Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    landed an internship with a software company brahs. I know c++ at a sophomore level but they use java, anybody have some good java books they would recommend?
    keep hustling cuz

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DrinkingBull View Post
    landed an internship with a software company brahs. I know c++ at a sophomore level but they use java, anybody have some good java books they would recommend?
    Effective Java

http://www.amazon.com/Effective-Java.../dp/0321356683

Has real good, nuts and bolts advice.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How do you guys plan out how to make a program?

I've been doing intro to java since september and we've been given an assignment that just seems completely way out of ours scope.

its a train seat booking system where the user can choose forward/backward facing seat, window/aisle, table or no table, first class/standard, normal or assisted seating. If the person chooses a seat which is taken then they're put in a txt document waiting list and allows them the seat once someone else cancels. we need to input the seating plan which is in a txt document also to show availability etc.

Idk but this just seems way out of the scope of what we have learned considering we've been doing it 5 months... How do you guys even start to tackle this type of problem? like how do you know what to make a method out of, what to seperate into different classes how to use public/private/static/void etc effectively what variables you're gonna need etc and how would i mock this up in something like UML?

I'm ****ing panicing here because it seems like an impossible task for anybody who's only been doing 1 hours lectures per week for the past 5 months (also many breaks inbetween like chirstmas etc.)
    /

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Didlid View Post

I've been doing intro to java since september and we've been given an assignment that just seems completely way out of ours scope.

its a train seat booking system where the user can choose forward/backward facing seat, window/aisle, table or no table, first class/standard, normal or assisted seating. If the person chooses a seat which is taken then they're put in a txt document waiting list and allows them the seat once someone else cancels. we need to input the seating plan which is in a txt document also to show availability etc.

Idk but this just seems way out of the scope of what we have learned considering we've been doing it 5 months... How do you guys even start to tackle this type of problem? like how do you know what to make a method out of, what to seperate into different classes how to use public/private/static/void etc effectively what variables you're gonna need etc and how would i mock this up in something like UML?

I'm ****ing panicing here because it seems like an impossible task for anybody who's only been doing 1 hours lectures per week for the past 5 months (also many breaks inbetween like chirstmas etc.)
    You build it iteratively. First, build a system that simply allows a user to book a seat. Then add the availability page. Then add the waiting list. Then add the seat specifics one or two at a time.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

uml shmuml

start by drawing **** in your own notation

and start drawing **** by drawing high level **** "here i input ****" "here i process ****" "here i do something else" "here im done and print that user is a *******", public/private and methods are implementation details, think thru the general logic of what youre doing first
    straight white male and proud

fat as fuk and disgust

no hover - no enter thread crew

goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Start with identifying simple things. The specifications are discerned by reading. Nouns are typically data items and verbs will be your methods. Once identified you can create a UML notation and then start with pseudo code or just jump into actually coding it.

If you're really lost then PM the assignment and I can help with the specs and UML. Though you should be able to determine the specs and perhaps compare it to what others arrive at.

zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Doesn't seem too complicated brah, just clear your mind and break down the program into separate functions. My last C++ class had us do job inventory system with reports, item input from file, selling items and management in general within 5 weeks of class. This is perhaps one of the most important skills, being able to plan accordingly and deploy the idea.

Originally Posted by Sergis View Post
    uml shmuml

and start drawing **** by drawing high level **** "here i input ****" "here i process ****" "here i do something else" "here im done and print that user is a *******", public/private and methods are implementation details, think thru the general logic of what youre doing first
    Yeah, this. srs. I usually do it in my head, unless something gets complex then I have a giant whiteboard in my room where I draw things out.

Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Didlid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GreenWave1 View Post
    You build it iteratively. First, build a system that simply allows a user to book a seat. Then add the availability page. Then add the waiting list. Then add the seat specifics one or two at a time.
    See i would do that but i don't know how to create the 2d array which stores the seating plan from an input file. Without that i can't even build the rest of the system.
    I've wrote a list down of things which i think need to be methods but stuck on how to design the data structures and how the flow of the thing will go.

uml shmuml

We need to use UML to meet the first part of the requirement brah, i wrote a little plan but i dont see how it fits together. We should have something similar to this to submit with the program itself.

I'm not 100% on how i break the components down into different methods though as we haven't been shown that and every extra reading i've done assumes im so hot **** programmer lol.

Originally Posted by goblin6 View Post
    Start with identifying simple things. The specifications are discerned by reading. Nouns are typically data items and verbs will be your methods. Once identified you can create a UML notation and then start with pseudo code or just jump into actually coding it.

If you're really lost then PM the assignment and I can help with the specs and UML. Though you should be able to determine the specs and perhaps compare it to what others arrive at.
    Thank you i'll have a look and get back to you.

I don't want somebody doing my coursework for me but a little help with what i should be splitting into different methods/functions/data structures or whatever would be nice.

Also how would i go about putting something like this into an array and changing if a seat is booked or not?
    seating plan is similar to this

Code:
    1A 2A 3A T 4A  DOOR  5A T 6A 7A T 8A 9A 10A      DOOR                  14A T 15A
    1B 2B 3B T 4B         5B T 6B 7B T 8B 9B 10B                            14B T 15B
    ========================================================================
            3C T 4C                                                     12C T 13C 14C 15C
            3D T 4D  DOOR  5D 6D T 7D 8D T 9D 10D 11D           DOOR      12D T 13D 14D 15D
    t is a table btw. Obviously its not formatted correctly cause of bb.com but im sure you'll get the idea
    /

zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zinkhan99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I don't want somebody doing my coursework for me but a little help with what i should be splitting into different methods/functions/data structures or whatever would be nice.

Also how would i go about putting something like this into an array and changing if a seat is booked or not?
    seating plan is similar to this

Code:
    1A 2A 3A T 4A  DOOR  5A T 6A 7A T 8A 9A 10A      DOOR                  14A T 15A
    1B 2B 3B T 4B         5B T 6B 7B T 8B 9B 10B                            14B T 15B
    ========================================================================
            3C T 4C                                                     12C T 13C 14C 15C
            3D T 4D  DOOR  5D 6D T 7D 8D T 9D 10D 11D           DOOR      12D T 13D 14D 15D
    Look up multi dimensional arrays then brah. Create the array structure so they make the most sense. It's nothing else, but char[][] where you have two levels. Categorize them by rows then by seats. I.E. char[][] = new char[15][4] - this means you have 15 rows with 4 possible seats in each.

then loop it over and create rows and seats. For booked seats, I'd honestly create a separate array to keep track of it with more info per booking. Or if you went over objects already then create a two dimensional array of objects where you store booking status for each seat as well.

It depends how you are going to use the booking data later on, each use case will have strengths and weaknesses to each approach thus the charts and planning you are doing.

Originally Posted by zinkhan99 View Post
    Look up multi dimensional arrays then brah. Create the array structure so they make the most sense. It's nothing else, but char[][] where you have two levels. Categorize them by rows then by seats. I.E. char[][] = new char[15][4] - this means you have 15 rows with 4 possible seats in each.

then loop it over and create rows and seats. For booked seats, I'd honestly create a separate array to keep track of it with more info per booking. Or if you went over objects already then create a two dimensional array of objects where you store booking status for each seat as well.

It depends how you are going to use the booking data later on, each use case will have strengths and weaknesses to each approach thus the charts and planning you are doing.
    Thanks, yeah i have learned about 2d arrays i think my main concern is how im gonna specify if its next to a aisle or window etc. Should i just leave out the doors/tables in my array and whenever i want a certain seat for example
    3A just do seats[0][3] to get it from there? then how would i specify that 3A is a window seat which is in first class with easy access seating plus front facing for example? This stuff is really out of the scope of what we've learnt and i've attended every single lecture + tutorial + extra reading + extra classes yet i still don't feel comfortable with it.
    /

MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am a TPM and have worked for mostly Fortune 100 companies.
    What languages do you know?

Nothing object oriented. Does SQL count ?
    What is your favorite language?

SQL because I ****ing love data
    Are you a member of the PC Gaming Master Race?
    No

Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Congrats. Post Bach doesn't require any previous CS experience though? Wish colleges around here offered that. I wanted to go back for CS Masters program but I graduated over a decade ago so none of my previous courses count so they won't admit me. Was hoping to brush up on my CS degree and hopefully get some sort of experience to try and break into dev work.
    Nope, no previous CS experience required. It's an online program but you take the same courses as on-campus students and earn the same degree.

Post-bacc is great because you don't have to waste time/tuition on arbitrarily redoing freshman level general requirements that you did the first time around. There was no way I was going to spend two years and tens of thousands of dollars taking physics, econ, and english 101 again. I already did all of that for my first degree, so there's no reason why I should have to do that all over again; it's nothing but a shameless cash-grab by universities. With post-bacc you can focus on the two years worth of classes that actually matter without the fluff.

If you're interested you should definitely look into it.
    Carpe diem

LivingyourLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LivingyourLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LivingyourLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LivingyourLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LivingyourLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LivingyourLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LivingyourLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LivingyourLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LivingyourLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LivingyourLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LivingyourLife has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Don't tell anyone I said this, but you can do the UML after you write your program lol. No, but seriously the point of doing the UML is so you can break down the problem. It seems really complex to you right now, but programming is making really complicated problems into really simple ones. All you do is identify a small problem you need to solve within the bigger one. Ie. you mentioned the user has some choices. Well a good approach would be to make a function/class to retrieve your users choice. From there you can ask yourself what each possible choice does, and implement them one by one.

If things still seem to complicated, break your initial problem into smaller problems, and then those problems into even smaller problems. Just find the simplest thing you can do to write your program, and get going.

Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sergis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    We need to use UML to meet the first part of the requirement brah, SCARY ASS PICTURE
    you can still start with your own drawing just so you have a clear picture of the thing on paper and hopefully in your head, then either make it into uml and then code or code and make uml based on the code

no need to go all formal 100% uml right away

fat as fuk and disgust

Thanks, yeah i have learned about 2d arrays i think my main concern is how im gonna specify if its next to a aisle or window etc. Should i just leave out the doors/tables in my array and whenever i want a certain seat for example
    3A just do seats[0][3] to get it from there? then how would i specify that 3A is a window seat which is in first class with easy access seating plus front facing for example? This stuff is really out of the scope of what we've learnt and i've attended every single lecture + tutorial + extra reading + extra classes yet i still don't feel comfortable with it.
    Seems like an array of objects is what you should be doing imo. Been a while since I was doing anything Java related so not sure if that would be correct

public Seat(int i, char t){
    this.id = String.valueOf(i) + String.valueOf(t); // for reference, denormalize for display
    this.window = false;
    this.booked = false;

//etc. you could use some algorithm to determine your other seat criteria instead of mapping it manually
    }

then create a static and initialize

Seat[][] = new Seat[15][4];

for(your loop - i){
    for(your loop for A,B,C,D seats - t){
    Seat[i][t] = new Seat(i,t);
    }

}

Something of that sort, can't remember if that's how you created objects in Java so make sure to double check. Been a while

goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Would help if you knew the data type of the array. You could use a 2d array of type string. Each char can represent some. W=window, A=aisle, B= booked, F=1st class, B=business etc. So parse the string by each char and go from there. Or a multi dimension char array doing the same and no string processing. Or you can have multiple parallel arrays. Their related based on the position in array. One array could be whether the seat is booked.

You should make a 2d array though that represents the seat layout. Columns 0 and 6 are obviously window seats. Rows 0-3 are 1st class, etc. But without knowing the exact specifics we can't really help you in the design of the array.

Code:
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []

[] []   [] [] []   [] []
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []

Would help if you knew the data type of the array. You could use a 2d array of type string. Each char can represent some. W=window, A=aisle, B= booked, F=1st class, B=business etc. So parse the string by each char and go from there. Or a multi dimension char array doing the same and no string processing. Or you can have multiple parallel arrays. Their related based on the position in array. One array could be whether the seat is booked.

You should make a 2d array though that represents the seat layout. Columns 0 and 6 are obviously window seats. Rows 0-3 are 1st class, etc. But without knowing the exact specifics we can't really help you in the design of the array.

Code:
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []

[] []   [] [] []   [] []
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []
     [] []   [] [] []   [] []
    Thanks i'll look into those, what do you mean you need to know the data type of the array? Couldn't it just be string if its gonna store 1a 2a 3a 1b 2b 3b etc? It's gotta read what i posted above from an input file i think then process it from there. I'll have to copy my array to make waiting lists and stuff too i think.
    Seems like an array of objects is what you should be doing imo. Been a while since I was doing anything Java related so not sure if that would be correct

public Seat(int i, char t){
    this.id = String.valueOf(i) + String.valueOf(t); // for reference, denormalize for display
    this.window = false;
    this.booked = false;

//etc. you could use some algorithm to determine your other seat criteria instead of mapping it manually
    }

then create a static and initialize

Seat[][] = new Seat[15][4];

for(your loop - i){
    for(your loop for A,B,C,D seats - t){
    Seat[i][t] = new Seat(i,t);
    }

}

Something of that sort, can't remember if that's how you created objects in Java so make sure to double check. Been a while
    Thanks i'll have a look into that tomorrow, a lecturer said we could use something called a 'collection' but i'm not sure what that is as we haven't covered it.

you can still start with your own drawing just so you have a clear picture of the thing on paper and hopefully in your head, then either make it into uml and then code or code and make uml based on the code

no need to go all formal 100% uml right away
    Yeah i know that but i think if i got something down design wise first it would help tremendously with the programming side. I done decent in the last coursework just programming as i went along but that was without classes/user-defined methods/arrays.

Originally Posted by LivingyourLife View Post
    Don't tell anyone I said this, but you can do the UML after you write your program lol. No, but seriously the point of doing the UML is so you can break down the problem. It seems really complex to you right now, but programming is making really complicated problems into really simple ones. All you do is identify a small problem you need to solve within the bigger one. Ie. you mentioned the user has some choices. Well a good approach would be to make a function/class to retrieve your users choice. From there you can ask yourself what each possible choice does, and implement them one by one.

If things still seem to complicated, break your initial problem into smaller problems, and then those problems into even smaller problems. Just find the simplest thing you can do to write your program, and get going.
    Thanks man i'll try and have a solid go at breaking everything down tomorrow it's just hard as hell to figure out where to start.
    /

Thanks i'll look into those, what do you mean you need to know the data type of the array? Couldn't it just be string if its gonna store 1a 2a 3a 1b 2b 3b etc? It's gotta read what i posted above from an input file i think then process it from there. I'll have to copy my array to make waiting lists and stuff too i think.
    Using a simple string array to represent multiple data items is an inelegant solution and can bind the data together too tightly. It's not good practice and violates several objectives of OOP. How are you gonna have private data types and restrict access to them?

As zinkhan99 said an array of objects would be your best solution. You make not have learned about them yet though. But you could have a Seat object and set various properties.

Do you have the file from which you are supposed to read from? It's formatting could help you determine what structures to use.

You also might want to start an independent thread in this section rather than clogging this one up though.

SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Does anyone here think they have 50+ design patterns in their head?
    Best lifts:
    Bench press: 315x4, 345x1
    Squat: 465x1
    Strict press: 185x8, 195x5, 215x1
    Deadlift: 405x13 (conv tap'n'go with straps)

SCAR-H is a name known to all. (+5000) SCAR-H is a name known to all. (+5000) SCAR-H is a name known to all. (+5000) SCAR-H is a name known to all. (+5000) SCAR-H is a name known to all. (+5000) SCAR-H is a name known to all. (+5000) SCAR-H is a name known to all. (+5000) SCAR-H is a name known to all. (+5000) SCAR-H is a name known to all. (+5000) SCAR-H is a name known to all. (+5000) SCAR-H is a name known to all. (+5000)
    {u'results': [{u'keywords_result': {}, u'alternatives': [{u'timestamps': [[u'your', 0.43, 0.58], [u'friend', 0.58, 0.86]], u'confidence': 0.439, u'transcript': u'your friend '}, {u'transcript': u'actor Frank that '}, {u'transcript': u'actor Frank '}, {u'transcript': u'actor friend '}, {u'transcript': u'actor frankly '}], u'final': True}, {u'keywords_result': {u'this': [{u'normalized_text': u'this', u'start_time': 4.12, u'confidence': 0.949, u'end_time': 4.36}]}, u'alternatives': [{u'timestamps': [[u"it's", 1.28, 1.37], [u'none', 1.37, 1.61], [u'of', 1.61, 1.69], [u'your', 1.69, 1.82], [u'business', 1.82, 2.24], [u'got', 2.27, 2.47], [u'it', 2.47, 2.72], [u'excuse', 2.97, 3.62], [u'me', 3.62, 4.09], [u'this', 4.12, 4.36], [u'is', 4.36, 4.48], [u'not', 4.48, 4.66], [u'about', 4.66, 4.87], [u'protecting', 4.87, 5.37], [u'my', 5.37, 5.58], [u'friend', 5.58, 6.18]], u'confidence': 0.955, u'transcript': u"it's none of your business got it excuse me this is not about protecting my friend "}, {u'transcript': u'none of your business got it excuse me this is not about protecting my friend '}, {u'transcript': u'is none of your business got it excuse me this is not about protecting my friend '}, {u'transcript': u"it's none of your business that it excuse me this is not about protecting my friend "}, {u'transcript': u"it's none of your business got it excuse me this is not about protecting my friend he "}], u'final': True}, {u'keywords_result': {}, u'alternatives': [{u'timestamps': [], u'confidence': 0.0, u'transcript': u'ha '}, {u'transcript': u'whole '}, {u'transcript': u'hello '}, {u'transcript': u'ha ha '}, {u'transcript': u'hot '}], u'final': True}], u'result_index': 0}

What's with the 'u' before each key name?

This is in Python btw. Not until I realised Python reads json as a dictionary did it become easier to work with.

Still brb ['key1'][i]['key2'][j]['key3'][k]
    u wot m8
    War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength.

BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SaviorSelfJT View Post
    There's a reference chart somewhere online that really helps you choose the right pattern for the right specifications.

SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SCAR-H View Post
    What's with the 'u' before each key name?

This is in Python btw. Not until I realised Python reads json as a dictionary did it become easier to work with.

Still brb ['key1'][i]['key2'][j]['key3'][k]
    u wot m8
    {u'wot': ['m', 8]}

I believe the u is to say the string is unicode.

Originally Posted by BDub85 View Post
    There's a reference chart somewhere online that really helps you choose the right pattern for the right specifications.
    I read something that said a good developer has around that number ready to go in the head. I was wondering how true it was.
    Best lifts:

Tfw your school sucks all the fun out of programming... Had to pick a minor, I am pursuing my BA degree only part time while working in the field already. Taking Web scripting, and professor is all anal about everything, requiring essays based on our programming and more... To top that, our final project is supposed to be a shopping platform coded only on the client side, with registration and authentication capabilities via cookies. Who the fukk teaches things like that ?? Seriously, this is against any practical use of web development and will just confuse the students. I feel sorry for all the beginners, from my experience with Online college so far, there are a lot of mediocre people teaching there.

i think i have none

i usually just get the specification and write the code in the most dumbest straightforward way possible (although i still sometimes end up with nested lambdas that id prefer to refactor out)

works so far

fat as fuk and disgust

Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    {u'wot': ['m', 8]}

I believe the u is to say the string is unicode.

I read something that said a good developer has around that number ready to go in the head. I was wondering how true it was.

Most people probably know plenty of design patterns through experience without knowing the official name for it, one day you could just sitting there caching immutable objects to reuse and save memory and without realizing it you've done flyweight pattern for example...
    Misc Global Rep Rankings. Find out where your rep power ranks on the misc.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155785183&p=1243080953&viewfull=1#post1243080953

For source code to the above, go to bitbucket.org/Muckle_ewe.

What kinds of fonts do you use? I've recently taken a likening to 'old ugly' looking mono fonts. Kind of like this:

hnng
    Best lifts:

BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000) BDub85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    mirin dat commenting?

Edit: The entire code ultimately transposes a 2D array (MDB to CSV)
    Last edited by BDub85; 02-19-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Tfw your school sucks all the fun out of programming... Had to pick a minor, I am pursuing my BA degree only part time while working in the field already. Taking Web scripting, and professor is all anal about everything, requiring essays based on our programming and more... To top that, our final project is supposed to be a shopping platform coded only on the client side, with registration and authentication capabilities via cookies. Who the fukk teaches things like that ?? Seriously, this is against any practical use of web development and will just confuse the students. I feel sorry for all the beginners, from my experience with Online college so far, there are a lot of mediocre people teaching there.
    I had a professor (i took CS courses as my additional classes) who was a complete stickler to everything. Code had to be commented correctly, braces in the right place, tabs with right spaces, equals signs lining up on each other in methods, etc. It was a pain at first but towards the end of the semester you start to see merit in it all because our final project involved everyone working on one project.

One student would be in charge of developing a certain framework and others would be in charge of modifications to the code (this forced us to use the correct design patterns like the strategy pattern and factory pattern). If the code wasn't commented or formatted correctly you ran into huge issues, usually involving trying to get a hold of that student to ask wtf he was doing. Overall, it was one of the best real world application classes I've taken.

And any true software company should have style guides to get everyone working on the same page.

I think the professor was trying to shove you into the real world (find solutions on your own/self-learn) much like mine was. Its the best way to teach this chit IMO.

Has anyone ever tried drunk coding before?

Brb wondering why my code isn't compiling, because I didn't even have an ide/terminal open and was just pressing buttons in the VLC media player
    Best lifts:

AppsBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AppsBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AppsBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AppsBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AppsBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AppsBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AppsBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AppsBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AppsBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AppsBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AppsBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BDub85 View Post
    mirin dat commenting?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Dn7DCI9.png[img]

Edit: The entire code ultimately transposes a 2D array (MDB to CSV)
    But who was @returns ? Incomplete doc/10