to my shoulders being garbage. I had my RT labrum re-anchored 360 degrees (the Drew Brees repair). It started with an old high school football injury that I ignored for many years.

Baby those things. You only have 2. I fully believe that you can make a comeback it just takes time. Find yourself a good surgeon. I had a great night ne and it still took a year before it started feeling normal again.

Let me guess, the pain is in the front of the shoulder. Those particular lifts expose that nerve/tendon bundle and tend to irritate it. I always worked around it before but now that it is fixed and feeling good I'm able to do those lifts again.

Get that thing looked at.
    I drag my happy rear out of bed at 3am and am at the gym between 3:30 and 4am before I go to work. I have no excuses and I expect none!

11/18/2013 - 360 degree Labrum repair
    1/10/2014 - Finally released to PT

Originally Posted by jedema View Post
    Let me guess, the pain is in the front of the shoulder.
    mainly yes. altho its hard to pinpoint. keeps me awake some nights too especially as i tend to rotate a lot during the night :-) if it makes any sense, sometimes i can be just sat or laid doing nothing and ill start getting a burning ache in the shoulder for no reason, i just have to grimace and wait for it to subside. it can sometimes cause an uncomfortable ache at the rear tho, feels like its going to the back of my neck then.
    Get that thing looked at.
    yup, its hard work getting in at the doctors over here, havent been able to yet, gonna try again tomorrow for an appointment.

thanks

The1Blob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Would this workout be good for a 16yo beginner?

sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by The1Blob View Post
    Would this workout be good for a 16yo beginner?
    No. GO see the pinned posts on the main page for beginner routines.
    Been playing with shafts and balls since '75.

Originally Posted by sonnydfrizzy View Post
    No. GO see the pinned posts on the main page for beginner routines.
    I really appreciate your reply. I'd really like a program that both, my son and I can follow. we've been doing this one for 3 weeks now, but he does 30 reps, and I do 40. Calves and abs it's the same for both of us, 60-80 reps. If you know of a good workout that we both can follow, please point me to the right direction. Im gonna take a look at the main page in the meantime

I really appreciate your reply. I'd really like a program that both, my son and I can follow. we've been doing this one for 3 weeks now, but he does 30 reps, and I do 40. Calves and abs it's the same for both of us, 60-80 reps. If you know of a good workout that we both can follow, please point me to the right direction. Im gonna take a look at the main page in the meantime
    id like to play devils advocate here and say yes, this is fine for a beginner too. at the end of the day youre both in the gym doing the same exercises, enjoying yourselves and youre lifting lumps of metal and getting stronger. its not like your son wont be able to make any gains on it just cos it may not be the optimal beginner routine.

by all means look at the other routines too and make your mind up, but in my opinion this is a good routine for anybody to adopt.

Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think this routine would work well for a beginner if you made a few changes, personally I would lower the frequency (3x fullbody or 6xupper/lower) and focus on the basics - keep rest periods to 2 mins and perform 3-5 sets per exercise.

Something like

Flat Bench
    Incline Bench - or - Overhead press (depending on personal taste and goals)
    Upright row - or - side raise (depending on shoulder issues)
    Dips - or - CGBP (again if dips don't hurt shoulders)
    Tricep extension exercise

Front squat - or - Back squat - or Hack squat (again personal preference/goals)
    RDL
    Chest supported row (any type of horizontal row really, RDLs may effect lower back though for bbrows)
    Pullups - or - chins
    Leg Curl
    BB Curl
    Calf work.

That's what I would as a beginner anyways - 3 to 5 sets, 2 mins rest between set and increase weight when you hit 12 reps on the first set. As a beginner you mainly need to worry most about learning the movements well and gaining some basic strength in the main movements.

Thank you Davo! That's precisely what I want! to have, ALMOST the same exercises, obviously with different reps, etc

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have some issues myself....

Thank you Alyion
    One of the "little problems" I have with him is that (so far), he has the mindset of his school, and no matter how many times I tell him that it's fine not to do straight sets/reps, he is set to do 10 reps per set. Until last night, that he only did only 6 preacher. And that was because he couldn't do more (as it should?), I've told him that if he can do 12 straight, he needs more weight. Anyway, I really enjoy working out with him, and that's why I was asking about this, or a different routine that we both can follow. Thank you for the detailed reply!

P.S. We're doing 6 days/week
    D1 RD, Smith FS, LC, Ext, Calves, Abs

D2 Rows(Cable or HS), Pulldn, Rev Fls, Incln DB Curl, Preacher

D3 Flyes, Smith Incln, Smith FB, Prs Dwn, DB Latrl Raises, Abs

Originally Posted by Alyion View Post
    I think this routine would work well for a beginner if you made a few changes, personally I would lower the frequency (3x fullbody or 6xupper/lower) and focus on the basics - keep rest periods to 2 mins and perform 3-5 sets per exercise.

Something like

Flat Bench
    Incline Bench - or - Overhead press (depending on personal taste and goals)
    Upright row - or - side raise (depending on shoulder issues)
    Dips - or - CGBP (again if dips don't hurt shoulders)
    Tricep extension exercise

Front squat - or - Back squat - or Hack squat (again personal preference/goals)
    RDL
    Chest supported row (any type of horizontal row really, RDLs may effect lower back though for bbrows)
    Pullups - or - chins
    Leg Curl
    BB Curl
    Calf work.

That's what I would as a beginner anyways - 3 to 5 sets, 2 mins rest between set and increase weight when you hit 12 reps on the first set. As a beginner you mainly need to worry most about learning the movements well and gaining some basic strength in the main movements.

Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thank you Alyion
    One of the "little problems"...........
    Doing 10 reps each set won't work for long with this routine - by going to positive failure on the first set, there is no real way subsequent sets will hit 10 reps due to the fatigue/intensity of the first set, you will find as soon as you get close to real working weights your other set reps will fall. Lower reps are seen as better to bring about strength gains (which is why most beginner routines stick to 3x5/5x5 etc) which is the main goal of the program - to increase your 10 rep max weight in each exercise.

Do you have to use smith machines? The machine stabilises the weight for you meaning you lose a great deal of muscle activation (and even growth initally) by performing main compounds in this way. imo Smith machines have their place, but only as 'secondary' movements and not the main lifts. If you have no option however then its all you can do.

I'm going to increase the weight in all my son's exercises so he can start to completely forget about doing mandatory 10 haha!

With front squats I don't "need" to use the Smith, i used to do 'em w/barbell (for about year and a half). In fact, (idk how this is going to be taken) when people at the gym started seeing me front squatting, I'd notice some would "secretly" stare, others would ask me how to do 'em, and others would tell me that they had always tried doing 'em without success, and would ask me to let them try, not before asking me how I do to keep the bar from falling/rolling. The reason I started doing smith, is because I saw a guy(about 2 years ago or so) in one of Kelei's posts, and he posted a picture of his quads and said he was doing was Smith FS. the truth is that with barbell, my back, abs, and even my butt would get sore(I don't use belt, don't know what difference would make) , with the Smith I haven't felt NOTHING!. even though I just started lifting(we're on our 4th week) after close to 2 year break. I know that EVEN doing bodyweight squats would get people sore, so I'm kind of confused...

With bench presses, EVEN on the Smith, I SUCK!...I don't feel my chest AT ALL!!.....Again, Thank you for replying!

Teryaki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Teryaki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Teryaki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Teryaki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Teryaki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Teryaki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Teryaki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Teryaki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Teryaki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Teryaki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Teryaki has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So I'm supposed to train delts/abs/calves 6 times a week?

And this won't cause overtraining?

Edit: can I do this while cutting or is it strictly for bulking?
    Last edited by Teryaki; 12-19-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    King of stretch mark crew
    7.5/10 facial aesthetics
    Poverty ab genetics crew
    Big glutes crew
    Not giving a phuck crew

Page 122 of 125 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast