pieyum has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pieyum has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pieyum has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pieyum has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pieyum has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pieyum has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pieyum has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pieyum has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pieyum has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pieyum has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pieyum has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up just starting, is taking protein and creatine worth it?

im 17 and just started to lift (bulking), im beginning to adjust my diet and was considering buying whey protein and/or creatine to help me out

do any of you guys out there take protein/creatine and are the benefits worth it? also when and how often do you guys take it?

protein: i was thinking one in the morning erryday and one after workout
    creatine: after workouts only

tips? suggestions?

AthelianOG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Take both but going to stop taking creatine this week. Not seeing any benefits from it!

I take a protein shake twice a day one with my breakfast and one on the walk home from the gym. I use it more to hit my protein target, never realy went without it so couldnt say if it is completely necessary but gives me an extra 50gr + exra instead of having to eat more!

EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by pieyum View Post
    im 17 and just started to lift (bulking), im beginning to adjust my diet and was considering buying whey protein and/or creatine to help me out

do any of you guys out there take protein/creatine and are the benefits worth it? also when and how often do you guys take it?

tips? suggestions?

Creatine = yes, worth it. 3-5g daily
    Protein = yes, if you have trouble meeting your protein requirements.

It doesn't matter when you take them, take creatine at the most convinient time for you, there are no benefits of taking it after a workout. The main thing is getting your muscles saturated with creatine, this occurs no matter what part of the day you take it.

EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AthelianOG View Post
    Take both but going to stop taking creatine this week. Not seeing any benefits from it!

How long have you been using creatine, define benefits.

xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by EddiePer View Post
    How long have you been using creatine, define benefits.
    Yo, can u help me with somethin`?

Originally Posted by xHiroko View Post
    Yo, can u help me with somethin`?

Ask away brotha

Bigtoph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're just starting off, don't bother with the creatine because your muscles will produce enough naturally on their own. Take one protein shake per day and allow your stomach to adjust gradually to the new diet, because protein is difficult to break down in large quantities if you've never been on a high protein diet before. Also, you don't want to overdo the protein. If you eat too much protein, your body will turn it into fat via a process known as gluconeogenesis, which is the breakdown of amino acids into glucose which can then be used as energy as well as storage. The best time to take your shake is within 30 minutes of a workout, or first thing in the morning. The goal is to elevate your blood protein levels so that there is enough protein to repair whatever damage there is to your muscles. If you are bulking, you should be eating anywhere from 1.5 to 2 grams of protein for every pound of bodyweight you have. For example, if you weigh 150lbs, you should be eating anywhere from 225-300 grams of protein per day depending on your training intensity. No offense, but if you are just starting out, your workouts are probably not all that intense yet. Intensity in bodybuilding is closely related to experience. Thus, stick to the 225g of protein per day to start. That means eating five or six meals per day, each containing 40-50g of protein.

If you really want to make a difference with your body, you need to invest in some literature on nutrition and lifting. A good lifting book is "Strength Training Anatomy" which is a very informative illustrated book on muscle groups, excercise, and human physiology. For nutrition, check out the Franco Columbu book "Bodybuilding Nutrition". It will help you kickstart your eating habits in the right direction and answer all the questions you will have, including the one you posted here.

Best of luck!

xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xHiroko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ask away brotha
    Ok thanks bro !
    So first off, I'd like to ask if peanut butter is ok to eat, it has a lot of protein but damn rich in fat and I easily hit 61g fat in a single day!!
    Second thing is, do you count protein from oats?
    Third, is it true if ur on a drastic calorie deficit u'll be a skinny fat than ripped? Heard that from some people, dunno if true though.

Thanks!

Ok thanks bro !
    So first off, I'd like to ask if peanut butter is ok to eat, it has a lot of protein but damn rich in fat and I easily hit 61g fat in a single day!!
    Second thing is, do you count protein from oats?
    Third, is it true if ur on a drastic calorie deficit u'll be a skinny fat than ripped? Heard that from some people, dunno if true though.

Thanks!

Peanut butter is high in fat but these are healthy fats, so yes I would eat peanut butter. Everyday I get at least 2-3tbsp of it. 61g of fat isn't a lot. I get in 55g everyday and we are the same height. Remember excess calories make you gain weight (not dietary fat) as long as you are in a calorie deficit you won't gain any weight even if you getting in 100g of fat.

Yes you count protein from oats and any other traces of protein. Protein is protein.

Well it really depends on the individual, I wouldn't go too drastic of a deficit unless you are really over weight. The larger the deficit, the more muscle you risk losing and it's harder to build muscle than it is to lose fat. Remember that. Also, if you cut too hard from the start then your hardly going to have any room to lower calories even more once you plateau (which you will) usually every 4-6 weeks. So it is wise to cut with the most amount of calories as you possibly can while still losing weight at an optimal rate.

Peanut butter is high in fat but these are healthy fats, so yes I would eat peanut butter. Everyday I get at least 2-3tbsp of it. 61g of fat isn't a lot. I get in 55g everyday and we are the same height. Remember excess calories make you gain weight (not dietary fat) as long as you are in a calorie deficit you won't gain any weight even if you getting in 100g of fat.

Yes you count protein from oats and any other traces of protein. Protein is protein.

Well it really depends on the individual, I wouldn't go too drastic of a deficit unless you are really over weight. The larger the deficit, the more muscle you risk losing and it's harder to build muscle than it is to lose fat. Remember that. Also, if you cut too hard from the start then your hardly going to have any room to lower calories even more once you plateau (which you will) usually every 4-6 weeks. So it is wise to cut with the most amount of calories as you possibly can while still losing weight at an optimal rate.
    Oh, ok, well yeah I'm still on a -550 deficit even with all the fats I eat, glad to know it won't make me fat in any way!
    2-3 tbsp of peanut butter daily? I'm gonna try the same thing then.
    What kinda peanut butter is that? Mine is Skippy Peanut Butter.

Good to know I can count oats protein and some other sources.
    I was concerned that I don't eat enough protein according to some randoms claiming bullshyt.
    Now I can relax.

Yes, I agree with you, drastic deficit isn't good and in risk of losing muscles.
    I don't think I'm over-weight but I try hit my daily total calories, everyday I aim for a -550 deficit but always end up -900 deficit.
    I honestly don't know what makes me not eat, it's not that I try to hit -900, I naturally get there LOL.

Life's weird.

Oh, ok, well yeah I'm still on a -550 deficit even with all the fats I eat, glad to know it won't make me fat in any way!
    2-3 tbsp of peanut butter daily? I'm gonna try the same thing then.
    What kinda peanut butter is that? Mine is Skippy Peanut Butter.

Good to know I can count oats protein and some other sources.
    I was concerned that I don't eat enough protein according to some randoms claiming bullshyt.
    Now I can relax.

Yes, I agree with you, drastic deficit isn't good and in risk of losing muscles.
    I don't think I'm over-weight but I try hit my daily total calories, everyday I aim for a -550 deficit but always end up -900 deficit.
    I honestly don't know what makes me not eat, it's not that I try to hit -900, I naturally get there LOL.

Life's weird.

Lol if you have trouble getting there peanut butter is a perfect to add since its high calorie. I don't remember the peanut butter I buy, but I like the way the natural ones taste (just because they say natural in the front, doesn't mean their it's really natural) lol. If you want to make sure check the back and in the ingredients all it should say is "peanuts" with the exemption of salt. It should have oil floating on top.

I suppose it doesn't matter but natural peanut butter tastes awesome.

Lol if you have trouble getting there peanut butter is a perfect to add since its high calorie. I don't remember the peanut butter I buy, but I like the way the natural ones taste (just because they say natural in the front, doesn't mean their it's really natural) lol. If you want to make sure check the back and in the ingredients all it should say is "peanuts" with the exemption of salt. It should have oil floating on top.

I suppose it doesn't matter but natural peanut butter tastes awesome.
    Oh crap! mine has some other shyt in it.

That's a good idea! to eat some more peanut butter, first I gotta get the natural one!
    Thanks a lot bro!
    You helped a lot.

!!!

CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500)
    Wow total thread jack.

I've yet to take creatine, but it's really cheap so I don't see any reason not to take it.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154949233

LiftCore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftCore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftCore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftCore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftCore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftCore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftCore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftCore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftCore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftCore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftCore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Strong thread hijack by Hiroko lol.

OP take creatine if you want, it's not going to make an astounding difference and take protein if you have trouble meeting protein requirements or getting in hgh quality protein sources, but just remember it's not going to matter if you're not in a caloric surplus.
    Φ United Misc Frat Φ

shane985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shane985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shane985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shane985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shane985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shane985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shane985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shane985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shane985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shane985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shane985 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    when i had more then one shake a day my sweat smelt like amonia because i was either over exerting myself or didnt have enough carbs cause thats your bodies energy source remember to have a balanced diet. I also dont see any downside to taking protein or creatine first of all cause you already nee protein in your body so your just helping out and creating if you take to much you just pee it out, I usually take creatine a little while before a workout on a almost empty stomach so it can process and i can use the energy boost for the workout

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by pieyum View Post

tips? suggestions?
    Firstly, you don't need to be taking protein. Unless you have a hard time eating enough whole food/foods.

secondly, there's no real "benefits" to taking whey.

You don't need to take it before/after your workout.

Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    Firstly, you don't need to be taking protein. Unless you have a hard time eating enough whole food/foods.

secondly, there's no real "benefits" to taking whey.

You don't need to take it before/after your workout.

I'm going to have to disagree, whey is the most anabolic source of protein known to man.

Originally Posted by CupcakeSquats View Post
    Wow total thread jack.

I've yet to take creatine, but it's really cheap so I don't see any reason not to take it.

Lol I didn't notice that, but we did answer OP's question. Lol

Oh crap! mine has some other shyt in it.

That's a good idea! to eat some more peanut butter, first I gotta get the natural one!
    Thanks a lot bro!
    You helped a lot.

!!!

Anytime man

carolpalmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes it is worth the intake