Page 30 of 58 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast
    annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Surgery

Well, it's been 5 days since my surgery and I haven't felt any significant amount of pain... I would say the greatest pain I have felt is about 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. However I have been concerned about other things not related with pain, for example on the first day of my surgery my leg was numb and I thought my leg would be numb for the rest of my life but the following day the numbness was gone. I have also been concerned about the presence of seroma on my scrotum and lower abdomen but the seroma has been decreasing. Now I'm concerned because I have been feeling pulling down sensations where the hernia was! the feeling is almost identical to the one I used to experience whenever the hernia was about to come out! is this normal? is this the mesh?

Thank you

annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annynickname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jaserb1 View Post
    Hi there,
    I know this is a bit of a long shot due to the time lapse but I'm in the exact same situation as you were. I'm due the op for the hernia in my groin in 2 days time and wandered how you got on? How long before you could go to the gym again?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Hi Jaserb, I wish you the best of the lucks with your surgery! I wish I could answer your questions however my surgery was only 5 days ago so I'm not in position of accurately answering to your questions however I think I could go back to the gym right now! since the pain I'm feeling is almost non existent... However I know it wouldn't be wise to go back to the gym at this moment... I think we should wait at least 3 weeks in order to go back to the gym to do cardio! now, if we are talking about lifting weights then I would wait at least 6 weeks .

God be with you.

Walking

Guys I have another question.... Is it ok to walk 2 or 3 miles a day if I'm not feeling much pain?

RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by annynickname View Post
    Guys I have another question.... Is it ok to walk 2 or 3 miles a day if I'm not feeling much pain?
    walking is very recommended for blood flow and also for not letting the surgery area siffen up..so walk by all means 2 to 3 miles

Thank you RemusMax for the reply... I was concerned that walking 2 or 3 miles at this point, could tear the mesh..

I also have another question for you!// I'm concerned because I see some swollenness on my lower abdomen, I don't know if this is what they call "healing ridge".... I'm concerned because the swollenness decreases when I lay down just like a reducible hernia does! Also, I was touching the left side of my lower abdomen and I feel some "fatness" under the skin... is this the mesh? if so, does this mean that the left side of my lower abdomen will always be a little bit inflamed?

Thank you

SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you RemusMax for the reply... I was concerned that walking 2 or 3 miles at this point, could tear the mesh..

I also have another question for you!// I'm concerned because I see some swollenness on my lower abdomen, I don't know if this is what they call "healing ridge".... I'm concerned because the swollenness decreases when I lay down just like a reducible hernia does! Also, I was touching the left side of my lower abdomen and I feel some "fatness" under the skin... is this the mesh? if so, does this mean that the left side of my lower abdomen will always be a little bit inflamed?

Thank you
    Annynick, where did you have your surgery done? It's really surprising that they did not tell you more about what to expect. My facility supplied writeups about the procedure and what to expect, and my surgeon also gave some advice. Your questions indicate that nobody told you much about anything. No offense, but they are surprising.

The mesh is generally not "tearable". It would break free before it tore. It is laid in to place over the hernia hole and your body will grab on to it and lock it in to place within about two to three weeks. In the first days after surgery there will be lots of swelling and fluid buildup since the surgeon had to create a cavity to place the mesh in to. Walking is good for moving that fluid around so that the body can get rid of it. It will take a week or two at least for most of the swelling to go away and things will be soft for about three to four weeks.

Any healing ridge that you see would be more of a long-term scar, it's way too early for you. Really, it's way too early for you to tell much about how well the surgery worked or what to expect. Take it easy, take some walks and see how you feel, and keep walking if it works for you. When I was healing up, I felt like walking across the country. More was better. It took a few months though before I could button the top button on my jeans. Even after things felt tight and healed my abdomen was still somewhat swollen. Now I'm back to normal, but I wondered for quite a while.

Since you also had testicular problems though, you might want to get better advice about walking, or anything that jostles them around. Most hernia surgery doesn't disturb the spermatic cord itself but it sounds like your surgery may have. You should call your surgeon and ask him/her. They would know best.

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So I had to put off my surgery due to work until March 7th. It's given me time to think about something though. I read a lot of forums and hear many people say they still get some twinges now and then, pulling etc... even years later; and some say they stopped doing deads and squats. Do you ever fully recover...100%? Will I ever deadlift again? Mine are not causing very much pain or discomfort, I just have 2 lumps in my lower abs and can feel the holes there. Do I skip it or are they just going to get worse?
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

ATXsg3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATXsg3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATXsg3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATXsg3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATXsg3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATXsg3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATXsg3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATXsg3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATXsg3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATXsg3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ATXsg3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Quick questions guys. When your first started experiencing your symptoms, did you go see your GP or did you go see a Physical Therapist first. I've been experiencing a dull pressure/pain in my lower-left abdominal region for a few months. I have no visible bulge, but have many of the symptoms that most have stated. I'm worried that my GP will just shrug it off as a strain. Thinking maybe a Physical Therapist might be better to see.

I appreciate any insight!
    Bench- 315lbs
    Squat- 350lbs
    Deadlift- 365lbs

Currently on operation destroy lower body. Focused years on upper body when I was younger, paying for the chicken legs now.

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^^I saw my GP first as it is a very easy check to find out if you have a hernia. They are usually pretty easy/obvious to detect.
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Doctors are trained in how to diagnose a hernia. A PT, maybe not.

RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RemusMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by smokinal View Post
    So I had to put off my surgery due to work until March 7th. It's given me time to think about something though. I read a lot of forums and hear many people say they still get some twinges now and then, pulling etc... even years later; and some say they stopped doing deads and squats. Do you ever fully recover...100%? Will I ever deadlift again? Mine are not causing very much pain or discomfort, I just have 2 lumps in my lower abs and can feel the holes there. Do I skip it or are they just going to get worse?
    If u already have lump buddy.. even if u take time off, the inguinal ring will not ever close cuz is already a hole adn gut always comes thru it and it cant heal and close back. U doing weights that will force gut to come out so there is no chance to heal. that is one... and two.. having a surgery u have a much better chance in doing squats and deadlifts then u would with not having the surgery.. deadlifting adn squats forcde the gut to go out thru the inguinal ring.. so u cnat heal the area and it also gets worse in time. the recovery really depends on individual and phisical therapy really.. also on the surgery. U Have NO gurantee that u will be 100 percent again. but u have a better chance with a surgery then without one. if u let it heal and slowly progress back up also doing lot of swimming and doing exercises in pool and phisyo therapy u have a great chance to recover it. IS farelly an easy injury and surgery. A lot of athletes have acl injuries and back surgeries and they come back even strtonger because they dont accept no for an answer and they recover it with professionals. some do recover, some dont. it all depends in u and ur mental. If u dont want to be mr olympia u will be back , so should be ok if u do the right recovery. to get that area stronger and also loose cuz it stiffens up. Respect the time and u may get back if u really want to but is a long road and lot of work. if u just want to be fit is easy. or be an accountant at a chair is also simple, no problem. but any surgery i dont care how small it is it takes time to recover and surgery to be honest is the easy part.. after surgery recovery with a phisio therapyst days in days out is CRUCIAL and is most important. Go by feel dont rush it and do recovery! if u choose surgery that is. If not , i would be shocked to be honest if ur inguinal ring will close back up, specially at ur stage with lumps already. so ur just postponing it from my point of view. take ur time do more research and talk to more doctors. is ur choice..i just leave it out there how i felt about ur situation or any inguinal hernia surgery X

There are two types of hernia, indirect and direct. The inguinal ring that Remus writes about is involved with an indirect hernia, and can lead to material in the scrotum, through the inguinal canal. Direct hernias push directly through the abdominal wall and cause material to be pushed out under the skin on the wrong side of the muscle wall. They're different animals.

I had a direct hernia and it got bigger. But I was playing sports afterward, to see if I could live with it, and during games things were happening that I didn't fully realize until later. In retrospect I wish that I hadn't played, and had just had it fixed early while it was small. The extra crap that got pushed out seems to one of my biggest problems now. It's taking a long time to be reincorporated, if that's what is happening.

Personally, I wouldn't take the advice of any single person on forums like this. Read back through all of the 881 posts and absorb what you can. None of us are doctors.

If you know some doctors or surgeons or maybe even athletic trainers, ask them. Try to find people who've had the surgery and are actually trained in the medical field. We're just a bunch of guys who wish we were like we used to be.

Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey guys. It seems like I may have caused a hernia in my last deadlift session. I felt a pinch in my lower abdomen. The pain went away after a few minutes and there is no bulge but I'm afraid I might make it worse by continuing to do deadlifts or squats. Should I stop doing them all together? I'm hoping there is a way to improve form or support the area with a truss so I can continue training. Any advice is appreciated

^^^Hey Matt, I'm no Dr but my son had a similar thing happen to him just about 3 weeks ago doing heavy T Bars. Had it checked by 2 Dr's and both said just a muscle strain/slight tear; not a hernia. Said no heavy skwats or deads for 2 months, he does everything else as usual tho. This was his case, not yours but sounds similar. I'd take a few weeks of squats and deads off to rest it and start back in lightly to see how it feels.
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000) Postmanmatt is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^^^Hey Matt, I'm no Dr but my son had a similar thing happen to him just about 3 weeks ago doing heavy T Bars. Had it checked by 2 Dr's and both said just a muscle strain/slight tear; not a hernia. Said no heavy skwats or deads for 2 months, he does everything else as usual tho. This was his case, not yours but sounds similar. I'd take a few weeks of squats and deads off to rest it and start back in lightly to see how it feels.
    Thanks for the reply. Im hoping that's all it was. I bailed on the lift as soon as I felt it. I had a similar thing happen awhile ago. It only happens when I wear a belt on the deadlift. I'm also wondering if strengthening my core will help me prevent hernia's by supporting a weak spot in the abdominal wall?

I asked my surgeon these questions (about a belt and stronger lower abs) and he basically said neither would help. If you're gonna get one, you're gonna get one.
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

BhartiMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy I am hopeless, depressed

Recently i felt a palpable lump bulging on coughing in my right inguinal region.I am yet to get it confirmed by doctor but i am sure i got one too.I am into lifting weights from last 7 years.I am scared to death to lift normal again in future,but i want to lift and never want to give up.I just want to be normal heavy lifter again if i got operated.Will i be able to?I am feeling very low and scared of surgery despite graduating from medical school myself.My better half is cheering me but i am feeling hopeless and scared.

^^I'm the same way MD. Fwiw,I asked my surgeon about that too. He said, really, if it didn't hurt too much, I wouldn't have to have surgery at all. Many people live with hernias and just go about their lives as normal. I told him it's really fukkin with my mind to have 2 holes in me with innards coming out; he said I should prolly get it done then. The way I look at it is this, if I could go on without even having it fixed, then the end result will be even better than it was before. I've had 2 surgeries in the last 2 years and both have been good decisions and came out well. So, let's get this fixed too and move on. I have a lot of years lifting ahead of me.
    I can tell you this; if it's messin with you that much like it is me, your lifting is going to suffer anyway. Might as well get it fixed and stronger than it is now.
    Good luck and keep us posted with what you do.
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Any suggestions to improve workouts with an inguinal hernia?

Doc tells me I should have surgery, but it's not possible until at least next summer.

I had some other issues that kept me out of the gym for a while and I really want to get back into it, but without aggravating my hernia.

A personal trainer friend told me to "just wear a belt for everything" but that seems kinda simple.

Thanks!
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***
    *** Scandinavian Misc Crew ***

"Everything you do, every single decision you make, either takes you a step closer or a step further from your goal. You either grow or you regress; nothing stands still."

Question

Thank you to all users who have kindly answered my questions..

My surgery was 2 weeks ago and during these 2 weeks I haven't had any pain above 2 or 3 in a scale of 1 to 10. Also, the scar is healing pretty well and that's something that surprises me given that I had open surgery and it was my understanding that these type of surgeries leave the patient with a solid scar... having said all this! there's a problem! There is a hard lump above my left testicle (the hernia was on the left side) it seems like a little pea or maybe a little ball .. Today I had my follow up appointment after the surgery... I had the appointment with a nurse practitioner and she and another nurse practitioner told me that it was normal and also told me that it was probably a blood cloth.... Did any of you guys experience something similar? what can I do to make this blood cloth go away?
    Now... as I said on another post, ... that day of the surgery I also had a surgery in order to fix a retractile testicle... I don't know if this surgery could lead to spermatocele? according to what I've read on the internet, my "hard lump" sounds like a spermatocele ... I asked the nurse practitioner about it and she said that it was likely to be a blood cloth.

What do you guys think?

Thank you for your time.

I think you should listen to the Dr's and not random guys on the interwebz
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd

RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000)
    I know i have one just above my belly button,its not sore but I do know its there.about 3 months ago I went to the hospital to check to see if I have one the doctor said there was nothing there.I know there is something there.it just did not show up on the ultra sound they did as I have belly fat.

I can feel it when i press my fingers just above my belly button.Im trying to lose weight is it ok to do weights if you have a hernia?or should I just concentrate on doing cardio and my diet and trying to lose weight instead of lifting weights?

I also ride a bike as well.

oh and I live in China and Chinese doctors are not the best
    You cant always get what you want,but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need.
    Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Hi Nutir... I think the answer to your question depends on the size of your hernia, it also matters if your hernia is reducible and if it causes you any pain.. .. It also matters what you mean by "workouts" ... do you mean just cardio? or also lift weighting? I think lift weighting in a chair or laying down it's ok if your hernia is reducible and doesn't cause you much pain! I also think cardio is not a problem... and wearing a hernia belt definitely helps... I developed a big hernia last October (about the size of a tennis ball) .. and from that month until this month... I worked out wearing a hernia belt and the hernia didn't' get any bigger.

I wish you the best.

I think you should listen to the Dr's and not random guys on the interwebz
    Thank you smokinal for the reply.. My concern is that I haven't heard nothing about guys having a hard lump after a hernia surgery..

Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hi Nutir... I think the answer to your question depends on the size of your hernia, it also matters if your hernia is reducible and if it causes you any pain.. .. It also matters what you mean by "workouts" ... do you mean just cardio? or also lift weighting? I think lift weighting in a chair or laying down it's ok if your hernia is reducible and doesn't cause you much pain! I also think cardio is not a problem... and wearing a hernia belt definitely helps... I developed a big hernia last October (about the size of a tennis ball) .. and from that month until this month... I worked out wearing a hernia belt and the hernia didn't' get any bigger.

I wish you the best.
    It's definitely not that big, still a little smaller than a golf ball and reducible.

Cardio was never really a problem, it's mostly me wanting to get back into lifting. I guess I'll try different exercises and see how they feel. Might try and use the TRX a little more and avoid heavier weights for a bit unless seated.

Thanks!
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***
    *** Scandinavian Misc Crew ***

"Everything you do, every single decision you make, either takes you a step closer or a step further from your goal. You either grow or you regress; nothing stands still."

RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000) RobRocks is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have made a desion not to lift weights,but just do cardio only,(it sucks big time)but I do not have the money right now to get an operation.As I live in China I need to find how much this will cost and save up to get it done.

concentrate on losing weight and doing cardio I suppose its better than doing nothing.
    You cant always get what you want,but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need.
    Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

jperrigoue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Update on Descarda repair, please?

Steven, Please give an update on your Descarda repair. I have an inguinal hernia, and am considering Dr Thomas for Descarda repair next week. Can you lift heavy, yet? Any pain? Any reoccurrence?

Thanks. I hope everything is well!

Originally Posted by Loewen.Steven View Post
    I had a dull ache in my apple sack around thanksgiving last year (2013). So I went to the Urologist. I thought that it may have been an std. I was kind of shocked and depressed at the same time when he told me I had a hernia. Anyway, I kept lifting for a week or two after my diagnosis and noticed a bulge above my fun stick. So I started researching this surgery. I ended up getting mine done by Dr Tomas at Ufirst Health in Fort Myers Florida. He uses the no mesh Desarda technique. I have always been in great health and never had a surgery before. So I was nervous! They did my surgery Tuesday 1/28/14, and imediatley had me up out of bed walking post operation. I literally woke up, they wheeled me into the recovery room, sat up drank some water, ate some crackers, took some liquid ********, and got out of bed and walked over to a chair. They let me go back to the hotel about 45 minutes or an hour later. I was not able to drive. Had someone with me to help get me back to my room. After my surgery I was sore but not unbareable. Next day (wed) was pretty rough. I could not get out of bed on my own. It got a little better Thursday. Also went back to dr for post examination Thursday. He was very pleased that there wasn't any bruising. I have kept ice on it since the surgery. Friday I rode in a van back home to Daphne, AL from Fort Myers (11 hours). Today is Saturday. I had a rough time trying to get up out of bed on my own without help last night. Thought that I may have broke some of the stitches b/c it started really burning. I called the nurse and was told that the muscle was stretching against the stitches. I am still on my pain meds (******** 10s, phenegrin, and advil). But I am able to get up and move around ok on my own today with ice. Still walking kind of slow though. I took Colase for bowel movements, and made sure to eat clean. This is VERY important! You don't wanna be constipated with this...bad idea! I have also been taking my multivitamin (Optimen), animal flex, and BCAA (scivation extend). I wanted the desarda b/c I was adament to not put anything foreign in my body. I wish that there were others that have had this same repair to tell me their results. My 1 RM deadlift was 375. Not sure what squat was. I was doing 4 x 5 @305. I think the worst thing for me right now is mental. I am SO pissed off and ready to be back in the gym lifting like normal. Dr said 8 weeks of rest. Can't lift anything heavier than one gallon of milk. He did say I could start running or do eliptical after week 3. After week 8 start at 35-40 lbs with everything and slowly work my way up. After 3 months might be able to lift heavier weight, and after 6 months maybe really heavy again, but he said only with a weight belt. I will leave more feedback in the next few weeks. Also, I have pics of my 2.5 inch incision on my body space page. Please feel free to ask me anything I forgot to mention here. You can send me a msg to my inbox. I can't wait to be one of those motivational transformations of the week. B/c as soon as I'm cleared, I'm on a mission!

Soccerlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soccerlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soccerlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soccerlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soccerlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soccerlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Soccerlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't jump on the forum very often but try to come on here occasionally to give moral support and read about other's experiences. I had an open inguinal repair in 2012 (with umbilical "fix" also for small umbilical which just required a stitch) and open inguinal repair for other side in 2014. I have had days where I don't feel issues at all and other days where I get twinges, etc. Not sure why it happens but getting used to it.

A few weeks ago, I was helping a friend move from his house and a few days after the move I felt some slight burning at one of my scar sites. I can feel a slight bulge under the scar but not sure if it is just an aggravated area and will eventually go away. The burning comes and goes. I went to my primary care doctor and he thinks it is just the scar. He held the scar and had me bear down, etc. and didn't feel any movement. I can't see a bump and if I cough or bear down, I feel the same basic thing on both sides so maybe it is just normal.

As I've mentioned on here before, my bowels changed when I was first diagnosed with my first inguinal hernia in 2012 and have never been the same. I should mention though that I'm in my mid-40s and recently was diagnosed as prediabetic so really it has been a game of trying to figure out what exactly causes the constipation. That comes and goes (excuse the pun) as well and actually was fairly normal for awhile.

For anyone contemplating getting surgery, I would say that there are a few things to ponder and keep in mind. In my opinion, the actual surgery and recovery is the easy part. I think the hard part is accepting that your abdomen has been changed and could mean changes in your life, like digestion issues, slight pain, numbness, etc. With that said, I do not regret getting surgery. There is no way I would be able to continue an active life if I hadn't had surgery. My intestine was pushing thru and visible and my belly button pain was horrible. I'm much better off now. I'll also say that I would have no fear getting another surgery. My surgeries were quick and the recovery period fairly easy. The recovery was more boring for me and a hassle more than anything else. Walking is a great thing though.

Anyway, I hope everyone gets thru their own experiences ok. For anyone getting surgery, you have nothing to worry about. Just remember everyone is different. Sports stars get these type of surgeries all the time.

adammx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bilateral/ time line

Bilateral inguini hernias..

So I'm a military firefighter, I love my job. When I found out I had 2 hernias requiring surgery I freaked. But it seems like it's going pretty well...

Got my surgery at the end of Jan.

Week 1: absolutely insane nerve pain from where they made the incisions. Legitimately felt like someone was taking a ****ing blow torch to my groin and thighs. I found it helped if I supported my balls with my hands. I actually walked out of the hospital just fine and overall was trying to do everything myself.

Week 2: nerve pain went away, finally toon a **** and was able to piss normally. There's so much numbness and swelling those first few days that you can't properly control your bladder and use your stomach muscles to push. Was able to stand up straight. Otherwise felt pretty normal.

Week 3: felt normal with some discomfort, begin running daily.

Fast forward to today (week 5), I was given a clean bill of health from the doctor. I feel more or less the same as the previous weeks just with less discomfort.

I've honestly felt fine since week 2ish to 3. I went back to work a week ago but I expect to be back to full duty in under two months. Will go a light weight workout tomorrow.

Originally Posted by adammx View Post
    Bilateral inguini hernias..

So I'm a military firefighter, I love my job. When I found out I had 2 hernias requiring surgery I freaked. But it seems like it's going pretty well...

Got my surgery at the end of Jan.

Week 1: absolutely insane nerve pain from where they made the incisions. Legitimately felt like someone was taking a ****ing blow torch to my groin and thighs. I found it helped if I supported my balls with my hands. I actually walked out of the hospital just fine and overall was trying to do everything myself.

Week 2: nerve pain went away, finally toon a **** and was able to piss normally. There's so much numbness and swelling those first few days that you can't properly control your bladder and use your stomach muscles to push. Was able to stand up straight. Otherwise felt pretty normal.

Week 3: felt normal with some discomfort, begin running daily.

Fast forward to today (week 5), I was given a clean bill of health from the doctor. I feel more or less the same as the previous weeks just with less discomfort.

I've honestly felt fine since week 2ish to 3. I went back to work a week ago but I expect to be back to full duty in under two months. Will go a light weight workout tomorrow.
    what kind of procedure u had? classical or laparoscopic?

Page 30 of 58 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast