No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Exclamation Want To Start Competing : Help Me Get On Track?

Okay, so I've decided I would really like to try my hand at competing.

However I'm completely new to this whole process, the different divisions, what the competition level is like, what's typical physiques are like at each level, etc. and could use A LOT of help in deciding which level/division would best suit me, and the steps to preparing for my first contest.

I asked this in the contest section already but have received no answers, so hopefully some of you guys have experience competing and can offer some advice.

My stats :
    5'6"
    151 lbs
    I'd have to guess around 12% bf (can post pics if you guys would like/it would help)

I'll be competing in North Carolina (don't know if anyone here is from NC or has experience competing here)

I'm looking at the NPC site, upcoming competitions, criteria, etc.
    From the looks of it, I feel like I'd be best competing either Open Fitness or Open Men's Physique (up to 5'7")

My questions for you guys :
    1. What is the best division/level for a beginner to competition?
    2. Should I do an open level or stay in a weight/height range to restrict my competition?
    3. If in a certain weight class, what weight class would be best for a guy my height?
    4. What is the average body type/physique for Open Fitness or Open Men's Physique levels?
    5. How far out do you guys start cutting?
    6. If I was to consider a BB division would it be best to compete at Bantam (up to 143lbs) or Light weight (143-154)
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

▬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) ▬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    just being honest, i dont think you have enough LBM and would look to small at contest lean. i would say bulk for another year or so
    You are not a fragile ornament ready to collapse into an exhausted mass of goo simply because you squatted more than once in a 7-day week.

It'd be like preparing your entire life to bang 100 chicks in a row, getting tan, hitting the gym, making sure your hair looks right and reading the Kama Sutra, only to realize when you get there that you're gay and cannot get hard in the presence of women.

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TomBremner View Post
    just being honest, i dont think you have enough LBM and would look to small at contest lean. i would say bulk for another year or so
    This was my initial thought as well but hesitated to post as I have 0 experience in BB.
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    This was my initial thought as well but hesitated to post as I have 0 experience in BB.
    Any suggestions are appreciated and taken into consideration.
    I also felt I was still a bit small, however after looking through the rules and regulations and judging criteria there were just a few reasons I took into consideration staying around this weight.

BB Bantamweight class is up to 148lbs

Or for physique/fitness they say that over muscularity is cause to be marked down, now I'm not saying I'm overly muscular, just wouldn't wanna push the boundary since I am only 5'6.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I will most likely be waiting until spring/summer '14 before I go for my first competition.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

▬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) ▬

TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by InItForFitness View Post
    Any suggestions are appreciated and taken into consideration.
    I also felt I was still a bit small, however after looking through the rules and regulations and judging criteria there were just a few reasons I took into consideration staying around this weight.

Or for physique/fitness they say that over muscularity is cause to be marked down, now I'm not saying I'm overly muscular, just wouldn't wanna push the boundary since I am only 5'6.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I will most likely be waiting until spring/summer '14 before I go for my first competition.
    you do realize from 12% to contest lean you are going to lose about 15 pounds right?
    You are not a fragile ornament ready to collapse into an exhausted mass of goo simply because you squatted more than once in a 7-day week.

It'd be like preparing your entire life to bang 100 chicks in a row, getting tan, hitting the gym, making sure your hair looks right and reading the Kama Sutra, only to realize when you get there that you're gay and cannot get hard in the presence of women.

Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need mass. Getting contest lean will make you look awful. Your short term goal should be your weight now in contest shape. That means you need at least an offseason or two. A physique is a long term process. You can't just jump in and expect to look respectable shredded. It takes building up a muscle base and muscle quality - that simply takes time

Originally Posted by Lvisaa2 View Post
    You need mass. Getting contest lean will make you look awful. Your short term goal should be your weight now in contest shape. That means you need at least an offseason or two. A physique is a long term process. You can't just jump in and expect to look respectable shredded. It takes building up a muscle base and muscle quality - that simply takes time
    forever on spread

Yes.....I'm that wrestler MASSter's Avatar
    MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    God has spoken. OP....good luck in your journey. Gonna take a bit but still an achievable goal if you stick to it.
    Who oversees the overseers?

you do realize from 12% to contest lean you are going to lose about 15 pounds right?
    I was actually wondering how much weight I'd be looking at losing to drop to competition BF% thank you.

Seems like this is the common thought, and as arrogant/stubborn as I may be I can at least see when an obvious answer is in front of me, so Ill to your guys route and not even consider competition until the 2014 season (probably mid summer or fall). Hopefully this should give me enough time to build a solid muscle base to cut.
    I understand completely this won't be an overnight process and wasn't looking to compete next month or anything, just wanted to start getting my information together on it so when I feel like I'm ready I at least have a basic understanding of what's going on.

Originally Posted by MASSter View Post
    God has spoken. OP....good luck in your journey. Gonna take a bit but still an achievable goal if you stick to it.
    Appreciate it man, I'll be doing plenty of updates and will probably be in and out asking questions throughout the process.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd consider starting a log. If you aren't familiar with them then browse some other ones and find what type of log is your style. IMO, logs are great tool especially for getting your feet wet, getting some good tips, and staying accountable/motivated. Later you may decide logging isn't for you, but I think most can benefit from keeping an active log at least for a little while

I'd consider starting a log. If you aren't familiar with them then browse some other ones and find what type of log is your style. IMO, logs are great tool especially for getting your feet wet, getting some good tips, and staying accountable/motivated. Later you may decide logging isn't for you, but I think most can benefit from keeping an active log at least for a little while
    Yeah I tried logging for the CelluCor challenge, but got inactive and lazy with it (no excuses).
    Im going to wait until the contest is over and I start on my goal to NPC Competition (3 weeks until contest ends).
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    This is an example at an international level of what wins that weight class.

Here is an example of what places #1 in the midwestern states, junior USA, junior nationals, and in the NPC nationals he placed #6 and #10 in that weight class:

Can I ask why you chose NPC? Are you planning on doing what is required to be competitive in the NPC? If not, I think you could find a more suiting fed

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    This is an example at an international level of what wins that weight class.

Here is an example of what places #1 in the midwestern states, junior USA, junior nationals, and in the NPC nationals he placed #6 and #10 in that weight class:

Holy ****...well thanks for the idea of where I need to be at least
    However I'm strongly thinking of going physique/fitness not BB.

Can I ask why you chose NPC? Are you planning on doing what is required to be competitive in the NPC? If not, I think you could find a more suiting fed
    It just seems like NPC is the big name out there, would be the toughest competition, and I take pride in never settling, I wouldn't want to win against anything less than the best competition available.
    Of course ill be putting in all the effort required for this.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Holy ****...well thanks for the idea of where I need to be at least
    However I'm strongly thinking of going physique/fitness not BB.

It just seems like NPC is the big name out there, would be the toughest competition, and I take pride in never settling, I wouldn't want to win against anything less than the best competition available.
    Of course ill be putting in all the effort required for this.
    I wasn't talking about effort

I wasn't talking about effort
    What so you mean than?
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

What so you mean than?
    Unless you plan to juice then find another fed. Look at the above physiques. Do you think those are natty?

Unless you plan to juice then find another fed. Look at the above physiques. Do you think those are natty?
    Oh okay, definitely not planning on taking that route, I was wondering how in the hell they could look so big at 148, unless they're like 5'1 or something.
    So what are some good Feds you'd suggest looking into?
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    would sub to your log, interested in progress you can make men.
    Eat the damn yolk.

Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    would sub to your log, interested in progress you can make men.
    It'll be up soon.
    Once I hear back from Lvisa on these other Feds to look into and make a more educated decision than I'll get underway.

Edit : The INBA or PNBA look like they could be good. Thoughts?
    Last edited by InItForFitness; 07-11-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Leprechauns1021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Leprechauns1021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Leprechauns1021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Leprechauns1021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Leprechauns1021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Leprechauns1021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Leprechauns1021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Leprechauns1021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Leprechauns1021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Leprechauns1021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Leprechauns1021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    u dont know that for sure. When you kill it in the gym every day, eat perfectly clean every meal and give it 100% for a decade u will be surprised what u can get natty.
    Transformation Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145176171

Originally Posted by Leprechauns1021 View Post
    u dont know that for sure. When you kill it in the gym every day, eat perfectly clean every meal and give it 100% for a decade u will be surprised what u can get natty.
    Cam, we can't all be genetic freaks like you.

As to Feds, I'm not sure. Others would be better equipped to answer. No matter what, people can slip through the cracks, but there are Feds with more rigorous testing. I do know the NPC, though, and don't think it is a good choice

Cam, we can't all be genetic freaks like you.

As to Feds, I'm not sure. Others would be better equipped to answer. No matter what, people can slip through the cracks, but there are Feds with more rigorous testing. I do know the NPC, though, and don't think it is a good choice
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'll keep searching around for a different Fed to compete in, the PNBA looks a little better, even the BB division competitors aren't very big (in comparison to the NPC).
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It'll be up soon.
    Once I hear back from Lvisa on these other Feds to look into and make a more educated decision than I'll get underway.

Edit : The INBA or PNBA look like they could be good. Thoughts?
    Stop worrying so much about which fed. You have a minimum of 1 year to bulb before you are even close to thinking about starting to cut for a show
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Matt Ogus is your height. Started his cut at ~190lb and competing ~155-160lb. You could use that as a reference.
    Sports Science & Health Undergraduate

You don't always get what you wish for,
    You get what you work for.

Bite off more than you can chew,
    Then Chew it!

Twitter: @MarkGermaine

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek