Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Quick question about the weight used in the Power Training routine - should it be similar to Madcows (or other 5x5 programs) where there's a heavy, light and medium day?

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by callmeunodos View Post
    Quick question about the weight used in the Power Training routine - should it be similar to Madcows (or other 5x5 programs) where there's a heavy, light and medium day?
    For an intermediate, that would be much easier to recover from, but the intention here is big volume, going heavy three days a week.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10) callmeunodos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    For an intermediate, that would be much easier to recover from, but the intention here is big volume, going heavy three days a week.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in my second week with this one and that's what I've been doing - I just wanted to make sure I was on par with the programs intentions. Thanks again.

cmsgtamn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cmsgtamn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is there an alternative to doing front squats? I don't feel like I'm performing them correctly and don't want to risk injury. I've tried with the lighter bars and still don't think I've got correct form down. I feel most of the strain in my lower back. Or perhaps that's where I'm supposed to feel it? I've never done front squats before.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cmsgtamn View Post
    Is there an alternative to doing front squats? I don't feel like I'm performing them correctly and don't want to risk injury. I've tried with the lighter bars and still don't think I've got correct form down. I feel most of the strain in my lower back. Or perhaps that's where I'm supposed to feel it? I've never done front squats before.
    Learning to properly front squat will serve you better than any substitution I suggest, but you could sub in zercher squats, hack squats, smith machine front squats, or leg presses (if you must).
    Last edited by bango skank; 04-30-2015 at 06:24 PM.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

Organaman604 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Epic thread!
    Check out my website: https://www.compythat.com/

screwge84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It may be an old thread but it's both insightful and motivating.

I've read so much information about dieting and weight lifting over the past couple of years, and whilst I've learnt a lot, it's also very confusing with so much conflicting information out there. The info at the start of this thread puts things into perspective and also reinforces my decision to stick with a 5x5 compound lifting plan to develop decent mass and then consider changing to another programme or introducing more iso's further down the track. Thanks bango skank! Bookmarked!

salih99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I liked this
    Hyperextension Warm-up - 1 x 20
    Squat - 5 x 5
    Bench press - 5 x 5
    Stiff-leg dead lift - 5 x 5
    Bent-over rowing - 5 x 5
    Standing Press - 5 x 5
    Leg raises 1 x 25
    Guys what do you think
    Can I just add curls for girls lol
    And what about regular dedalift ?
    I have never lift before but I want to start

screwge84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by salih99 View Post
    I liked this
    Squat - 5 x 5
    Bench press - 5 x 5
    Stiff-leg dead lift - 5 x 5
    Bent-over rowing - 5 x 5
    Standing Press - 5 x 5
    Leg raises 1 x 25
    Guys what do you think
    Can I just add curls for girls lol
    And what about regular dedalift ?
    I have never lift before but I want to start
    If you've never lifted before start slow and steady -- there's some good advice on 5x5 programmes for beginners so check the stickies and do a search. The most important thing is to get your form and diet in check and be consistent. At 16 you have age and hormones on your side so start with the compound movements a few times a week and eat eat eat.

salih99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I really want to do reg park beginner 5x5 but I cant chin or pull up

junebug116 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Replace pull ups/chins with pull down.. I have to do it 😊

Originally Posted by salih99 View Post
    I really want to do reg park beginner 5x5 but I cant chin or pull up
    Originally Posted by junebug116 View Post
    Replace pull ups/chins with pull down.. I have to do it 
    If you can't do pull-ups, you can use an assisted pull-up machine, substitute rack chins (google it), or cable pull-downs.
    -Don Vito Corleone

ohmybob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ohmybob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ohmybob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ohmybob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ohmybob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ohmybob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ohmybob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ohmybob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ohmybob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ohmybob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ohmybob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A little confused on this thread. Based on just progressing from one workout to another. Are they all based on 5 weeks? How much should I be adding each workout? 5 pounds? DO I keep the same weight when I go to a new routine?(IE hard workout > mr universe)

Also, is there a substitute for dips?

Would this be recommended over ICF?

hamzadon99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nice

Originally Posted by ohmybob View Post
    Are they all based on 5 weeks?
    Unless otherwise specified, each program lasts as long as you continue to progress on it.

How much should I be adding each workout? 5 pounds?
    Add the largest weight increment that you can sustain over a period of months. This could range from 2.5-10 lbs per workout for upper body lifts and 5-15 lbs per workout for lower body lifts. Generally speaking, adding 5# per workout is a very reasonable weight increase that is considerably sustainable.

DO I keep the same weight when I go to a new routine?(IE hard workout > mr universe)
    I think it always makes sense to reset weights 10-15% when starting a new program to insure progress and avoid plateaus.

Also, is there a substitute for dips?
    Possible substitutes for dips are close grip bench press or decline bench press. I'm not a fan of bench dips as they put the shoulder in a compromising position, so your mileage on these may vary. There are also ways to Jerry Rig a dip station, which may be the best option. Diamond push-ups with feet elevated also work.

Would this be recommended over ICF?
    Only if it is more in line with your goals. They take very similar approaches.
    -Don Vito Corleone

svenconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ive done the fierce 5 program for 3 months and I haven't seen a great progression tbh. I Think that I would prefer to rack up new weights every workout instead of every week.

I Think this program would suit me better. The thing i wanted to ask if I can substitute front squat with a regular squat or a paused squat?

Originally Posted by svenconnery View Post
    The thing i wanted to ask if I can substitute front squat with a regular squat or a paused squat?
    Most of these routines has you alternating back squat and front squat. Are asking if you can back squat every workout? You could if you want to.
    -Don Vito Corleone

RdySetGO!! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi guys. It says do the bench press or dips in Reg's beginner workout. Why not do both in the same day.

Originally Posted by RdySetGO!! View Post
    Hi guys. It says do the bench press or dips in Reg's beginner workout. Why not do both in the same day.
    You could, but going heavy on both in the same day could be overly taxing. If you want to do both I would suggest either using bodyweight and go for reps, or, if you want to go with weighted dips, alternate it into Workout B.
    -Don Vito Corleone

summermobile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) summermobile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) summermobile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) summermobile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) summermobile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) summermobile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) summermobile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) summermobile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) summermobile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) summermobile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) summermobile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I studied every move he made, every gesture. From that point on my life was utterly dominated by Reg Park. His image was my ideal. It was fixed indeliably in my mind. All my friends were more impressed by Steve Reeves, but I didn't like him. Reg Park had more of a rough look, a powerful look, while Steeve Reeves seemed elegant, smooth, polished.
    www.meizu-mx5.com/

Wabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This looks like the workout plan for me! I still have to look into it more, but I'm determined to gain 20-30lbs muscle and feel healthy by next summer - hopefully sooner, but I don't want to burn-out or do anything too fast.

I plan on starting from the bottom with an empty bar and working out 3 days a week. I will be biking to work most days (less than 5 miles to/from). I also plan to add jump-roping into the routine and hiking/jogging (at least once a week). I have yet to find a gym, but have 3 nearby that I'm considering. Closest is the most expensive (about 4-5 times at $48). I would like to bike-ride to and from the gym, so I may pay the $48. Don't have the space for a equipment at home.

Wish me luck.

woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ---------
    The Hard Work 5x5 Routine

Squat - 5 x 5
    Bench press - 5 x 5
    Stiff-leg dead lift - 5 x 5 (I am going to focus on normal D/L rather than straight)
    Bent-over rowing - 5 x 5
    Standing Press - 5 x 5
    Leg raises 1 x 25
    ------------

Will I be missing on anything if I do normal D/L instead of Stiff Legged?

I only wished it had some pull-ups in it, do any of these other exercises work the same muscles as pullups? or are they unnecessary at this stage?

Thanks for posting this mate, I have been on a few workouts over the last couple of years or so without much progress (mainly due to my consistency, poor diet, starting and stopping etc).

I was doing all-pros beginner, but I think I have actually gotten weaker on it in the last 3 months.

I am going to hit reset tonight and focus on this routine for at least 12 months.

You are absolutely right with the whole, getting the basic main compound lifts right and on track. I think all the progress I have made ever has been mostly when I am focusing on the big lifts, and going up in weight every

week. It is almost an instant morale booster for me, seeing myself go up every day (or some days not) but altogether progressing.

I'll let you know how I have gone in 6 months time

Right now though

3x5

Squat with Ok form - 60KG
    BP - 65KG
    OHP - 40KG
    SLDL - 75KG
    BOR - 40KG
    Last edited by woobla; 06-02-2015 at 12:26 AM. Reason: I am a rapist

Originally Posted by Wabi View Post
    This looks like the workout plan for me! I still have to look into it more, but I'm determined to gain 20-30lbs muscle and feel healthy by next summer - hopefully sooner, but I don't want to burn-out or do anything too fast.

I plan on starting from the bottom with an empty bar and working out 3 days a week. I will be biking to work most days (less than 5 miles to/from). I also plan to add jump-roping into the routine and hiking/jogging (at least once a week). I have yet to find a gym, but have 3 nearby that I'm considering. Closest is the most expensive (about 4-5 times at $48). I would like to bike-ride to and from the gym, so I may pay the $48. Don't have the space for a equipment at home.

Wish me luck.
    I know for me, having my gym nearby makes a huge difference. And biking there should save you some gas money at least. Good luck and get strong!
    -Don Vito Corleone

Originally Posted by woobla View Post
    ---------
    The Hard Work 5x5 Routine

Squat - 5 x 5
    Bench press - 5 x 5
    Stiff-leg dead lift - 5 x 5 (I am going to focus on normal D/L rather than straight)
    Bent-over rowing - 5 x 5
    Standing Press - 5 x 5
    Leg raises 1 x 25
    ------------

Will I be missing on anything if I do normal D/L instead of Stiff Legged?
    I you want to focus on conventional, drop it back to 3x5 (which would be two warm-up "stabilizer" sets and one heavy work-set). It may also be a good idea to alternate stiff-leg with conventional every other workout if you start feeling beat up from doing both every workout.

I only wished it had some pull-ups in it, do any of these other exercises work the same muscles as pullups? or are they unnecessary at this stage?
    Add them in! You can do a single set every workout, or alternate pull-ups with bent rows for multiple sets.

Good luck and get strong!
    -Don Vito Corleone

woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) woobla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I

Add them in! You can do a single set every workout, or alternate pull-ups with bent rows for multiple sets.

Good luck and get strong!
    Thanks mate, I did the workout the first time last night.

Left feeling strong and accomplished. It was nice to achieve all of the current weights, knowing I can move up next workout .

I even managed 5 chinups, (not bad for a 110KG 6ft 4 man.)

jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How long did arnold do reg parks program when he first started.. At what weight did he decide to move on.

Im trying to decide if i need to switch up my program, i have been doing full body for about 1.5 yrs. I have been on and off consistant because of moving , getting sick, and family affairs.
    It is better to die on your feet, than to live a lifetime on your knees

a coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but one.

The odds are great
    But my spirit is strong,
    My faith unbreakable,
    My blood is pure.
    I SHALL ENDURE!
    I WILL ENDURE!

the strength of a gesture, a thought with no voice

Originally Posted by jaygee15 View Post
    How long did arnold do reg parks program when he first started.. At what weight did he decide to move on.

Im trying to decide if i need to switch up my program, i have been doing full body for about 1.5 yrs. I have been on and off consistant because of moving , getting sick, and family affairs.
    Not sure how much he weighed, but whatever it was, he ran the program until he could Deadlift 2.75xBW, squat 2.25xBW, bench 1.5xBW and overhead press his own bodyweight.
    -Don Vito Corleone

Originally Posted by woobla View Post
    Thanks mate, I did the workout the first time last night.

Left feeling strong and accomplished. It was nice to achieve all of the current weights, knowing I can move up next workout .

I even managed 5 chinups, (not bad for a 110KG 6ft 4 man.)
    Not bad indeed! Check back and let us know how it goes!
    -Don Vito Corleone

jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    not sure how much he weighed, but whatever it was, he ran the program until he could deadlift 2.75xbw, squat 2.25xbw, bench 1.5xbw and overhead press his own bodyweight.
    do you know how long that took him
    It is better to die on your feet, than to live a lifetime on your knees

a coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but one.

The odds are great
    But my spirit is strong,
    My faith unbreakable,
    My blood is pure.
    I SHALL ENDURE!
    I WILL ENDURE!

the strength of a gesture, a thought with no voice

Originally Posted by jaygee15 View Post
    do you know how long that took him
    Reg Park's Beginner Routine could run 6 months to a year
    Reg Park's Power Training Program is 10 weeks.
    Reg Park's 9 Month 5x5 is... 9 months... lol
    Reg Park's 1951 Mr. Universe Workout is 10 months
    -Don Vito Corleone