Phostose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phostose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phostose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phostose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question I want to start running but don't want to get hurt!

Hey, so I am 18 years old, 5'11' and about 290lbs. I want to add running to my daily schedule and I just wanted to know what are things that I may not want to do so that I don't hurt myself. Last time I ran was about 5 years ago (beginning of highschool). In the gym, I usually start start with some cardio on the elliptical. Also, is there a good distance I should try to reach each time? or should I just run until I can't do it anymore?

I own some free weights, ankle weights, and a weighted vest. I was thinking about wearing/carrying these while running to burn a little extra!

Thanks in advance!

emor09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Know the course that you're going to run. If it's outside, know of any divets or potholes that could sprain an ankle.

Also stretch before running. (This would be true if it's your 1st time in 5 years, or you run every day. But it's more important in your case)

CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Best advise would be to start easy and build up from that. I wouldnt use the weighted vest yet. Try to get some proper running mechanics first before loading your joints even more.

DVDowns is just really nice. (+1000) DVDowns is just really nice. (+1000) DVDowns is just really nice. (+1000) DVDowns is just really nice. (+1000) DVDowns is just really nice. (+1000) DVDowns is just really nice. (+1000) DVDowns is just really nice. (+1000) DVDowns is just really nice. (+1000) DVDowns is just really nice. (+1000) DVDowns is just really nice. (+1000) DVDowns is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do you have the option of running on grassy fields rather than roads? The softer surface helps prevent too much jarring.

Phostose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phostose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phostose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phostose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DVDowns View Post
    Do you have the option of running on grassy fields rather than roads? The softer surface helps prevent too much jarring.
    There is a track behind my building. But it's still iced over for now.

Originally Posted by emor09 View Post
    Know the course that you're going to run. If it's outside, know of any divets or potholes that could sprain an ankle.

Also stretch before running. (This would be true if it's your 1st time in 5 years, or you run every day. But it's more important in your case)
    I have always read the stretching is bad before working out, and that you should only do it later. Is that different for running?

CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Phostose View Post
    I have always read the stretching is bad before working out, and that you should only do it later. Is that different for running?
    Dont stretch before! but ballastic or mobility exercises are fine

Jerzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ditch the ankle weights, you don't want to add any unnecessary joint strain on your knees. As for the weighted vest, If you have a removable weight one where you can build up would be the best option. An even better option would be to run some inclines instead of the weighted vest, if you can. The most important thing in running is your breathing patterns. You should set a goal, not run until you can't anymore and risk injury. Set up something reasonable you think you can accomplish the first time out and either decrease the distance or increase it from the outcome of that run. Meet your goal for the week and steadily increase it each week after.

MUFCFrankie is on a distinguished road. (+10) MUFCFrankie is on a distinguished road. (+10) MUFCFrankie is on a distinguished road. (+10) MUFCFrankie is on a distinguished road. (+10) MUFCFrankie is on a distinguished road. (+10) MUFCFrankie is on a distinguished road. (+10) MUFCFrankie is on a distinguished road. (+10) MUFCFrankie is on a distinguished road. (+10) MUFCFrankie is on a distinguished road. (+10) MUFCFrankie is on a distinguished road. (+10) MUFCFrankie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    mate start small and work your way up, you need to get your joints used to just running in the first place.

At first it will be crap but let me tell you the feeling of being superfast is the best.