JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Getting used to higher frequency questions

So I am just starting to get into powerlifting and the program I am doing has me squatting 3x a week. Ive never squatted this often before and my lower body/lower back are very tight/sore. Any ideas how to make it less or is it just going to take some getting used to (I already foam roll and use a lacrosse ball for mobility regularly) Thanks!
    IIFYM
    College student

kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Clicked on thread expecting question about squatting 7x/week ... I am disappointed

Just kidding ...sort of

You'll be fine and it's ok to squat if you are still sore ... actually squatting while you're still store will probably reduce DOMS in the long run.
    My powerlifting journal:
    Adaptation ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169905603

SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I started squatting that frequently two months ago and it has gotten a lot better. At first my lower back would be so tight it took everything in me to walk to the water fountain and back without looking like I had cerebral palsy. It gets better man, the more you lift the better your form gets. And pre lift stretching simply CANNOT be ignored, especially on something as compound as the squat. I started stretching and it is like night and day. And I don't mean, "I gotta get these stupid stretches done so I can lift" stretches. Take the stretches slowly and seriously
    "That's the cool thing about lifting weights, man. They get older, I stay the same age." - David Wooderson

Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sohale31 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    over time it'll fade away. after about 2 months of 4x weekly squatting i never got sore anymore.
    Wannabe Powerlifter
    Certified Donut Eater
    Indiana University Pride

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    what type of workout are u doing to get sore in the first place?

if you increase the frequency, you generally aren't going to be going to failure and you also wont be doing as many sets per workout. What you generally dont want to be doing is just taking your normal once-per-week gut busting workout and do it 3x per week.

If you are doing a bodypart 1x per week, you generally throw everything and the kitchen sink at the bodypart. Like the old Tom Platz insane squatting sessions and then hack squats and leg extensions to failure with forced reps and negatives etc. But then he didnt train legs again for 10 days sometimes. If you are going to do that bodypart more frequently, the individual sessions need to be a little more moderate. Particularly concerning going to failure, I just wouldnt if I were going to do the bodypart again a few days later (no need to go to failure, leave a rep or two in the bag)

As far as soreness, some people (me) have found the exact opposite. I used to do each bodypart 1x per week and id stay sore pretty much until it was time to do it again. Say id do chest on Monday, it would be sore at LEAST until Saturday. I used to see the Arnold type routines where they did chest 3x per week and I could never figure out how they did it. Then I tried a powerlifting workout benching 3x per week and I never got sore at all lol.

So a lot of people experience the opposite to what u r experiencing. So its not the frequency itself making you sore, its more of what u r doing in the individual workouts.

Also, of course, a standard question is, are you getting enough protein?
    "Humility comes before honor"

1500 raw will be wrecked baxtej44's Avatar
    baxtej44 is a name known to all. (+5000) baxtej44 is a name known to all. (+5000) baxtej44 is a name known to all. (+5000) baxtej44 is a name known to all. (+5000) baxtej44 is a name known to all. (+5000) baxtej44 is a name known to all. (+5000) baxtej44 is a name known to all. (+5000) baxtej44 is a name known to all. (+5000) baxtej44 is a name known to all. (+5000) baxtej44 is a name known to all. (+5000) baxtej44 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    what type of workout are u doing to get sore in the first place?

if you increase the frequency, you generally aren't going to be going to failure and you also wont be doing as many sets per workout. What you generally dont want to be doing is just taking your normal once-per-week gut busting workout and do it 3x per week.

If you are doing a bodypart 1x per week, you generally throw everything and the kitchen sink at the bodypart. Like the old Tom Platz insane squatting sessions and then hack squats and leg extensions to failure with forced reps and negatives etc. But then he didnt train legs again for 10 days sometimes. If you are going to do that bodypart more frequently, the individual sessions need to be a little more moderate. Particularly concerning going to failure, I just wouldnt if I were going to do the bodypart again a few days later (no need to go to failure, leave a rep or two in the bag)

As far as soreness, some people (me) have found the exact opposite. I used to do each bodypart 1x per week and id stay sore pretty much until it was time to do it again. Say id do chest on Monday, it would be sore at LEAST until Saturday. I used to see the Arnold type routines where they did chest 3x per week and I could never figure out how they did it. Then I tried a powerlifting workout benching 3x per week and I never got sore at all lol.

So a lot of people experience the opposite to what u r experiencing. So its not the frequency itself making you sore, its more of what u r doing in the individual workouts.

Also, of course, a standard question is, are you getting enough protein?
    see the problem with basing a session's quality on soreness is that it doesn't equate to a good session or not. soreness is not required for gains of any kind.

JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JMlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks everyone for the replies! sounds like it will just take some getting used to.
    IIFYM
    College student

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are either going to have to drop the IIFYM or jack that number up a few thousand calories.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."