matt2792 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Struggling with weight gain - beginner

Hi

I'm new here and just looking for some advice. I've recently started trying to gain weight, probably over the past 6 months, i was just under 10st and now am 12st, i understand that early gains are a lot easier but i've been stuck around 12st for a while now and was wondering if anyone could help me out if there's something wrong with my diet.

I eat roughly between 3400 and 3600 calories a day, sometimes less sometimes more but mostly in that range.
    My breakdown is, again roughly
    Carbs - 450 - 500g
    Protein - 175-200g
    Fat - 75-90g

I have always had a pretty fast metabolism, meaning i do have to pile on the food like this, and its how i gained my first 2 stone, but now it just seems to have slowed/stopped entirely. My diet isn't exactly the best in the world i will admit, but i try to make sure i get a good source of protein with each meal, along with carbs and the like.

My meal routine is pretty regimented, due to my work i usually take my 3 shakes (which are 150g oats mixed with 25g of whey protein), at the exact same times a day, and my lunch and dinner are again at the same time most days.

Unfortunately i dont usually eat for the first hour or so after i wake up, due to the fact i get very nauseous in the mornings from high levels of stomach acid, not sure if this is causing an issue? Also thought i should point out i am an insulin controlled type 1 diabetic using an insulin pump, i have relatively good control but sometimes it can go a bit haywire.

In terms of my goals, i would probably want to get to like 13st but lean, so I'm guessing i would need to bulk to 13 1/2st - 14st before thinking of serious cutting.

Of course i am completely in the dark when it comes to this stuff i will admit, so if you think i'm just being impatient and need to wait or if im eating too little or even too much just say, any and all advice would be appreciated.

cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by matt2792 View Post
    Hi

I'm new here and just looking for some advice. I've recently started trying to gain weight, probably over the past 5-6 months, i was just under 10st and now am 12st, i understand that early gains are a lot easier but i've been stuck around 12st for a while now and was wondering if anyone could help me out if there's something wrong with my diet.

I eat roughly between 3400 and 3600 calories a day, sometimes less sometimes more but mostly in that range.
    Carbs - 450 - 500g
    Protein - 175-200g
    Fat - 75-90g

I have always had a pretty fast metabolism, meaning i do have to pile on the food like this, and its how i gained my first 2 stone, but now it just seems to have slowed/stopped entirely. My diet isn't exactly the best in the world i will admit, but i try to make sure i get a good source of protein with each meal, along with carbs and the like.

My meal routine is pretty regimented, due to my work i usually take my 3 shakes (which are 150g oats mixed with 25g of whey protein), at the exact same times a day, and my lunch and dinner are again at the same time most days.

Unfortunately i dont usually eat for the first hour or so after i wake up, due to the fact i get very nauseous in the mornings from high levels of stomach acid, not sure if this is causing an issue? Also thought i should point out i am an insulin controlled type 1 diabetic using an insulin pump, i have relatively good control but sometimes it can go a bit haywire.

Of course i am completely in the dark when it comes to this stuff i will admit, so if you think i'm just being impatient and need to wait or if im eating too little or even too much just say, any and all advice would be appreciated.
    1. If weight gain stopped, increase calories. It may seem like a lot, but calories in > calories out results in weight gain.
    2. Protein isn't necessary at each meal if you are hitting your target amount throughout the day
    3. Meal timing and food choices are rather insignificant compared to reaching your target calories and nutrients...however, do what you prefer and what works best taking into consideration your diabetes.

if that doesn't cover all your questions, feel free to ask more

db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by matt2792 View Post
    Hi

I'm new here and just looking for some advice. I've recently started trying to gain weight, probably over the past 6 months, i was just under 10st and now am 12st, i understand that early gains are a lot easier but i've been stuck around 12st for a while now and was wondering if anyone could help me out if there's something wrong with my diet.

Carbs - 450 - 500g
    Protein - 175-200g
    Fat - 75-90g

In terms of my goals, i would probably want to get to like 13st but lean, so I'm guessing i would need to bulk to 13 1/2st - 14st before thinking of serious cutting.

If you aren't gaining weight you aren't eating enough calories. It really is that simple. What you roughly eat doesn't matter because estimates are just that and could be way off.

Buy a food scale and start counting calories. Increase by 2-300 / day until you start gaining weight!

Edit: try more fat and less carbs. Fat is the easiest macro to get the calories in. Nuts, eggs, cheese, peanut butter. You can eat as much fat as you want as long as you stay within your calorie intake. 4-500 carbs isn't really necessary.
    Steak and eggs and eggs and steak.

My Training Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158447513

rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100)
    if its haywire then talk to your endocrinologist