StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

How to increase Bench Press

Ok so my bench press is only 135 and its been like that for a while. But my ticeps and chest are getting stronger; I can do about 15 dips without assistance (I couldn't do one before), i can do 24 pull ups with little problem (I could only do like 3 before), but my Bench doesn't increase. I cant possibly be at a plateau because I'm still a noob, so what can I do to help my bench. Also my nutrition is still pretty consistent, occasionally I might be off by 300-200 cals but I'm at a 500 cal surplus.

Here is my Upper body workout as a reference
    Bench press 3x5
    Power Cleans 3x5
    Military Press 3x5
    Dips/ Pull-ups 3x8
    Flies 3x12
    Triceps Pull downs 3x12
    Barbell Curls 3x12
    Last edited by StoicMind; 12-07-2013 at 06:52 PM.

MikePRn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikePRn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikePRn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikePRn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikePRn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikePRn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikePRn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikePRn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikePRn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikePRn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikePRn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No rows?

- Maybe decrease the volume on the exercises besides the bench press and overhead press.
    OHP and benching more frequently helped me the most with my ****ty bench press.
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156191703

Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Listing lifts tells me nothing. How many reps? What progression?

Your form is probably sub par as well.
    We don't rise to the occasion, we fall to our level of training.

I was born a shotgun in my hands. Behind the gun I'll make my final stand and that's why they call me Bad Company

Sensible Liberals for Trump 2016 Crew

StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StoicMind has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Listing lifts tells me nothing. How many reps? What progression?

Your form is probably sub par as well.
    I do 3x5 135 with no progression my last 2 reps always almost go to failure. As far as form I'll try to get a video up soon but I remember to pinch in my shoulder blades, keep my elbows at a 30 degree angle with my body, and to I bring the bar under my chest with my feet planted on the ground. And since I'm a noob I try to add 5-10 lbs every week.

Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by StoicMind View Post
    I do 3x5 135 with no progression my last 2 reps always almost go to failure. As far as form I'll try to get a video up soon but I remember to pinch in my shoulder blades, keep my elbows at a 30 degree angle with my body, and to I bring the bar under my chest with my feet planted on the ground. And since I'm a noob I try to add 5-10 lbs every week.
    Shoulda asked in the previous, all those lifts above are done in one day?

Anyway, if strength is your goal, pick a proven program and stick to it. SS or a 5x5 would fit nicely.

You said 500ish cal surplus...how many total and what macros?

I was born a shotgun in my hands. Behind the gun I'll make my final stand and that's why they call me Bad Company

Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Shoulda asked in the previous, all those lifts above are done in one day?

Anyway, if strength is your goal, pick a proven program and stick to it. SS or a 5x5 would fit nicely.

You said 500ish cal surplus...how many total and what macros?
    Yes they are done in one day; I do Mon-Thurs and I rest Fri-Sun
    I did SS but I'm on a sports team, so I cant necessarily do SS I have to do something similar to what the coach wants us to do (Upper/lower), which is why I include the compound lifts. and my cals are 3200 175 g Protein 111g Fat and 375 Carbs
    Last edited by StoicMind; 12-07-2013 at 07:27 PM.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When I got stuck I tried searching old threads on BB.com. I tried searching up things like "how to increase bench press" I found a Googolplexian amount of threads, my bench shot up from there.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by oldballs View Post
    When I got stuck I tried searching old threads on BB.com. I tried searching up things like "how to increase bench press" I found a Googolplexian amount of threads, my bench shot up from there.
    No f*cking way man. Getting dem gainz is WAY more complicated than just searching. Take your crackpot theories and gtfo
    Experience, not just theory

parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parth95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Honestly, When you're a beginner, the only way to increase your bench is by doing more and more bench.
    Assistance workouts are good too, but they are more for different purposes. When you bench, you are sufficiently working the muscles needed to properly press. No need to isolate them for an increase.
    I say this because, you weigh 160 lbs, and you bench 135, so there is NO WAY you are at a plateau.
    I'm gonna take the assumption that your form needs improvement still(nothing bad on your part, just normal for beginners),so benching is the only remedy.

Eat and bench is all I'd recommend..Save the assistance workouts for when you build a good strength base. Until the, the BEST WAY is doing the compound lifts.
    Goodluck man!
    18 years old. Powerlifter.
    Bodyweight: 120 lbs(Summer 2013)-----------128(May 2014)
    Max Squat: 305----------------------------410
    Max Bench: 200----------------------------255
    Max Deadlift: 340----------------------------445

Originally Posted by StoicMind View Post
    Yes they are done in one day; I do Mon-Thurs and I rest Fri-Sun
    I did SS but I'm on a sports team, so I cant necessarily do SS I have to do something similar to what the coach wants us to do (Upper/lower), which is why I include the compound lifts. and my cals are 3200 175 g Protein 111g Fat and 375 Carbs
    To me, that is too much on one day to really make significant, steady progress on any of those lifts...especially "the big 4".

Either convince your coach that SS is better than the crap he's peddling or just ride out the season and give SS a legitimate shot, from square 1, in the off season.

Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP are you doing load progression?

If you are going into the gym and lifting the same amount of weight to failure every time you'll get nowhere.

I see you are doing reps of 5. Figure out your 5 rep max weight
    Lift 80% of that weight
    Try to add 5lbs to that weight per week
    Get stronger

cdubb52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdubb52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdubb52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdubb52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdubb52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdubb52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdubb52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdubb52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdubb52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdubb52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdubb52 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think the most important thing is to keep benching. Muscle memory.
    Also, if you want a few exercises look up; floor press, pin press(lockout). With dumbbells and barbells.
    Also if you are going for purely strength look in the power-lifting threads and research some of their splits
    goodluck
    NASM CPT & CES
    Studying for CSCS

Check out my website cwtotalperformance.com offer affordable online training (No b.s. pdfs...hands on app with constant interaction)

Bench 365
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 525