Thread: Abdominal Work

Registered User startingtolearn's Avatar
    startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Abdominal Work

I know there is some conflicting opinions on how to train abdominals, and that abdominals are made in the kitchen and not the gym. However, although I am sitting at 15-16% bf and wouldn't expect to see any real definition until I hit 12% or so, I am currently slow bulking.

Even when I was lean, I felt as though I had very shallow/weak abs. I'd like to train them. Trainers at my gym have told me NOT to use weighted crunches/etc, because that would "build up" abs and make them thicker… well that's what we want, right??

How do you train your abs, and at what rep/set scheme? How do you ensure you train ALL the layers of your abdominal strength? (from the superficial to the transverse abdominals?) If I flex, i can see a SLIGHT outline of my top abs, but my lower stomach tends to stick out, as if I had an anterior hip rotation issue, but I don't think that's it. I do believe I need to lose some fat to lose it, but I wonder if my transverse abs are weak as well?

Thanks!

andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrewlef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do weighted ab exercises regularly. I want them to be thick (and they are now). So what if they get "too thick"? That's easily fixed.

Personally, I like cable crunches, leg raises, weighted crunches, ball crunches, landmine 180s, wood chops, etc.

preacher of simplicity godsamurai's Avatar
    godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I don't like to talk with trainers, and in fact, I never talk with them.
    if you go real high volume on ab training, chances are they won't get thick. As for fat reduction on the ab, it is still a myth because spot reduction is known to be likely impossible.

to lose fat and weight in general, the primary focus you should have is a diet. This has been said many times and I think I was probably first guy who came up with this idea.
    Dymatize ISO-100 protein: 25g protein, 1 carb, 0 fat, 0 lactose, 0 sugar
    That's all you need.

Personal Dymatize protein review (2011):

Registered User startingtolearn's Avatar
    startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) startingtolearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What do you guys think of this article? I think it's geared a little more toward women (Spanx) but obviously it's relevant to guys too:

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Transv...les&id=2424756

Could weak transverse abs cause a sort of "sinking and out" effect in the lower abs, just like a anterior hip rotation would? I think I have the weakest abs ever. I am fairly lean everywhere else but this area, and I feel like if I could tighten this up, it would make me look leaner.

Thoguhts?

FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Probably won't see much abs until you get to around 10% BF, but train them and train them all, I say. Some say you get enough ab work from the big compound movements; I'm not so sure of that. I agree that resistance work is better than body weight if you are strong enough to do those; if not, then work up to doing them. They would include incline push situps, weighted incline crunches, cable crunches. I also like ab roller (in its various positions, depending upon strength/ability) and hanging leg lifts (at least raising knees to chest; hanging pike is even better) and you can do these with added weights, too. I don't do a LOT of oblique work, because my waist is wide enough (thanks, genes!), but I do a few, especially to help those upper obliques pop out a bit and help frame the rectus.

HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love abdominal workouts. Dragon flags and windshield wipers have made my waist wide and strong. I want the greek god waist because all that means is you have a stronger core. Yes you need to train abs because when you do well in the kitchen it will be easy to see just how much more it could have been if they had been trained properly. I do abdominals twice a week and I hit them well.

2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100)
    Target transverse abdominals. Start with knee planks holding a posterior pelvic tilt and breathing..progress to regular planks if you can keep your back from hyperextending. Kneeling ball raises holding posterior pelvic tilt, dead bug exercises. Start from the inside out
    04/30/14: 264lbs
    Re-learning how to eat.
    (burning pipe makes me hungry)

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    8-15 reps progressive overload. there is a difference between working abs and building abs. if your abs are thick you will see them at higher bodyfat percentage

joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stay away from sit-ups, and leg raises (or any variation). Stick to things that bring your ribs closer to your hips, (cable crunches, regular crunches) things with twisting motion, (russian twists, cable twists with arms straight out), and isometric work (planks, side planks).

Leg raises more isometrically work the abs instead of directly contracting them. The ab burn you feel is you iliopsoas muscles under your abs. Sit ups are only a direct ab contraction untl you get past the point of where a crunch would stop, then its mostly your quads (rectus femoris) and iliopsoas while your abs stay isometric srs.

bluel0bster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluel0bster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluel0bster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluel0bster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluel0bster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluel0bster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluel0bster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluel0bster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluel0bster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluel0bster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluel0bster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your gym trainers are idiots. Going heavy with ab exercises is the best. Cable crunches are my personal favorites, though you'll be getting plenty of core development if you focus on compound exercises.

joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) joecam18 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Also, not sure what your concern with transverse abs are unless youre having core stabilization issues

2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by joecam18 View Post
    Also, not sure what your concern with transverse abs are unless youre having core stabilization issues
    You just noted to stay away from abdominal exercises that involve psoas activation..if your psoas are overactive you have core stability "issues" already.
    04/30/14: 264lbs
    Re-learning how to eat.
    (burning pipe makes me hungry)