Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

First Bulk, Need Help

Hey,

I'm finishing up my cut after having reached my goal weight/physique (5'10, 160 pounds). I would say I am relatively lean and at or below 15% body fat. Regardless, I have been cutting for far too long and need to add muscle to my frame.
    I currently eat 1800-1900 calories and lose roughly 1.5-2 pounds a week. If I want to start a clean bulk (e.g. gaining as little body fat as possible while putting on muscle) where would I start and how much weight gain should I allow a week to ensure it's mostly muscle and not fat.
    I am a novice lifter and I have read that you can only really gain 2 pounds of muscle a month. Does that mean I want to be gaining roughly 3 pounds of body weight a month? So eat at like a 300 calorie surplus (which idk if I'm right, but would that be 2500 calories for me?).

Let me know if I am heading in the right direction and have the right idea, thanks.

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Reverse diet and add 200 calories or so per week until gaining 2 pounds or so per month. Also follow a proven routine.

NUTRITION

This is the largest factor in your success, learn the basics to get started and then move into more advanced if needed.

BASICS
    Spoiler!

Sources and More Information

TRAINING

Start with a solid beginner routine, these are designed to get the most for you; they are designed by professionals and use progressive overload. Read through them and pick the one you like most, follow it as it is written.

Why You Should Not Make Your Own Routine
    How To Perform Basic Lifts

Routines
    Starting Strength
    BabyLover's Starting Strength
    AllPro's Beginner Routine
    StrongLifts 5x5
    IceCream Fitness 5x5
    Fierce 5
    Coolcicada's Push Pull Legs

Calisthenics routines
    Spoiler!

SUPPLEMENTS

Remember one thing, supplements are only that; they supplement something and are never meant to be replacements. A multivitamin will not replace fruits and vegetables, a fat burner will not replace a caloric deficit, and a meal replacement is not meant to be your only source of calories.

This is a brief run down of the 'basics', for further breakdowns of specific ingredients (like Yohimbe, Forskolin, Glycerol, ect) more research on your part would be needed.

Protein
    Spoiler!

Multi-Vitamins
    Spoiler!

Fish Oil
    Spoiler!

Creatine
    Spoiler!

BCAAs
    Spoiler!

Fat Burners
    Spoiler!

Pre-Workouts
    Spoiler!

Meal Replacements/Mass Gainer
    Spoiler!

CLA
    Spoiler!

Glutamine
    Spoiler!
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Why do you suggest reverse cutting as opposed to simply jumping to an estimated caloric intake that would net me 2 months of weight gain a month.
    Also, if a person can gain 2 pounds of muscle, shouldn't I be trying to gain more than 2 pounds a month. If everything was perfect, I would put on pure 2 pounds of muscle. But I'm not perfect, so if I gain 2 pounds won't only 1 of it be muscle? Therefore, wouldn't I want be gaining 4 pounds a month to ensure I try and hit those 2 pounds of muscle?

Thanks

Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Zevias View Post
    Why do you suggest reverse cutting as opposed to simply jumping to an estimated caloric intake that would net me 2 months of weight gain a month.
    Also, if a person can gain 2 pounds of muscle, shouldn't I be trying to gain more than 2 pounds a month. If everything was perfect, I would put on pure 2 pounds of muscle. But I'm not perfect, so if I gain 2 pounds won't only 1 of it be muscle? Therefore, wouldn't I want be gaining 4 pounds a month to ensure I try and hit those 2 pounds of muscle?

Thanks
    I don't think reverse dieting is necessary in your case. If you weren't tracking your weight loss each week, then I think reverse dieting would be beneficial. If you're accurate with your 1.5-2lbs of weight loss a month, that would mean you're in a 750-1000 calorie a day deficit. So, if you're eating at 1800 calores, you're maintenance would be around 2500-2800. If you're on a proven weight training program, I'd shoot for 2-3 lbs a month of weight gain which is roughly a 300 calorie surplus.

Once you're done with your cut, I'd stay at maintenance for a week or two so your body adapts to the increased calories. Once you have maintained a weight and know if you're at maintenance, bump your calories 300 and monitor weight.
    New England Patriot
    MISC Dynasty League Champion 2018

gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thanks
    It makes less of a water weight spike, which can make it easier to find actual rate of gain; but it is personal preference.

Gaining 4 pounds would lead to more fat than needed, 2 pounds would allow for a longer and leaner bulk.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you intend to gain 3lb per month that is 18lbs in 6 months - you'll just get fat. Even 2lbs a month would be exessive. Aim for 1lb a month and do a nice clean solid bulk for 8-10 months and even if you go slightly over 1lb it should only be 10-12lbs of weight gain.

Olhausen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your answer depends completely on how much fat your willing to gain in your buik.

Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is a limit to muscle growth (roughly 2lbs/month for newbies) anything above that simply leads to more fat gain as you can't force growth. If you are a beginner then 3lbs should be the maximum rate of gain and preferably more around the 2lbs range.
    My story going from obese to fit while battling daily chronic headaches:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155566013&p=1104734533#post1104734533

Summer shred 2015. -final updated posted Sept. 19.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167135911

Originally Posted by Tyler2106 View Post
    I don't think reverse dieting is necessary in your case. If you weren't tracking your weight loss each week, then I think reverse dieting would be beneficial. If you're accurate with your 1.5-2lbs of weight loss a month, that would mean you're in a 750-1000 calorie a day deficit. So, if you're eating at 1800 calores, you're maintenance would be around 2500-2800. If you're on a proven weight training program, I'd shoot for 2-3 lbs a month of weight gain which is roughly a 300 calorie surplus.

Once you're done with your cut, I'd stay at maintenance for a week or two so your body adapts to the increased calories. Once you have maintained a weight and know if you're at maintenance, bump your calories 300 and monitor weight.
    It main seem stupid, but I just realized two pounds a month is actually 7000 calories burned/foregone a week. Here I am thinking I am eating in strictly a 500 calorie deficit. I find it hard to believe my maintenance is so high and it would mean I'd need to eat around 2800 calories to gain two pounds a month. That just seems excessive and I don't see how I can eat that much food.

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    It makes less of a water weight spike, which can make it easier to find actual rate of gain; but it is personal preference.

Gaining 4 pounds would lead to more fat than needed, 2 pounds would allow for a longer and leaner bulk.
    Would reverse dieting allow me to adjust to eating so mcuh food? I feel like I have been cutting for so long that I 'forgot' how to eat high calories.

Also, a .5 gain a week would be roughly a 250 surplus correct?

Again, thanks guys. I am really excited to start my first bulk and really see my lifts and strength go up. Just want to do this right.

Yes, it could allow you to build back to a more volumous intake more comfortably, or you could just eat more calorie dense foods. ~250 surplus for .5 pounds per week, yes.

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Yes, it could allow you to build back to a more volumous intake more comfortably, or you could just eat more calorie dense foods. ~250 surplus for .5 pounds per week, yes.
    And it'sn true if I am losing 2 pounds a week that means I am eating in a 1000 calorie deficit? My maintenance is really 2800? That seems so high

Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    And it'sn true if I am losing 2 pounds a week that means I am eating in a 1000 calorie deficit? My maintenance is really 2800? That seems so high
    Yes. I told you that earlier.
    New England Patriot
    MISC Dynasty League Champion 2018