oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10)

stiff leg deadlift - not feeling hamstring?

Looking for tips on the deadlift because when I do it I barely feel it in my hamstrings and I am not sure what I am doing wrong?

Compared to my other exercises I feel a lot less work done by this muscle than other exercises on other muscles. I am only using 20 lbs though - is it possible I need to move up to more weight even though my other muscle groups are still using the 20 lbs (dumbbells) ?

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Where DO you feel it if anywhere? Yeah that's probably because you're doing it with such low weight, 20lbs is nothing for any kind of deadlift. I'd start with an empty barbell and then add a little at a time until you find a good wt.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

vicwlk is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicwlk is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicwlk is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicwlk is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicwlk is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicwlk is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicwlk is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicwlk is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicwlk is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicwlk is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicwlk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by oneyeti View Post
    Looking for tips on the deadlift because when I do it I barely feel it in my hamstrings and I am not sure what I am doing wrong?

Compared to my other exercises I feel a lot less work done by this muscle than other exercises on other muscles. I am only using 20 lbs though - is it possible I need to move up to more weight even though my other muscle groups are still using the 20 lbs (dumbbells) ?
    Are you willing to trying doing deadlifts with the barbell? If you're training at the gym, maybe you should ask a trainer to show you proper form and try a stiff leg deadlift with the bar, going up in weight to assess the right weight for you.
    Victoria_Alaine
    NEVER QUIT!!!!!1

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    When it comes to hitting the hamstrings, you'll get more from a Romanian deadlift compared to doing a Stiff leg. I normally do them with a BB, but when I do them with DB's, I stand on a 45lb plate.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa63.htm
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10) oneyeti is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    When it comes to hitting the hamstrings, you'll get more from a Romanian deadlift compared to doing a Stiff leg. I normally do them with a BB, but when I do them with DB's, I stand on a 45lb plate.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa63.htm
    I thought that was the same thing ? I am going from this video : http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exe...-deadlift.html from that and the article/pic you posted in the link they look the same to me?

I work out at home but I think I will look into getting a barbell to try out .

And I do feel it in the hamstring - but it's like barely and I feel like it's not doing much. I did them today but next time I do them I will try to post a video or something if I can

Thanks for all the comments

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by oneyeti View Post
    I thought that was the same thing ? I am going from this video : http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exe...-deadlift.html from that and the article/pic you posted in the link they look the same to me?

I work out at home but I think I will look into getting a barbell to try out .

And I do feel it in the hamstring - but it's like barely and I feel like it's not doing much. I did them today but next time I do them I will try to post a video or something if I can

Thanks for all the comments
    No, it's a completely different exercise. More lower back comes into play when doing a stiff legged deadlift.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...l-vs-sldl.html
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    No, it's a completely different exercise. More lower back comes into play when doing a stiff legged deadlift.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...l-vs-sldl.html
    Thank you for the link. It seems like RDL is the same exercise as shown in the video though which is what I've been trying to do (also matches description and pics for rdl from the link you sent). Since I'm already doing romanian ones I guess I will try to increase the weight and use a barbell .

mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There is absolutely no reason that all of your muscle groups should be able to move around the same weight in dumbbells. You will quickly be able to out lift your arms with your legs. Your leg muscles are bigger, stronger, and used to hauling your body weight around all day. It would be absolutely shocking if you could bench press and row the same as you can squat and deadlift.
    Instagram: @doctorv17