mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

PT told me I shouldn't do any BB Hipthrusts/Glute Bridges

Hi,

I've hired a new pt, a powerlifter with a very impressive track record.

I had recently my first appointment with him, and when he had a look at my previous training plan he told me I shouldn't do any BB hip trusts or weighted glute bridges, kickbacks or anything the like because they wouldn't build any glute mass, they would be only for shaping if you already have a big butt.
    He told me the only exercises I'd need to build mass are squats, leg press, hyper extension, walking lunges, hamstring curls.

I know Bret Contreras has done electromyography studies on glutes and claims hip thrusts, abduction, bridges etc. would be the most effective.

I am completely confused now tbh, as the new pt holds some very impressive titles (powerlifting), and I would like to trust him, but not sure what I should think now.

Any thoughts on this would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by mietz; 03-12-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would be seriously doubting anything out of the mouth of someone who told me that glute bridges/hip thrusts didn't build mass. They are THE best booty builders as long as the person doing them is activating the glutes properly.
    Did he give you a reason why he thinks that?

mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mietz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    I would be seriously doubting anything out of the mouth of someone who told me that glute bridges/hip thrusts didn't build mass. They are THE best booty builders as long as the person doing them is activating the glutes properly.
    He told me I would have no butt yet, and glute bridges/hip thrusts would be only for people who already have a good glute mass and would like to shape them.

ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    Yeah... I'm gonna echo this. I'm not sure how being a male powerlifting expert would translate to shaping a female physique...

I swear by those supposedly ineffective moves... I have plenty of pics in my gallery to show their effect on me
    2020 Olympia Bound | NPC WPD Nationally Qualified | 2018 Arnold Amateur WPD Top 3 | 2x WPD Pro World Champion (INBA/DFAC)

Meet Lifts: S: 305 | B: 205 | D: 370 * Gym Lifts: S: 380 | B: 275 | D: 415

WEB: proyeo.com | IG: ankhjii_pro_yeo

ISSA: CFT SNS | Westside Barbell Certified

ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I know this is female bodybuilding, so I apologize if I am overstepping

Originally Posted by mietz View Post
    He told me I would have no butt yet, and glute bridges/hip thrusts would be only for people who already have a good glute mass and would like to shape them.
    I wouldn't trust him, or any other PT who talks about shaping a muscle, that's not how muscles work.

Originally Posted by ProYeo View Post
    Yeah... I'm gonna echo this. I'm not sure how being a male powerlifting expert would translate to shaping a female physique...

I swear by those supposedly ineffective moves... I have plenty of pics in my gallery to show their effect on me
    Weighted glute bridges are fine for building mass, as any exercise that can stimulate a muscle fibre will help build mass, the problem is that most people perform them incorrectly and end up overloading the wrong muscle groups. A standing hip thrust against band resistance is more easily controlled and has a lower rate of injury.
    It'd be like staying fat while running marathons because it's more impressive to finish a marathon when you're overweight. It might be impressive in the short run, but in the long run it just doesn't make any sense. ~breathinglife

Raw competition lifts ....................Equipped
    Squat 661
    Bench 490...........................................666.9
    Dead 585

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    Squats, leg press and lunges are all compound movements. Glutes bridge, hip thrusts, kickbacks are all isolation. When it comes to the building process it's possible that he wants you to focus on the compounds (because this is key to building the foundation) and the isolation work comes into play for the finer details so to speak.

Another important factor is the compounds will help you become stronger when it comes to your isolation work.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just because someone has an impressive record doesn't mean they know everything/what's best for you.

If Neil deGrasse Tyson said the world is flat, you wouldn't believe him just because of his impressive status as a world renown scientist.

I don't see why your PT said you shouldn't do any period. They're still good exercises to add on to any leg/glute routine.
    Bulking & Lifting :)

vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhenley164 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Squats, leg press and lunges are all compound movements. Glutes bridge, hip thrusts, kickbacks are all isolation. When it comes to the building process it's possible that he wants you to focus on the compounds (because this is key to building the foundation) and the isolation work comes into play for the finer details so to speak.

Another important factor is the compounds will help you become stronger when it comes to your isolation work.
    Was thinking the same thing.

If you have zero muscle mass compounds are the way to go and should be your focus. This is probably his thinking.

If you trust him enough to pay him, you either have to trust him with your program or find someone else.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The guy's an idiot. BB glute bridge for maximum glute gainz.

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Butt shape is determined by the muscle to fat ratio in your butt. If you're building muscle, you're shaping your butt, and vice versa. I wouldn't trust him as a pt for females after hearing that.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    The guy's an idiot.

he holds several world records in powerlifting, and used to be the coach of a female world record powerlifter... he knows one or two things about how to build muscles (also for females'), he's most definitely not an idiot.
    thank you everyone. I was thinking about this and I will do what the coach tells me for some months, and see what this will do to my physique. let's see where this journey will take me...

anyway, thx again.

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Training for powerlifting is training for maximal strength in a single rep of squat/bench/DL. While getting to that point, mass is often put on, but physique training is not really on the radar. Bringing up "lagging parts" in PL usually just means training the weak link of your lift. If you want to get stronger at squat/bench/DL, he is probably a great coach. But if your goals are aesthetics, I would look elsewhere.

With that said, I am a PL and have used BB hip thrusts for glute/posterior strength, and they grew mine just fine too . Would not listen to his rambling about "shaping muscle already there".
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    Training for powerlifting is training for maximal strength in a single rep of squat/bench/DL. While getting to that point, mass is often put on, but physique training is not really on the radar. Bringing up "lagging parts" in PL usually just means training the weak link of your lift. If you want to get stronger at squat/bench/DL, he is probably a great coach. But if your goals are aesthetics, I would look elsewhere.

With that said, I am a PL and have used BB hip thrusts for glute/posterior strength, and they grew mine just fine too . Would not listen to his rambling about "shaping muscle already there".

My primary goal is getting stronger, aesthetics are second, but I don't want to end up with weird body proportions either.

Birdiefu, you are one of the people here I really like to read your advice/posts...do you think it would make sense if I'd add some glute isolation exercises now, or should I wait some months? I have been training for less than 6 months.

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My primary goal is getting stronger, aesthetics are second, but I don't want to end with weird body proportions either.

Birdiefu, you are one of the people here I really like to read your advice/posts...do you think it would make sense if I'd add some glute isolation exercises now, or should I wait some months? I have been training for less than 6 months.
    If you are still relatively new to training, I would stick with just increasing overall strength with main lifts. Glute work may be warranted if you are particularly weaker in the posterior chain or have "glute amnesia", but I am of the camp that if you need to focus on an area, try to stay as close to competition form as possible to maximize carryover. Ex: go with RDLs to focus on posterior chain first before BB hip thrusts. However, lighter glute activation stuff can definitely be good before your main lifts if needed. I probably do more glute work than most PL due to my scoliosis, direct work really helps me with it.

In that case, go ahead and stick with your trainer if your focus is strength, just be aware that he doesn't know it all and take some things with a grain of salt.

Getting stronger as a goal does not necessarily mean you wont get aesthetics, I train for PL but over many cuts/bulks have been asked a bunch of times if I BB. Personally I don't think I have great proportions for that, but then again I don't do much isolation/intentional hypertrophy work. If you are strengthening your entire body, you won't end up with "weird" proportions

And thanks, glad you think my advice is worthwhile
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

Thank you.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    he holds several world records in powerlifting, and used to be the coach of a female world record powerlifter... he knows one or two things about how to build muscles (also for females'), he's most definitely not an idiot.
    That doesn't mean he knows how to build certain muscle groups. He may be a great powerliting coach, but what you want to accomplish requires a body building coach. Also, the glutes are a problematic area for most women because they can't get them to grow the way they want. Some women have great looking behinds and they'll tell you they've done nothing but squat and deadlift. If you feel you need a little extra work, do everything - squat, sumo deadlift, good morning, bb glute bridge, donkey kickback machine etc.

EDIT
    I called him an idiot mainly because he spoke of shaping a muscle. You can't shape a muscle; it can either grow(hypertrophy), shrink(atrophy) or remain the same size.