theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Increasing vertical: How to address some stuff

There was a just recently made thread that's similar to mine in a way but I decided to make one anyway so I can clear some doubts. First of all, I want to say that I can dunk during warm ups but I've never done in an actual game if there's a defender next to me, go for a poster etc because I can't get do the same jump when there's no one around me.

I've trained well this off-season. I've gotten a bit stronger and put on some muscle because I've finally started to eat more properly to gain enough weight. I'm 6 feet tall and I weigh 162 lbs. I can deadlift 265 lbs for 4 reps (haven't tested for 1 RM.. probably is better) and I box squat 225 lbs for 2 strict reps at a box under 12 feet which is few inches below parallel for me. Haven't tested the squat, but I'm sure it's improved because I box squat now what I used to squat couple of months ago (pretty sure I can load more on the bar). And not to forget I can do tire flips with a tire that;s around 250-260 lbs for 3 sets of 4 reps.

However, here's my problem. I want to be able to dunk at will, defender or no defender next to me at any time. How do I address that issue? Also I've to mention that despite tremendous improvement in jumping from both legs, I'm better off as a one legged jumper. So how can I translate that strength into better vertical off a one leg? What adjustments should I make to my training?

I also have to point out that I've done some plyo's. Nothing serious.. just basic vertical jumps and kneeling jumps for 1-3 sets of anywhere from 2-5 reps before squats or deadlifts. I've just started depth drops off two feet. Now.. should I also do single leg plyo's (like let's say depth drops on one leg or stuff) now?

All advice is appreciated.

ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Your over complicating everything. All you need is some basic plyos combined with strength training to make you jump hochet.

PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500)
    6 feet, 162 LBS. Get in the weight room.

theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ballerballer View Post
    Your over complicating everything. All you need is some basic plyos combined with strength training to make you jump hochet.
    Ok.

Originally Posted by PhillipQ25 View Post
    6 feet, 162 LBS. Get in the weight room.
    I've been going there and I will continue.

ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My opinion, just keep working
    you should structure your plyometrics around improving aspects over time
    begin with single jumps, for 3 weeks, say two exercises, 3 sets of 4 reps each for an example
    after, for the next 3 weeks, move to repetitive jumps keeping similar volume (land, react)
    then for the next 3 weeks, move into the shock methods (depth jumps, etc)

as for dunking, you have to practice it to be successful. The fact that you can dunk at 6 ft is impressive. keep working. you may never dunk on somebody, your so tiny (160lbs) that any contact will send you flying and away from the rim. But the more athletic you can become the better you can dunk.

it takes time, just like anything else, to get better at it
    Estimated 1Rep Max at ~204lbs

Squat 370lb (1.71xBW)
    Deadlift 470lb (2.30xBW)
    Bench 265lb (1.30xBW)

-bk

Originally Posted by ByronKelly View Post
    My opinion, just keep working
    you should structure your plyometrics around improving aspects over time
    begin with single jumps, for 3 weeks, say two exercises, 3 sets of 4 reps each for an example
    after, for the next 3 weeks, move to repetitive jumps keeping similar volume (land, react)
    then for the next 3 weeks, move into the shock methods (depth jumps, etc)

as for dunking, you have to practice it to be successful. The fact that you can dunk at 6 ft is impressive. keep working. you may never dunk on somebody, your so tiny (160lbs) that any contact will send you flying and away from the rim. But the more athletic you can become the better you can dunk.

it takes time, just like anything else, to get better at it
    Thanks for the honest comment. I know that I should keep working and as the gains in muscle and strength continue, so will the ability to dunk.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lots of advice here that misses the point entirely. You can dunk. But you can't do it in a game. Plyos are not really the solution. Practice and conditioning are.

If you had a guy who could run a 4.6 forty, but can't run a hole, would you have him spend all of his time getting faster? No, you'd have him practice under pressure.

The training advice here is largely sound and may well help, but not as much as practicing the skill under duress will.

Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    Lots of advice here that misses the point entirely. You can dunk. But you can't do it in a game. Plyos are not really the solution. Practice and conditioning are.

If you had a guy who could run a 4.6 forty, but can't run a hole, would you have him spend all of his time getting faster? No, you'd have him practice under pressure.

The training advice here is largely sound and may well help, but not as much as practicing the skill under duress will.
    That makes sense tbh.

However, I could keep using the advice and continue to improve.