Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

is counting calories necessary?

title says it all. I read somewhere that you don't need to count calories and other places that say you do, any suggestions?

Mean_Bean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mean_Bean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mean_Bean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mean_Bean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mean_Bean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mean_Bean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mean_Bean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mean_Bean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mean_Bean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mean_Bean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mean_Bean is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is it necessary?
    Depends on what your goals are.
    Livestrong!

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you're gonna put in the sweat and effort to lift iron, wouldn't it be better to know for sure that you're in a calorie surplus to gain, a deficit to lose ...

- or -

... just leave it luck?

Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is chewing your food necessary?

tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tj124 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lol okay, let me rephrase that, i agree with the whole caloric surplus or deficit but is counting your protein carbs and fats necessary?

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Minimum amounts of protein and fat are necessary for growth. I expect - not "hope for" - results from my lifting. I take my results seriously enough to not roll dice.

Your mileage may vary.

MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tj124 View Post
    lol okay, let me rephrase that, i agree with the whole caloric surplus or deficit but is counting your protein carbs and fats necessary?
    Necessary - no. Nothing is.

It's not difficult, and knowing what you'be been consuming is important if you have hang ups down the road (ie. getting too fat, progress is stalling etc.). It will be easier to fix these problems and stay on track if you know what you're consuming.

dammnit i meant like if im eating 40/40/20 in a caloric deficit, will it FOR SURE give me better results than just eating relatively healthy and high in proteins??

BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have seen this stuff lately too- mostly from the Paleo "just eat real food" crossfit disciples.

My opinion is this- If you're fat and eat like chit then no- you can probably get great results by just eating meat, vegetables, fruits etc and you will inevitably be achieving better macros and most likely a calorie defecit based on reduced cal density compared to soft drinks, ice cream burgers etc.

If you are trying to achieve specific goals and already have an idea of what may help you get there, then the numbers game really helps fine tune that and give more assurance of results.

But that's just my opinion.
    I hate haters

Originally Posted by BWC101 View Post
    I have seen this stuff lately too- mostly from the Paleo "just eat real food" crossfit disciples.

My opinion is this- If you're fat and eat like chit then no- you can probably get great results by just eating meat, vegetables, fruits etc and you will inevitably be achieving better macros and most likely a calorie defecit based on reduced cal density compared to soft drinks, ice cream burgers etc.

If you are trying to achieve specific goals and already have an idea of what may help you get there, then the numbers game really helps fine tune that and give more assurance of results.

But that's just my opinion.
    thank you! now thts somewhat more of what i was looking for.

RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Why wouldn't you count your calories? Is it really that hard for you to do basic arithmetic?

"Just eating healthy" / "ratios instead of known minimums"

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    i just started counting a couple of weeks ago. sometimes its more effort than i like, but usually its manageable. its obnoxious going out to eat when i can't figure out the numbers, because i like to be close. at the same time i don't weight the food i eat either, so i'm not super anal.

is it worth it? for me, i'm trying to gain a bunch of muscle without so much fat, so i'm trying to be as close to my goal each day as possible. when i get bigger, i'm going to redo my math and cut. i'm hoping eventually i'll get to a size i'm happy with, and i'll be comfortable guessing my calories and macros without an app, and i'll just 'ballpark' my numbers and enjoy where i am. then i can tweak every now and then and take breaks from it.

so it comes back to your goals. if you're happy lifting weights and exercising and eating what you like; how you like: then just exercise and eat what you like without counting.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SkydogGinsberg View Post
    If you're gonna put in the sweat and effort to lift iron, wouldn't it be better to know for sure that you're in a calorie surplus to gain, a deficit to lose ...

- or -

... just leave it luck?

Minimum amounts of protein and fat are necessary for growth. I expect - not "hope for" - results from my lifting. I take my results seriously enough to not roll dice.

Your mileage may vary.
    "Just eating healthy" / "ratios instead of known minimums"

so are you saying that its a gamble if you don't count?

Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    On cut I was counting everything (That doesn't mean I wasn't cheating but if I did I would at least know what to do the very next day - eat less)

On bulk... I am still counting but more by approximation or at least if I see I got over 1000 left for the dinner I know it's gonna be hard to hit so I don't need count that much.

BigManTJ is not very well liked. (-100) BigManTJ is not very well liked. (-100) BigManTJ is not very well liked. (-100) BigManTJ is not very well liked. (-100) BigManTJ is not very well liked. (-100) BigManTJ is not very well liked. (-100) BigManTJ is not very well liked. (-100) BigManTJ is not very well liked. (-100) BigManTJ is not very well liked. (-100) BigManTJ is not very well liked. (-100) BigManTJ is not very well liked. (-100)
    Counting your calories? No, that's not necessary that's just a scheme for nutritionist to make more money.

RULES:
    1) Eat real food (If it doesn't come from the ground or have a mother; it's not good for you. Such food gives no dietary benefits and will make you fat)
    2) Eat as many calories as you can burn.
    3) When gaining muscles eat lots of proteins and carbs and split your portions evenly throughout the day.
    4) If you get hungry just make some eggs, or a small carb dish. (I pan fry dough made from flour, water, and brown sugar in olive oil.)

Also, buying a 2 dozen chicken breast, 2 dozen eggs, a sack of onions, oatmeal, pasta, sweet potatoes for about $40 will give you all the Macro Nutrients you will need for a week of training without the excess fats and sodium and the, "I feel like chit" feeling you get after eating some chit food.

Good luck, don't count your calories, it will only make your hungry or feel to full. Just eat what you can afford to burn off. Don't go to bed hungry; I eat most of my carbs at night because my body digest them better in my sleep when my muscles are repairing themselves.

Regards.
    Fapping is like food... It shouldn't be enjoyed as a reward, but rather a means to not kill yourself.
    Progress Not Perfection
    Clean Eating: The premise to success, for the occult of the aesthetic.
    Clean Eating: When you cook your own meals, because you care about the specifics of your diet.
    Garlic, is as good as ten mothers.
    Hit Me Up (Contact me)
    Instagram: ModelTreyJacques
    www.********.com/ModelTreyJacques
    Haters click here -> www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zs-7md3MTA

Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BigManTJ View Post

RULES:
    1) Eat real food (If it doesn't come from the ground or have a mother; it's not good for you. Such food gives no dietary benefits and will make you fat)
    Dunno but I think that by definition that means any food... Except water and dairy...

Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000)
    Counting your calories? No, that's not necessary that's just a scheme for nutritionist to make more money.

RULES:
    3) When gaining muscles eat lots of proteins and carbs and split your portions evenly throughout the day.
    4) If you get hungry just make some eggs, or a small carb dish. (I pan fry dough made from flour, water, and brown sugar in olive oil.)

Also, buying a 2 dozen chicken breast, 2 dozen eggs, a sack of onions, oatmeal, pasta, sweet potatoes for about $40 will give you all the Macro Nutrients you will need for a week of training without the excess fats and sodium and the, "I feel like chit" feeling you get after eating some chit food.

Good luck, don't count your calories, it will only make your hungry or feel to full. Just eat what you can afford to burn off. Don't go to bed hungry; I eat most of my carbs at night because my body digest them better in my sleep when my muscles are repairing themselves.

Regards.
    Alright. I'm just going to go ahead and suggest you either delete or edit your post. Posting this in the nutrition forum....you're going to get flamed and negged to oblivion lol.

Also, are you presuming that dairy products are 'bad' then? As far as I know cheese or milk doesn't have a mom. (inb4 duh the Cow is the mom of milk)

Don't discriminate dairy!!!!

I would like to learn more about this profitable opportunity. How's zat work exactly -- OP sends a nickel to Alan Aragon for every chicken tallied and consumed?

Do loan sharks named "Guido" knock on the door for double-interest if OP is holdin' back, skimming numbers on those carbs?

VANCOUVER CANUCKS FUK YEA MAGnitude's Avatar
    MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000)

RULES:

Regards.
    shut up
    RIP- LUC BOURDON

GO THE CANUCKS, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Chicago54Bears View Post

Also, are you presuming that dairy products are 'bad' then? As far as I know cheese or milk doesn't have a mom. (inb4 duh the Cow is the mom of milk)

Don't discriminate dairy!!!!
    Well i got concern with dairy product, I think they are overrated and people take way too much... Including me because I am addicted to the following food: Cold cereals, ice cream and greek yogurt...

But if my only goal in life was to live over 100 year old I doubt I would consume that much dairy, seriously.

Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000) Chicago54Bears is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Follix View Post
    Well i got concern with dairy product, I think they are overrated and people take way too much... Including me because I am addicted to the following food: Cold cereals, ice cream and greek yogurt...

But if my only goal in life was to live over 100 year old I doubt I would consume that much dairy, seriously.

dude, not to be an ass, but you're a 5'10 23 year old male (I assume) who weighs 130 POUNDS. I think you should be consuming a lot more of everything- not just dairy. Counting calories is only necessary to the extent of how accurate you want to be. That's it. As stated before, not tracking macros is just guesswork , and you'll likely be making very slow progress, or none at all-such as your stats indicate. Apparently you're not eating enough, and tracking calories will help you with this, guaranteed. No one here is going to make you do it- obviously it's your choice- but it's an objective statement to say that the best progress is made with tracking what you eat on a daily basis.

And truthfully, living to 100 years old is partly just being "lucky". There are all sorts of people who smoked and drank throughout their life and lived to be incredibly old....does this make cigarettes "healthy"? I don't think eating dairy is going to significantly lower your life expectancy, brah---"seriously".

soooo, should i count macros?

parkmad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parkmad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, determine your minimums by reading the stickies. Count them while you learn about your diet and what foods you like to eat to meet them. Soon you won't have to be as disciplined in counting because your diet/lifestyle will reflect your new approach.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    soooo, should i count macros?
    By tracking your macros, you'll be counting your calories at the same time. Doing so, you'll be insuring sufficiency, which, in turn, will give you the best opportunity to maximize any potential gains you might make from your hard work in the gym.

It all fits together, like the pieces of a puzzle.

Don't forget the third piece, after training and nutrition---rest.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    By tracking your macros, you'll be counting your calories at the same time. Doing so, you'll be insuring sufficiency, which, in turn, will give you the best opportunity to maximize any potential gains you might make from your hard work in the gym.

It all fits together, like the pieces of a puzzle.

Don't forget the third piece, after training and nutrition---rest.
    great response, thanks! rep+....Whoaa! didn't look at your info or anything before, You are in amazing shape man, hope i look like that when im your age!

Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You will thrash your immune system/hormones/CNS/recovery/gains without the proper protein, particularly fats, and carbs (optional in ketosis) for your weight training. If you just want to diet and not lift weights it's not as important since you're not really recovering from anything.

You're looking for a lazy, minimal effort answer so you don't have work hard. You probably won't be very successful.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    great response, thanks! rep+....Whoaa! didn't look at your info or anything before, You are in amazing shape man, hope i look like that when im your age!
    thnx

It's all about doing. And never quitting.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    thnx

It's all about doing. And never quitting.
    yeah i see that, I have about the same body mass as you did in the start, thats kind of motivating, i'm about to go for a run even though its my off day

jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Not necessary once you have a bit of experience under your belt. I can ballpark close enough to not worry about counting and get the results I'm looking for. If you haven't gone through with counting and gotten a good handle on what the amounts and portions of food you need are though, it's probably going to be tough. If you are asking the question though, I'm going to guess that you are probably someone that is going to need to count for a while first.

Also - if you don't want to count, there are also eating systems out there that will impose artificial eating rules that will get you in the ballpark and make it hard to overeat. They usually advertise themselves as some sort of magic voodoo system that gets you results, but it's really just a calorie control. Paleo, Primal and Precision Nutrition all come to mind (note - I'm not a fan of the first two as they are overly restrictive).

Any reason you are opposed to counting? It's not hard or time consuming after you get it down.