Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    On the road to 200 lbs!!! smashweights's Avatar
    smashweights has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

3 weeks out, need help with last details

Hey everyone,
    I was hoping to get some help putting some finishing touches on my precontest dieting. This is my first show, so I'm trying to figure this ish out. Shows are the Ohio Natural BB Fed. Mr. Natural (Sep. 30) and NPC Big Dust Classic (Oct. 14).

Quick stats:
    21 years old, 5'9", 155.5b lbs. (down from 176), plan to compete lightweight
    Training exp. 2 years and lift 5 days/week, each group once/week @ 6-8 rep range. One additional quad workout on a separate day from legs. Cardio 3x week (HIIT for 15 mins twice, 30 mins steady state once)

Currently my diet looks like this, cals are still a bit high, but my metabolism is very fast (never got above 9% bf offseason).

7:30- 4 egg whites, 1 whole, 1/2 cup oats, 1 scoop whey
    10:00- 4oz. salmon, 1/4 cup cashews, 1 cup veggies
    12:30- 4oz. chicken, 1 cup veggies
    2:30- 4oz. round steak, 1/4 cup brown rice, 1 cup veggies, 1 grapefruit
    3:30- 1 scoop whey
    ((Workout @ 4))- BCAAs, glutamine, amino acid tabs
    5:30- 8 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1/4 cup oats, 1 grapefruit
    8:00- 4oz. chicken, 1 cup veggies
    10:30- 1.5 cup dry curd cottage cheese, 1 tbsp. flax oil

I also currently "carb up" twice per week, on days i train quads, and double my carb intake while cutting all major fat sources (whole eggs, nuts, flax) to prevent excess calories.

This is the diet I've been on for about the last two weeks. It's about 300 cals/day less than previously, which dropped me down to 160 lbs. This brought me down to 155.4 lbs. I've been getting varying information on what's the best way to cut down for a show but this has been working out well so far, however, as the show gets closer, I'm not sure how to progress. Specifically, contest week. Should I or shouldn't I have a "crap load" the night before and day of?

Any assistance would be appreciated and let me know if you need some additional info. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

tomcat-ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomcat-ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    some pics would be nice ??

what's your bf% ?

Big Will, yea I've read Layne's article and that's what I'm mostly going by at the moment, but I've recently gotten a different dieting strategy from Scivation, who he apparently now works for, which is slightly different (more fat, less carbs). I've also heard the precontest crap loading is a bad idea. As of now, I'm following that link into the final week of the show then using the Cut Diet's final week. However, right now I'm still eating around 2,500 cals/day (300 cals down from the 3k cals that brought me down to 160) and been steady at 155.4 for about a week.

last had my bf % taken at Beverly Int. about 8 weeks out. Was ~8.9% according to them, but that seemed a little high for my condition. Not exactly sure now as they decided to ditch me since I was only spending $100 on their supps. Sorry for bitchin' here's a couple shots, they're not the best shots but that's what I've got. All but the 1st are from a week ago:
    Attached Images

GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    that shot of your serratus just inspired me to focus on cardio a lot more before my next comp.
    We need systems approach to government, no longer partisan patchwork
    adios guys, ill lurk 2/15

Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big Will C has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I've actually hired Layne to help me, so some of the info I have is more personalized. Also, I'm still 6 weeks out so I don't know too much about being as close as you are. Are you gonna do the KY Muscle by chance too?

nope, only planning on hitting these two shows at the moment. And you probably know just as much if not more about being 3 weeks out than i do cause I dont know jack! Most of what I've been doing is putting together bits and pieces of advice/info i've gathered up over the last 3-4 months.

bright, I attribute (though cant verify) most of my conditioning to dieting. Though I much appreciate the compliment!
    Last edited by smashweights; 09-09-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Originally Posted by smashweights
    Most of what I've been doing is putting together bits and pieces of advice/info i've gathered up over the last 3-4 months.
    Well, the best advice I can offer for that is . . . pick something/someone and go with it. This close, you don't need a million different people or methods trying to tell you what to do. Pick one method and go with it and that way you'll know the next time if it works or not. If you combine a bunch of methods, it will be hard to determine what worked and what didn't. Good luck man. Looking mighty lean in those pics! I'm jealous!

thanks man

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You look bigger than 155, IMO.

I'm doing figure at the Big Dust. See you there.
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

Originally Posted by Simpy
    You look bigger than 155, IMO.

I'm doing figure at the Big Dust. See you there.
    Awesome. What division(s) are you going to be in? That's what everyone said about my friend Rich who won the ONBF last year and the INBF Cardinal Classic. Hopefully I'll be blessed by your similar commenting. BTW, I weigh about 157.5 in the evening, that a more reasonable weight?

tomcat-ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomcat-ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Big Will, yea I've read Layne's article and that's what I'm mostly going by at the moment, but I've recently gotten a different dieting strategy from Scivation, who he apparently now works for, which is slightly different (more fat, less carbs). I've also heard the precontest crap loading is a bad idea. As of now, I'm following that link into the final week of the show then using the Cut Diet's final week. However, right now I'm still eating around 2,500 cals/day (300 cals down from the 3k cals that brought me down to 160) and been steady at 155.4 for about a week.

last had my bf % taken at Beverly Int. about 8 weeks out. Was ~8.9% according to them, but that seemed a little high for my condition. Not exactly sure now as they decided to ditch me since I was only spending $100 on their supps. Sorry for bitchin' here's a couple shots, they're not the best shots but that's what I've got. All but the 1st are from a week ago:
    You look very good .. there is no way that your bf% is 8.9% you are around
    4-5 % and I think ready to go ? keep up the good work.

gangsta1087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gangsta1087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gangsta1087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gangsta1087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gangsta1087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gangsta1087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gangsta1087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gangsta1087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gangsta1087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gangsta1087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gangsta1087 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    post pics from when u was 176

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    just to clarify, i'm sponsored by scivation but don't work for them

has a wealth of knowledge BB is 4 life :)'s Avatar
    BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by tomcat-ch
    You look very good .. there is no way that your bf% is 8.9% you are around
    4-5 % and I think ready to go ? keep up the good work.

4-5%......please.

Why can no one accurately estimate bodyfat from look??!! do you realise what 4% BF looks like.....how about Dexter Jackson, thats what 4% is like.

Thread starter:- You look great mate.....with how your lookin 3 weeks out, keep to the diet your on and if you look even better at the start of your final week, not holding water from the foods your eating and your water intake and your not completely flat. Dont change it.

Keep the diet the same throughout, you could make yourself look a bit better or alot worse carb depleting and loading if you deplete too much you wont fill out in time.

Just a thought.

RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RBEliminator has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good Luck mate. Your lower abs are FREAKY! Hope you do well.
    Kyle Hannah
    **SPONSORED BY CONTROLLED LABS**

Why settle for less than your absolute Best!

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BB is 4 life :)
    4-5%......please.

Why can no one accurately estimate bodyfat from look??!! do you realise what 4% BF looks like.....how about Dexter Jackson, thats what 4% is like.

Thread starter:- You look great mate.....with how your lookin 3 weeks out, keep to the diet your on and if you look even better at the start of your final week, not holding water from the foods your eating and your water intake and your not completely flat. Dont change it.

Keep the diet the same throughout, you could make yourself look a bit better or alot worse carb depleting and loading if you deplete too much you wont fill out in time.

Just a thought.
    Do you think only because his name is Dexter Jackson he is allowed to have
    4% BF and only people who gear get that far down ? stupide response of yours: no wonder of a guy at your age

Yes the look is what counts and yes I can say about what kind of bf% this guy here has... or do you trust in inaccurate digital fat calippers ????

This guy is close to 5%.

He is at least much harder and not as bloaded as you on your pics .
    Last edited by tomcat-ch; 09-10-2006 at 02:40 AM.

BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Awesome. What division(s) are you going to be in? That's what everyone said about my friend Rich who won the ONBF last year and the INBF Cardinal Classic. Hopefully I'll be blessed by your similar commenting. BTW, I weigh about 157.5 in the evening, that a more reasonable weight?

Bro remember one thing, it aint about how much you weigh, its how much you look like you weigh....

If someone asks me my weight ( im 4 weeks out ) i ask them first what they think i am, they're normally wrong by 21-28lbs.....i weigh 180lbs exactly right now and they normally think im between 14 stone 7 and 15 stone.... ( 205 - 210lbs ).

bellisima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellisima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellisima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellisima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellisima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellisima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellisima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellisima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellisima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellisima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellisima has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey everyone,
    I was hoping to get some help putting some finishing touches on my precontest dieting. This is my first show, so I'm trying to figure this ish out. Shows are the Ohio Natural BB Fed. Mr. Natural (Sep. 30) and NPC Big Dust Classic (Oct. 14).

Quick stats:
    21 years old, 5'9", 155.5b lbs. (down from 176), plan to compete lightweight
    Training exp. 2 years and lift 5 days/week, each group once/week @ 6-8 rep range. One additional quad workout on a separate day from legs. Cardio 3x week (HIIT for 15 mins twice, 30 mins steady state once)

Currently my diet looks like this, cals are still a bit high, but my metabolism is very fast (never got above 9% bf offseason).

7:30- 4 egg whites, 1 whole, 1/2 cup oats, 1 scoop whey
    10:00- 4oz. salmon, 1/4 cup cashews, 1 cup veggies
    12:30- 4oz. chicken, 1 cup veggies
    2:30- 4oz. round steak, 1/4 cup brown rice, 1 cup veggies, 1 grapefruit
    3:30- 1 scoop whey
    ((Workout @ 4))- BCAAs, glutamine, amino acid tabs
    5:30- 8 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1/4 cup oats, 1 grapefruit
    8:00- 4oz. chicken, 1 cup veggies
    10:30- 1.5 cup dry curd cottage cheese, 1 tbsp. flax oil

I also currently "carb up" twice per week, on days i train quads, and double my carb intake while cutting all major fat sources (whole eggs, nuts, flax) to prevent excess calories.

This is the diet I've been on for about the last two weeks. It's about 300 cals/day less than previously, which dropped me down to 160 lbs. This brought me down to 155.4 lbs. I've been getting varying information on what's the best way to cut down for a show but this has been working out well so far, however, as the show gets closer, I'm not sure how to progress. Specifically, contest week. Should I or shouldn't I have a "crap load" the night before and day of?

Any assistance would be appreciated and let me know if you need some additional info. Thanks in advance for the help!!

WOW U LOOK LIKE UR READY NOW AFTER LOOKING AT UR PICS!
    I THINK U SHOULD BE CAREFUL ABOUT BEING TO DEPLEATED U MIGHT LOOK FLAT!JUST BE CAREFUL- SORRY IM NOT AN EXPERT BUT I ALSO HAVE A FAST METABOLISM AND WHEN I WAS GETTING READY FOR MY SHOWS I WAS LIKE READY EVERY WEEKEND DAMMIT SO I HAD TO UP ON MY CARBS.
    U LOOK GREAT! LET US KNOW HOW U DO!

Originally Posted by str8flexed
    just to clarify, i'm sponsored by scivation but don't work for them
    my bad layne, I just noticed you recently appeared on their advisory board.

tomcat, they calculated me at 8.9% about 8 weeks out (5 weeks ago, roughly the pictures below).

BB4Life, yea I know what you mean. Whatever weight I look my best at, that's what I want to come in at. However, it'd be a lot easier on me to not miss lightweight by 1-2 pounds.

So the concensus seems to be "stick with where I'm at right now, don't overdeplete and carb up like crazy the night before?" I've not been below about 140g carbs yet. I think I'll run with Layne's final week prep per that article linked above (carb up Monday, taper to friday, pound the night before and day of) but not drop below that 140g mark. Also, I'll do the sodium/water intake suggestions (high sod/water early week and taper down)

One thing that interested me from the Scivation diet was the 45-60min before bedtime cheesecake meal. Would this be a good choice? They also suggest another large cheesecake slice (actually 1/2 a cheesecake) along with 2 eggs, raisins, and honey the early morning of the show followed later by more cheesecake, almond butter, some meat and finally a snickers bar 30-45 mins before stepping onstage. Comments? Also, what opinions do you all have on utilizing taraxatome and uva ursi the final week?

Oh, and these are for you gangsta, go easy on me cause I hadnt started posing practice yet. Pics at 176 lbs, June 18th:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by smashweights; 09-10-2006 at 10:41 AM.

Originally Posted by tomcat-ch
    Do you think only because his name is Dexter Jackson he is allowed to have
    4% BF and only people who gear get that far down ? stupide response of yours: no wonder of a guy at your age

Yes the look is what counts and yes I can say about what kind of bf% this guy here has... or do you trust in inaccurate digital fat calippers ????

This guy is close to 5%.

He is at least much harder and not as bloaded as you on your pics .

Whoa only just saw your killer esponse to my not agreeing with you on something......how about grow up....

Childish response much at the end, i liked that one bro....i was 5 weeks out from my first contest and at that point i had been dieting for 3 weeks so overall, i dont think i looked to bad ..... i dont bother checking my fat levels i just go off the mirror, doesnt matter if your fukkin 3% or 12% its about how you look, same with weight.....

And where did the little spastic fit about only dexter jackson being able to have 4% bodyfat because of his name and only people that take gear being able to get that far down come from??!! Just out of curiousity.....i dont remember mentioning anything about only Dexter being able to get there and only people on gear getting that low.......so which orifice did you pull that from guy??? Stupid response on my part.....please, i merely disagreed with you and you throw your dummy out of your crib and wail like a new born, dont like people not saying your right eh?!!

My age??? Whats that got to do with anything??

God, old people.....yes.....people your age are considered old.....these days talk about respecting your elders and blah blah etc....then they go and act as juvenile as any 15 year old and call people names and talk trash like this.

Respect works both ways tool.

Smashweights didnt have an epi at me and its his fat levels were talking about, not yours, your not his dietician, your not his trainer, you dont know him perosnally yet you jump down my E-throat because i say your wrong. Get over yourself.

Not trying to be an ass, but can you guys bitch it out somewhere that's not my thread? This contest is probably the biggest culmination of hardwork I've ever been involved in and, from other board experience, comments like these just send topics spiralling off on an argument tangent. Thanks in advance.

Not trying to be an ass, but can you guys bitch it out somewhere that's not my thread? This contest is probably the biggest culmination of hardwork I've ever been involved in and, from other board experience, comments like these just send topics spiralling off on an argument tangent. Thanks in advance.

Hahaha dont worry bro, im done with that ****, like i said ina post after that, you look awesome and keep going.....

Im also preping for a contest and i aint got the time or patients for **** like that.
    In fact, its time to go cook me some chicken, and practice my posing routine again haha, 3rd time today.

So the concensus seems to be "stick with where I'm at right now, don't overdeplete and carb up like crazy the night before?" I've not been below about 140g carbs yet. I think I'll run with Layne's final week prep per that article linked above (carb up Monday, taper to friday, pound the night before and day of) but not drop below that 140g mark. Also, I'll do the sodium/water intake suggestions (high sod/water early week and taper down)

One thing that interested me from the Scivation diet was the 45-60min before bedtime cheesecake meal. Would this be a good choice? They also suggest another large cheesecake slice (actually 1/2 a cheesecake) along with 2 eggs, raisins, and honey the early morning of the show followed later by more cheesecake, almond butter, some meat and finally a snickers bar 30-45 mins before stepping onstage. Comments? Also, what opinions do you all have on utilizing taraxatome and uva ursi the final week?
    Still looking for comments, especially on the herbal diuretics during show week as I'll need to order those soon.

Still looking for comments, especially on the herbal diuretics during show week as I'll need to order those soon.
    Don't know anything about herbal diuretics, but from what I'm told, distilled water really pulls everything, and I mean everything, out of you. Try getting up to 2 gallons per day fhe last 2 weeks and doing Layne's water plan the day before/of the show.

Hope that helps, but I would wait on someone more experienced to chime in.

TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Looking good so far, Ill be there at the Big Dust Classic with my stepdad (last years overall winner) and a few friends that is competing as well.

My name is Trent, ill see you there

please_diet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't use the diuretics. Manipulate your salt and water intake. Stick with your diet and cardio.

alright, that seems to be the recommendation i'm getting a lot, wasnt sure if i should combine that with some dandelion/uva ursi. but i wont. So what does everyone think about that final 2 days scivation prep (cheesecake stuff)?

TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Personally I would go with what you know.

It works for some people but its your choice to chance it.

jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think I'll run with Layne's final week prep per that article linked above :

Where is the link? I can't find it. Is it Layne's contest prep one?

the Scivation diet :
    Where can I find this?
    Contest Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146273283&p=911273403&posted=1#post911273403

Twitter: FrigginLean
    YouTube: Jaim91

Unless you faint, puke, or die....keep walking
    - Jillian Michaels -