watchstrap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Extreamly basic but targeted gym routine - doing the right thing?

Hello, looking for some advise regarding the difference between full on body building and just getting some muscle definition.

I started going to the gym a while ago but having read a lot and seen a lot of vids on various programs and routines online I bounced around various exercises and wot not, trying different things....gaining a tiny bit of arm mass but generally not accomplishing much.

One of the main things I think I have an issue with when reading all the available programs is that it all seems to be geared at proper body 'building' whereas I am not at all interested in getting bigger or changing my shape drastically - im quite slim and happy with my overall shape, my main goal is to get some muscle definition in my arms and abs. By definition I mean if i have my arms at rest by my sides, clearly being able to see by bi and triceps (and visible stomach muscle).

I started on machines and noticed after a while that it was much better to forget them altogether and just stick with free weights. So I tried different things but eventually settled with what I am doing at the moment....

once warmed up i'll start on the floor and do as many reverse crunches as I can in a set, wait 30 sec-ish and do another set etc...up to 4 sets then ill do the same but with normal crunches and then plank for as long as i can.

after that ill go to the weights and bench press. At the moment im using about 25kg, my first couple of sets i can do 8-10 reps, after that tho it goes down to about 6-8. I pause about 30-seconds between sets and do as many as i can until I cant manage 6 reps in a set....then ill go back to the floor and repeat.

Because no matter what i do to try and keep it even i always seem to put more effort into the weight with my right arm than left, so maybe about half way through my session and then again at the end i will do some lifting with just my left arm with the 1 handed weights (12kg). Again about 6 reps per set and as many sets as i can do.

I do this every weekday, atm I can only last about 30 min because i missed a week (feels like im starting all over again) but i know soon enough ill be back at 1 hour sessions.

I have two main questions - given my goals, am i doing the right thing? I have avoided the "programs" because they all cover stuff im not bothered about (remember im not looking to be a tank) and given the fairly specific areas im trying to tone up it just feels better to focus on those areas alone (is this a bad mindset?)

also, in regards to progression, how do you know when to add weight? do you wait until your current amount is just easy? and how do you measure easy? should i be looking at how many sets I can do or should I be looking at how many reps i can do in a set? ie if adding weight means i go from doing 6 sets of 6 reps to only being able to manage 3 sets - is that ok or have i added too much etc etc?

thanks

__r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yes, training only specific body parts will make you look awkward, just google "skip leg day" if you don't believe me.
    Follow a good routine and read the instructions there, that will answer all your questions.

Valerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Valerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Valerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Valerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Valerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Valerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Valerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Valerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Valerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Valerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Valerun is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The thing is that your not going to get huge by following a proper routine unless you are eating adequately, and even with that it will take a LONG time. So given that, from what you said, your sound like an ectomorph and your goal is to not put on weight, there is nothing to worry about in terms of having too much size.

The only way to "look" muscular is to have more muscle or a lower body fat %.

From what you describe, your workout seems move like cardio then weight training, so this isn't a factor, but if you were to train properly this way you would be very prone to injury as a result of muscular inbalance.

At the end of the day it is a question of preference, so it's up to you to decide what you want to do