Registered User DianaMarie72285's Avatar
    DianaMarie72285 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Will I lose muscle if I do high intensity for 30 days? (P90X3 to Asylum)

I just finished P90X3 Mass version and got awesome results (as you can see in my current progress pics). I built more muscle then I thought I would. I want to do another round of it so I can build even more muscle but first I want to lose a few more lbs of body fat. (My BF is 25% ugh) My plan was to start the 30 day Insanity Asylum program and hoping to lose about 6lbs. I've already completed insanity twice so I'm familiar with the high intensity workouts. After Asylum thats when I'd do another round of P90X3 Mass to focus again on building more muscle. My concern is losing muscle if I don't lift for a month and just do high intensity. I worked really hard to build the muscle that I have and I don't want to lose it.

Note-*Im 5'0 115lbs. 25%bf. I eat almost 100% clean. Weekends I'll have a cheat meal or two. My calories are about 1200. I'm trying real hard to get it up to at least 1300. (I get full really fast) And I follow IIFYM.
    I have a 9yr old,5yr old,3yr old & 11mth old. I still did it!

You haven't failed until you quit trying.

FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DianaMarie72285 View Post
    I just finished P90X3 Mass version and got awesome results (as you can see in my current progress pics). I built more muscle then I thought I would. I want to do another round of it so I can build even more muscle but first I want to lose a few more lbs of body fat. (My BF is 25% ugh) My plan was to start the 30 day Insanity Asylum program and hoping to lose about 6lbs. I've already completed insanity twice so I'm familiar with the high intensity workouts. After Asylum thats when I'd do another round of P90X3 Mass to focus again on building more muscle. My concern is losing muscle if I don't lift for a month and just do high intensity. I worked really hard to build the muscle that I have and I don't want to lose it.

Note-*Im 5'0 115lbs. 25%bf. I eat almost 100% clean. Weekends I'll have a cheat meal or two. My calories are about 1200. I'm trying real hard to get it up to at least 1300. (I get full really fast) And I follow IIFYM.
    With lots of cardio, particularly long high intensitv stuff, without any significant resistance training, you'll certainly lose muscle mass.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    You've obviously done some research and it shows in your writing. I'll credit you for that.

The issue lies in your choice of program. First off "P90X Mass version" is like a double negative. It is a glorified cardio program. Running P90X Mass version is going to net you a calorie deficit if your diet is on point. You don't have to change your program to lose weight.

1300 cals seems too low. An 8 yr old needs more calories than that. You need to find your maintenance calorie number and eat 10% less. So if your maintenance is 1800, then you need to eat 1620. The larger percentage calorie deficit you create the larger amount of muscle you will lose during your cut.

"IIFYM and eating clean 100% of the time" are contradictory. I'm a big fan of IIFYM.
    Experience, not just theory

adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post

"IIFYM and eating clean 100% of the time" are contradictory. I'm a big fan of IIFYM.
    I usually stick to the IIFIYM rule.

If it fits in your mouth eat it
    I remove my shirt to poop crew
    Hookey Pookey crew

Captain Funpants' Poop Log of Excellence:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146431903

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by adamdavidson47 View Post
    I usually stick to the IIFIYM rule.

If it fits in your mouth eat it
    Tempted to make sex joke.

Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would not worry about losing muscle mass. If you do lose any it will be minimal. Even though you have worked and gained some muscle you aren't at a point where you have a massive amount of muscle which is where losing muscle mass while losing weight really kicks in.

Think of it like losing fat: a 300lb highly obese person can lose 10lbs of fat really easily, a 150lb person with low body fat will struggle to lose 10lbs.

A highly trained lifter with 120lbs of skeletal muscle can lose 5lbs of muscle mass by just getting hurt and not being able to workout for a few weeks. A person with 40lbs of muscle mass would have to really starve themselves for an extended period of time to lose 5lbs of muscle.
    Last edited by Floider; 04-29-2014 at 09:24 AM.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I looked at your progress pics and I think that your "muscle gain" is really just a matter of uncovering what is already there. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. Most people would look much better (and more muscular) if they dropped a few % off their BF. In fact, I think if you enjoy these types of home workouts and they have been helping you, then you should keep on keeping on. I'd be willing to bet that you will see minimal impact to your actual lean mass numbers.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius