Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Close grip dumbell bench?

Would this exercise be as effective as with a barbell for triceps? Anyone do it?
    I'm asking as I workout alone and failing on the excercise with a bar can be dangerous.

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just keep your elbow positioning the same as when you use the barbell and it should work fine.

Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mush
    Would this exercise be as effective as with a barbell for triceps? Anyone do it?
    I'm asking as I workout alone and failing on the excercise with a bar can be dangerous.
    Never thought of trying it, but, yeah it should be okay. As papi said, just keep all positioning the same.

I train alone also and don't have any fear of failing on CGBP with bb since the weight I use is actually not enough to hurt me. I've failed a few times when this tricky bastard of an exercise snuck up on me and just ended up with the bb resting on my chest for a few seconds while I laughed to myself and then re racked the weight.

Otherwise, do you have access to a power rack? I think you know where I'm going with this.
    "When my opponent contracts, I expand. And when he expands, I contract.
    And when the opportunity arrives, *looks at clenched fist* I do not hit with it. It hits all by itself"-Bruce Lee
    ---------------------------------------------------
    If you're hungry.....it's too late.

Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The idea of a close grip dumbell press sounds great in theory however a few problems will arise that may render it useless.

first of all if you are using a proper amount of weight with the dumbells you wil find your arms will travel down the path of least resistance which usually means it starts wide (dumbells either side of chest) and end with them close together. When i have tried to change the path of the dumbells balance problems arise making it very tricky for you to carry out a taxing workout as you spend most of the time balancing the weight.

A good substitute for a close grip bench press when using dumbells is to hold the weights do that both hands are facing each other. this stresses the inner chest and the triceps giving you the same benefits of using a bench.

all the best
    Altius, Citius, Forcius...

(corrected)

Nothing in this world is impossible to acheive given enough time, effort and polo mints

what did the cannibal do after he dumped his girlfriend?

flush

Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mike750
    Never thought of trying it, but, yeah it should be okay. As papi said, just keep all positioning the same.

I train alone also and don't have any fear of failing on CGBP with bb since the weight I use is actually not enough to hurt me. I've failed a few times when this tricky bastard of an exercise snuck up on me and just ended up with the bb resting on my chest for a few seconds while I laughed to myself and then re racked the weight.

Otherwise, do you have access to a power rack? I think you know where I'm going with this.
    lol, I see. No, I don't unfortunately have access to a power rack.
    I'll give the dumbell method a go but if it doesn't work I just will try not to go to utter failure with the barbell.

Originally Posted by Briggsy
    The idea of a close grip dumbell press sounds great in theory however a few problems will arise that may render it useless.

first of all if you are using a proper amount of weight with the dumbells you wil find your arms will travel down the path of least resistance which usually means it starts wide (dumbells either side of chest) and end with them close together. When i have tried to change the path of the dumbells balance problems arise making it very tricky for you to carry out a taxing workout as you spend most of the time balancing the weight.

A good substitute for a close grip bench press when using dumbells is to hold the weights do that both hands are facing each other. this stresses the inner chest and the triceps giving you the same benefits of using a bench.

all the best
    Good idea, cheers!

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If I want db presses to hit my triceps more, I prefer to do them with my palms facing in. This forces you to tuck your elbows and is much more comfortable than trying to tuck them with your palms facing forward.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams